[SE] shore up, hunker down
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
everything has its wonders
Ronin did not expect to begin his season in Torchline. He didn't expect to begin it in borrowed clothes either, with a raging hangover and with no word from his husband in days. Nothing is as it should be, and so the Star does what he's always done best. He works.

Stripped to the waist - because it's hot, even if it's muggy and monsoon season is well on its way - Ronin has been heaving sandbags from the beach and up to the streets since dawn. Now the sun is well on its way to its zenith in the sky, and all the bags are lined up and ready to place in the doorways of those buildings which are closest to the canals.

He's dry eyed, now, though he can't be said to look remotely like his usual self (i.e. Ronin no longer looks like a charming mess, and he's just a bit of a mess these days) and his focus is singular. Grab a bag, heft it against a doorway, return for another. Rinse and repeat, until the sun burns his shoulders and sweat beads along his spine.
even darkness and silence

Coding base by Sky!
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
eyes can't shine unless there's something burning bright behind
Aurelia makes her way through the streets of Haulani with not so much of a singular purpose as our sad little star, Ronin. She has taken notice of the way the city seems to be coming together to prepare for the monsoons, though. She wonders if she can help but she doesn't really know where to start, or how. She's never dealt with this sort of prep before. Never had to withstand monsoons or natural disasters aboveground.

She carries a relaxed gait as she continues on her walkabout, looking for a good opportunity to offer a helping hand. People are quite busied, though. The air is hot, so she herself isn't wearing anything too heavy. A loose, thin short-sleeve billows out around her torso. Her hair's tucked back into a high ponytail, but sweat lingers on her brow already.

It's only when she spies Ronin that she takes pause. She saunters up and places one boot on the sandbag he's about to pick up, leaning forward with crossed arms and a grim frown that might tell him she's not here for fun jokes and drinking. "We need to talk."

"What's this I hear about you and Remi killing Sunjata?" Dream or no dream. If he thought just because he's squared things away with the Flood that he'll be getting off with no further social consequences, he's dead wrong.

She eyes him then, though, noticing his demeanor. She doesn't think much of it at the moment. She hasn't known Ronin long enough to tell whether this version of him is normal or falling on his ass with his tongue in a bottle is normal. And from what she's heard, he's not as innocent as he seemed before.
Aurelia
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
A foot comes down on the sandbag, but if Aurelia thinks that's going to prevent Ronin from completing his task, she'll be sorely disappointed. Tugging up the bag, her foot and all, the Star hefts it onto his shoulder before gazing down at the woman giving him daggers. A sigh leaves his lips, his free hand coming up to rub at his eyes. "I didn't do anything to Sunjata," he says in a low voice that suggests he doesn't have the energy even to defend himself. Besides, doing nothing was precisely the problem at first, so maybe he deserves the tongue lashing.

Turning away, Ronin moves to deposit the sandbag with the others he's been stacking against a doorway, glancing over his shoulder at Aurelia as if to invite her to walk and berate, if she'd be so kind. "I've already said my apologies to Sunjata. And Remi and I aren't doing anything these days, so once you've gotten this all off your chest, maybe we can move on?"

Coding base by Sky!
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
She pulls her foot back so as not to be knocked off her balance, but it doesn't make her any less willing to confront him. There is a noticeable pause in the start of her onslaught, however, when his voice rings clear with a type of exhaustion Aurelia knows all too well. The emotional kind. It might be easy to dismiss it as being brought on by dragging sandbags around, but she takes it that demigods could withstand a whole hell of a lot more than that.

Never mind it anyway. This is about Sunjata. Ronin can brood because he's guilty if he wants. If he feels guilty, maybe it's because he should. So yes, Aurelia marches after him with her arms folded firmly over her chest.

"Move on? I thought you were his friend, Ronin," she snaps with a bite to her words, "you said, I quote, "he needs to learn how to have fun" - or whatever. How's he ever supposed to catch a break with two demigods leaping down his throat at the first sign of trouble? What proof did you have to do that to him? Or let someone else do it. It's not any better, you know," she boldly moves to cut him off in his trail, glaring indignantly at him. "was it really only someone's word?" The fire in her gaze settles a little as she searches his face.
Aurelia
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
The sandbag lands with an almighty thump against a nearby wall, splitting on impact and causing a couple of people nearby to give both Aurelia and Ronin that look (you know, the I'm gonna get out of here before the shit hits the fan look). And as the Star draws up to his full height, his blue eyes dark and his expression darker still, it seems as though things are about to take a rather dangerous turn.

But when he speaks, his voice is soft and warm and guilty. "Believe me when I say what we did was the lesser of two evils. I'm still sorry about it, and it was still wrong. And I'll be making it up to Sunjata for a very long time. If you're angry with me, please take a cheap shot - I won't stop you. But could we just... not berate me any more, if that's cool with you."

Coding base by Sky!
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Even if Ronin made a show to intimidate her, she would be no weak thing to push aside. Aurelia's always been a fighter, a survivor; the stone that pushes against the tide with rigid, effortless tenacity. She doesn't flinch and, in comparison to some of the other people she's met in Torchline, Ronin's not nearly as tall.

So she squares against him with a puff of her chest, green eyes steeling against blue.

The soften of Ronin's voice plays its own shock factor but Aurelia's still not perturbed. Vengeance has always run its fine course through her heated blood, and as soon as the invitation hits the air, so does her fist hit Ronin's jaw. It's nothing in comparison to a demi-god's strength, nothing to create any sort of lasting damage, but enough to get the message across that she means it.

"Make it up all you want, Ronin," she smacks, pulling back her extended arm, another haughty huff of air pushed through her lungs, "but I'll remember this. If you fuck with any of mine again, I'll be sure give you what you deserve. Or die trying." Her words are icy against the humid air of Torchline, a solid promise.

Her gaze observes him intently, wondering if she should actually expect a physical retaliation.
Aurelia
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Damn but the girl can pack a punch. Strength and demigodliness notwithstanding, Ronin still feels it as her fist cracks against his jaw, causing him to stagger back a bit. His mouth is bloodied where his lip has split against his teeth, and there'll be a lovely little bruise there in the morning. He mutters a curse under his breath and straightens back up, touching his fingers to the wound and letting out a soft sigh. But Aurelia's threats, biting as they are, true as they might be, don't do as much to intimidate the Star as they might have done once.

"Okay," he says, stepping past her again to go back and retrieve the next sand bag. He'll have to make up for the one he broke open, so another trip to the beach will be in order. "I'll keep that in mind," he adds over his shoulder; it might sound mocking and patronising, if it weren't for the genuine and quiet sincerity in his voice.

Coding base by Sky!
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
The throbbing in her knuckles starts up slow, but it's not long before it builds into a burning, painful sensation. Soon her expression flinches, cheeks fill with red color, and she can't hold it back anymore. "Aah-!" She grabs at her wrist, lips contorting with the pain, a string of curses flung out, "Shit! What the fu-uuuck!"

The initial burn soon dies down, but it does leave her with a pulsing soreness she still can't quite ignore. She trails after him, rubbing her knuckles. "Look," she huffs, "goddamnit- ow- I know he's not from the best of places and he's not exactly a saint himself. I- I get it, I do," she shakes her head, grumbling more about her hand, "I didn't wanna hit you in the first place, Ronin, and now I definitely don't wanna have to do it again. He needs someone sticking up for him, right? So can we do that?" She hesitates a little, "Please."

Her brows press together into deeper concern and she stares at him speculatively, "What's wrong with you anyway? Where's all your... spunk? I thought it'd be a fight for sure."
Aurelia
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Already loaded with another sandbag over his shoulder, Ronin raises his eyebrows at Aurelia as she starts to curse and wave her hand about. He's about to ask if she's alright when she starts talking again, and even with bloody teeth and a throbbing jaw, he manages to look properly contrite as if what has happened in his fault. (It kind of is, if he thinks about it all that much). What's wrong with you? she asks, and he scoffs out a humourless laugh that threatens to turn into something much less hard.

"I stuck up for Sunjata, after what happened with the dream," he tells her. "And it ended my marriage. So... yeah, we can do that. Of course we can. It's the only thing I can do now. I'm sorry about what happened to Jata - I am, and I'm making up for it as best I know how. I just don't have it in me to be cheerful about it, if it's all the same to you."

Coding base by Sky!
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
It's hard to stay mad at someone she already considered a newfound friend of hers, even if her initial loyalty to Sunjata burns a lot brighter. It's especially challenging when he looks so sorry about things, too. Her expression relaxes, unhinging from that angry furrow into something more sympathetic and even apologetic herself.

"Damn..." she didn't know he was married, either, so it's a bit of a shock to her that he is and, on top of that, now he's suddenly not. Aurelia's relationship with Milo is the longest-standing one she's ever had in her entire life, no time for love and whatnot before, but she does understand to an extent. The love her parents had for one another was palpable, it was pure, it was true. When her father died, her mother died with him in spirit. She's seen the pain before, and now that she knows, she can see it in Ronin too. That familiarly defeated, broken heart.

Instead of speaking, she goes to aid him with the rest of the sandbags. It may not be with the same ease as him, but Aurelia's strong enough to heave one up after him. This is one of the best ways she knows how to apologize, by showing it. So she makes the rounds after him in a concentrated, pregnant silence.

She tosses a bag down in its designated place, suddenly chuckling at the misfortune. "Sometimes every day feels like the worst, doesn't it?" she swallows hard and stares down, thinking of something far off and unreachable. "Like everything you have still isn't enough."
Aurelia
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
The help is appreciated, as is the silence. And damn just about sums it up, too, so Ronin lets it go, lets them work uninterrupted for a time. He barely breaks a sweat these days, but the consistent burn of his muscles from the heavy lifting is satisfying in its familiarity, and by the time Aurelia speaks again and the Star sets down the last of the bags in its place, he's already feeling marginally better. Granted, it helps that she's not yelling at him any more, or punching him in the face.

"It absolutely does feel like that." He barks out a laugh, straightening up and rolling his shoulders. "At least LongNight is over and the monsoons haven't hit us yet. You ever been through the rainy season here?" he asks, glancing along at the row of sandbags and seeming satisfied. "Thanks, by the way. For your help - and for sticking up for Sunjata, even if it was at my expense." Maybe there's a ghost of a smile on his face. Maybe.

Coding base by Sky!
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
He laughs in his agreement and she lifts her chin to look up at him reactionarily. Glad to see he's not holding much of a grudge against her for that punch, she gives a small, quizzical smile.

"No, I've only been here since Longheat," she admits. So it would have been sometime after the monsoons had last hit. "Sunjata was trying to prevent them from hitting Torchline so hard, so hopefully... I won't have to know what you're talking about."

At the sound of 'thanks', Aurelia's lips falter and her brows furrow. She's gotten thanked a lot more than usual lately and that's great and all, but she's not sure why Ronin's thanking her. She just punched him without giving him a chance to explain things. She was fine with pretending it didn't happen, but now he has to go and make her feel even more guilty about doing that.

"Sorry about that," she grimaces slightly, glancing down towards the blood on his fattened lip. "And sorry to hear about your marriage..." Her gaze dips down towards the ground for a bit.

"I'm... really not any better than you. We're both just doing what we think is right. At least that means we're not really bad people. Just good people that do bad shit sometimes? Or something like that," she shrugs, lips pursing. "Hopefully, from here on out we'll be on the same side of things. But! At least now you know I'll kick ass for my friends, huh?" She tilts her head and gives him a more humorous smile this time.
Aurelia
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Running his fingers back through his hair, Ronin moves to sit on a low wall where there's a canteen of water waiting. He unscrews the top, takes a drink and offers it out to Aurelia. "I hope you don't ever have to know what I'm talking about. I've only experienced one monsoon season, and it was more than enough for me. The wind was what surprised me, more than the rain." It's strange now, to even think about it compared to now. So much kept changing, season by season, and it never feels as though they get a break.

It's a surprise to hear Aurelia apologise, and Ronin finds himself smiling to her as if to tell her not to worry about it. "Listen, I probably deserved it." He waves her away. His marriage, though, is less easy to dismiss, Ronin's smile inching towards the painful as he drops his gaze. "I won't say it's okay because it isn't, but... thanks. Good people who do bad things pretty much sums me up, I think. And you're right - I do know that now. Maybe I can join those illustrious ranks one day, and have you kick ass on my behalf."

Coding base by Sky!
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
"Hope that's not vodka," she moves to take the canteen and gives him smirk. To her relief, it's water, and she takes a few generous swigs of it. It's smooth going down and coaxes a long sigh of relief afterwards. She leans back against the wall beside him, a lot less tense than before. Relaxed, even. "I actually wouldn't mind a bit of wind and rain right about now... maybe not monsoon-level, though," moving a stray strand of curled hair away from her face, she asks with a little more interest, "so you haven't lived here long, then?"

So he probably did deserve it, at least a little. She'll make no attempt at arguing with that. But the desire to be 'among the ranks' of her friends causes her to laugh brightly and shake her head.

"What do you mean? All the shit I put you through, I'm surprised you'd even want that. But hey, whatever floats your boat," and she gives him a stern yet daring look, "Anyway it's only real friends that kick each other's asses. I've done my part already," she levels him with a shit-eating grin, but then an idea strikes her. "Meet me at the Slagveld sometime and maybe you can make it more official - if you think you've got what it takes." She chuckles again and offers him the canteen back.
Aurelia