average ordinary everyday superhero
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
FINN
and into the forest i go,
October is right.

Finn has never wanted to be a hero.

And yet, in times when the situation really calls for it - when skeletal hands come reaching from supply cupboards, or when a friend has collapsed and is near death in the middle of the desert - here Finn is. And it's true that whilst he was able to get them back to the infirmary in time, whilst Tobi has undoubtedly begun to recover from her ordeal, the Spyglass is nowhere to be found.

Because everything has a cost, and even if the initial nausea from travelling with a companion using his compass has gone, the scars that shine from their interactions are still red raw. Finn has spent most of his time between his office and his rooms, wasting very little time on any interaction between this, and Tobi's letters have gone unanswered.

But a jaunty little card with a bad picture of a hot chocolate on it does adorn his desk in his office, and his glasses are kept safe within a well-made leather case.

And finally, he feels as though he might be up to seeing people again. Actually, no. Just the one person. Either way, it's on careful, near silent feet that Finn creeps down towards the clinic in the late evening, seeming more like a ghost than anything in an ill-fitting shirt that looks like it's been slept in. Having avoided the world, of course he hasn't been visiting for his sleeping draught, so the dark circles beneath his eyes are impressive to say the least as he pushes open the door to the reception area.
to lose my mind and find my soul
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 14 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
please don't ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize anywhere
Though she knows what she has done, Tobi can only guess at the cost. He's busy, she tells herself, of his silence. You didn't ask him for any sort of response, so why are you expecting one? she rationalizes of her unanswered letter. What makes you think he doesn't have a glasses case? He isn't the sort for cards. And the loudest whisper of all in her mind: Why did you have to ask him for help? Your impulsiveness shouldn't have cost him so much. How could you?. She was right. Who was she to take that from Finn?

As Finn enters the clinic, one of the nurses looks up and fixes him with a stare. "Mr. Rosencrantz!" She scolds with a matronly wag of her finger which is echoed in the sway of her jowls. "If you think that because you've not picked up your prescription for the past week that I am going to let you have all of it—" Hearing his name, Tobi is immediately on her feet. Instead of running into the clinic to wrap her arms around Finn's neck and sing his praises and her apologies, she instead tiptoes to her door, opening it a crack and peering out. Even from the slim slit of light she's viewing him in, he looks rough. Hissing in a breath as the nurse continues her lecture—"-and I know you know where they're kept, so don't even think about it!"—and so on, and so forth.
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
FINN
The sound of his name has Finn jumping, the Spyglass letting out a soft sigh as he realises that he's put himself in the firing line of his favourite nurse. (That's a lie, by the way). Still, whilst he'd normally take the lecture with a small nod and hardly a glance towards her face, this time Finn blinks through his exhaustion, tilts his head, and notes her nametag. Then he reaches for a blank sheet of paper on the reception desk and a pencil, jotting down the name, folding the paper neatly and tucking it into his pocket.

"I am feeling quite unwell," he explains in a low voice. "And so I was wondering if I might be able to arrange an appointment with Doctor Hart, if you would be so kind." For now or for later, the Spyglass isn't fussy. But now would be better. Now would be ideal, actually.
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Her cheeks grow red as Finn notes down her name, leaving the nurse to draw herself up to her full height, chin tilted upwards. "Mr. Rosencrantz. Spyglass or no, there are ways of doing things around here, and you simply can't—"

"No, it's alright. I'm free."
Tobi interrupts, poking her head out from her door. She can't quite look at Finn, so instead her dark eyes land upon the nurse who receives a bright smile from the doctor. "Doctor Hart, you needn't—" The nurse continues, seeming quite intent on keeping Finn from getting his way tonight.

"No, no. It's absolutely fine." With her cheeks still round circles of happiness, Tobi looks toward Finn. "Come on it." It takes everything she has to say that without wanting to burst into tears (or into his arms).

Opening the door and turning into her office, Tobi quickly rakes her hands through her hair (messing up her ponytail in the process), and reminds herself to breathe and do her fucking job.
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
"Would you be able to tell me how things are done here, in that case? I was of the impression that one made an appointment with a doctor when one was unwell. Is there a different procedure I ought to be following?" Finn's voice never goes beyond mild confusion, his voice quiet and polite, but those who know him well - and this includes Tobi, in such a case - will recognise the thread of steel in his spine brought out by a severe lack of sleep. It is a very difficult thing to rile up the Spyglass, but the fuse on his temper is not infinite.

Then Tobi comes to the rescue and, while it's subtle, the way Finn's shoulders relax are a sure indication that he's pleased to see her, and for her to take over. With a polite nod to the nurse, Finn pats his pocket (the one with the note in it) and follows the doctor into her office without a further glance back. He even closes the door behind him, more than happy to shut out the world.

"Thank you for agreeing to see me," he murmurs. "I wanted to apologise for not replying to you. It has been a long week. How... How are you doing, after everything?"
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
'Well...!' The nurse's voice grows more shrill as she's challenged, but it's only as Finn taps his pocket that she properly shrinks back to her duties. As soon as his back is turned, she immediately hustles off to animatedly gossip about Finn.

The door clicks behind them, and Tobi is as confused by it as she is relieved. A quick prescription refill wouldn't require more than a moment or two between them, and a closed door might mean Finn wants to talk. But if so, is it only to tell her how badly she's messed everything up? Has he come to tell her off and kick her out of his life in person? "Wh—of course." Tobi immediately replies, the words rushing out of her mouth on the heels of an exhale that's louder than she meant for it to be.

Wait. He was apologizing to her?

The flush of worry and panic on Tobi's cheeks warms as she shakes her head, her eyes no longer owlishly large with alarm. "How am I? Finn, how are you?" Taking a step towards him, Tobi has to link her fingers together to keep from reaching out. All she can do is beam at him with relief and regret, her dark eyes somehow both joyful and filled with sorrow at the same time. "I thought...when I was finally released and I hadn't heard from you...and then when you didn't answer your door, and hadn't come by for your medicine..." Slowly she shakes her head, looking down at her palms. "..I'm so sorry Finn. I really screwed up."
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
The nurse is forgotten almost as soon as the door clicks shut, Finn letting out a short breath of relief. Tobi takes a step towards him and, for once, the Spyglass doesn't backtrack, doesn't try to flee. He merely offers a sad smile to her, raking a hand back through his curls. "You didn't screw up, you almost died. A little lost sleep is nothing to know that you are still here," he says softly. With anyone else he might just stick with the generic response - I'm fine, just tired - but she's a doctor, and he came here to see her on purpose.

"I haven't been sleeping." No shit, Sherlock. "Maybe an hour or two a night, sometimes less? It is starting to affect my work." And that's putting it mildly; Finn caught himself filing a mug under the letter "T" of his filing cabinet. Which is ridiculous in the first instance, because it really ought to have gone under "M" for mug, but--

That is not the point. "I don't think the medicine will cut it this time."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
"I know, but I should have been more careful. I never want you to have to pay for my mistakes." Tobi argues; in wanting to accept all the blame and never letting anyone bear responsibility for their actions, the doctor and the Spyglass were fairly evenly matched.

Tobi nods, swallowing down all the guilt and lingering need to apologize profusely. This was about Finn now. She could send him a thousand letter openers and notepads with stupid puns on them later to try and make up for things.

"Okay." Releasing her fingertips from one another, Tobi lets her hand fall back down toward her leg, though not all the way. It remains between them, if only slightly, her fingers loosely opened towards him. The gesture is meant to be undemanding and easy to ignore if he wants to, or not. Tobi never quite knows when physical contact serves as reassurance for Finn and when it sets his hackles up.

"We'll figure it out. Together." She says with a reassuring nod. "What do you need?" A vacation? A quick coma? Another snow-filled gallop through the Celestine?
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
"You have paid for mine enough times. Let us consider ourselves even," Finn suggests, his smile trying for self-deprecating but ending up dark. She has bathed the sand and soot from his skin after his fever-jaunt through Apopo; she's splinted and bandaged his hand after he broke it in a delirious fit of panic. And that's just scratching the surface. But even so...

Okay, she says. Finn closes his eyes, as if she's just given him permission to be precisely the opposite of okay, and if there was a seat anywhere nearby, he might have just slumped into it. But instead, when his eyes open again, it's Tobi holding out her hand, and the Spyglass reaches out gratefully to take it. "I don't know what I need," he whispers, his free hand rubbing at his forehead. "Company, maybe. I just... I'm tired of being tired."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
Tobi is absolutely not going to count them as even, but she'll pester him about that another time. Instead as his fingers slip into hers, she gives them a soft squeeze. "I can do that." She agrees in a voice that's closer to girlish than professional.

'Do you want to stay here? I have...' Glancing at her desk, the doctor frowns. There are scattered papers, a few dead plants given the lack of light, a change of clothes and a smattering of medical books on her shelves. 'Stale crackers, wine, and a couch?" Crinkling her nose she looks back at him with a soft shrug. She isn't implying the sort of baggage that might come with blankets and wine and couches, merely that was what the room currently held, and he could take it or leave it as he wished.

"Or we could hunt for more ghosts in the basement? Go for a run through the Celestine?" Grinning openly, Finn looking as though getting back to his apartment would take more energy than he had, these suggestions clearly aren't seriously made. "Or if you're in the middle of a book, I could read it to you until you fell asleep?"
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
"Thank you," Finn murmurs, and he means it more than he has meant anything in a long time. (And that's saying something, because the Spyglass doesn't usually hide anything, even his awkwarness). "I think I would like to stay, if that is alright. I only think I can deal with the couch." The stale crackers and wine might make him throw up at this point - and so will hunting for ghosts in the basement. Indeed, Finn's already pale face grows maybe a touch paler at the thought of any exercise right now...

Only to brighten with relief at the mention of a book. "Yes, please," he says, happy to let Tobi lead the way - he's barely noticing her hand in his at present. "It doesn't matter if I was in the middle of something. I will listen to any book you were reading," he says. Honestly, Finn can't remember anyway. He's probably read at least two books in a stupor, over these last few days.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
"Okay." Releasing his hand, Tobi nods her head toward the couch as she goes to fetch the crackers (she is hungry), and a blanket. Tossing the blanket toward Finn as he takes a seat, the doctor goes to her bookshelves, hands on her hips as she looks over what is available. It's all work-related.

All except one.

Reaching up to the very top shelf, Tobi pulls out a relatively thin volume with a crudely drawn cover. Smiling fondly at it, she shows it to Finn over her shoulder with an almost shy smile. "This is one of my favourites." She murmurs, before joining him on the couch once he's fully situated. If he hasn't already, Tobi will drape the blanket over them both, pop a cracker into her mouth, before opening the book to the middle. As she reads, the doctor's voice takes on a rather golden quality as she tries her best to narrate with as much love as the book deserves.

The next day the little prince came back.

"It would have been better to come back at the same hour," said the fox. "If, for example, you come at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to be happy. I shall feel happier and happier as the hour advances. At four o'clock, I shall already be worrying and jumping about. I shall show you how happy I am! But if you come at just any time, I shall never know at what hour my heart is to be ready to greet you... One must observe the proper rites..."

"What is a rite?" asked the little prince.

"Those also are actions too often neglected," said the fox. "They are what make one day different from other days, one hour from other hours. There is a rite, for example, among my hunters. Every Thursday they dance with the village girls. So Thursday is a wonderful day for me! I can take a walk as far as the vineyards. But if the hunters danced at just any time, every day would be like every other day, and I should never have any vacation at all."  

Looking over her shoulder, Tobi tilts her head the way a dog might, when hearing a high pitched sound. "Good? Comfortable?"
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
Too tired to argue or to make excuses or even to feel anxious, Finn does indeed accept the blanket and shuffle to the couch as Tobi goes to inspect her bookshelves. Sinking down onto the edge of it at first, it's not long before the Spyglass is shuffling back and getting as comfortable as he dares without stretching out and taking up the entire space. And when the doctor does return, he helps to settle the blanket over both of their laps, Finn peering curiously at the book she has brought.

He can barely see it, let alone recognise the cover, so it's with a quiet and agreeable nod that he simply decides to go with it. And then? Then Tobi starts to read. Finn has no idea of the context, but as he lets his eyes flutter shut, the words bloom into images behind his eyes. He can see a fiery golden crown, couples dancing, a vineyard that stretches on, and on, and on...

What would it be like, he thinks, to be a little prince? To observe proper rites, and to visit foxes at four o'clock? How would it all work? Finn has never thought to get a companion, but perhaps a fox would be a nice addition. And then he would never be short of company.

As Tobi turns to look at him, the impossible will have happened. Indeed, the small shift she makes is enough for him to slump against her shoulder, his eyes closed and his breath growing slow and deep. Finn is gone into dreamland, with nothing more than a couple of paragraphs of a fairytale.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
Tobi is about to continue, to point out the illustration and explain to him about the man who drew them when she feels Finn all but slump against her. It takes almost all Tobi has not to burst out laughing, and indeed she has to bite her lips together to keep her amusement tucked safely away in the back of her throat.

"Fairytales are always stronger than medicine. Tobi sweetly whispers, reaching across as carefully as she dares, to tuck the blanket back under Finn's chin.

Finishing the rest of the book herself, her eyebrows rising and falling with her inner narration, it's only when the candle in her office burns itself out that Tobi is forced to consider sleeping arrangements. She won't wake Finn for all the world, but nor does she think she can sleep with him awkwardly resting half on her shoulder. So she does what any good doctor and friend would do when faced with a touch-wary friend in need of sleep: she becomes a pupper to cuddle the shit out of him safely. In the morning, Finn will find himself still on the couch, with a warm wet nose pressed against his neck and a snoozing berner in his arms.
October