{O} It's your fault
Gathering Spire Obsidian
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
you see, i take the parts that i remember and stitch them back together
It's the second time he's been to the Spire for the same reason, though this time Nate at least brought his own extra hands. The sun had only just barely begun to set when he'd marched through the portal, towards the crumbling once-prison, his sleeves rolled up as darkness falls more completely around him.

He is the stark picture of a man falling apart. Motionless, save for the hands that fiddle with a match book. A smoke hangs from his lips, unlit, but not quite as forgotten as the one behind his ear. Old habits don’t bring the comfort he seeks, and it’s clear he can’t decide if they’re even worth the effort to pursue.

Pemota drifts around him, a spotlight on the newly minted Demi-god, offering her own kind of peace in a veil of starry lights. Behind him, mostly hidden by the mostly intact walls, holographic arms pick through pieces of obsidian, sorting through shards to find the sturdiest feeling pieces, and providing a soundtrack of clattering rocks.
to make a creature that will do what i say
or love me back
NATE
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
Azrael
i wouldn't know where to start
'sweet music' playing 'in the dark'
They’re back from their initial trip into the wilds, having found quite a beautiful field of wildflowers and a wide expanse of adventure that lingered therein. But as promised, they promised to return home to check in with their father. And they had, shown the little details of their first trek, before deciding to take on the next. For now, however, they debate whether it’s an idea to start in the wilds somewhere else… Torchline, perhaps?

Their feet take them to the Spire but they’re not alone, no, they can hear the shuffling of the debris within, the movement of feet even despite it being light. They slip in, eyes bright as they shift the pack on their shoulders, searching for the source of the sound. And what they see are these beautiful arms of staticky light, so light like the Voice, that they can’t help the wide grin on their face as they approach swiftly to watch.

That’s wonderful!” They chime in their excitement, a truly Bastien styled clasping of their hands above their chest that they can’t help but to do. Their eyes never leave the extra arms, however, bewildered and inspired.
be still 'my foolish heart'
don't ruin this on me
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Nates just about decided that he’s not going to bother with the smoke, reaching up to pluck it from his lips and tuck it behind his other ear. He might as well save it, might as well actually focus on what he’s doing. Things will go by faster if he uses all four hands, instead of just two.

A voice rings out, bright and exuberant and unexpected. Those glowing arms drop what they’re carrying, dark rock shattering on the ground where it falls. Whirling around with a snarl, Nate is surprised by the face that awaits him within the Spire. Whoever this stranger is, they’re familiar, and harmless looking. Not that that means anything, as he well knows.

Whats wonderful?” Theres a demand in his voice, his real arms crossing while the holographic ones draw close to him, hands resting on his hips.
or love me back
NATE
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Azrael
Oh no. They’ve surprised the man. It doesn’t make their smile falter any, however, their gaze very decidedly on the arms that extend, that drop what they’re carrying, before Nate turns to them and their gaze finally casts on the one-eyed man. What’s wonderful? Well, there’s a bite on Nate’s tongue and it’s something they haven’t quite experienced yet. Most times people were quite kind to them. Have they ever been on the receiving end of anger before?

They can’t recall.

So they drift closer, that wide fanged grin still on their face, a hand extending to point at the arms that rest on Nate’s hips. “Your extra arms, of course!” They explain, trying to share all of their excitement, even if Nate’s muted it a fraction in his surprise and anger. Azrael doesn’t know why he’s upset. They just know that they aren’t upset, and perhaps that may help. “How did you get them?” They ask suddenly, curiosity furrowing their brows beneath their dark mop of curls. "Oh, oh, better yet... How do I get them?" That would make their life so much easier, having an extra set of arms to work with.
don't ruin this on me
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
It’s a chore to maintain an aloof huffiness in the face of such endless enthusiasm, but it’s a chore that Nate sets to with quiet determination and a pinch of his brows. ”These?” The extra arms flex, as if it’s really a question of what they’re talking about. The question very quickly changes, though, and flexing gives way to a sullen shrug. ”You’d have to ask the Voice. It’s where I got mine.”

As if they can’t bear to be the centre of attention anymore, arms flicker away and reappear again, piling up more obsidian. Nate has yet to move, his head cocked and his hips canted as he stares at Azrael, trying to figure out the puzzle of him. ”Do i know you?” He finally settles on, his voice less snappy, but still sullen.
or love me back
NATE
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael
The extra arms flex and Azrael’s eyes grow wide, the grin a fraction wider in their excitement. They bob their head rapidly, as if to ensure that it was exactly the thing they were talking about. “Oh.” They admit, as if that made all the sense in the world and they hadn’t simply thought of doing that. How simple. “I’ll have to ask her.” They agree, before they notice that the arms keep moving and Nate’s eyes still remain quite intensely on them.

The question, however, comes out sullen though Azrael doesn’t know why. Their smile falters a fraction before a bubbling laugh leaves them as if they’d forgotten their manners. “I’m sorry. I’m Azrael! I don’t know if we’ve met… Officially, but Papa knows you and we’ve been in family meetings together.” They flash another wide fanged grin. “Though I was quite a bit smaller then. I think I’m fully grown now.” They take a step closer toward Nate with a hint of mischief in their gaze. “I get to go on adventures, now.
don't ruin this on me
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
There’s something impressive about a brightness so buoyant even his attitude can’t bring it down. Maybe, if he weren’t already so irritated, he would be impressed, but as it is Azrael only adds to the storm clouds swirling around him. ”Good luck with that.” He offers, tempering his voice just enough to sound sincere, if incredibly disinterested in who or what the other asked after.

The name rings a dim bell. Nates head cocked to the side, his brows pinching as he thinks, as more explanation finally has things clicking. ”Bastien’s kid, right?” Focrning himself to his feet and closing the rest of the distance between them the doctor stands still a moment then circles the youth. ”You grew up fast, didn’t you?” Adventures has him scoffing, his one eye rolling. ”Is this your first step? Not very far from home.”
or love me back
NATE
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael
Good luck?” They repeat, their head cocking a fraction in a split second of confusion. “I shouldn’t… Need it I don’t think?” Of course, they don’t particularly know. They didn’t see the Voice all that regularly, all things considered. But she had made them into what they are now, and for that? They were content with at least offering the idea of it to her to see if it was something that may suit them too.

What’s the worst thing that could happen? She says no? It wasn’t that big of a deal in the end of she did.

But they drift a bit closer to the doctor, explaining who they are, eyes bright and full of childish mischief as they regard Nate. “Yes!” They chime in agreement. They are Bastien’s kid. Their gaze follows Nate as he circles them, as Azrael involves themself entirely in this conversation, content and happy to see what Nate has to say. “I did grow up fast. A few… Spurts and adjustments, of course, but nothing that wasn’t unexpected.” They had known. The Voice had told Bastien that they would grow faster than the average child.

Immediately their head begins to shake with a no, dark curls flying about their face that they quickly try to tame. “Oh. No I’ve been to King’s End with Aamu. I was just about to head out again, though, and I saw you poking around in here. What are you doing, anyway?” They turn to meet Nate wherever he’s ended up, their head tilting and confusion managing to cross their gaze.
don't ruin this on me
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
”No?” A brow raises in a clear challenge, though Nate’s lips finally twist into something other than a cold sneer. The smirk has more amusement dancing across it, one of the doctors natural arms coming to stroke at his chin. ”You don’t know what I had to do for them yet.” Theres the slightest bit of of a tremor in his voice, like whatever it had been had rocked him to very core, had made him the bitter twist Azrael sees before them.

He’d have to pull out something really good if he was pressed now.

The confirmation that this is the child of his friend has Nate leashing himself. Less a junkyard mutt and more a neighbourhood watchdog. Struggling to summon the kids name to mind, he simply nods quietly, coming to stop where he’d started. ”Neat. You think you got any more spurts in you, Sprout?” Unable to help himself, Nate finds his thoughts turning to Kamaria. Would she age the same, leaping past milestones in a matter of months? Would that make the whole ordeal better, or worse?

Well, colour him sort of impressed then. A reluctant look of acceptance crosses Nate’s face, a concession that Kings End did line up with his idea of exploration. ”I’m collecting rocks for a new shrine in Torchline. Someone,” his face twitches in abject fury, destroyed the last one.”
or love me back
NATE
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael
Their eyes widen in bright surprise at the sound of Nate’s voice – the slight tremor that has them far more intrigued than the anger from before. “What did you have to do for them?” They ask instead, a quiet hushed tone that slips from their voice as if Nate’s a storyteller and they’re simply along for the ride, roped into the conversation, eyes bright and hopeful if not a fraction leery.

Their smile blossoms, fanged and bright at the nickname, their eyes crinkling with a bit of amusement. “No, I don’t think I do!” They chime in amusement, offering a quiet laugh before they settle and ask  Nate what he’s doing here. The amusement falters to something of horror and sadness, however, their steps taking them in a bit deeper to grab a few more of the obsidian Nate’s been collecting, and when their arms are full of a few more rocks, do they turn to Nate with their brows furrowed.

Why would someone do that?” Why would someone destroy a shrine of all things?
don't ruin this on me
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Well shit. His bluff called immediately. Luckily he's good on his feet. "I had to defy Safrin, and refuse to help her." Not something that sounds all too hard, so long as you knew nothing about the capricious herald. "The Voice decided to reward me for my loyalty." It certainly has a nicer ring to it that she fixed my broken pieces.

No more growth spurts. Nate nods, head turning to follow Azrael wordlessly for a moment. "Probably for the best. If you kept growing, you'd be older than your dad soon." And what a crisis that would be for the artist. Finally pushing himself up and following along after Azrael, Nate simply hums, and folds his arms behind his back.

He wants to be able to say that he doesn't want to be the one to destroy whatever shred of innocence Azrael has managed to cling onto, but the truth is there's something deeply satisfying about it. Something about ripping off that blindfold and forcing the truth of the world on something pure. "Because they hate us. They want us destroyed." Savage anger overtakes his tone now, though the mention isn't pointed towards his fellow demi-god. "This is just the beginning. They'll be ripping us apart next."
or love me back
NATE
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael
Their head cocks curiously as they regard Nate, brows furrowing. “You met Safrin?” They ask, also struck a bit with awe. They recall the stories their father had told them of his encounter with the heralds, but Azrael preferred the idea of staying far enough away. After all, they only held love and devotion for the one that had created them. And that was the Voice.

A wide smile grows on their face as Nate tells them that the Voice rewarded him for his loyalty to her. It’s awe inspiring for them, a wonderful story that their teenage mind latches onto immediately. “That’s amazing!” They say in a breathy hum of surprise.

They try to channel their surprise and delight at the story into helping Nate collect the obsidian, though, and their gaze focuses on the black rocks as first a laugh leaves them at the idea of aging past Bastien – the thought making their face twist – before it’s soon replaced by horror. A horror that only grows worse with Nate’s anger. They drop a rock directly onto their foot but they look akin to a deer in the headlights as they regard the other demigod. “Really…?” They whisper, as if re-evaluating their entire plan of trying to find friends out in the great unknown. “They want… To kill us?
don't ruin this on me
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
”Sure.” The one word is accompanied by a shrug, by the sense that it had been underwhelming of it had been anything. Anger means nothing to the herald, especially not his, and it’s a touch more satisfying to act as if her influence is nothing to him. ”I’d keep my distance from her if I was.” Nate has no way of knowing his advice isn’t necessary, but it feels like something he should offer anyway.

Especially as the kid turned teen gasps out their amazement. ”Thanks Sprout, but it was uh... it was nothing.” Brows pinch as he turns to look at Azrael, considering them for a moment, before grinning weakly. ”I’m sure you’ll do even more amazing things for the Voice.” Gods know they’ll have plenty of chances, with what’s gathering on the horizon.

For the first time in a long time, Nate feels true, proper guilt. It’s so difficult to imagine someone who’s managed to maintain ignorance and innocence about the state of the world, but when would Azrael have learned? Bastien is nothing if not an idealist, and a damned good parent. He would shield his child from the horrors of the world.

Regret, curiously, stays far away from him. One way or the other, Nate knows Azrael will have to learn, and if it’s with his horror stories instead of being led astray by a good liar with bad intentions, then that’s fine. ”Some people do. People who follow the old gods. They think we’re,” he struggles for a moment, searching for a kid appropriate word, monsters. They think we’re monsters.”
or love me back
NATE
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael
A sharp nod is given to him from the warning, Azrael mulling it over as they purse their lips slightly. Perhaps it would be something they could speak to their father about, too, recalling that he had some sort of experience with the goddess. But they focus on the rest of it, the excitement over Nate’s reward, the bright fanged smile that crosses their face. “I can heal us right now. Do you want to see?” They ask, excitement lingering in their bones as they essentially trot over toward the stone to help pick more obsidian for Nate, unsure of how many he’ll need.

But the façade of playfulness and happiness leave them with the mention of people out to kill them, to murder them, unsure of why anyone would do such a thing when they were simply wanting to live and be left alone and enjoy life’s treasures. The reality, though, horrifies them and shakes them internally in a way that they haven’t felt before. It scrunches up their face, even as the piece of obsidian falls directly on their foot with a small crunch that they don’t even react to.

Is it… Because of the Mathair?” They ask slowly, remaining still as can be – having never needed to breathe one day in their life – “I talked to Juniper from the Fae and she told me what happened there. I wanted to help her.” They frown, finally moving now to pick up the obsidian from their foot.

And even if Nate’s decided he wants to see their upgrade or not, Azrael activates it anyway to fix their foot. The inside of the spire where they stand becomes alight with lightning that crackles and snakes across the floor, targeting their foot with the electric blue netting, before their deactivating it and beginning to walk toward the bag to dump the obsidian they collected into.
don't ruin this on me