connecting with the youth
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Sometimes I think it's gettin' better
And then it gets much worse
Gideon had many regular stops and visits he made throughout his weeks; the Gods were relevant to many different kinds of people, after all, and many of them wouldn't think to pray or even consider the Gods without his encouragement. A lot of them were scared, perhaps felt undeserving or too humble; he was there to guide them towards the light.

Judgement's Needle was one of his more grim-faced regular appointments. The people there were down on their luck, to say the least, often unpleasant and usually disillusioned with their Deities. Still, there were some willing to listen and pray; he came for them, to guide their faith and answer their questions. A necessary job, but one that always left him tired and a little more jaded when he left.

Leaving through the heavy doors and nodding at a guard as he passed by, Gideon rubbed at his face. It had been an especially hard conversation today, with a man whose crime had shocked even the Priest, who considered himself a very worldly person. He'd given his blessings, guided the right chants...but still found himself feeling a little empty. Pausing in his steps, seeing as how the early evening streets were mostly abandoned, Gideon let out a heavy sigh, tilting his head up to stare at the purple sky.
Is it just part of the process?
Well, Vi, it hurts
gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Nathaniel Greenhorn
Dragoon

Age: 30 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
VALVYNN - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Nathaniel wasn't really sure why he was bothering to slow his steps when he saw a man that wasn't exactly familiar come to a stop a short distance outside of Judgement's Needle, but he did. Valvynn trills softy beside him before she's taking off, practically loping towards the stranger, wings flared up behind her. Nathaniel curses softly, "Oi! Leave him be!" He calls out to the dragon who is already attempting to wrap herself around the strangers legs. Which would be no issue if she was smaller like some of the other dragons within the city limits. As it was, she was roughly the size of a German shepherd with four times the strength. He jogs up to the stranger, flashing him a grin as he tries to wrangle the overly excited dragon who is sending out puffs of icy air towards Gideon.

"She's a bit of a mess. Sorry 'bout that." Nathaniel chuckles, finally getting Valvynn from between the strangers legs. She trills and goes back to trotting circles around them as her partner straightens. "You'd think she know better by now, but she just can't seem to stay away from strangers."
NATHANIEL
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Gideon, thankfully, did hear the approach of the dragon before he felt the impact, though not by much; he still stumbled a few steps back and had to hold out his arms to stay upright. He'd always been fond of dragons though (after all, they were the companions of Accepted) and just laughed once he'd made sure was going to remain on his feet, reaching down to pat Valvynn's head.

Shouting after it was a young man that quickly corralled the dragon back. Gideon actually found that the surprise and laugh had done him good, the melancholy of before almost entirely gone from his chest; he waved a hand to dismiss the apologies. "Dragons are often overly friendly. It's a good trait." Maybe, he considered, he ought to pray for the chance to find a dragon of his own; not that Gideon was so presumptuous to think he deserved one.

"I've seen you patrolling before." He commented as he looked up to the man that had approached. "Dragoon, right? A Dragoon with a Dragon." Laughing at his own poor joke, he took a step forwards. "Would you care to walk back to the Temple with me? I could do with the company tonight."
Well, Vi, it hurts
gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Nathaniel Greenhorn
Dragoon

Age: 30 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Before Nathaniel had the chance to wrangle her back, Valyvnn wasted no time in pressing her head up into Gideon's palm, trilling and cooing up at him as icy blue eyes looked up at him. Soon enough, she was gotten under control by her handler and returned to trotting circles around both of them. Her wings flared and flapped, sending cool gusts of air around them as Nathaniel came to a stop in front of the older man. "She is definitely that, but she does well with my little brother so I don't mind it all that much. Long as she focuses when we're fighting, ya know?" Nathaniel chuckled, running a hand through white blond hair to dishevel it further.

The mention of patrol had his brows raising and then he nodded, "Yeah, that's right. You can call me Nathaniel. That's Valvynn." He replied easily, hands bracing on his hips as his chest puffed out a little bit. He's rather proud of the position he held amongst the dragoons. It was one of his greatest accomplishments. Next to the raising of his brother, of course. "Sorry I can't say I recognize you, but I see a lot of faces during a day." Nathaniel offered him an apologetic smile before he nodded in response to his question.

"Sure. I don't have much going on. Long as you don't mind the company of an overly energetic dragon." He motioned with his chin towards Valvynn who was wiggling like an overly excited dog, claws tippy tapping against the stone of the streets. Nathaniel waited for his confirmation before starting towards the path to the temple. "So do you work there? At the temple?" He asked conversationally, shoving his hands in his pockets as they start to stroll, Valvynn trotting beside them and occasionally nudging at Gideon's pocket in search of treats.
NATHANIEL
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
"How old is your brother? She's quite large." A young child could easily be bowled over by the dragon if it approached as it had towards Gideon.

He held back the amused smile that wanted to come over him as he saw Nathaniel puff out his chest with his title; the pride of youth. Gideon had once been the same, when he'd first earned his vestments and place in the Temple, before the responsibilities and everyday routine of it all had set in. Instead, he just nodded, an acknowledgement of the service Nathaniel was giving.

It was...curious, that he wasn't recognised; Gideon immediately knew he'd have to convince this man to come to the Temple more often. For someone to be so unfamiliar to not know the head Priest was quite unacceptable. Still, always one to hide when his own ego was hurt, he didn't show any outward offence. Stepping into pace beside Nathaniel, he said, as humbly as he could: "Mhm. In many ways you could say I was the Temple. Head Priest Gideon Clemments, at your service." He held out a hand to be quickly shaken as they walked. "I assume you don't come to Temple often, then."
Well, Vi, it hurts
gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Nathaniel Greenhorn
Dragoon

Change author:
Valvynn is, in fact, rather large. Larger than most. "He's eleven. Can hold his own for the most part. She's gentle with him. If not a bit energetic." Nathaniel explained, another smile curling on his lips. The dragoness even let him ride around on her back. He was small enough still that it was manageable.

It wasn't that Nathaniel wasn't a believe in the old gods. He was. He just... hadn't settled on one. Mostly because there were so many choices. Between training, taking care of his mother and brother, as well as everything else it was hard to have time. That was all it really came down to. Not having enough time. Still, he realized his mistake when the man extended his hand to introduce himself. Nathaniel took his hand, giving it a firm shake, "Uh, sometimes when I can manage it. I take Wesley as much as I can, but with everything I have going on I find it hard to get there. Know it isn't really an excuse, but..." He trailed off, shrugging his shoulders slightly as they continued to walk.

"I haven't settled on one to serve. I've been thinking about going to one of the shrines. Just seeing who might show up. Let them decide who wants me." Nathaniel explained the plan that he had thought about on multiple occasions at this point.
NATHANIEL
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
"Ah. Well, eleven year olds have plenty of their own energy." Gideon said with a chuckle; he had younger cousins and relatives that were proof of that.

He nodded patiently as Nathaniel got out his excuses, things that Gideon had heard hundreds of times; they didn't have enough time, they were scared to come in, they didn't know the Gods that well...none of them held up when you considered the importance of the Gods in a life on Caido. All it took was a five minute prayer and acknowledge a day to show your respect. "That's quite egotistical. Putting yourself before the Gods like a prize." He laughed, the statement amused but also, definitely, a scolding.

"I would recommend you pray to all the Gods, to show your respect, then if you feel a certain connection to one's values, leave an offering for them. If you are lucky, they may deign to see you." Gideon looked at Nathaniel sideways and sighed; he hadn't wanted to get into a lecture this early into the conversation. "I understand it can be intimidating. But you're old enough to start showing the proper decorum."
Well, Vi, it hurts
gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Nathaniel Greenhorn
Dragoon

Change author:
It was an easy statement to agree with and Nathaniel found himself nodding along. "They really do. Thankfully Val always seems ready to handle him. Even after full days of training." He said with a grin that quickly faded when Gideon spoke again.

The priest easily knocked him down a few pegs and he felt like he was speaking to his father. While Alexander wasn't an incredibly pious man or even overly religious, he'd always respected the gods. To hear his son speak this way would result in a similar scolding on Nathaniel's part. Instead of coming from him, it was the priest doing the work for his late father. Nathaniel grimaced, eyes dipping down, "I don't mean it like that... Just- I don't know who I would serve the best. I'd be happy to serve any of them, but.." He trailed off, pursing his lips. Surely one of them would fit him better than the rest, right?

"I do show the proper decorum... I was raised to. I take my brother and I pray." Not as much as he should, but he does. "He took a liking to Ludo." Nathaniel offered as if to say 'see, I know what it you mean'.
NATHANIEL
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Maybe Gideon should have felt guilty about giving a Dragoon quite such a dressing down, but he felt it was for Nathaniel's greater good; after all, proper respect for the Gods would only serve him well as he went on in life. More than ever now, Gideon was concerned about young people wanting to go to the Voice when they found the Gods didn't do what they wanted or expected. "Go to a shrine and tell them that, then. Ask how you can be used; a young man like yourself, able and strong? I can't see you being turned away."

Of course, he himself had had years of silence from the Gods, but that had been before the barrier fell; that, and Gideon believed they must have known he was strong enough to have that time alone.

Hearing Nathaniel speak about his brother drew a bittersweet sigh from the priest as memories of taking his own younger sibling to the shrine rose. Jonah had not taken in what he had seen and heard, Gideon could only wish the children of the current generation would. "Ludo is my personal closest God and a great being indeed. In this upcoming war against the Ascended, it will be one of our most valued leaders."
Well, Vi, it hurts
gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Nathaniel Greenhorn
Dragoon

Change author:
Nathaniel wasn't at risk of going to the Voice. He never had been. Not that Gideon was wrong about it happening. It did often, but it wasn't something Nathaniel would do. The Dragoon listened to all the Priest had to say, taking each word seriously into consideration. He pursed his lips, looking down as Valvynn trotted ahead after some birds that milled around a few paces ahead of them. They quickly scattered as the dragon closed in on them. "What if I am turned away? What if they don't have any use for me? I mean, I won't stop serving them or anything like that, but I'm not sure they really would have use for me." He admitted, shrugging his shoulders. It was stupid honestly. To be so worried about that, but he was.

"Wesley likes playing games with them." That had nothing to do with the war, but it was true. His younger brother got into mischief because of Ludo. Always saying that he was doing the heralds work when he as trying to get out of trouble.
NATHANIEL
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon had heard the concerns Nathaniel had a lot of times; everyone went through bouts of feeling insignificant, like they had no place in the larger plan. While it was true that some would have less significant roles than others, he believed that every person the Old Gods put on Caido had a purpose to fulfill. "You're young, fit and willing to fight for what they stand for. Believe me, they will have a use for you. If nothing else, you would be a fine guardian against the Ascended."

He was sure the day wasn't far off when they'd have to protect Stormbreak's gates from a barrage of the Voice's minions, and they'd need as many faithful as they could find to help hold the horde back.

"Yeah, Ludo loves a good game." Gideon smiled fondly, putting his hands in his pockets and looking at the Temple spire in the sky a ways before them. "...Sorry, to have lectured you right away, I mean. It's a stressful day working in the Needle. I forget not everyone I talk to is in such a bad place."
Well, Vi, it hurts
gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Nathaniel Greenhorn
Dragoon

Change author:
Nathaniel looked back over at Gideon as he spoke, listening to each word that came from his lips with obvious devotion in his eyes. The young man, while a bit of an ass at times, did care about serving the Old Gods and the citizens of Cadio to the best of his ability. He didn't just do this to take care of his family. He did this to make something of himself. "I'll keep that in mind... Thank you for sharing your wisdom, sir." Nathaniel finally replied with a polite dip of his head before turning his attention forward once more.

He smiled at the mention of games, "That's what Wesley says. Always getting into trouble that one." There was a clear fondness in his voice as he spoke of his brother's many different antics. Nathaniel pursed his lips, glancing over at the gentleman, "It's alright. Sounded like something my father would have said. He was always lecturing me on what was expected." Likely preparing him for what would come once he was gone. His dad had good foresight like that. He shrugged his shoulders, watching Valvynn as she trotted ahead of them, occasionally spotting a bug or something to go after while they walked. "Is this what you do then? Talk to people about the Gods and tell them what they should do in regards to them?"
NATHANIEL
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
While Gideon did try to keep in mind to be humble, it was certainly nice to be thanked for his wisdom. Smiling a perfectly serene and knowing smirk, he lightly rolled his shoulders. "It's what I do."

In actuality, the last seasons had proven that he knew much less than he'd ever thought about all of the Gods and their workings, but he wasn't about to admit that to anyone. Gideon was very happy to keep everyone believing he was the personal conduit to the Deities above as long as they would. "Your father sounds smart, then. Is he no longer with us?" He asked gently. Gideon had always had a habit of taking in those without guardians (Sera had been his main project, but there had been others over the years); already he could see guidance for Nathaniel being a regular hobby of his.

"Yes. The temple is there to provide people guidance and to give them a space to worship and quietly pray to the Gods. I run the services there and answer queries...and train the younger acolytes. There will always be spaces open, if you or your brother ever wanted to seriously learn more." He winked, not really all that serious; Nathaniel seemed well suited to his Dragoon post.
Well, Vi, it hurts
gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Nathaniel Greenhorn
Dragoon

Change author:
"Well you seem to be pretty good at it." Nathaniel said with a grin, shrugging his shoulders as if it wasn't really a big deal to say as much. The guy was a priest. They were meant to be wise, right? Only made sense that he was.

As the conversation shifted to his father he grew a touch more serious, lifting his chin at the compliment paid to him. "He isn't. He passed about fifteen years ago at this point. Got sick. We don't really know what did it. It's just me, my mom, and my kid brother now." He told him softly, a sadness settling in his blue eyes as he glanced over at the older man. "I try my best to take care of them both. Lead by example and all that. Don't know that I do that good of a job." Nathaniel pursed his lips, settling into something more quiet as he reflected on the time without his father.

"Didn't know there were services... I'll try to come by if I don't have training. Bring Wesley. Would be good for him to have an outlet. I, uh, get him lessons about once a week and fill in where I can, but it would be good for him to actually learn things proper when it came to our Gods." Was Gideon an actual teacher? Nah, probably not. Would it still be better than Wesley roaming the streets every chance he got? Yeah, it would be.
NATHANIEL