finding salvation
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081

A lot of things had happened on their way from Kings End to what Ronin realised, eventually, was the Greatwood. There was that whole thing with the moth man which, you know, weird, and in the following days it has been difficult to concentrate with the dazzling sun overhead. (And fireflies are so interesting when they come out at night, in a way Ronin has never appreciated before).

Then there's the whole Safrin giving him his power back thing, which admittedly makes Ronin much more use in their situation than before. But the sudden hey-so-actually-I'm-Safrin's-bitch conversation is never a fun one to have, especially when you're trying to sail up river in a rowboat that has seen much better days.

Much better days.

All in all, the rowboat lasted them a day and a half before simply crumbling beneath them and into the river - luckily, by then Ronin is available to provide them with alternate means of transportation.

All that is to say that they arrive very close to the Greatwood not in a boat, but safely flying through the air on a nimbus cloud. Ronin's foot dangles carelessly from the edge of the cloud, and he smiles over his shoulder at Maeve. He needs a shave and a shower and gods does he want to sleep in a bed, but they're alive at least. "How are you holding up?" he asks.

RONIN
Darkness is a funny thing. It creeps up on you.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

The travel, all things considered, hasn't been bad. They did well together. Between the two of them they were always able to find food, fresh water, and a safe-ish place to rest in the evenings. Now, Maeve didn't typically care about people's alignments with gods. It wasn't something she personally involved herself in, but what other people chose to do was up to them. Except those people weren't Safrin's bitch. Which Ronin was. So things had been interesting. Especially when he was suddenly able to produce a cloud for them to travel on.

Something Maeve is really not used to. She didn't think herself scared of heights before, but she had never ridden on a cloud before. Her knees are drawn up to her chest, face buried in her arms as she tries her best not to get sick. "Still not used to this." Comes the muffled reply from the woman, head lifting just slightly so she can peek at him. "How much longer until we're on solid ground?"

Her skin is paler than usually (a feat in itself) and there is a light sheen of sweat on her brow. She's planted herself firmly in the middle of the cloud, not daring to get close to the edge and barely even moving more than she has to. "I could use a chance to stretch my legs."
Poor little girl
still waiting for her happy ending

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

"Not much longer - we can probably walk from h-- oh, shit, sorry." Ronin has glanced over his shoulder to look at Maeve as he speaks, and only when he does so does he realise her less-than-stellar state. "You ought to have said - I can fly lower to the ground." he murmurs; as if in response, the nimbus begins to descend in a lazy dip. Ronin won't plunge them into a dive, not with Maeve looking how she does.

Soon enough they're barely skimming the grasses that are becoming more dense as they get closer and closer to the Wildwood, and Ronin calls the cloud to a halt. "Ta daa," he murmurs, gesturing for her to go ahead and hop down. "I think we ought to be in the woods properly within the next hour or so, and I can get us to the Mathair pretty easily from there. You ever been here?"

RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

"I wasn't going to be difficult." Maeve offers back as means of explanation, squeezing her eyes shut as they begin to glide down closer to the ocean of grass that covers the ground beneath them. She dares to open her eyes, slowly lifting her head when they even back out. An audible breath of relief leaves her when she realizes that they're barely a foot off the ground now. Better. Much better.

The cloud slowly comes to a stop and Maeve slowly inches towards the edge. Her feet dangle, but she eventually manages to find solid grown. With wobbling legs that are more befitting a baby dear, she takes a few steps forward, "No.. I haven't. Haven't really left Torchline, remember?" Maeve glances back at him from over her shoulder, finally straightening up. She looks better already. A bit of color coming back to her cheeks as her hands come up to try and smooth wind ruffled hair.
Poor little girl

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

"You're not difficult if you're being honest," Ronin points out with a small smile, bidding his nimbus farewell and waving it back off into the skies above. He winces as he glances back to Maeve, nodding to her. "That's right, you did say," he murmurs, glancing back towards the woods that wave and blossom in the distance. "Well, you're in for a treat. I was going to live here once," he tells her.

Rather than merely striding off towards the trees, he holds out his arm for her to link her own with - like a proper gentleman and all that. "During Flowerbirth, the trees are the brightest shade of green I've ever seen. And there are blossoms all over the place. The portal is right in the middle of the forest, and so we'll have plenty of time to take a look at everything."

RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"You're just trying to make me feel better," she huffs, rolling her eyes at him. Not that there is any real annoyance behind the action. All for show. His grimace doesn't go unnoticed and she waves a hand, "Oh don't look so upset. You're not offending me by not remembering every little thing I've said." Maeve reassures him gently, taking his extended arm and happily leaning into his side as they walk. Human contact has been limited to just him and she's feeling a bit needy if she's being honest with herself. "You were? What changed?"

Her attention is torn between him and the greenery around them. The sweet smell of blossoms fill her nose and she's in absolute awe. It is gorgeous. There are so many different things growing here that she's never seen before and she lingers as long as he lets her while they walk. Occasionally flitting away from his side to collect a sample or some seeds from different plants to study later. Maybe she'll be able to propagate some of them when she gets back. There could be something really useful among everything here. "I see why you'd want to live here. It's amazing."
Poor little girl

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

"And is trying to make you feel better such a crime?" Ronin wants to know with a smile that just about hints towards the mischievous, and he nods as if to remind himself that he's no longer a baron at a ball, and etiquette isn't what it once was. Believe it or not, the Star doesn't often have a chance to spend extended time in the company of a relative stranger - especially not a lady.

He's quite enjoying it as well, as the grasses grow soft and vibrant underfoot, and the first buds of peeping flowers begin to litter the route ahead. The trees, when they reach them, will seem to enclose them all at once as if by magic - because it is by magic, Ronin has to remind himself. "Safrin," he says gently, as to what changed. "It was decided that I was needed elsewhere. That's why I live in Stormbreak now."

Watching like a chaperone as she flits to and fro to inspect different parts of the Greatwood, Ronin only realises that he's gotten himself a companion when he glances at his shoulders. "Oh, hello," he says; a hanging snake has draped itself around him as they've been walking beneath the trees, currently enjoying this little jaunt through the woods.

RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"The greatest crime, Ronin. Punishable by death. Don't you know that?" Maeve retorts with an arch of her brow as she glances back at him. A telltale smile is tugging on her lips. One hell easily recognize after spending so much time around her. You start to notice things about people when you have nothing but them to really focus on. Maeve accepted towards the beginning she could be with someone much worse than Ronin. He really was a pleasant travel partner.

The sudden shift in the trees unsettles her at first, but when her companion doesn't seem to mind she relaxes in an attempt to follow his lead. Maeve tries not to frown when he mentions the goddess. Just because she doesn't understand why he'd commit himself to her whims doesn't mean his beliefs are invalid. She just has a hard time wrapping her head around it. "That makes sense. It just seems a pity you had to give up a home in a beautiful place like this."

Maeve carefully picks a few sprigs of a herb, tucking them away in her bag before drawing back to his side. Her steps falter as her eyes land on the snake, "Oh.. you made a friend. I actually really like snakes. I always thought they were so pretty. Capable despite being small." She muses softly, tilting her head to the side as she studies the small reptile..
Poor little girl

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

"Well, I will have to prepare for my execution in that case. I assume it will take place in Torchline, as your city of residence? What method of death can I look forward to?" he wants to know; Ronin, of course, is unkillable unless it's a falling star (and honestly, it's not something he likes to think about all that much, because it's still weird and new and he doesn't know if he likes it). "I do hope that I have a good audience."

Maeve, as well, has proven to be quite a good travel partner - between the two of them and the moth man (another large dose of what the fuck, there), the trip has certainly not been boring. "Mm, it was a pity. But I get to see it again now," Ronin reasons about the Greatwood. "Besides, there are other beautiful places in Caido, too." Still, he'd be lying if he said it wasn't nice to be around the trees again, even if he has to be careful not to think too hard about specific memories.

"Oh? These are called hanging snakes - they're really harmless. They just like using you to take a ride through the woods," he explains, tickling the reptile under the chin before unlooping it from around his shoulders, offering it out for Maeve to hold.

RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"You've got it right. We'll do it up on the cliffs. Seems as good of a place as any." She muses tapping her chin in thought as she turns to look at him again, walking backwards for a few steps. "What do you think? Should we tie an anchor to your feet and toss you into the ocean? Poison? Beheading? So many options." Maeve giggles, shaking her head at him as she moves away again to pluck another plant to tuck away in her bag, "We'll invite the whole town. They'll love it."

She returns to his side again, eyes back on the little snake that curls around his shoulders, "I'm sure there are. I think Torchline is beautiful. I've not travelled much, but I've heard good things about the Grounds too." Her shoulders lift in a shrug as she looks up at him and then to the snake. Maeve lifts a finger to run it over the the snake's nose lightly before she carefully takes the small reptile from Ronin.

It curls its way around her fingers and wrist, flicking out its tongue to smell the air. "He's cute." The girl hums, letting the snake slip onto her shoulders and wind its way there to hang lightly around her neck as she starts walking once more.
Poor little girl

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

"You know, I've always fancied being keel-hauled. It wouldn't be up on the cliffs, but if you could find a decent ship that would be willing to do the honours, it could be quite the spectacle," Ronin remarks. He absolutely has not ever fancied being keel-hauled, and it was a horrific punishment from the things he's heard, but hey, if they're playing imaginary executions, why the heck not?

They meander through the woods together, deeper beneath the leafy canopies until the whole world smells like blossoms and earth, and Ronin smiles down at her. "Torchline is beautiful," he agrees. "I can't say the same about the Grounds, though. It's a very stern and sad place. I was there for a long time before the barrier around them dropped."

He wrinkles his nose, all too able to remember those first few seasons in Caido. "I died there too, so... maybe I am biased." Reaching out to tickle at the snake scales that curl comfortably around Maeve's neck, the Star breathes in deep and turns his attention back to the trail ahead.

RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It wasn't the answer she was expecting and it makes her grimace, "Fucking hell. I mean, of you're gonna pick a fake execution then might as well go all out, but fuck." She laughs, shaking her head at him. He is right, though. It would definitely be a spectacle that people would love to see. Although, not much to be seen when the person in question is literally underwater.

Her brows draw together and a slight frown tugs at her lips, "I wonder if Melita went to a different part then... She said she liked the Grounds. I only passed through to get back home. I wasn't too concerned with actually looking around." Maeve admits, glancing over at him with a soft smile as they continue to walk almost leisurely through the forest. There isn't as much of a rush driving them. Perhaps because they're somewhere that Ronin knows well or maybe because they both aren't ready to face what is waiting for them at home.

"Oh, I'm sorry... I imagine that would change your opinion on a place." She murmurs, pressing her lips together as they both focus back on the trail. Her hand gives his arm what she hopes is a comforting squeeze as they walk. She doesn't flit off to look at anymore plants, choosing to stay by his side instead.
Poor little girl

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

"My husband will have you know that I am quite dramatic. So I think if anything keel-hauling quite suits me," Ronin says with a mischievous little smile, and if he'd been wearing a suit he might have straightened his tie. As it is, he lets himself sink into the pleasantries of walking through the Greatwood, and perhaps he's even humming under his breath to pass the time. Her hands are warm against his arm, and the sunlight filters through the trees to dapple across their skin.

"Oh, you have met Melita?" he asks, a smile blooming back across his face. "Don't get me wrong - some parts of the Grounds are probably very nice. I liked the Glade and the Oasis. That's where I first met Sugar, my dragon. Though I left her back in Stormbreak." As for his death, he can only shrug his shoulders a bit. "You don't need to apologise, Maeve. It was a long time ago now. Anyway, if we go... this way, I think we'll come across the Mathair in no time. I bet you're looking forward to getting home."

RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Her laugh is soft even as she shakes her head, rolling her eyes at him. The days they've spent together have revealed as much. He literally rides around on a cloud for fuck sake. Of course he's dramatic. "Believe me, I've noticed." Maeve huffs, bumping his shoulder lightly as they walk through the quiet of the woods. The fall into a companionable silence and when he starts to hum as they meander through the trees Maeve thinks that things really aren't so bad. She could honestly say that she'd rather willingly travel with him again if the opportunity arose.

"Ah, yeah. I did. She helped me board up a few of the windows at the Halenani. We're trying to get it ready for the monsoons." She says with a bob of her head, looking down at her feet to watch her boots sink into the soft grass. "You have a dragon? Well now I'm really jealous. I've considered getting a companion of my own, but I'm not sure what." Maeve muses, head tilting in thought as her steps fall in line with his even as he begins to direct them another way. She goes easily with him, trusting he knows the way. "I know I don't have to. It just felt like the thing to say." Maeve huffs even as she gives his arm a light squeeze, "I am. I miss home. I miss my bed. Also being clean. Ugh. I must look a right mess."
Poor little girl