the years burn
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
// the killer in me is the killer in you, my love, i send this smile over to you
disarm you with a smile, and leave you like they left me here //
It had taken a lot of work and promises to Nate to release him once he’d gotten home. He’s still a mess, still pained, a glossy sheen to his gaze when he drifts up smoke laced stairs to their bedrooms. And what he wouldn’t give to succumb to the cushions of it, if it weren’t for the person sleeping within it. He steps around the edge of the bed, sitting toward the foot of it, casting a glance at Hotaru under the blankets.

He doesn’t even know where to begin. I’m sorry doesn’t seem to cover the majority of what he wants to. But he’s alive, albeit missing for two days and swallowed up by the sea, but between Vai and Nate and everything else, he is recovering. Slowly, but still recovering. He shifts enough to turn to her, rest a hand on her shoulder, to try and rouse her from sleep but knowing she’d likely already woken. “Ru, I’m home.” He says quietly, so gently that it’s almost as if he’s afraid this bubble will break.

In the meantime, he tries not to chew on his lip, to aggravate the scar that stretches along half his face, the fact it’s still pounding and throbbing in pain despite having been knit back together the only thing that keeps him from it.
to wither in denial, the bitterness of one who's left alone
SUNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Darling please, just give us some time, and I swear we'll be alright
Sleep is still light, even with the return of the sun. It is beginning to take a toll on her body, but Hotaru is more than willing to ignore the steady degradation if it means being there for Nate. The same way she'd remained awake half the night most nights after Remi attacked Sunjata, ears tuned for the early warning signs of nightmares. It has been a very long LongNight to say the least, and she has given herself no time to mourn. It feels too early all the same. There is no body. To her, that means there is still some level of hope, no matter how small the odds. The Gods will not answer someone like her, or she would have already gone to Ludo's shrine in hopes of receiving a more affirmative answer. Haai's existence alone keeps the ember of her hope alive.

What rest does come is pitiful at best. She hasn't slept this light since she was a new mother, constantly afraid something would happen to Arya if she so much as blinked. In some ways, the exhaustion is welcome though. It keeps her mind off of everything that has happened and that yet remains unsolved. Keeps her in a haze where the pain can't reach her.

The creak of wood, of words at the door, already tickles at the edge of her consciousness, but it's simply been too many days for it to rouse her immediately. As the steps grow closer however, it's a matter of forcing herself to awaken, her consciousness reminding her that she may be needed. If not needed, then wanted, as a presence of distraction at the very least. It's a terrible fight of mind against body, but as hands are laid on her skin and her shoulder is shaken, Hotaru gives a pitiful noise as she forces her eyes open once more.

Who greets her is...certainly far from the realm of who she'd expected. At first her face crumples, pain creasing the corners of her eyes. "'m I dreamin'?" she murmurs, even as she props herself up onto her elbow to try and inspire clarity in her head. When it comes, trickling slowly, her eyes widen and she reaches for Sunjata before she is even fully risen. Terrified that if she does not grab and hold now in this moment, he will reveal himself to truly be a figment of her imagination, and disappear once more. "Jata," she breathes, tears springing to her lashes so quickly she has to blink them away just to see him clearly. Hotaru moves to throw her arms around him, only to immediately hesitate before she makes contact, eyes suddenly roving to determine his injuries lest she make them worse.
HOTARU
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
// the killer in me is the killer in you, my love, i send this smile over to you
He’s glad that when he reaches for her that she doesn’t flinch, doesn’t immediately go on the offense. And for that, he can’t help the slightly relieved edge of a smile that lifts the corners of his lips when she pops an eye open, tries to gauge what happened and who was waking her. The pain that crosses her face crosses his own too in the twitch of his eyebrows drawing together, but he remains steady, hand still resting on her shoulder as he goes to shake his head. “No. You’re very much awake.” He manages through a voice that cracks, as he swallows down and she’s pulling him in.

He goes willingly, because of course he does, wrapping his arms around her and wishing to hold her close even if it hurts. But she hesitates, scanning him over for injury and wounds, and while bandages do speckle his body, it’s mostly just scrapes and bruises now — what horrible wounds he’d sustained had been mostly healed thanks to Vervain. But he lets her look, before he pulls her into his lap, wraps his arms around her more fully and buried his face into her blonde hair.

Vai found me washed up in the Fingers. She… Told me how long it’s been. I’m sorry.” He begins, resting his head along her shoulder. “I just saw Nate and then came up to see you.
SUNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
She should have known it wasn't a dream. Sunjata does not look so haggard and scarred in her dreams these nights, if they deign to be dreams instead of nightmares. His voice, though...that is something even her dreams cannot get perfectly right, and it is all the proof she needs that he has returned home to them. There's no point in getting up, not when he folds so easily down into her embrace, meeting somewhere in the middle as they grasp at one another like liferings in a turbulent ocean. Moments spared only to catalogue wounds, to ensure that she will cause no further damage, and by then he has taken matters into his own hands and pulled her into his lap. It's an amusingly common action for both him and Nate, which makes it all the easier to relax into the embrace, habit that it has now become.

"A shorter time than my own absence," she comforts softly, brain finally coming fully alive with his warmth surrounding her. "What matters is that you came home. We would have waited as long as it took." Any number of seasons. It didn't matter, she would have stayed in this half-scorched home for an eternity if it meant she was there to welcome him home when he finally found his way back.

Tucking her face against his throat in turn, she lets her face crumple where he can't see it. Finally releasing her iron grip around her own emotions. They'd been locked up tight since he'd fallen over the cliff. She had needed to be there for Nate, to be the hope they both needed to keep going. There had been no time for her own grief, and she had been okay with that. Nate needed her, and that meant more to Hotaru than her own emotions at the time. But now, her shoulders quake just a little, and the sting of her eyes blossoms into quiet tears. "Just...just don't do it again." Take me with you next time.
HOTARU
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
I did.” He agrees softly. He did come home, and he knows deep down they would’ve waited however long it took for him to show back up, either breathing or not. He would’ve made it back one way or another, though he gladly prefers this version of the story, where he can hold her in his lap, wrap his arms around her and bury his face into her blonde hair, pulling away only when she does to bury her face against the tattooed compass on his neck. “I always come home.” He assures her, a hoarse and throaty rumble from his throat.

But he feels her shoulders quake, feels the slight wetness of tears along his skin and the shirt he wears. He holds her tighter to him, his unscarred side of his face pressing against the crown of her head. “I won’t, Ru. I promise.” He vows, assuring her that he wouldn’t — at least not by his own free will. Promises had always been a difficult thing for Sunjata, so prone to breaking them that he simply avoided saying it at all anymore.

This, though? This he can promise her as he tucks her in against him tighter, trying to give her the room to let it all out. “It’s okay. I’m okay.” He manages, squeezing his eyes shut as he holds her close, trying to wordlessly give her the ability to let the tears out, to become a mess. Gods know Sunjata’s in the same boat, trying to come to terms with everything that’s happened.
SUNJATA
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
It's a little sad that this has become their mantra, the three of them. I will always come home. That they have little control over what takes them away in the first place is enough to keep her up at night these days. These snatches of peace, of unity, seem to dwindle with each new wave of war and drama that overtakes Caido. It makes her hold on all the tighter as he cradles her in his arms. When will one of them be taken away again? Will she ever be strong enough to stop it? Even his promise does nothing to comfort her in this moment, and she feels ridiculous for taking him for granted when he is here in her arms, already envisioning when she will lose him next. Their promises mean nothing, not with how their allegiances pull them to different sides, with how Caido preys upon those with power and magic to their names.

She knows with how he holds her that he's offering to let her fall apart. The selfishness of her own actions bites into her organs, aching all throughout her body, until the tears refuse to keep coming. Hotaru holds him tighter, gritting her teeth through the waves that threaten to take her under until the calm returns once more. This is not a burden she will put on his shoulders. She can keep holding on a little longer. She will. Until she's alone, because it seems everyone she loves is going through their own personal hell, and Hotaru won't be the one to add to it.

"It's finally over," she whispers instead, once she has gotten the trembling firmly back beneath her ironclad control. Withdrawing, her eyes scan over his scarred face, crumpling a little to see it. Her own unblemished features feel stark and accusatory in comparison to him and Nate. Always coming out unharmed, never the one to suffer. It's not fair. "I love you." Needs to say it now, when she'd been so close to never being able to say it in person again. "And you promised we'd be family after all this settled." Something stirs in her mind at that, a seed of an idea that has slyly planted roots unnoticed, but she bites her cheek - still raw, still so ready to bleed with the cut of her teeth with how frequently she has started doing it to temper her emotions - and doesn't let that suggestion come to fruition. "That's all we need to focus on now." The healing in the aftermath.
HOTARU
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
He doesn’t anticipate the next time he’ll get taken away – but they both know there will be a next time. There always is. And to think otherwise is simply naïve at this point. So he takes what he can get, having just come back, clutching her to his sore and bruised and scraped chest and holding her tight until her shaking shoulders stop and Sunjata lifts his head when she regains control. He’d never blame her for this, but he knows how she feels about her tears and weakness. If he’s being honest, he’s the same.

So he peers back at her when she withdraws herself, feeling her eyes on the scar to his face and instinctively wishing to hide it away. He doesn’t, but it shows in the way his lips twitch as he regards her, a calloused hand lifting to brush through her sleep tousled blonde locks. “I love you too.” He rumbles gently, a small half smile forming when she brings up the promise he’s made. “I fully intend on keeping that promise.” He assures her, leaning in to press his forehead against hers, to let his eyes close and his lashes brush against cheeks.

One big family.” He agrees gently, breathing her in before he’s shifting to press a gentle kiss to her nose. “I have a lot of making up to do for the both of you, don’t I?” He withdraws his head a bit to scan her face, that soft smile still playing on his lips.
SUNJATA
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
There are no expectations upon her emotions, and for that she counts her blessings. Surely he can see her gratitude in her red-rimmed eyes, though she will not speak it aloud. However weak she may be around them, soft and malleable and in love, there are some walls too old and well-built to scale that remain firmly planted in her mind. He asks nothing but what she is willing to give, and that alone helps to ease the residual ache of emotion that has been forced back behind those walls. Erasing what little pain she carries from these events, and once more she wishes she could take the more physical wounds from her lovers if only to even what feels like a terribly biased score.

Sunjata's hands are gentle as they smooth through her tousled hair, and she smiles, feeling like a cracked open cavern finally seeing sunlight after weeks without it. The touch of his forehead to hers is a flood of warmth that she had feared would only live in her dreams, and she melts into it as much as their bodies allow, basking in the simplicity of his presence. His eyelashes tickle against her cheeks, full as they are with the smile she cannot control, and a soft huff of laughter escapes her lips at the rumble of his words as they brush across her mouth with how close they remain. "I wouldn't call three big by any means," she chides, soft and playful as her own eyes fall closed beneath the squint of a wrinkled nose when he kisses it. When he withdraws, she lifts a hand to gently cup his face, careful to be lighthanded and to only trace the curve of his lip with her fingertips. "You have nothing to make up for that simply being here can't fix." A firm, unyielding reassurance. Nothing that had happened was his fault, and she cannot dream of any sort of reparations when he has already suffered through so much. "Just...be here. With us. That's all you need to do for me."
HOTARU
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
She smiles and it’s like a wave of relief that washes over him, soothes over his open wounds. He doesn’t have to open his eyes to see it there, able to feel the way his eyelashes brush against her cheeks, the way she melts into his hand, feeling the warmth of laughter that leaves her lips that crosses his mouth as he leans in to press a kiss to her nose. “Yes, well, we have us and Melita.” He begins, pausing for consideration. “And Nate… Nate wants kids.” He says softly, nearly a whisper as if the thought of it frightens him.

How horribly terrified he was of becoming his father, and yet… Torchline had gotten a front seat view into what he was like. And Sunjata? Sunjata was struck with so much fear that was who he’d become.

But there’s good in him, somewhere beneath everything else. Perhaps one day it might work out. And even if it doesn’t, Hotaru is there. Nate is there. Just as Sunjata’s own mother was there for him when the rest of his life fell apart. For that, perhaps it might be worth it.

He withdraws, though, and her hand reaches up to caress his cheek, her thumb brushing against his lips. His gaze is half lidded in his exhaustion, but he peers at her all the same, nodding his head slowly in her hold, giving her a gentle squeeze around where he keeps her in his arms. “I don’t plan on going anywhere. At least not anytime soon.” He assures her gently.
SUNJATA
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
A small hum of agreement thrums in her throat, making a mental note to seek out Melita when the girl's feet find shore once more. They've not had the time to bond one-on-one, which is a shame. Family means everything to Hotaru, and that had never been defined by blood alone in her entire life. She certainly isn't expecting what he says next however. Withdrawing a little, she keeps her face carefully free of any reaction aside from a cautious curiosity. She knows intimately how he feels about children, and as such had never allowed herself to express even a modicum of interest lest he feel trapped or pressured. "And what do you think of that?" There are no expectations in her tone, merely a gently probing inquiry of his mindset.

Hotaru would love children, admittedly. With both of them, if they would have her - something her anxiety will not let her feel confident enough about to consider the option fully. Motherhood had never been something she'd expected to excel in in any way, and yet when Arya had been born it was like the planets had finally aligned. Being a twin herself, she'd had no shortage of children biologically, and plenty more taken beneath her wing as she reigned. Losing them had nearly killed her, yes, but she would never be able to regret having them. Loved them far too much to even consider it.

But she values Sunjata too much, or perhaps herself too little, to have ever brought it up of her own volition. Sacrifice is no foreign notion to her, and she'd been willing to do it for him. But if he is having a change of heart...well, first she needs to know where his head is at.
HOTARU
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
What does he think of it? He’s silent for a long, almost painful moment, scanning her face and finding nothing there but curiosity. This is something they’ve talked about, long before, of how Sunjata had vowed to never have children. How he had lived twenty something years of his life believing that he would never want to bring a child up in a world that he grew up in, with a horrible family experience as he had.

He wouldn’t find that here with his family, but it’s difficult. The idea of him and his temper, the idea of not even knowing where to start with it all. And perhaps that’s where Hotaru would perfect the idea of children for their little family. Because she is experienced. Because she’s a great mother. Because she’s everything Sunjata never had growing up. Perhaps that would be enough.

And despite his own personal vows, it isn’t like those matter all that much anyway. He’d broken them twice already, now. When he’d married Phoebe and when he’d gotten remarried. Caido had changed him, had made him stronger in some aspects and stupid in others. This though? This could be good. This could be something that was more than him, another ability to prove himself wrong.

I’m… Afraid, to be honest.” He offers her, an almost embarrassed and ashamed smile crossing his face as he goes to shake his head. “I told you before that I’m afraid of becoming… Him.” His father. “And now you all have seen him and seen what he’s like and… Well.” One tattooed shoulder rises and falls in a shrug. “I'm afraid of turning into that.
SUNJATA
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru holds herself still, patient and yielding as he scans her face. He won't find anything there to lead him one way or the other, but he won't chase her away with his silence either. It's no easy question. In fact Hotaru would discredit any response he gave immediately simply due to the nature of the question itself. Nobody ever really knows if they're prepared to be a parent. The lucky ones plan it, and even they cannot be fully prepared. But a peek into his thought process is at least a start.

When he finally speaks, she is not surprised by his answer. Her thumb continues to gently stroke at the unmarred skin beneath her hand, refusing to let any physical sign be misconstrued as withdrawing away from him or the topic at hand. Whatever he has to say, whether in agreement with Nate or not, it is safe here with her.

"I would say that what we all saw couldn't be more perfect proof that you are incapable of ever becoming like him." For all the vitriol of the words themselves, it is spoken with a firm but understanding tone. Finally her careful mask melts a little, a small smile warming her eyes. "We all make mistakes, and as parents we agonize over them all the more. But mistakes do not a monster make. You are a good man, Sunjata. You aren't capable of turning into something like him." Hotaru does not even give the man the respect of calling him someone. He is more creature than human in her eyes. "And if you wanted children, I wouldn't hesitate in giving them to you. And I would never bring a child into this world if I was not completely sure their father would care for them in the right way." A roundabout assurance of her trust in him. If Hotaru had found him lacking in any way, she'd sooner kill him than bear his child. Her previous lovers had failed in their duties across the board, but they had never been bad men. That was the important part.
HOTARU
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
He’s silent while she speaks, letting her words try to soothe the sharp edges that still pierce at his heart – letting her words become a gritty sandpaper that’s able to grind away at the barbs that are still impaled. The fact that she knows he couldn’t become his father speaks volumes to him, it gets through that stubborn, hard head of his. Why? Because she’d seen him at his worst time and time again. She had proof of it and could still look him in the eye and tell him that he’d never become his father.

He releases a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding when she smiles. He can’t quite find it in himself to reflect it just yet, so he watches her instead – tries to keep from clenching his jaw. But his gaze does shudder when she tells him he’s a good man – unsure of how many times anyone had said so. It was far lesser than those that had called him a monster.

So he swallows hard, nostrils flaring slightly, unable to keep the feathers from sprouting along his neck and shoulders as he manages to catch her gaze again. “I think I would like to.” He finally decides. “I told Nate when we were sick just after the house burned down that… I wanted that. I wanted to try.” His voice is gentle, soft as he dips his head a fraction, almost as if he’s trying to hide himself away.

He can’t take compliments, but she knows that too. He doesn’t know why he wants to hide away from her when she and Nate had seen the deepest parts of him. His arms still remain around her even if his hand trembles slightly. So he opts for sort of appreciation instead. “It… Means a lot that you believe in me, Ru.
SUNJATA
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Guileless eyes stare into her own all the while, and Hotaru wishes he wasn't so easy to read. It pulls at her heart, to see the doubt and the relief intermingled like the convergence of two old rivers. Even his released breath holds the weight of consolation. Truly it's just further proof of her conviction that he is incapable of ever turning out like his sire. To care at all about whether he could or not, to be plagued by terror at the idea of it, is the only thing she need ever to have seen to be convinced of his inherent goodness.

Hotaru's hand drifts from his cheek down to his neck, smoothing her fingertips over the feathers that sprout here to try and ease the emotion that has surely inspired their existence. His words make her heart skip a beat, not that she dares to show it just yet. "Having four of us would certainly make it all the easier," she points out, tone warm and bubbling beneath with a sort of charmed amusement at the notion of having the chance to communally raise children once more. Not something she'd anticipated given the solitary nature of the humans in Caido.

"I'm glad. You know I'm never wrong." Playfulness curls in the edges of her smile, hoping to ease his anxieties surrounding the conversation as her hand continues to stroke gently over the soft feathers bristling down his skin. "Even when we first met, I had faith in you. If you ever changed your mind, I knew you would be a wonderful father. Sometimes, having the worst as an example only makes us strive to be better." For all she loved her parents, neither had been particularly loving, much less involved. It had been the crux behind her own dedication to being a mother worthy of her children's love. "The Voice was able to give Rexanna and Bastien their child. I'm sure if we asked her, she could do the same for you and Nate. Perhaps even easier if she could let me carry it." And if that is the extent of their foray into parenthood, Hotaru will accept it. As has been her motto in life when it comes to love, anything is better than nothing.
HOTARU