{SE} You Keep it Copacetic
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
Locke

im all for compassion
Longnight is finally over and just in time for monsoon season. He's been through enough of them that they don't really bother him much anymore. That said, places need to be built up, reinforced, all that jazz. He likes helping out, even if he pretends he's not that kinda guy. But this place is his home and like hell will he let it go to more shit than it already is. Sure there's shit going on with the Governor but he couldn't care less about it. As if politics really matter in a place like this.

And if they start actually mattering, then he'll make an opinion of it.

He's making his way down a long side alley, between rows of markets and houses, just kind of looking for things to do. He's already helped someone carry some wood to board up their windows. It's not much but it's honest work which is more than he can say about most of what he does. As he's coming out of the alley, he thinks that maybe he spots a certain raven haired woman. He still feels kind of bad for how he left her..

Maybe she could use his help.. To make up for it.

Maeve
but not on my dime
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Monsoon season is her least favorite time of the year. She loves rain. She loves when the clouds get dark and the ocean churns, but she does not like monsoons. Especially not the thunder and winds that rattle her windows. Admittedly, she is terrified of thunder. Not that she would ever admit it openly. This year seems worse. Not that the monsoons are already here, but there is something in the air. With the attack on the Governor's house and all the ruckus that's been stirred up because of politics, the air feels heavier than usual.

Maeve carefully makes her way through the streets, intent on stocking up on the necessary supplies before the merchants sell out from everyone else trying to do the same. Even though she isn't the oldest girl at the brothel, they others tend to look up to her. Whether as an older sister or a mother varies, but it's part of her job to help take care of them. Hence why she's the one doing the shopping.

Her steps are slower than usual, a slight limp almost apparent in her gate. Pain still radiates from her temple, causing a headache to form behind her eyes that makes the pale sun overhead all that worse. Her hair is pulled up into a ponytail, trying to keep the strands off of her neck so she doesn't get too hot while she wanders.
when you are not fed love on a silver spoon
you learn to lick it off of knives

Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Locke

im all for compassion
She's limping which is kinda.. odd. Did someone hurt her? They're not close or anything but the thought still makes his jaw clench. She also looks different, maybe more.. vulnerable. It's clear she's maybe not entirely in her element here. The sun really does show off how pale she really is though and he has not think about how slender her neck is. She's not at work, she's probably not down for flirting.

He makes his way up to her, lightly touching her arm, "Maeve?" He doesn't want to startle her but he's not really sure how else to approach. He's dressed pretty simply as usual, white, loose, flowy shit. His arms are bare because when does he ever have them covered. He's starting to think it's time for a new tattoo but he's not sure of what yet..

"You uh.. need some help? Getting the uh.. brothel ready for the monsoons?" He's got nothing else to do really..
but not on my dime
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

She's too focused on trying to find the next thing on her list to realize he's approaching. His touch on her arm startles her and she turns quickly, eyes wide. It's not until she realizes who it is that she lets out a breath, "You startled me." She breathes, eyes running over him quickly. He's less dressed up than he was when he came into the brothel the other night. She's dressed down as well. Wearing a pair of linen trousers and a loose linen shirt, a wide belt cinching her waist. There is a lovely bruise at her temple, fresh as is the wound there.

"I- I wouldn't mind help." Maeve says softly, swallowing thickly as she looks up at him, "Yeah.. Trying to stock up on supplies in case something happens with the girls. Depending on how bad it gets we can't really leave, but you know that." She offers a faint smile to him.

Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
Locke

im all for compassion
Oh shit he scared her. That's exactly what he was trying not to do. Whoops. He holds his hands up when she turns around so she knows he doesn't have anything before dropping them to his sides. "Shit, sorry. Didn't mean to startle you." He kind of chuckles before scratching the back of his neck. Fuck, why does he feel so awkward around her? And people in general? He takes a little half step back to give her space.

"Yeah? Makes sense. Sure it's pretty safe there once things are hunkered down. You lead the way and I'll carry stuff? Can't imagine it doesn't get heavy." He gives her a quick look over with a minor frown. Looks like she's in rough shape. He's always in rough shape but the blemishes seem so dark against her pale skin. "You okay? Looked like you were limping.. Someone hurt you?"

Not that he cares. Really. he doesn't.
but not on my dime
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

His apology is unexpected, but she's not mad at him. Her lips curl into a faint smile and she shakes her head, "It's okay.. I was just-" She trails off for a moment, "just lost in thought, I suppose. This time of year is a bit stressful." Maeve admits, a faint flush on her cheeks as she shifts the basket she's carrying on her arm. He seems so boyish outside of the dark inside of the brothel. Daylight does him well, she thinks. Makes him a little softer. A little friendlier.

"Thank you.." She passes him the basket after a moment, holding onto her list tightly when he asks how she is. Maeve rubs the back of her neck, looking down for a moment, "No.. No one hurt me. It was rather silly actually." She starts, trying to play it off despite the way her face heats with embarrassment. "I went up to Wishtide and when I was there some of those blasted vines decided it would be amusing to trip me. I fell and hit my head."

Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i don't mind compassion
"It really is.." He knows she's younger than he is, or at least he thinks she is. Not sure how much but.. Surely she's dealt with this less than him. And it's not like a brothel is the most well fortified place in the world. It can clearly stand up to the storms but doesn't mean it's a fortress. Or something. He gets it. He gives her a little, crooked grin as  he takes the basket.

"Wow.. Uh. Remind me to not let you go to the wilds again? Yeah?" As if he has any control over it. "So uh. What's next on the list? I don't normally do this shit for free so you know.. Take advantage of my kindness." Not that he really expects anyone to pay this time of the year. It feels like bad taboo to make someone pay him for help. They usually do, in some small way, food or whatever, and that's enough for him. Not sure what she could give him. A free night maybe? He kind of wants to tease her about it but they're not friends and he's no longer paying her to be friendly.
just not on my dime
LOCKE
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
I don't trust nobody
Maeve nods slowly, taking another breath and making herself try to relax, "You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but the storms still freak me out a bit. " She admits, finally easing her grip on the piece of parchment she has in her hand. The paper was already wrinkled before, but now there are creases from where her fingers pressed in to the delicate sheet. Some of the letters smeared from her fingers. Maeve returns his grin with a small one of her own.

That is until he speaks and she grimaces, cheeks nice and pink now, "Listen... Those vines are cruel! I was just minding my own business and-" She huffs, shaking her head, "One of the few times I go out there and of course something like this happened." Maeve motions up towards her temple where the bruise is still nice and purple on her skin.

She's thankful for the change of subject and is quick to move on. "Candles, wicks for the lanterns, and more oil. Hopefully I'll be able to get it all in one place. If we're lucky they'll have someone deliver the candles and oil to us so we don't have to lug it around." Maeve starts back on her original path, glancing over at him and rolling her eyes. The movement makes her head hurt. "What's your going rate? A crust of bread and some water?" She drawls, arching a brow and ignoring the sting as it causes her skin to pull.
and nobody trusts me

Maeve
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i don't mind compassion
He raises an eyebrow, "The storms scare you?" That checks out maybe. "I kinda like 'em. But we've had 'em since I was little." He's pretty sure she's not from here. She doesn't look like she's from Torchline, then again, does anyone really? Plus didn't she something about it? "Helps to have something fun to do during it. Used to play board games a lot." When he spent time with his siblings and shit. Now he usually just gets drunk off his tits and sleeps through as much of it as possible.

He kind of chuckles, shaking his head as she talks. "Mhm, they just had it against you, huh? Should be more careful. Shit's dangerous." As if he doesn't go out there. He's been thinking about going soon. Either capture something to sell or maybe some plants. Some of the rarer shit can be traded for some pretty pricey shit. He's gotta have a case of booze on hand for when Aurelia gets back anyway.

He follows after her, actually intent on helping. "That all? You got enough food and stuff? First aid stuff? Unlikely to get hurt but should always be prepared." He tries to ignore the faint sound of worry in his voice. It's harder to hide on his face but that quickly disappears when she sasses him. "What the fuck? I charge a lot. I am a man of many talents." He feigns being offended, rolling his eyes. "You should be glad I'm doing this for free. Doubt you do any work for free. No charity from the brothel I'm sure."
just not on my dime
LOCKE
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
I don't trust nobody
The storms do scare her. Probably because of her first year here. When she was hiding out and sleeping in a cave most of the time. Not like a fifteen year old could afford a place to live. She didn't know how bad they would be. That the tides would be so high the sandy coast would be gone. That she would be living in at least three inches of water for that last half of the season. All it took was one year to be scared shitless anytime the season approached. She doesn't say any of this though.

"It's better now that I have somewhere. I mostly keep an eye on the other girls. If we don't have costumers we tend to all pile into one room together depending on how bad things get." Not a lot of people know that, but she figures it isn't a bad thing to share. They're family there. They take care of each other.

She shoots him a glare, but it doesn't last long, "They did! Stupid vines think it's funny to mess with people." Maeve huffs, wrapping her arms around her middle as they walk, "I know. Why do you think I avoid going out there most of the time?" She normally hires someone to do it for her, but she just had to be a big girl and go herself.

Maeve shakes her head, "No, that's not all. That's just next. I still need to place an order for food. Also have to see if we can get any sleeping draughts from the apothecary. Some of the girls can't sleep well through it." Neither can she, but again, she doesn't mention it. Maeve smirks at his clear offense, barely containing her snicker, "A real shame for you seeing as that would be the only way you could truly afford me."
and nobody trusts me

Maeve
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i don't mind compassion
"Mm, makes sense." He used to pile into a big room with his— Why does she always make him think of his family?!  He's kind of over it but shrugs it off. "Can't believe you get customers during that kind of shit. Maybe they're hoping to get trapped in there.. A little free time. Turns out you do charity after all!" He chuckles, shaking his head as he follows her.

"Ah okay. You've got a little list there, should've known you had more than three things on it. Sleeping draughts might be hard to get honestly. With Longnight messing up people's sleep. But maybe. I'm sure the smart apothecaries stocked up for both events." The shops here are very good at making sure they don't miss out on the rushes. He tries to peak at it but fails. Oh well. They're close to the candle stand though. Should be able to get the bulk of the stuff there. Or at least order it. "Jus' let me know what to do boss and I'll do it. For free. Remember that. You owe me." He's joking of course. He offered to help after all.

"Oh? Really Maeve?" He rolls his eyes, walking in front of her and turning around, walking backwards down the street. "You really think I can't afford you? How's about I just don't pay for that kind of thing, hmm? I prefer to take what I want." He winks at her before turning back around and taking long strides to the candle stand. He's already leaning against it when she catches up to him.
just not on my dime
LOCKE
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
I don't trust nobody
"Not all the time! It really just depends on how bad it is. You'd be surprised how many come in when the eye hits and there is a moment of peace." Maeve shakes her head at the thought. She wasn't looking forward to it honestly. Working during a monsoon was fun for no one. Most of the time they just want to talk, but still.

She holds up the list, giving it a little wave, "Of course I have a list. I'm trying to prepare. In which case, one needs a list to do so properly." Plus buying supplies for a business that doubles as a home for its workers is a lot. Everyone needs to be taken care of. "I certainly hope so. Otherwise I'm going to be making another trip to the Wilds and I really don't want to do that." Maeve rolls her eyes at him again, lightly pushing at his shoulder as they walk, "You're a pain in the ass, you know that?"

Then he's suddenly in front of her, showing off by walking backwards while he taunts her. "That's just a fancy way of saying you steal what you can't afford, love." Maeve drawls, wrinkling her nose at him as they approach the stand. She turns her attention to the worker behind the table, placing her order and waiting for them to collect what she needs. Maeve pulls out a gem from a little pouch on her hip and passes it over before turning to look at him again. "Clearly you can't always take what you want though. Given that you came in there in the first place."
and nobody trusts me

Maeve
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i don't mind compassion
"Not really surprised. Just kind of.. Isn't it sad? Shouldn't they want to be home with their.. families or whatever? Suppose if you're a regular at a brothel, probably don't have much of a family." He kind of trails off, clearly thinking about what they were talking about. He shakes his head as if to dislodge it from his mind. It's not important.

"I wasn't saying the list was a bad idea!" He laughs as she shoves him, faking a little yelp as he rubs his arm. "Don't worry, we'll find something. If not, booze! Might as well be a sleeping draught." He gives her a little grin.

"Mm, maybe. But you say that like stealin's a bad thing. Pretty much the life blood of this place, ya know?" He cracks her another grin, feeling somewhat more.. confident in his own element. If she's watching, she'll notice he tucks something from a nearby stand into his pocket. The seller doesn't seem to notice. "I came in 'cause I was curious. Don't expect to see me back."
just not on my dime
LOCKE
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
I don't trust nobody
"Some people don't have families or they got stuck in port. All sorts of things. I don't really ask questions. It's not my job to judge them when they come through that door." Maeve shrugs her slender shoulders. They're already starting to turn pink from the sun. She wishes that she brought her parasol out with her, but she didn't think she'd be out here so long.

Booze is technically an option. Just not something they like to rely on in case something happens and they have to act fast. Hard to do that when you're passed out drunk. "Alright, alright... Whatever you say, Locke." She returns his smile easily, feeling a bit better now that she's actually accomplishing things on her list. Once this is done she'll feel a little better.

"Life blood or not... Stealing isn't always the answer." Maeve misses his sticky fingers. His little act of thievery goes unnoticed as her eyes are trained on the worker who is in the middle of cutting wicks for her. He finally has her attention at his declaration and she arches a brow, the motion making her temple throb, "Is that right? Well, guess I shouldn't have kept your cards then."
and nobody trusts me

Maeve