only matters if we care now
for Ama
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Gideon
Imposing penance one by one
You've got a virtue in a vice
Amalia had gone up in Gideon's estimations since her assistance with the shrine destruction; it had shown she was willing to put her actions where her mouth was at least to some extent, that she was dedicated to ending the Ascended menace at least somewhat. As far as he saw it, any Demi God had an obligation to work as hard as they could to eliminate Ascended, and the first conversation he'd had with her had worried him, made her think she was soft.

Hopefully the world was showing her that wouldn't work anymore. It was a lesson they all had to learn at some point.

Thinking it would be good to check in with her, he kept an eye on the temple. Gideon thought it was likely she'd come to pray eventually and whenever he walked through in an evening, glanced over the pews and alcoves; finally, eventually, he saw her there one night, when the rest of the building was almost empty. Approaching her, putting the pot of incense he had been carrying on a hook on the wall, he smiled and asked: "I'd love to know what's on the mind of Safrin's chosen today."
With all the history to guide
You've got a passion in those eyes
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
a certain darkness is needed to see the stars
It seems Gideon is learning the Archangel's habits well, for it is indeed on a quiet night that he finds her sitting in an alcove, legs folded beneath her and head bowed low. Sensitive hearing and an almost animal sense of smell alert her to his approach well before he speaks, the incense heady and almost overpowering, his footsteps imbued with a confidence often lacking in those who stride upon the stone. A belonging Amalia still doesn't feel, but is learning to find in her heart.

She finishes her prayer with a final whispered word, turning to face Gideon just as he stops and hangs the censer upon the wall. "Not Safrin's chosen," the girl corrects softly, her alto voice firm. "Vi's." It's a fluid movement as she unwinds, adjusting to look up at the Priest through dark, intent eyes. There's a hardness in the lines of her face that wasn't there before, determination shaped by loss; gone is the fear of his judgment, because at last they're on the same team.

From her position on the bench Amalia regards the Priest; "I've been thinking about the sky boats," she comments after a long moment, finally turning her attention back to the effigy of Vi. "About how soon, more people will come to Stormbreak. People who don't understand the sins of the Voice, or the plans of the Gods. And what the best way to teach them may be."
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Gideon
"Oh, I see." Gideon chuckled, holding up his hands in an easy apology. "And how many times have you spoken to Vi?" Maybe it was intended to question her worth in Vi's eyes, maybe he was just curious; he kept his tone very even, his face flat, a talent the Priest had learnt over the years. Give as little as you could, get all you can.

He went to sit down on one of the benches, arm across the back and legs crossed, one foot out into the aisle; this was his home and he was comfortable here; Gideon looked Amalia up and down once before she began to speak, taking in what he saw as a new confidence in her. Good; she'd need it in the upcoming years.

What she had to say had been on his mind as well, though Gideon had been more concerned with security rather than education; perhaps it was good to consider the positives too, and luckily this was something he had an answer to. "I've been teaching about the Gods my entire life. I'm prepared for it, if they want to listen - and if they're able to enter. As for yourself, I think speaking of your good experiences with Safrin or Vi would be enough. ...Have you considered that we may soon have to deal with Ascended at our gates?"
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
a certain darkness is needed to see the stars
Gideon's tone may be flat and easy, but the words irk Amalia just the same, her black eyes narrow as she eyes the Priest. "Enough to know who I belong to," the Angel counters sharply, though there's playful pride in the words. "Do you want a catalogue? Why- how many times have you?"

The edges in her voice soften then, the shadows cast by her halo growing less defined. Curiosity replaces confidence, obvious in the way she tilts her head, blinking at the older man. "You know so much about the rest of us, but... Who do you belong to, Gideon?"

She listens intently to the Priest's logic, a furrow to her brow. It's true, Gideon is eloquent and impassioned - the few sermons Amalia has attended prove all this in spades. But when it comes to people from outside Stormbreak? "There aren't temples in Torchline, or Halo as far as I know." She shifts, letting one bare leg dangle off the bench. "It's not enough to wait for people to come to you anymore. We have to go to them- to educate them. Many don't even know what they don't know."

She doesn't comment on the Ascended at the gate. Not yet. But her hands clench instinctively on the stone of the bench, and sadness flickers behind her eyes. "All the more reason to protect whoever we can."
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
Well, she had him there. Gideon huffed out a short laugh and held his hands out before him in admission. "I've spoken to Vi many times...though never had an answer. I can never pretend to be more worthy than you chosen ones, of course." He was but a servant, a conduit for those curious about the Gods to discover them. He'd had to learn and adopt a humble nature early on, in the years he had toiled for the Deities that ruled them and heard nothing in response.

The question turned back on him made him pause; Gideon leaned on the back of the pew, took in a breath. "It's hard to know. The only God I have spoken to personally - and this is something I am telling you in confidence - is Ludo." It wouldn't do, now that more and more people were having visions and meetings, for it to be public knowledge how little direct experience he had. "So I suppose you could say Ludo, though, really...I belong to whoever can use me. I have devoted my life to being a servant of all the Gods."

Had Amalia not been who she was, he would have reacted strongly to the implication that he didn't already take his message out into the world. As it was, Gideon stared before closing his eyes and taking a moment to swallow down the immediate offence. "Since I have been able to, I have been making visits to the other regions to spread knowledge of the Gods and I will continue to do so. Often, though...they simply don't want to listen." He rubbed his chin, thinking of Zeph and the pub - ignorant idiots. "Maybe that is where people like you, that have spent more time there, are truly useful; many don't trust me because I am a stranger...and one with a rather intimidating amount of experience."

Was that egotistical? Probably, but he thought it was also true.

"Do you...know anyone that has Ascended?" He asked, noting the sadness in her eyes; coming from the Grounds, she had to have seen the consequences of the Voice up close.