finding salvation
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 60 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 60 - Luck: 81 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3601

Ronin's jaw drops in a very how dare you expression; a joke, of course, because how else can he tell her that he's not dramatic unless he's dramatic about it? Still, the scandalised look on his face melts back into a smile as Maeve bumps against his shoulder, and he leads them deeper still into the woods. In fact, Ronin doesn't know where he's going, and that's precisely the point. He's doing his best not to look for the Mathair, because he guarantees they'll stumble upon it just as soon as the Greatwood is ready.

"Ah, of course. I hope that the Governor was successful in trying to stop things from getting quite as... waterlogged as last year." Ronin had heard of Sunjata's attempts to make the islands safer from monsoon season, but of course he went and left Torchline, so it no longer stays on his radar. (It should, though, what with the skyport he's trying to bring there).

"I do have a dragon. She is quite the mistress too - she keeps me toeing the line," he says with a warm laugh. "I always think that our companions choose us, rather than the other way around. One will find you when you're ready, unless you want that hanging snake to take home?" he suggests. "Also I can assure you that you do not look a mess. The woods suit you, madam."

RONIN
Darkness is a funny thing. It creeps up on you.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 27 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

He makes her laugh. A rather common occurrence these days. Their relationship has evolved over the last few days of travel. He quickly went from a complete stranger to someone she trusted with her life. Being thrown into the Wilds will do that. He offers a warm sort of security that she's not found easily in others. There isn't that typical cloud of lust and attraction; don't get her wrong, he's incredibly handsome and charming, but there is no desire to pursue anything there. Not like that. She's grateful for his presence and the care he's provided for her during their travels.

"I hope so. You know... I don't think I've actually met him. The governor. I mean, I've seen him around and all of that, but I don't think I've ever spoken to him." (Little does she know that she's about to come rather close with said governor.) Maeve shrugs her shoulders, "I'm going to plan for more preparations when I get back. We sustained some damage last year and I'd rather avoid that this year." She casts her eyes up to him for a moment before they go back to looking at their surroundings, making mental notes of different plants she sees. She'll have to ask Sam if he has any books on the Greatwood. Surely he does. It would be good to have some text to help her identify things whenever she gets back.

Not to be forgotten, the hanging snake in question flicks his tongue against her cheek in a mock kiss and she reaches up to rub under his chin. "I'm sure one will. Things get a bit lonely in my line of work, if you can believe it." Maeve laughs softly, shaking her head as she reaches up and picks a stray leaf from her curls, "Haven't you heard? Wearing leaves in your hair is all the rage this season."
Poor little girl
still waiting for her happy ending

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

"Oh, you haven't? He's a delicate soul, Maeve. You be careful with him, you hear? He's a close friend of mine." Ronin speaks with the crooked sort of smile that suggests she's akin to a mischievous younger sister, about to go on the prowl after someone who might not be quite as ready for her as she is for them. Because it's true from Ronin's point of view as well - she has provided him with a welcome escape from the way his life has flipped on its head over LongNight, and this trip through the Wilds would not have been nearly as effortless without her company.

"Oh, I can absolutely believe it. It takes quite the woman to be able to do your line of work, and you have my respect for it. Even if I did fuck up and call you a whore to begin with." Ronin smirks, reaching out as well to pluck another leaf from her hair that she's missed. "You'll be trend-setting for all of Torchline when you get back. Speaking of--"

Ronin's face lights up in a relieved smile as, before them, an enormous tree with a curious shimmer about it appears. They enter into a glade as beautiful and bursting with life as the rest of the Greatwood, but this is clearly more than an average tree. This is the Mathair - the mother tree, and it will soon enough lead them home.

RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 27 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Maeve feigns a look of indignation, pressing a hand to her chest as she huffs, "Ronin! You say that as if I'm going to run off and ruin him!" She isn't and she won't. A smile breaks her facade and she giggles, shaking her head, "I promise I'll behave. Not going to go accost your close friend." Maeve crosses her heart with the words as if she's making a promise.

He reminds her of his little slip up before and she snorts, "Gods. You really fucked up with that. You're lucky I like you enough to put up with it. Even if you are dramatic as hell. Remind me to send a gift basket to your husband for putting up with your bullshit. He definitely deserves one." Of course she doesn't know of the troubles they're having. Ones that they thankfully are able to work through in the long run. It's all in good fun. The way she teases him.

As they reach the glade, Maeve carefully removes the hanging snake from her shoulders. As much as she might love a companion it's probably best she waits until after the monsoons. Maeve releases him into the grass, watching as he slithers off and away. "I guess this is it then, huh?" A breathless awe coats her words as she looks up at the tree in wonder.
Poor little girl

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

"I will hold you to that, Maeve, so I hope you are being sincere," Ronin says with a shit-eating grin, though his smile risks faltering at the mention of his husband. His sort of husband, at this point in his timeline. But also not at all. It's Ronin's fault, really - so comfortable had he become with her, he'd forgotten all about his troubles for just long enough to make comment about Remi without thinking. It's coming back to bite him now, but he does his best to bounce back. And it's comparatively easy, when they're suddenly so close to home.

"Do you like me enough to let me lead us through this portal and back to Torchline?" he asks, holding out his hand for her to take once she's done releasing the hanging snake back into the grass. "This is it, yeah. It's been a heck of an adventure, though. Next time - if there is a next time - hopefully the Wilds will throw us somewhere just as nice, eh?"

RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"I am. I'll run into him naturally. You know... After following him around for a few days." Her grin matches his own and she really is joking. She's not the type to go to those kinds of extremes. Maeve doesn't doubt that she'll meet the governor sooner or later. His smiles falters as do his steps when she mentions Remi. He recovers quickly and Maeve doesn't press because they're so close to being back home and she's not going to ruin it.

Maeve turns back to him, taking his hand and giving it a squeeze, "I suppose I can tolerate your company for a little longer." She drawls, another laugh threatening to bubble up in her chest as she looks up at him. It's definitely been a ride and despite the bumps along the rode, she's grateful to have been on it with him. "Or hopefully they won't throw us anywhere at all. Not that you weren't a most wonderful travel companion... I'd rather not fear for my life." Maeve turns her attention back towards the tree and lets him lead them home.
Poor little girl

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

Ronin can only bounce his eyebrows at Maeve for that, though the lighthearted humour that returns to his expression suggests that he knows she's joking. They have quite the similar sense of humour; he's finding this the longer he spends around her, and it means that it's with a gentle elbow to her ribs that he leads them, at last, towards the portal.

"We can tolerate each other for a little longer," he corrects with a gentle inclining of his head, and whilst he would usually offer for her to go first like a gentleman, for something like this, he thinks it's best if he leads the way.

"We would both rather that, I can assure you. Now come on - let's get you home." And with that, Ronin leads them forth into the portal, and gets them en route back to moody skies and rolling waves.

Shame, really, that they never got those herbs for the Halenani in the end.

~FIN

RONIN