little gods
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
the earth has music for those who listen
They're going to bury treasure.

Or was it digging up treasure that's already buried?

"Da, look!"

It's an exclamation that Mateo has uttered at least two dozen times since they arrived, and what Remi ought to look at varies between the innocuous (a small flower poking out from between the roots of a tree) to the sinister (a slithering shape in the water, wiggling off into the weeds). This time? This time, Mateo has found a feather.

He twirls it between small and chubby fingers, toddling over towards Remi, clearly not looking at where he's going given that his little feet are taking him right into the waterways. But with wild, dark curls and big blue eyes wide as dinner plates, even the water won't be able to resist his charms, right?

We'll find out.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
REMI
the lullaby

Remi is a strange mixture of overprotective and entirely willing to let Mateo learn from his mistakes. So as the bab wanders into potential danger, the alchemist watches with the lazy eye of a man who knows he's much faster than anything out there that his son might encounter.

"Mateo..." Said with the tone of one reminding another that they've forgotten something very obvious, Remi tilts his head to the side, staring pointedly at his boy. "Do you think that's a good place to be, if you don't know how to swim yet?" It's Mateo's choice whether or not he continues on, but with most of the information he needs to make an informed choice at the ready, the alchemist metaphorically sits back, awaiting to see what the tiniest Taliesin will decide to do.
Maybe it's my fault for forgetting
Who I was when I was mine.
I've come to realize this one thing:
You couldn't fix what I couldn't find

Code taken from Sky who is utter perfection
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Little feet almost instantly pivot about at the sound of his name in that tone, because when his Da is saying something with a voice like that, it usually means there's something to learn. Having twisted towards Remi, ankle deep in the muddy bank with his fluffy white feather clutched in his fingers, Mateo offers his father a smile that's all round cheeks and dimples. "It's muddy," he says, before gazing over his shoulder to see where the mud becomes water.

"Ohhhhhh. I should be..." Stomping away from the banks until the earth becomes solid beneath his (bare) feet again, Teo throws his feather into the air. "Here!" he announces. "Oh Da, look!" With his head tilted up towards the canopy of trees, the boy points as the vines overhead seem to slither and writhe, like they're alive.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
the lullaby

Patiently listening, letting Mateo make his own choices and navigate the things he comes across in his own time, it's with a warm smile that he regards the way the boy toddles back to safer ground. Well. Not safer, but sturdier, at least.

Reaching forward for the feather, Remi grabs it with one hand, before making in 'appear' in the other. All he's done is exchanged it for one of his own feathers, but it's with a look of intrigue that the alchemist hands it back toward his son. "Mmm?" Looking over his shoulder, Remi's eyes are easily able to pick out the vines from the hanging snakes, and, knowing that the small reptiles aren't liable to do anything more than slither away should Mateo provoke them, the alchemist grins. "Well, go and see." He encourages enthusiastically as he straightens.

He'll follow after Mateo, but before he does, he lets enough of a partial shift ruffle over his body that should there be anything larger hiding in the trees, hopefully it will scent him and know better than to linger.

Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Ever able to find the beautiful in the mundane, of course Mateo is enthralled by the way his father makes the feather appear to jump from hand to hand, and he spends a couple of moments trying to peel open Remi's fingers to check for more feathers or hidden trinkets. Then he's caught once again by the vines that are alive, turning and toddling away to investigate further. "They got little tongues!"

To anyone not privy to what sort of adventure the boy is on, this might seem like a very bizarre turn of events, but for Mateo, he's having the time of his life. One of the hanging snakes comes to slope around his shoulders, much to his delight, and he turns to beam at his father. "Da, a friend!"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby

Remi, with his strangest of parenting techniques, grins at Mateo and nods as he approaches, not wanting to scare away the friendly serpents that his son has found.

'Is it a friend?' The alchemist wants to know with an adoring smile. 'Perhaps it is trying to lull you into a false sense of safety before twining around your neck.' He points out. "Tell me, do you know what this species is called?" Everything is a learning moment, even these novel and bright moments where everything seems easy and safe.

Stretching out a hand for one of the small green 'vines', Remi allows the creature to coil around his wrist and then up his arm.

Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"I want to be a friend to it," Mateo says simply, as if that should be enough. He does take heed of his father's words, however, though the curious little serpent is a bit more difficult for him to manage given that he's only tiny. Even so, it hisses and pokes its forked tongue into the boy's ear, drawing out a cackle of laughter. "It's giving kisses, Da," he says.

As for what species his new friend is? Teo nods, taking a deep breath like he's trying very hard to pronounce it. "This," he announces, "is a hands-in-snake." With bright blue eyes, he smiles at Remi as if to check he's correct in his analysis. Meanwhile, the snake is trying to slither down Mateo's shirt. The boy does absolutely nothing to stop it.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby

"It might be." The alchemist agrees with a thoughtful nod. "But there are creatures who use their saliva to decompose their prey. Or maybe it's tasting you to see if you made your bed this morning."

Patiently Remi waits, and the name he offers for the creature in his care brings a wide smile to the alchemist's face despite his attempts to appear scholarly. 'A hands-in-snake.' Remi repeats as if testing to see if he's got it right. "And are hands-in-snakes native to Torchline? Or do you think this is a species brought here by other means?"

If you're wondering who in the hell speaks to a child like this, the answer should be clear: Remi. Remi absolutely speaks to children this way.

Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"But not this one?" Teo asks, half a hanging snake still wiggling out of the neck of his shirt. He doesn't sound particularly bothered about it, but that is entirely do to with the fact that his father is watching over him. There are so many things that the boy doesn't know about the world - things he would like to know, one day - but one is certain. If Mateo is with Remi, then Mateo is safe.

Doesn't mean the snake might not be testing about his bed, though, and he looks properly suspicious (an expression that furrows his brows in a way that is absolutely reminiscent of Ronin). "I made my pillows," he informs his father, gazing down only to see the snake peep its head back out of his shirt again. "I don't think so. Torchline is more sand than trees. And this is a trees hands-in-snake, isn't it Da?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby

'Do it feel like it is?' Remi wonders, head inclined softly to the side. 'If it was, your skin might feel itchy, or even numb.' He suggests with a helpful smile.

"All of them?" Remi implores with a suggestive raise of his eyebrows, looking down at the small snake as if all of Mateo's darkest secrets are about to be revealed. One of the best features of having a wildly naive child and being a demigod, was that at any moment they had absolutely no idea what you were capable of doing, or knowing.

'Well you found it in a tree, so that is a good reason to think that it's a trees-hands-in-snake." Folding his arms over his chest, the snake which had crawled up his wrist now making a steady ascent to his shoulder, Remi nods toward his son's chest. "Do you know why this snake wants to be against your skin?"

Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo thinks for a moment, as if trying to decide if his skin feels itchy or numb, before he shakes his head of curls. "No, it just feels like there's a snake on it." Because there is. Why is there, though? Now that is a question, and the boy sucks in his cheeks hard enough for them to dimple. "Is it chilly?" he wonders, turning his head to look at the snake as it tries to drape itself around his shoulders, now. "Or lonely?"

That's quite a sad thought, and he approaches Remi and the snake that is moving towards his shoulders. "Here, little hands-in-snake. Don't be lonely - there's a friend up there for you." He holds out a little arm for the snake to slither away onto his father, like that would solve everything. It's an adventure in the jungle and his Da is covered in snakes. What's not to love?
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby

Remi's smile is wide and warm as he nods his head enthusiastically. "Creatures like snakes are cold blooded. Unlike you and I, they have to consciously regulate their own body temperatures by moving to different places." Nodding to where the snake is now slinging itself around his son's shoulders, Remi continues. "It was probably too warm under your shirt. We will have to wait and see if your shoulders are the right temperature for him."

But Mateo, big of heart and lover of all things slimy and fork-tongued, is offering up the snake to him, which Remi obviously accepts. Slithering up his arm, the snake heads directly for his own head of curls. 'What do you think? Better?' It's unclear if he's speaking to the snake or to his son.

Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"Cold-blooded?" Mateo repeats, gazing up at the snake as it joins its friend on his father's shoulders and tries to slither away into his hair. "What about us? Are we hot-blooded?" he asks. He doesn't understand terms like consciously regulate, but it makes him feel smart to nod along like he knows what Remi means, and so that's exactly what he does right now.

With a wide and dimpled smile to see the hands-in-snake make itself at home, Mateo brushes off his hands on his pants and ducks his head in a nod. "Much better," he muses, mostly to himself, before toddling away again to investigate something new. "What are we collecting today, Da?" he asks. "Or is it snakes?" He wants it to be snakes.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby

"We are, yes. Sometimes we can change our body temperature through emotions, but it is something that our brains control for us." Remi confirms with a smile.

"Do you remember what I said Ludo needed from me? What we brought the sieves for?" They lay discarded down on the beach now, left there when the hands-in-snakes stole away Mateo's attention. {say}"Besides, if we collected these hands-in-tree snakes, what would we do with them? Do you think they would like it in Stormbreak very much?" Tilting his head slightly to the side, Remi makes an obvious hmmmmmmmm face, but falls silent to let Mateo puzzle it out for himself.