[split] (se) drowning lessons

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

The world bends and spins.

Light so bright you're forced to shut your eyes against it. And when you open them...you are not where you once were..
Rigby Arcara
Street Urchin

Age: 25 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Chachy Offline
Change author:
MP: 1615
RIGBY

This is what he gets for being nice.

If he'd turned around and left the girl to sit in the stream, hurt and yelping and providing other such nuisances to the forest around her, maybe this wouldn't have happened. But no, he had to be good, just this once. For character development's sake, this did seem to be a very strong message from the universe to continue down his path of chaos, as being kind get's you dropped in sludge.

Rigby at least, fell right in the muck. He felt the sticky sensation before he could see it, eyes still readjusting after the bright light. Luckily he was only at the edge, and with some instinctive scrambling he pulled himself free. On solid ground he finally got a chance to breathe. He almost wished he hadn't, the air was putrid and sulfuric.

He coughed a bit, then wiped his hands along his thighs, slopping off some of the tar (though really he just transferred it to his hands and wrists). His feet were still bare, somewhere back in the Oerwoud, his shoes were being fondled by those fucking vines.

Unable to feel angry with his ironically shitty luck, he simply flopped onto his back and stared up at the grey skies above, and groaned. Maeve was completely ignored.
when i grow up i wanna be
nothing at all
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
I don't trust nobody
If she wasn't already struggling enough the Wilds decided to make things worse because fuck her. While Rigby was regretting helping her. She was definitely regretting ever fucking looking at him. Ever bothering to ask if he was okay. It was because of him she stepped out into the water and put herself in the position to be picked on by the vines. Her head still hurt and there was blood dripping into her eyes from where she hit it on the rock, but now she was blinded by light so bright it felt like staring at the sun.

When her still blurry vision came back to her she realized that the cold sensation from the water was replaced by something else. Something hot, sticky, and so thick she struggled to lift her arms. Panic scorched through her and she looked around with fear wide eyes. She was up to her ribs in tar. Black pitch that clung to her skin and clothes. The edge was about five or six feet away from her, but with her current situation it felt much further. She spotted Rigby already laying on the edge, having easily pulled himself out.

Her chest started heaving, breaths pushing rapidly out of her nose as she tried to move with very little success, her legs and feet feeling heavy as lead as she attempted to take a step forward. "A-are you going to help me?!" The typically soft and smooth nature of her voice ratcheted higher with panic as she looked at his prone form.
and nobody trusts me

Maeve
Rigby Arcara
Street Urchin

Age: 25 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RIGBY

The bubbling and seething of the tar was a new sound, and somehow they were far more calming than the anxious breathing that started up nearby. Rigby raised himself onto his elbows and glanced around, eyes landing on Maeve just as she called to him. Oh yeah, her, apparently her luck was as shitty as his. He couldn't decide if he was relieved or disgruntled by her being dragged along too, he'd simply have to find out.

First he was faced with another choice. To help again and risk double displacement, or to let her work it out on her own. Likely the latter would end with her a carcass, and though he was a scornful little brat he didn't like death. Deciding not to damn her to Mort's domain, he hurried to his feet again and got as near to where she stood as possible without re-entering the shallows.

He offered her a hand once more, wincing when their skin touched and half expected to be teleported again.
nothing at all
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
I don't trust nobody
She didn't think he was going to help. When the thought crossed her mind that he might not actually do anything to aide her it was accompanied by the idea that she might very well strangle him when she finally got out of her current predicament. Except he was suddenly moving, sitting up and staring at her as the tar tried to claim her further before rushing to her aid. Maeve leaned forward with effort, taking his hand and using it to help pull herself forward.

Her breathing was still ragged, panicky and coming in short pants as she struggled to get out. It took effort. So much effort, but eventually he pulled her to the edge and she was able to crawl out onto the bank. It was then that she broke down. She cried. In relief and fear. She was so far away from home with a person who seemed to absolutely despise her despite having known her for less than ten minutes. Tears streaked her cheeks, mixing with speckles of tar and rivulets of blood. Her hands were not clean and she couldn't even wipe her eyes.

Maeve felt sick. Utterly sick. Her forehead dropped to the damp earth, nestling amongst the leaves as she tried to slow her heart and control her breathing. Surely he could understand her fear or would he judge her for this too? Maeve turned her face towards him, tears still tracking down her face, "Are you going to judge me for this too? Stare at me and mock me for my fears?" She snapped, venom lacing her words, but she crumpled moments later. Another sob caught itself in her throat. What was she going to do?
and nobody trusts me

Maeve
Rigby Arcara
Street Urchin

Change author:
RIGBY

Rigby was no body builder, but when he dug his feet in he had enough leverage to pull her forwards. He stumbled back when she was wrenched free of the muck, catching himself on a jagged tree trunk long dead and rotted. A bit of it snapped off under the pressure, crumpling to the ground and disappearing among the rest of the brown undergrowth.

Rigby had let her go, leaving her to heave and panic while he turned and looked around, already focusing on the next step. They had to figure out a way to go, which would be difficult given the murky skies above. The sun cast a strange glow, eerie and faded grey, the sky was just as opaque as the pits. Distressed, dirty, and angry, he hardly noticed the crying until it grew louder, and her words were spat his way.

Rigby turned to face her, watched her nestled herself in the damp earth and cry, and he had no idea what to do. She obviously wasn't going to be much help here, where was her survival instinct? Not to mention he now had to deal with her emotional burden. Once again a little devil on his shoulder wondered if walking off and leaving her on her own might be the best idea. But once again he begrudgingly decided against it.

"No," he replied, "but I do wanna get moving so could you hurry it up?"
nothing at all
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
I don't trust nobody
She startled when he actually answered. So he does talk. Maeve took a shaky breath, turning to wipe her face against her shoulder in attempts to clear the mess from her face. She forced herself onto her feet, unsteady and coltish as she finally took a look around. Where the fuck was she? This was much further than Stormbreak. That much she knew. Maeve bent down, sticking her hands in the dirt and then rubbing them together in attempts to get some of the tar off of her palms with mild success.

There was very little on her person besides her clothes. No weapons. No food or water. She never had to hunt before and when she had left home before it was with stolen rations and a clear path ahead of her. This was not the case and the longer she had for that to sink in, the more terrified she became.

Maeve looked around slowly, heart still beating a staccato in her chest. They just had to get out of here. If they could do that then maybe they could find a clear route back to some sort of civilization. "Are you always this pleasant?" Maeve snapped back, sarcasm sharp in her words as she glared at him. "Fine... Lead the way."
and nobody trusts me

Maeve
Rigby Arcara
Street Urchin

Change author:
RIGBY

Rigby was in essence a street rat, taking and trading and weaseling his way around the piers and docks for a bite to eat. But, his solitary nature had taken him out into the jungle plenty of times, he'd figured out how to forage. Not quite hunting, but he knew how to determine a berry good or bad. Hopefully, it wouldn't come to that. Hopefully they were just in a different part of the Oerwoud that smelled bad and fucking sucked.

He went back to looking around once she'd finished standing, leaving her to her own devices. He squinted, screwing up his face as if it would help him see farther through the smog. Eventually he decided on a direction, hoping it was the way home, and started moving. Her retort earned a grin from him, though he didn't turn to give her the satisfaction of knowing it. "No, actually," he replied, sarcastic and grainy.

He lead them around the land bars, past an old carcass of something unsavory, onward and onward. Rigby was fine to continue in silence, he had nothing much to say. They were just two people, teleported to a bog.
nothing at all
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
I don't trust nobody
If Rigby was a street rat then Maeve might as well be a spoiled housecat. She was used to three square meals a day, a plush bed to sleep in, fresh water, and all of her luxuries that came with living at the Halenani. This might as well have been her worst nightmare. Covered in muck, lost, and with someone who wanted nothing to do with her. Absolutely her worst nightmare.

He spoke again and Maeve arched a brow in despite the way her head is absolutely throbbing, blood still trickling slowly from her temple. "Really? I would never have guessed." She drawled with a grimace, following after him and trying to keep up with him despite her injuries. Maeve was having a hard time breathing with the thick stench in the air, but she kept pushing forward, hoping that he knew where he was going.

She doesn't say anything for some time. Instead she followed behind him silently, stepping where he did and not an inch out of place. Maeve licked her lips, debating on speaking up as they continued forward. The landscape barely changing the further they walked. "Do you have any idea where we are?
and nobody trusts me

Maeve
Rigby Arcara
Street Urchin

Change author:
RIGBY

Rigby continued on through the swamp, slowly the tar pits began to open up into areas with water, less sticky and smelly. This would at least be better for his feet, the skin on his soles was red from stepping in tar puddles. Generally, this was a miserable adventure, not one he'd planned on making, nor one he was excited to be taking. At least the mud under foot was better than bristles and hot soup.

Maeve's question was ignored for a moment, until Rigby turned around to scowl. Dark eyes blinked at her for a moment before he turned back to face the path ahead, "How would I know?" he replied dryly, stepping under a skeletal branch that'd appeared ahead of them through the thick fog.
nothing at all
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
I don't trust nobody
He was so fucking rude. For no real reason. Was it just his life goal to be an asshole to everyone he met? Maeve was starting to think so. They were stuck in this together as much as she wished they weren't. The least he could do was show a little kindness. It's not like this was her fault. The Wilds just decided it would be funny to ruin their whole week. She had nothing to do with it. Except he was sure acting like she was the only reason he was fucking miserable.

Maeve glared right back at him, even baring her teeth in a show of frustration. She could never see him again after this and it still wouldn't be good enough. Her own steps were heavy, leaves and branches breaking under the weight of her boots as she ducked under the branch that tried to snag at her hair. "I don't know. Just thought you might have an idea." She snapped back, gritting her teeth as she walked a bit faster.
and nobody trusts me

Maeve
Rigby Arcara
Street Urchin

Change author:
RIGBY

The girl was just as frustrated as he was, which made for a nice little conflict. Unwilling partners, reluctant companions, neither of them would ever seek out each other's presence if not for the circumstances. But that was what made for good drama, and it certainly aligned with Rigby's usual luck.

"Do you wanna lead then?" he snapped back, deciding to shift direction to avoid what looked like another large tar pit to their right. If she didn't like the way he chose to go, she could decide.
nothing at all
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
I don't trust nobody
No, she didn't want to lead. She wanted to be home. She wanted to not be lost in the first fucking place. She wanted nothing to do with him. Maeve clenched her fists at her side, hating the way everything stuck together thanks to that nice layer of tar. Fuck all of this. Another huff pushed past her lips. "I'm just trying to figure shit out, okay? Fucking hell... Are you always this much of an ass or am I just special?" She muttered, glaring down at the forest floor.

Maeve took a deep breath, instantly regretting it as the putrid air assaulted her nose. "I don't want to be here either. I'm just trying to figure out where we are and how to get home. Can dislike me all you want, but I'm pretty sure we both have the same goal."
and nobody trusts me

Maeve
Rigby Arcara
Street Urchin

Change author:
RIGBY

He actually laughed a little at her comment, a short and dry snort, "Don't give yourself too much credit," he replied. Honestly he wasn't always this cruel, but the circumstances had his mind swimming, and his attitude spiking.

Her reasoning, attempt to reconcile perhaps, was convincing enough to earn a slight tempered response, "I don't dislike you alright, I dislike this." Rigby gestured to the stinking marsh around them, then to the goop that sunk beneath his feet. Hopefully that would be enough to keep her satisfied, let him think about where next to turn as they tromped through the literal pits.
nothing at all