{SE} A place of grief
For Mabel
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2895

"If I can't move the heavens above, I will move Hell"

Sah walked silently through the Mourn, his steps feeling heavy nonetheless. The canine had been in Caido for just over a season now, enough time to adjust. Enough time to settle. And finally there was time to grieve. He had been wary though of where he could possibly pay tribute to those he lost in his home world. Where in Caido could he mourn for those lost in his own world? It seemed sacrilegious and disrespectful to go to the cemetery within Halo.  That and his kind were wild creatures. It seemed most fitting to go to the Mourns. Risky yes, particularly to go alone, but fitting.

The moonlight caught on the plants and offerings spread throughout the meadow, leaving bizarre shadows that seemed to twist in the wind. Sah chose a secluded spot, away from the other offerings and sat down in the grass. Out of his bag he brought out the pelt and antlers of a luxere he had hunted, laying them on the grass as an offering.

Letting out a sigh he closed his eyes, hoping that his whispered voice would reach the souls of his pack, wherever they may be.  “I survived. How, I don’t really know. But I’m in a new world, a new body. It’s unfathomable at times to comprehend.” Sah shook his head. “I’ve done the best that I can to adapt but it’s been a struggle. I miss you all. Not having you by my side aches. I wish you were here, and that we could run as a pack again. I don’t even know if you can hear me right now. Or if you even survived or if you remained in our world. I’m sorry that I couldn’t protect you all or prevent the end. I failed you as an Alpha. I  know you likely don’t blame me and that there's nothing I could have done… but still. I’m sorry.  I wish you all of the best and hope that our Goddess Mune guides you wherever you may be. Thank you for everything. For sticking by me, for your support, your love and your trust. Maybe one day I’ll see you again.” Sah’s voice shook slightly as he finished saying his goodbyes. He remained sitting where he was for some time, as the moon went from rising to reaching its peak. He couldn’t bring himself to leave just yet.

sah
There stood the wolf in the winter wind
Full of fearsome might
King of the winter night.
-Tim Vallie

Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MABEL

Mabel didn’t grieve. Not for the moment.

Her eyes were dry and her footsteps were light in between the shadows of darkness, but she followed after the trail of flight she and Aamu had taken days before. The streaks and patterns were indistinct, different, but still the range of grass under her bare feet, still the flowers slinking away from her touch, still the soft petals glistening, radiating towards the next morning’s light.

There was another nearby – and she could only hear the slightest of sounds, not picking up on the whispers.

She presumed he wouldn’t want someone else nearby, not for whatever was occurring. So she strayed further inward, along one of the stone benches, settling down upon the range of its expanse, and staring out into the abyss, into the setting of the sun, into the cloaking of new days and new ages.
If you dig under my feet
You will find things that you don't want to see
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

Sah noticed when someone joined him in the field. But when they stayed some distance away and showed no signs of hostility, he ignored them. Remaining where he was for some time,  he let his grief wash over him. But once his vigil was through, he let out a deep sigh. Standing onto legs stiff from having remained seated for so long, Sah looked at the starry sky. This kind of funeral was far from what his kind usually gave but it was the that best he could do given the circumstances. And with it now through, he felt a weight come off of his shoulders. Sah had at least paid his fallen pack the proper dues that they deserved. He was well aware that the grief would never leave him but at least he now felt better prepared to move forward. His kind did not dwell on death, it was not their way.

Pulling himself from his thoughts, Sah turned back and his eyes fell onto the stranger. They seemed to be simply watching the sky. He approached out of curiosity but with a healthy dose of wariness. He was grateful however that they seemed to have willingly stayed out of earshot of his vigil. "Good evening."

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MABEL

An approach – and for half a moment Mabel thought to raise her hackles and show her fangs, ward off everything else that didn’t matter to her in life. Instinctual, after devastations, losses, fires, death, everything rampantly coming to her mind even if she hadn’t craved it. Perhaps these few seconds were ways her brain strived to reflect, and her soul, her heart, simply wasn’t ready for it.

She didn’t recognize this man at all. No one from the Grounds. That left too many other options, and a mulish frown settled over her features, rather than the display of teeth and ferocity. Mabel sought to ground herself, feet shifting over the grass, the petals, the soft undulations, bare, absent, and tired. “Evening,” was a slow grate, before shaking her head.

Do you think they heard you? she wanted to say – every inch a spiteful, serrated edge.

Does that make you feel better?

Does it really matter?

“Who are you?” echoed instead, when she finally raised her sharpened gaze.
If you dig under my feet
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah eyed the stranger with a cautious eye, some part of him recognizing a fellow predator. It was hard to put into words but it was there in her presence. An extra edge of sorts.  Sah remained a few feet back, not looking to instigate a fight just yet. "Sah. You?" He answered, tilting his head and observing her closely. Something stood out to him. This woman held herself in a familiar way. She reminded him of someone. Ah.

"You're like Wessex. An Ascended was it?" That would certainly explain what he was sensing. Even the Attuned didn't give off that feeling. Granted the shape-shifters of Caido didn't seem to retain their animal instincts in human form. At least not to a significant degree.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

The unfamiliarity remained, cast into its blank slate and shell. Sah held no meaning – another individual who’d likely been from another land while the Naturals remained ensconced and trapped within the Grounds. “Mabel,” she replied tonelessly, a flat, neutral affect that betrayed none of her inner workings, bitterness, or rancor. Her jaw feathered once, twice, eyes darting towards flowers and petals again, as if uncertain about the rest of the environment. She made no move to leave the stone bench, otherwise still, if slightly unnatural and eerie. “Where are you from?” For curiosity’s sake, more than anything else. Something to snap along her vitriol, give it flavor and relish and life instead of mooring in her chest.

Which might’ve prompted the next reaction – because she’d never been compared to Wessex. Never wanted to be.

In power? Perhaps. But not in mannerisms. Not in the way she selfishly threw her own brethren into slaughter time and time again. Not in the way she dictated, delegated, and then failed to listen or permit them to commit to those goals.

Not in the way she slithered and skewed.

Mabel would be more than that.

A defiant raise of her chin followed, the steadiness of her gaze shifting into something unearthly, potentially, possibly dangerous. “I’m an Ascended.” And even that statement was cold. “What are you?”
If you dig under my feet
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah shrugged. "Nowadays, Halo. Originally, well I'm an Outlander so, elsewhere." He explained. He knew that given the stigma against his kind it was probably wiser to hide his status as an outsider, but it wasn't in his nature to hide what who he was in any capacity.

Sah couldn't fight the feral grin that came to his face at Mabel's cold tone. "I could tell. All of the one's I've met so far have the same...what's the word? Presence? Aura? Something like that." There was clearly some history between Mable and Wessex and Sah could tell he'd hit a nerve in his comparison. Hopefully not an incredibly painful one.  He hadn't meant it as an insult, merely an observation.

"I'm an Abandoned. Apparently your gods don't like me even though one of them must have brought me here. Seems ironic." It truly was. Sah had spent quite a bit of time puzzling over that little contradiction.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

Truth be told, Mabel hadn’t met many Outlanders. She’d only just begun exploring outside of the Grounds, after all those years inside its barrier, after all those seasons, cycles, and stories. So her curiosity was piqued all the more, though she did her best not to show it – only shuffling a little closer, legs stretched out from the bench. “Oh? Where was elsewhere?” The tone was careful, quiet, and indistinct, a neutral sort of balance to ensure it sounded as though she didn’t really care. For once, there was no hiss of judgment.

Her head tilted, eyes narrowing, uncertain over what he meant by aura. Menacing? Enigmatic? Maybe she’d like to be seen as that. Dangerous. “What sort of aura?” Opting to forget the comparison between she and Wessex for a moment, bare feet shuffling into the grass; swinging in the gentle breeze.

That he was an Abandoned was also an interesting notion – pondering briefly about incantations nestled within, the sharp slide of fangs – before she permitted a light laugh; a bit hollow. “That’s true. Abandoned aren’t liked by any of them.” She straightened out her neck, gaze flickering upwards to the shadows, to the skies. “You could always visit the Voice and see for yourself though. I hear she’s made deals before.”
If you dig under my feet
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

A small smile full of melancholy came upon Sah's face. He let out a small hum. "You're actually the first to ask about it. But my home... it was beautiful." He paused, eyeing the moon. "I came from a world similar to Caido. One filled with diverse cultures and creatures. There were humanoids like elves, fae, and humans, and more. Vast open wildernesses teeming with life and magic. But also monsters and mythical creatures. I myself was one. You likely would have called my species a magical beast of some sort." There was pride in his voice at the last part.

Sah glanced back at Mabel with a grin. "But there was one vast difference. In my world, magic was widespread. Most species were capable of it in some capacity. And I mean beyond what the people of Caido hold. It was part of daily life and creatures wielded it too. Myself included. Either a being was born with the ability harness and wield magic or they learned how to use magical items or resources." He explained, before a mischievous grin came to his face. "I used to be able to call on entire storms with barely any effort."  His grin grew sardonic. "Now I can barely make a spark. This body is so much weaker than the one I was born with. It's been quite the learning curve. And our gods were different. Closer to us than the ones here. The goddess of my kind, Mune... she was..." Sah shook his head, trying to dispel some of his rising grief.

"It was a different place." He summed up, letting out a sigh. He was pulled from his thoughts at Mabel's question, glad for the distraction. "Aura? Ah. How to put it into words? Humans are predators technically I guess. But they're not... predator predators? They don't have the same lethality and potential as other true predator species. They lack an edge I guess? But you Ascended seem to have it. I've recognized it in each one that I've met so far. Granted that's only been a few." Sah tried to put into words what for him was instinctual. He may have been in a human body now but he was born a wild beast. It was easy for him to recognize another predator.

Sah shrugged at Mabel's recommendation. "I've considered it. But I doubt that I'll ever hold allegiance to a Caido god. It seemed like a better idea to avoid them altogether. Though I would like answers as to why the Voice thought bringing me here and placing me into a human body was the right course of action." If you asked for his opinion, he'd say he would have been far more useful to whatever the Voice had planned if he had retained his original form.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

To be fair, he might’ve been the first she’d ever asked. Most of the time Outlanders were either treated with general disdain or indifference; callousness, disregard, until some amount of assimilation or other altercations took place. So she listened with the air of a curious predator, taking into the accounts of this Sah individual, who’d come from a beautiful land, with things like elves, magic, monsters – and the only alteration and difference between the two lands he’d once occupied seemed to be his ability to be a magical beast. She tilted her head vaguely – not bothering to tell him he was likely perfectly capable of the same thing here – if he yearned to become Attuned.

There was no need for more of them.

She hadn’t meant to make this stranger happy or content, narrowing her eyes at his grin, uncertain what to do with those notions. Widespread incantations and enchantments, not just contained within a single race, was intriguing; and while some Attuned managed it with their mythical prowess, certainly not everyone did. Ascended savored it from others. Accepted held it within weapons. “Yours will grow in time.” A shrug of her shoulders, matter of fact and not indulgent. It was how this world had worked. Why the Voice might’ve pulled them all in, intending to grasp upon those with powers to shape her facets. Some did. Others were failures.

Mabel did sit up a little straighter at the appreciation for predatory prowess, inclined to think of herself that way. With a light little huff she nodded, placing it within the back of her mind, content to be recognized.

Her eyes flickered back to him though at the mention of the Voice. “She brought you here to help.” Obviously some didn’t and hadn’t been worth the effort. “The Old Gods wouldn’t be worth your time anyway. Not with their prejudices.” Though they'd also made deals; which she opted once more not to address.
If you dig under my feet
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah shook his head in slight frustration.  "It fucking better grow. I mean seriously. Entire storms to this." He flipped on his palms and with a slight furrow to his brow, a current of lighting curled around it before dissipating when he dropped his hand back own. "It's just depressing." Sah sat down on the grass, glancing at the moon once more. Fuck that moth still had him under it's thrall.

Mabel's voice brought him back. "To help." Sah sighed. "That's what I've been told but I was brought here too late to really do much. I was too busy trying to figure out the concept of thumbs and having only two legs to help. And no wings? Fuck I almost bit someone when I realized mine were gone."

Sah raised an eyebrow. "Not a fan of the old ones, huh? Do I dare ask? And don't all the gods hate Abandoned equally, even the Voice?"

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

Oh. Now she saw what he meant.

Her eyes watched as the flicker of lightning held a promise, and then nothing more. Certainly naught worth biting over. She hid her disappointment behind an arched brow and a residual frown.

He seemed fully capable of falling into his own throes, so she leaned back again, not bothering to glance upward at the moon, but across the fields of flowers and petals, content to stew in silence. Except for his last question – which garnered a laugh, hollow, but still amused. “The Voice was Abandoned. That’s why the Old Ones hate them so very much.” The tilt of her head grew even more eldritch, as if she was eerily delighted by expelling all these truths. “She became powerful. Greater. A threat.”

Then she sniffed, perhaps in distaste, perhaps just being a snotty teenager. “Isn’t that what everyone wants to be?”
If you dig under my feet
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah hummed. "I hadn't been told that. The Voice was an Abandoned? Then why has she abandoned them too?" He watched with open amusement as Mable relished in her retelling of how the Voice came to be. By the end he had an eyebrow raised and was trying not to chuckle. This brat was definetly still a pup. An idealistic one. His alpha tendencies surfaced a little.  

"Power if a complicated thing. But you're right, I'd say that just about everyone seeks power for some rhyme or reason. Originally I sought power to protect my own. Now... probably to regain what I once had." Sah shrugged. It was more complicated then that, but that was beside the point. Sah tilted his head slightly as he studied Mabel curiously. "What about you pup? Why do you seek power?"

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

Mabel offered a wayward, indifferent shrug, a light huff to her movements and motions, as if the thoughts were beneath her. Perhaps the Voice had been tired of those she’d brought forward going in the opposite direction, curling and coiling their way under the Old Gods’ noses. Maybe her experiments simply hadn’t been worth it after everything else. Mabel had no fight in those inquiries; her questions for the Voice applied to her own capabilities, and she remained wholly indifferent to everyone else’s.

She scooted forward again though, an elbow resting on her knee, placing her chin in her open palm; all the for the mourning world like an indulgent queen, on the precipice of listening to a jester. Her brows furrowed and there was another frown there at the hints of pup, but she didn’t say anything about it.

She was young, and she had all the time in the world.

Her own answer came swiftly enough. “Revenge.”
If you dig under my feet