count yourself in
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
RONIN
THE DARK STAR
There is no skyport in Torchline yet (and there won't be until the writer of this thread finishes her stupid PQ+), but after meeting in the Hanged Man, there is enough room on the skyboat returning to Stormbreak to carry the new recruits. When they arrive at the Falling, it's in the middle of a sunshower, but the rain has just about eased off by the time they make it to the Dragon's Nest. Ronin steps in through the gates of the barracks, running his fingers through his damp hair and turning to smile across at Locke.

"I can give you a tour and show you to the sleeping quarters," he suggests, Sugar still curled around his shoulders and offering a trill of agreement as her two cents. "I know it's a lot drearier than Torchline, but... what do you think so far? Anything in particular catch your eye?" The Star smiles, not expecting it to be the case, but equally hoping that the stark contract between Stormbreak and Torchline hasn't caued the other man to change his mind.
now don’t you lose hope
I swear I never dream that we’re alone
I swear I still believe but I don’t know
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
Falling farther from just what we are
It's wet here. And cold. And gray. Kind of the opposite of everything he's used to. He hangs back behind Ronin, following him like the good little dog he's pretending to be. His eyes pan over the stone walls before back at the man in front of him. Sleeping quarters. That's probably the thing he's looking forward to the least. Besides all of the rain. There's so much fucking rain. Then again he's only been here for like.. less than a day so maybe it won't be so bad.

"Very.. gray. Kind of miss all the color of Torchline." He kind of shrugs though, taking a few longer strides to match Ronin's pace. He dips his head to look at Sugar, she doesn't seem concerned by the rain one bit. Interesting. "Can't say the statues aren't cool though. I've heard they uh.. come alive? Or is that another rumor?" You hear lots of lies and rumors in Torchline. But, some facts are stranger than fiction.
Smoke a cigarette and lie some more
These conversations kill
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RONIN
THE DARK STAR
"Oh, Stormbreak has plenty of colour. You just need to know where to look for it. Perhaps after training one day, I'll show you the Silk Houses and you can decide if that's more to your liking. It feels like Torchline down there, without the sand and the sea." What Ronin means, of course, is that it can be just as sordid and seedy as some of the places the islands have to offer. But that's for later, and Ronin begins walking the parameter of the Dragon's Nest from the inside, pointing out the training grounds (obvious in that they're massive and outdoor) and the various buildings.

Around them there are a few recruits working their drills, jogging past or sparring, and a couple of Dragoons can be seen walking the tops of the walls that stretch across Stormbreak's only entrance out into the Wilds. "I've heard the same," he agrees about the statues, flashing a grin in Locke's direction. "Apparently they only come alive in the presence of an Abandoned. So I suppose it will need to remain a rumour until then..."

Continuing, Ronin tucks his hands into his pockets. "I've got to ask - was there a reason you wanted to leave Torchline to do this?"
now don’t you lose hope
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
Locke follows along after him, eyes roaming over the new sights, trying to build some kind of mental map. He pauses in his walking for a moment, watching the recruits train. An almost nervous feeling builds up in his stomach. Is he really built for this kind of thing? Ronin speaks again, catching his attention. "Oh? Can't say I'm not curious. Silk house kind of sounds like a whore house honestly." He huffs a little laugh, taking a few longer steps to catch up to him. Doesn't matter if he's cut out for it anymore. He's here. No turning back.

"One day someone will have to explain to me why they're so anti-Abandoned here." Probably something to do with gods and drama and things. He's never had time to care while he was in Torchline. Recently, all this talk of gods and the divine has got him thinking though. He's Accepted, one of the ones the gods are supposed to be soft for. Not that he's ever tried his luck with it. Maybe some day.

He's attention drifts back to the recruits for a moment before he looks over at Ronin. He gives him a little shrug in reply, "Don't really got anything there. This seemed interesting. Not any kind of fancy story to it. Why'd you come out here?"
These conversations kill
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
THE DARK STAR
"There are a few brothels in the Silk Houses, it's true. They say the best of the best there is called Mother Molly's," Ronin agrees with Locke, smiling back at him and catching his glance towards the recruits as they train. "You'll run rings around them before long, I'm sure. They've not had a Torcher among them before, I don't think," he says, his tone warm and encouraging. A former captain of training, if there's one thing Ronin's confident about, it's his ability to bring soldiers up to par.

Locke's remark about the Abandoned has him frowning a little; has he been in Stormbreak for so long already that he's forgotten that the rest of the Caido isn't so knowledgeable (or closed-minded, possibly)? "The Voice was rumoured to be an Abandoned," he explains. "That is why the Old Gods are reticent to deal with them."

Continuing on away from the recruits, the two men make their way around towards the barracks proper. "Well, here's hoping that it interests you enough that you stick around. As for me, there is a fancy story to go with it, but it's boring. I'm here because the gods wanted me here, let's leave it at that. If you've a free night one day, maybe I'll bore you with the details."
now don’t you lose hope
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
"I wonder how they compare to the ones in Torchline. Not that I've been to many." Locke's only been to the Halenani and he's not sure if he even counts as a customer. He shakes his head, turning to look at the other recruits then back to Ronin. "We'll see. I wonder how many of them have been in a real fight before." Nothing like getting a knife pulled on you to show you what you really know. It's only happened enough times that he's lost count.

Ronin's remark about the Voice gives him pause as well. "And that's bad because?" Don't you pay attention to anything Locke? No. No he does not. "Guess it makes sense though." He can't image what it must be like to be Abandoned and then to claw your way to Godhood. Not that he knows how it works. He knows demi-gods are thing but.. The gods themselves are beyond him.

"Ooh, hand picked by the gods, you must truly be something special." Locke gives him an almost genuine grin. Not quite but almost. "I'll hold you to it. Can bring you something in exchange for it maybe. Are there any kitchens around here? I'm itching to try the flavors of Stormbreak. Can't image it's quite as tropical but I'm curious."
These conversations kill
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
THE DARK STAR
"I've only been to Molly's, and I never went to any in Torchline. All I can really say is that Molly's is pretty fancy." As far as brothels go, anyway. Ronin isn't aware if there's a baseline or anything. Following Locke's gaze towards the recruits, the Star can only grin, because honestly? He doesn't know. "Perhaps you should ask them, or ask if they'd like to. Sure way to make friends, right?" He nudges the other man with his elbow.

As for the Abandoned and the Voice? Ronin raises his eyebrows, itching at the stubble on his chin. "I'm not nearly pious enough to be able to give you the Stormbreak answer to that question. There's a temple here, though. Maybe a priest can enlighten you." Granted, for someone not pious, hand picked by the gods isn't too far wrong, and Ronin groans playfully.

"Well, I suppose someone's got to be. And are you suggesting food in exchange for a story? Because I am in. Didn't realise you were a cook." He's grinning now, properly. "There are some kitchens in the barracks, if you want me to unleash you on them."
now don’t you lose hope
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
”I’ve been to the Halenani. I’m friends with the Madam. Maybe I’ll check it out, just out of curiosity.” Could you call what they were friends? Yeah. She’s definitely his friend. Anything beyond that? Well he hasn’t figured it out. He looks Ronin over, watching him grin. ”Mm, I suppose. Friends aren’t really a thing I do. But I guess it would be good for the teamwork or whatever.” He’s just going off what he assumes this will be like.

He laughs, shaking his head, ”Chosen by the gods and not pious, huh? Poor choice on their end it seems. Maybe I’ll head over. Never been to a temple before. Never really bothered with the gods. Don’t seem like my kind of people.” Do the gods even count as people? Probably not. Still not his kind of thing.

”I am. Oldest of eleven. You learn a few things. It was easier to come up with meals on the fly if I knew what I was doing. You’ll have to tell me what you like. I don’t mind kissing up to my commander.” He winks, turning to walk backwards so he can watch Ronin. ”I’d love to be unleashed in the kitchens. It’s the only honorable skill I have.”
These conversations kill
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
THE DARK STAR
"Friends are not a thing you do, and yet you are friends with Maeve?" Ronin knows by now that Phoebe is no longer the madame of the Halenani, and honestly. All the power to Maeve. "I can't say I'm surprised, though. She does have a habit of making a friend out of anyone she sees." Perhaps it had been simpler for them because they'd literally been stuck on the road together, though. Anyway. "You're quite right. It is good for teamwork."

He can only shrug to the other man at the remark about the gods. "You could argue yes, I suppose. I am pious enough for Safrin, and that is all that really matters in her books." But they're talking about food now, and Locke is about to find that both Ronin and his companion are very much religious followers of the act of eating; Sugar has already looked up from around Ronin's shoulders, keen to listen in on this conversation.

Eleven, huh? Damn." He almost makes an off colour remark about how Locke's parents must not have had many hobbies, but thinks better of it. "It would be my pleasure to show you the kitchens. And for the record, bribery gets you everywhere." With a chuckle, Ronin leads them into the barracks now. It's all cold, grey stone and the smell of leather and steel, at least when you first step inside.

"There's very little I don't like, honestly. What's your specialty?"
now don’t you lose hope
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
"I don't typically do my friends either, but Maeve seems to be the exception, not the rule." He snorts, shaking his head. There's just a faint hint of red to his cheeks. He knows she sleeps with other people but it's different with him, right? He doesn't pay.. Not that he cares. "She does make friends easily. Oh! Speaking of, she wanted me to tell you she says hello." He had thought about it earlier but it seemed out of place. Doesn't really feel in place now but oh well. He did it!

He watches Sugar as she begins to move towards him. He's over god talk and it seems the pair are too. Good for him. "Eleven. I think. I'm pretty sure at one point people were just putting their kids in the gaggle I already had." He knows for a fact two were his full siblings. The rest? Half siblings, orphans. Who knows. He sure as hell didn't but he wasn't about to turn away those fat little faces.

"I'll have to keep that in mind. The bribery." He winks at Ronin, following after him again. Is he supposed to be looking around? Oops. He's probably going to be getting lost at least once. Maybe he can bribe someone else into showing him around. He does pause to smell though. He loves the way leather smells and he could get used to the steel in no time.

Ronin catches his attention again, "Oh? Soup is my favorite thing to make but I've been told my cakes are pretty good too. I don't know how easy sugar and things are to come by here though."
These conversations kill
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
THE DARK STAR
"Oh, she does? I'll have to send a letter to the Halenani to wish her well," Ronin says, still grinning. And whilst he definitely does notice the flush to Locke's cheeks, he's experienced enough in matters of the heart not to come out with it overtly. "Would you like me to sign it from you as well?" he asks, guessing that the letters that the other man might want to send may be a little more private in nature.

Letting out a laugh as Locke describes his family (blood relatives or otherwise), Ronin ducks in through a doorway and leads them deeper into the barracks. It grows warmer, once they are away from the initial entrance, and more akin to the inside of a house than the cold, detached feel from before. "Well," he says, "you ought to be used to relative strangers showing up and asking for some dinner. Soldiers aren't all that different."

Both soup and cake have Sugar trilling loud approval, Ronin chuckling at his companion. "It's safe to say we will both be lining up to taste some," he murmurs. "You shouldn't have trouble getting much of any ingredients in Stormbreak either. I find it's more advanced, if anything, than other places."
now don’t you lose hope
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
"Nah. She wants me to write to her but I'm not very good at writing. Might send her some treats and shit. Can give you something to send her. I don't know what she likes though." Honestly he doesn't know her that well. Sure, they fucked a lot but that's really all they have going for them. And she fucks lots of people, hell, she was going to fuck Remi while he was sleeping in the bed. His brow furrows for a moment as he thinks before he shrugs it off. Feelings suck.

Ronin gets an almost chuckle, maybe a bit forced, "Yeah I suppose. Gonna adopt the whole barracks I guess." The inside feels much nice, much cozier. Kind of reminds him of a place he might stay during Longnight or something. His eyes flutter to Sugar as she trills, a genuine grin spreading across his face.

"Yeah the city looked pretty big. I'm sure I can find all kind of things here. I've heard there's blink hares? Wonder if they're any good. Blink hare stew maybe?" He's clearly already thinking of what he could cook. "You're gonna have to help me figure out recipes. Apologies to your.. partner, if you have one.. I'll make extra." Cooking is the only way he feels even remotely good about himself.. He's happy to share.
These conversations kill
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
THE DARK STAR
"I can't speak much for Maeve but I am always partial to food. Or maybe you could get her some artwork of Stormbreak, show her what she's missing?" Ronin grins to Locke and shrugs his shoulders. "Whatever you decide, if you let me know what you want to get her, I'll send it with my letter. Might take a little while to get there though, because of the monsoons." The other man is probably already aware of that, though, given how he's an island native.

"The rest of the barracks might be partial to being adopted - you won't know until you try," he suggests. Leading them along the corridors and down towards the kitchens, Locke will likely recognise a few scents on the air, but it's all rather bland and salty. Not horrific by any means, but cooking is definitely just a job for those in the barracks - it's not a passion. Sugar doesn't turn her nose up at it, but she does settle back around Ronin's shoulders.

Blink hare stew, though. That gets both of their attention, Ronin's eyes lighting up. "Husband," he says about his 'partner'. "And he will probably be very pleased that you have stopped me from trying to burn things and call it cooking. Do you want to sneak into the kitchens and see what ingredients there are already?"
now don’t you lose hope
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
He hums softly, "I'll figure something out." He's still not quite sure where things stood with her and he's not sure he's going to find out any time soon or if it even matters. "I'll keep that in mind though, thanks."

"Don't mind being called Daddy I guess." He's distracted as he says it, the smells of the kitchen hitting him and pulling his attention away. Even if he's taller than Ronin, he's been a step behind him this whole time, save for a bit earlier.

"Husband huh? Nice. Can give you some things to try yourself, if you want. Always heard the way to a man's heart is through his stomach." He's coming for your man Remi, even if it's accidental. "And of course I want to sneak into the kitchens. Can make us some lunch if you want. If you're not feeling sick that is." He's feeling mostly alright, the cool air helped whatever lingering queasiness was sitting in his belly. He forgets about it as soon as they walk in to the room. The kitchen though? That takes all of his attention. It's not anything fancy, clearly utilitarian in nature but that works for him. He's not exactly a bells and whistles kinda guy himself.

He immediately makes his way to the cabinets to start poking through things. Sorry Ronin, you've lost him.
These conversations kill