Man-Made Object
Isla~
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
- NATE -
Got my own monster
Nobody but me
It’s almost funny how much things have changed since the last time he’d been in this infirmary. Almost. Some saying rattles around Nate’s head, the more things change, the more they stay the same, and he tries to pretend like the only reason he’s here is to test that theory.

Tries to pretend this isn’t some kind of circular self flagellation.

Voices murmur out from Isla’s office when he strides in, half considering interrupting whatever small potatoes prient she might be with, but Nate thinks better of it. And of his attitude. By the time his fellow ascended doctor is finished, she’ll find him leaning against the wall outside her door with a corpse like stillness, his single blue eye focused on some distant nothing.
I would never call him enemy
He's the bad god I need
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

Quite how Isla has had such a busy day she isn't certain, but she's actually quietly relieved when the client leaves her office. Appearing in the doorway in her medic's attire, she's still taking off her gloves when she notices Nate. Needing no sleep and feeling no surges of adrenaline that are unasked for, it is will a peculiar stillness that both Ascended stand, nary a hair's breadth from one another.

Then, of course, the moment splinters and Isla offers her fellow doctor a warm smile. "Hello, Nate," she greets, reaching up to straighten her hair in its high ponytail. What can I do for you? Is everything..." Of course she notices the difference in his appearance, the medic stepping out of her office properly to regard him. "Would you like to come in?" she asks.

ISLA
when it's just the two of us, only the two of us, I could die
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
- NATE -
Got my own monster
Nobody but me
No, nothing is, though Nate is glad the question fizzles out before he has to voice his answer. "Isla." The smile that flickers across his face is a mockery of her warmth. "Good to see you again." Longnight already felt like a lifetime ago, somehow he expects things to have changed monumentally for everyone. "I'd love to come in."

All at once, Nate seems to be a blur of motion, a hand rising to press through his hair while the other tugs at his jacket, another one still, staticy and transparent, moving to cup Isla's back and guide them back into her office. "I was hoping you might be able to help me with something." Some rationalization, some justification. "I have a... theory, kind of, that I want to test, but I can't manage it myself." Even with the unspoken benefit of a few extra hands.
He's the bad god I need
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

"And you as well. Please-- oh!" Isla has stepped aside for her fellow doctor to step into the office, only to suddenly find Nate suddenly animated and moving - and with a lot more hands than she remembers at LongNight. "That is certainly a handy new upgrade," she remarks, smiling despite herself at the joke she has made. They enter a room that is much more illuminated than usual, for the benefit of her patient, and Isla clicks the door shut behind them and moves to sit on one of the comfortable chairs towards the fire.

"A theory?" she echoes, blue eyes lighting up. Perhaps it shouldn't send such a jolt of curious anticipation through her bones, but it is so rare to experiment these days, or to look at things with new eyes. Between the two Ascended - especially given their backgrounds - it's an opportunity she can't pass up. "Do tell me more," she invites, still watching the staticy hand that Nate seems to have acquired.

ISLA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Got my own monster
Nobody but me
"You like it?' Nate chuckles without smiling, the second false arm appearing and flexing in a show purely for his colleague's benefit. The joke hits him a moment later, that chuckle repeating, warmer and more genuine this time. Pulling away and stepping towards the plump chairs after Isla, Nate stays standing, diving right into his request while his new arms gesture for him.

"It's about how deep ascension really goes. What it changes, what becomes... vestigial. What does the heart do, if it's not pumping blood; what do my lungs do, if I don't need to breathe." He doesn't seem to notice the shift in his own words, not as his natural arm comes up to press against his chest, fingers clenching around a handful of shirt. "I need to see, just for myself. And maybe it will help, maybe if we have a better understanding of how we work, we can... help things like the Climb fever, or whatever the next plague to sweep through us." Going utterly still and letting a single blue eye focus on Isla, Nate awaits her reaction to his pitch, hopes she'll realize that all his explanation was just a long winded request to be cut open.
He's the bad god I need
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"I do," Isla says openly, her admiration more than apparent as she gazes up at Nate. She'd almost expected him to stay standing, folding her hands in her lap and settling in to listen to his request. And when it comes, well; it would be a lie to say that there is a dark little glint of something that burns in the medic's eyes, an interest that will not be quelled. "And what do you suppose we ought to do, in order to realise your theory?" she asks, rising to her feet in a swift movement to hold out a hand to Nate.

"Because I have an operating room, and I haven't used it since I got back from..." Death. Smiling up at him, Isla tilts her head suddenly, reaching up to rest a hand against his cheek. "What happened to your eye?" she asks, before stopping herself. "Don't worry about it. We can talk more while we work." While she does, indeed, cut him open, if that is really what he's asking.

ISLA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Got my own monster
Nobody but me
Reaching out to accept the offered hand, Nate lets a grin spread over his face, cutting through the note of melancholy hanging over him. "There are a few things I can think of," He begins, ideas lining up on his lips when Isla cuts straight to the chase. "An operating room, you say? What a stroke of luck."  both his staticy hands coming up to cup her face. He presses his forehead to hers in a brief touch, glad for her understanding and enthusiasm both.

Letting himself be led to whichever room she has set up, Nate lifts his free hand to brush over his face, over his dead eye. "I uh... lost it. It's fine, I'm getting it back, it's..." It's complicated, but as she said, they can talk while they work.

The important part is getting to work. No sooner do they enter the operation room than Nate wiggles out of his jacket and shirt both, though he hesitates at the waistband of his pants, glancing over to Isla. "Pants too, y'think?"
He's the bad god I need
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"Yes. It seems you approached just the right person for such a thing. How fortuitous." Isla smiles back at him, her eyes closing as their foreheads touch, as the words go unspoken between them. Needing no further encouragement, her fingers squeeze against Nate's and she leads them into the small operating room tucked away in the back of the infirmary. It's rarely used these days, with all the Ascended around, but Isla keeps it sterile and clean. A surgeon at heart, she uses the room for practice, mostly. (And autopsies, once upon a time).

Tilting her head to hear that he had lost his eye but is getting it back, understanding dawns on her face suddenly. "Ah, the Voice?" she guesses. "Say no more. I'm glad, though - I quite liked your grey eye." Reaching out, she accepts his shirt and jacket to fold them neatly and place them on a countertop behind her, gesturing to the operating table.

His question might have been awkward for some, but for two doctors? Isla gives it some honest consideration. "I suppose it depends how lengthy the incision," she says slowly. "...I think yes, though. It would be a hassle to have to get them off in the middle of surgery, right?"

ISLA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Got my own monster
Nobody but me
Understanding of his situation comes simply, a fact that Nate is more than grateful for. Though Isla’s words do raise a note of interest. ”I don’t think I actually picked the grey, last time. I think it just happened.” He wonders absently if the new new one will be the same or if he’ll be surprised with a different colour.

”Right you are, that’s why you’re the doctor isn’t it?” Nate manages a proper grin, kicking out of his pants and boots in an entirely too excited motion and handing them to Isla with a murmur of thanks. Once upon a time, the chill of the operating theatre would have had him shrinking into himself, but now he simply hops up on the table, wearing no more than a smile.

Sucking in an absolutely unnecessary breath, Nate lays back, trying to keep the insistent tendrils of panic out of his mind. ”Its been a while since I’ve seen someone’s insides.” He says, faux brightness in his voice. As long as he’s taking, he’s not thinking too hard.
He's the bad god I need
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"Oh? Maybe you can ask for a different colour. Unless you liked it as well." Isla smiles. As Nate strips off and hands her his clothes, Isla takes care to fold them with the others, before she scrubs up. Already mostly dressed for the occasion, the medic is still careful to cover her hair and face, even if it will likely make it a little less personal. "I'm not the only doctor here," she reminds Nate, arranging her tools next on a rolling tray that she moves beside her as she approaches the operating table.

"Mm, me too," she responds, equally as bright, but for Isla there is no panic - only scientific curiosity. But her bedside manner is not to be underestimated, and as she glances at nate, her blue eyes crinkle with a smile that's hidden beneath a surgical mask. "I know you can't feel it, but I will be as gentle as I can. And I am very good with sutures, so the scars should be neat and even," she says. "And if you want to stop at any point, you only have to tell me."

Providing he doesn't change his mind, Isla will flex her fingers to reveal the thin blades at their tips, reaching out to begin an incision from sternum to navel. "I'll explain everything I do as I go," she says softly, using some gauze to stem the fluid that begins to flow. "You can also tell me what happens for you, if you like? I imagine your systems are already telling you that something is wrong."

ISLA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Got my own monster
Nobody but me
Every move that Isla makes is watched after carefully, Nate appreciative of the devotion to procedure, even if it seems unnecessary. ”Actually... I never actually got my medical license back home.” So she is indeed the only doctor, going by that scale, and one of the few people he’s actually told that to. Undermining his credibility is not something Nate likes to do often.

”I’ll just imagine a gentle touch. I’ve gotten pretty good at it.” Is it a joke, or a cry for help? Is this pure scientific curiosity, or something darker? They aren’t questions Nate has answers to, so he bustles right along. Neat scars? Isla I’m not going to match anymore.” He manages to huff out a breathless laugh, his mouth stretched into something toothy and wide and a little too strained to still be called a grin.

One final breath leaves him as fingers give way to blades, some small amount of appreciation in the one blue eye. He falls utterly still as that first cut is made, swallowing dryly and resisting the urge to nod in response to the soft reassurance. ”I’ve had worse.” There is just a touch of strain in Nate’s voice, his systems indeed telling him that he’s open, that this is wrong as if he couldn’t just look down and see that for himself. But he’s calm, safe, and as comfortable as he cares to be, so it’s an easy to ignore buzz in the back of his head. ”I’m just worried for when you actually crack me open.”
He's the bad god I need
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"You didn't? Well, between you and me, I would have never guessed. You have a doctor's touch." Isla smiles to him, tilting her head before glancing back to concentrate on her incisions. "Do you suppose if I walked you through everything that I know, it would be as good as passed?" she asks. "We could start a Wren Society medical licence." It's probably quite a good idea, but perhaps would be bettwe for discussion at another time.

The medic completes the secondary cuts, preparing her tools to peel back the flesh and reveal the ribcage beneath, but Nate's remarks draw her attention back. Whilst one hand, the fingers still sharp with blades, lingers on his skin, the other reaches for Nate's to give it a gentle squeeze. "What are you worried about?" she asks, Isla's gaze still on his chest, her tone calm and warm. "If you walk me through it, I can help the two of us."

ISLA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Got my own monster
Nobody but me
”I’m good at shit once I put my mind to it, and I was focused on school.” Nate would laugh if he thought he could manage it without moving, but the edge of it still creeps into his words. ”I think that would be more than enough. And... having something here would be a good idea. Even if it’s just... general training.” It should be so much of a struggle to keep his arms still, but every time he speaks Nate finds himself having to stop, to press his hands flat against the table again.

It helps when Isla reaches down to take one, Nate not caring to look and see if it’s the hand that had been cutting into him. ”Well I’m not supposed to be open like this for starters.” Nevermind that it had been his idea, nevermind that he was fine, that screaming warning in his head was still getting to him. ”And,” this is stupid “I’ve never actually broken a bone before. I mean, my bone. Other people’s sure. I guess I’m... im afraid it’s gonna hurt.”
He's the bad god I need
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"Mm, I agree. I find that a lot of people rely on healing magic, which is great whenever there is a healer in the vicinity. But sometimes you might not find yourself so lucky." And training, even basic, can be the difference between life and death in a pinch. "Well, once we're done here and you're feeling better, drop by whenever you like. You can show me all you know, and I'll fill in the gaps." And neither of them need to sleep, so they can train almost indefinitely until Nate is happy with it.

She gives his hand a gentle squeeze as they speak, Isla nodding and completing her incisions so she might get into his chest cavity. "That's an understandable fear," she says. "I'm the same - and I'd probably feel the same way too. It's a lot more personal, like this." Leaning in, Isla unfortunately needs both hands for what comes next, but as the flesh peels back, it's with a low hum of interest that she forgets herself for a moment.

"Our bones are... it looks as though they are coated in liquid metal. It's beautiful," she admits, reaching back for gauze and the rest of her tools. She needs various materials to keep his chest open, but for now the glitter of chrome and silver is enough to catch her eye.

ISLA