make it through the meadow
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
Azrael
do you like walking in the rain?
when you think of love, do you think of pain?
They are back in the Grounds for a little bit, checking in with Bastien as they promised they would, before they hear about those that remained and had lost everything from LongNight. And even if Azrael wasn’t part of the razing entirely, had shut down at some point throughout it from straining their systems, they still feel quite terrible. Especially when they find out that one of those most affected is Henry. Someone that had helped them immensely when it came to trying to prep.

So they’ve spent days trying to come up with the perfect gift basket, an apology of sorts from them and their bleeding heart, that when everything is finally collected, they head toward the domiciles to find the place Henry has been staying, hoping and quietly praying to the Voice that they were home. They hoist the basket up to keep it from getting rained on with the spring rains ass they reach the door, slipping inside of the (essentially) refugee home.

And upon getting directions to Henry’s spare room, Azrael finds it’s beneath a set of stairs. It intrigues them, of course, but they don’t comment on it as they reach up to knock on the door, the basket right in front of them to hopefully be the first thing Henry sees, and bright hopeful eyes to try and get some sort of friendship with the Attuned.
you can tell me what you see
i will choose what i believe
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
sacrifice what you are for what you can become
In the grand scheme of things, Henry's been laying pretty low since the end of LongNight, since he'd come back to ashes and dust. Of course he's done things, whatever he could, when he could muster the strength within himself to. Otherwise, this is where most people would find him... if any of them had the want or need to come looking. He hasn't gotten very many visitors. At any rate, it's fine.

He prefers to slump into his makeshift cot and toil with his misery, with very little appetite for much.. much else at all, really. Only a lamplight can be seen from underneath the door to show that he's there, but otherwise no voices or movements can be heard. Not until he's struggling to sit up, rather drearily waking from a nap which has made him lose his sense of time or place.

For a moment, he has to register that he's here, beneath the stairwell, in a... spare room, which in and of itself is pretty generous to call it. He groans rather loudly and reluctantly at the knock on his door as it registers, too.

With nothing but sweats on, he rises and pulls open the door as wide as it'll go, to reveal his rather humble living situation very fully to Azrael. "No, I'm not here," he grumbles as he wipes his face, blinking his eyes to let them adjust to the light. If they decide to look, they will find that there is little to no organization inside. If something was set down, that place is where it's stayed. A lot of these things are papers, actually, with messily jotted down words. Or maybe it just looks like trash.

Henry's eyes are tired as they lift up to examine who is in need of him at this hour. Well, he's still not sure what hour it is, actually. He's also not sure who this is. In his sleepy, depressed state, he can't even begin to put pieces together as well as he normally can. His brows furrow, deciding that the basket being presented couldn't be for him. Oh for Gods sakes...

"Do I... know you?"
HENRY
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Azrael
Truthfully, Azrael has all the time in the day to sit here and wait for Henry to answer the door. They don’t even think anything of it, simply remaining there with the basket in hand until a familiar face opens the door, swinging it wide open and a statement saying that he’s not there, which certainly draws some sort of confusion from the demigod. “But you’re right there, Henry.” They say, offering a gentle smile, as if perhaps the Attuned hadn’t realized it?

Maybe it had been a joke. Welp, regardless, they’re already moving to press the basket toward Henry as the question is aired and their brows raise in a small amount of confusion. “Oh. I'm Azrael. I’m fully grown now.” They remember the last time Henry had seen them and it was when they were still somewhat of a teenager, a pre-teen as it were. Now? Now they had made it to their final stage in their growth, tall enough to handle the windows if they ever needed to do it again.

You helped with the LongNight preparations and I wanted to say thank you.” They say, tentatively, before continuing. “And I heard… What happened so I also wanted to say I’m sorry.” They lift the basket a bit and offer a small apologetic smile.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Henry doesn't respond right away to the way this kid's stated the obvious, a little dumbfounded as to how the very clear sarcasm was lost on them. "Yeah and how unfortunate is that," he mutters under his breath, though there's a significant lack of feeling in the words.

The basket is prompted towards him but he doesn't reach out to take it. Instead, Azrael introduces themself to him for a second time and his eyes flicker back up. His gaze hones in on this person's face, searching, finding familiarity there that he hadn't moments ago. Realization dawns on him, but it only lasts a second before that dejected look returns. "'Fully grown now'. Just like that, huh?" He asks very flatly, and already he feels guilty for being such an ass.

Azrael is here not just to give him the gift of pity and sympathy, but to thank him, and it would be a lie if he tried to say it didn't tug at his heartstrings a little. Henry inhales a long breath, shuts his eyes, and leans back from the doorway. Upon opening them, he gestures for Azrael to come in. "Come on... it's not pretty but at least it's out of the chill," he says, tones much less disgruntled now.

The basket, he'll take now, holding it in a gentle grasp as he looks down at it. "The barracks burned and fell apart anyway, so I don't know what there is to be thankful for," he offers on a rather dark note, giving a hard stare to the gift rather than Azrael, "You really didn't have to... bring me this."

He sets it on his cot, intending to leave it there unopened. But he's admittedly curious, eyeing it, inching over to peek at the contents. "What's in it, anyway?"
HENRY
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael
Azrael hears the muttering but they don’t think too much about it. After all, it could be worse. Henry’s been through a lot and Azrael wouldn’t ever hold it against him for the things they say when faced with it. He doesn’t take the basket, though, and Azrael’s left holding it out a bit awkwardly. “Yes.” They say, flashing a small smile. “Growth spurts, I think is what papa called them.

But then Henry is allowing them in and they take the invitation easily, thinking nothing of the space offered as they nod and tuck the basket in close to them as they pass by Henry into the room he’s staying in before they offer the basket back to him. “Thank you.” They offer, deciding against mentioning that they don’t feel the cold.

Seems like a moot point.

The basket is handed off and Azrael folds their hands behind their back, watching as Henry looks down into the basket. “I wanted to. And… Even if the Barracks fell, it would have done it sooner if it weren’t for your help.” The smile that spreads across their face is genuine and soft. “I… Heard about what happened so I wanted to just… Let you know that people care about you.” This is said a touch awkwardly, their hands rubbing together behind their back.

I’ve never… Needed to eat or anything so I had to ask around but a lot of people helped! There’s some canned beans, bread, clothes, blankets.” Their shoulders rise and fall in a shrug.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
If Henry were in better spirits, he might smile in return at Azrael's confirmation that they are simply 'growth spurts', might have made a joke about his never being anything quite like that. But instead he absorbs the amusement directed toward him, not to return it so easily now. He's still sorry for it, pressing his brows together and offering an apologetic expression as he lets Azrael in through the door.

It's a bit cramped within, but there is a chair - a single chair - beside a small writing desk. Henry motions toward it with a slow-moving hand, nothing lively about his movements. But he tries to be encouraging and polite to his guest, as he was always taught to be by his mother. "Please.. have a seat," he says, "I hope you don't mind the mess..." he points a stare towards the papers spread across the desktop, where he's spent hours writing down thoughts.

It's a mixture of diary-like entries, streams of consciousness, and... most notably, poetry - if Azrael is the type to take a curious gander. Henry doesn't particularly care either way; if anything he's a bit self-conscious about it but there's nothing to be done. The company was unexpected.

What Azrael says about his help doesn't go unheard; quite the opposite, he feels a lighter pulse of his heart at the sentiment. His expression softens, even if it's directed at the basket, but for the moment he doesn't say anything to it.

He places the basket down on his cot and takes a seat beside it, slowly looking through as Azrael explains what's in it. "Beans, huh?" He echoes, scoffing slightly, "it's... uhm, it's more than enough." He looks up towards Azrael, earnesty ringing strong in his tones, "Thank you."

As for the elephant in the room, Henry heaves yet another sigh and looks down. "What happened to my family was terrible," he wipes his hand across his mouth, even though there is nothing there to wipe (he probably hasn't even eaten a decent meal in a while), "but they're not the first to go in Longnight." He peers up towards Azrael, remembering their mother.

Silence takes its hold, at least for Henry, but something that's been troubling him manages to come to the surface. "I'm trying to carry on in spite of it, but I just... I don't know what to do with... the land, anymore. It's all ash and dust, and I don't know if I'll be able to rebuild the farm. And even if I am, I don't know if I'll be enough to manage it..."

"I don't know what I'm doing anymore."
HENRY
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael
The offer to sit is taken, a smile of gratitude given to Henry – even if they could stand for hours on end without growing exhausted from it, the idea of it was nice. It made them feel normal, like being back home with Bastien who had once been human before Ascending. Some of those habits have rubbed off on Azrael, but without the history of them being fully traditional human, there was little that they were nostalgic for.

I don’t mind.” They assure Henry with a smile, casting a glance quickly to the papers strewn about. A few things catch their eye but they don’t want to intrude, so they simply keep it all to themselves, something that they might bring up one day later. One day when emotions were better for Henry.

But the basket draws the attention, thankfully, and they can’t help but to watch Henry’s face for his reaction, their eyes bright and vibrant. “You’re welcome.” They say softly, drawing silent once Henry trudges on about his family, a sorrowful smile crossing their face in part of understanding. “My mother, too.” They agree, as if they were reading Henry’s mind.

But Azrael had the benefit of not really remembering their mother and Bastien had spent the entirety of their upbringing reminding them of her, of how much she loved them, of how proud she would have been of them and their endeavors. So when Henry begins to trudge onward about the overwhelming amount of things for him to do, Azrael is a patient listener. “I’ve found… That when I’m going to build something and it’s something really, really big, that it helps to sort of write out all the things I want to do into a list. And then I can check them off. It makes it less overwhelming.” Truly, they’re just trying to help.

Would it be possible to get an idea of the land, of what it might be to rebuild it and what all you would need to manage it? There are people who might be willing to help you manage it if you wanted to keep it.” They pause, flashing another small fanged smile to Henry. “I could help you rebuild it?
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry's attention sharpens as Azrael seems to have actual advice for him, rather than to simply be a target for his vents and vexations. It's... good. He prefers it this way. Productive conversation, not... furrowing deeper into his own regret and depression. So he gives in to the discussion Azrael prompts, in spite of his first instinct being otherwise.

"My mother was the organizer..." he comments at first, gaze drifting away thoughtfully. "I wish there was something of hers I could've salvaged. Notes, plans... I'm sure she had plenty." It drives a deeper hole in his heart, but the pain somehow feels lessened as he talks about it. "I will have to gather enough wood and stone, materials for rebuilding. Then I'll have to plot out how I want to build them. Blueprints, I think they're called?" He'd always been handed the hammer, the nails; the tools to build upon others' ideas, but never the means to construct those plans himself. He'd never wanted to.

His gaze flashes back up to spot Azrael's teeth as he smiles. "You would do that?" He asks, startled by the extension of kindness. Perhaps he shouldn't be. Perhaps he should think of it as Azrael owing him one, but he doesn't. What he had done to help the Hollowed Grounds had been.. out of duty, not to be owed anything. Still, he had lost much in return, it seems. "I know the land well... but if you want, I can take you there to see it. It's.. it was right outside of the settlements. Lots of pasture... some of it might be able to sustain crops, but... only once it's recovered from the fires."
HENRY
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael
They’re willing to do whatever it takes to help distract Henry, to try and make it easier for him. Luckily, their offer for advice has some amount of distraction within it instead of attack and venom, and they’re pretty sure that’s some sort of comfort. “Is there nothing… Salvageable?” They ask quietly, a small frown crossing their face briefly as they consider it. They could try and help Henry look but they wouldn’t be able to turn back time to get those thoughts back.

Blueprints, yes!” Azrael chimes with a slightly brighter smile, their hands clasping together in a very distinct Bastien move, before their gaze continues to linger on Henry when the offer of helping is aired. Their head dips in agreement, the curls around their head bouncing with the movement. “I would. I plan on fixing the Ruins too at some point. Helping you with your farm is more important.” They offer with a decisive nod. Farm first, ruins later.

I would love to see it, if you don’t mind! I can help draw up the blueprints too so you have something to go off of and have it be exactly what you’re looking for?” They cock their head a fraction, letting that softer edged smile cross their face. Truthfully, they’re willing to do anything to help Henry with what’s happened because if anyone understood what it was like to lose family over LongNight, Azrael was a great example of it.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry shakes his head with a dismissive amount of vexation. "No, nothing," he sighs, "it's all ash and dust. The ground will have to be cleared of debris, tilled, and..." he brings his fingers up to rub at the bridge of his nose, trailing off. It's a lot on his shoulders now. "And even then, it might be that nothing grows back." But this doesn't seem to entirely deter him from trying, because there have been gears at work in the back of his mind lately. But he doesn't speak on them, glancing at Azrael warily.

Azrael assures him that they'd help and, at first, he's speechless. "It is important..." he agrees reflectively, "my family kept a lot of people fed. Without resources like that, I'm worried that no one but the Ascended will want to live here." He starts, suddenly, "Not that I don't want the Ascended here. I do, I just..." he relaxes and shifts back a bit, "I want this to be a place for everyone, so long as they're good people. A lot of Grounders have left since the dome was taken down, and more plan to. I did, too, until... this happened."

Henry stands up and collects a long-sleeved shirt from a pile of laundry, though whether it's clean or dirty is up for debate. As he buttons it up, he considers Azrael for a moment. "We can walk there now to look, if you want," he offers, though he's pretty set on it and if Azrael doesn't want to come, "Well... I'm going to, so if you want to come along..."
HENRY
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael
The frown that crosses their face with the understanding that everything was gone, is quite expressive. They don’t need to breathe, nor do they feel the need to offer a quiet sigh in understanding, so all they can do is twist their hands together in front of them, fiddling a bit. “If we need to bring in extra soil or nutrients from somewhere else, I’m sure we can do that…” They consider with a pinch of their brows. They don’t know how farming works, they only know how to build things, how to craft and create, not how to nurture and grow.

And as Henry continues on, Azrael perks up a bit, a nod granted to the Attuned before he’s seeming to backpedal and Azrael flashes a bright, fanged smile. “It’s okay, Henry. I understand.” And there’s nothing in their gaze that seems to suggest otherwise. They do understand. Entirely. “That’s why I want to rebuild the Grounds. I want to give people homes so that way they can come stay too, not just the Ascended. But everyone.” They dip their head in a decisive nod, an agreement that it’s exactly what they had planned from the start.

Besides, life was more fun when there were others than just your Family around, wasn’t it?

As Henry stands, Azrael does too, their arms folding behind them as their gaze flickers to the door before landing back on Henry with an excited nod of their head. “I would love to!” It’s a bright chime, and they’re quick to follow Henry the second he steps out the door and heads toward the remains of the farm.
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Azrael's helpfulness doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated and Henry has to nod in consideration of the idea of bringing in different soil. It could work, and he's willing to try anything if it means giving himself a leg up. Gods know he'll need it.

Relief pours into his gaze and his expression softens when Azrael reflects his own sentiments, and he's glad for that. He really is. At least there is someone else that wants that too, it gives him more of a hope that there are others in the Grounds that agree. Ascended or otherwise. It would be beneficial, of course. It's just a matter of finding a way to draw people back. "Maybe, if the monsters really are gone, more people will want to live here again," he says with a small measure of optimism in his voice.

The enthusiasm behind Azrael's agreement is met with a soft chuckle. He offers a kinder smile to them before he gathers up his boots, left off to one corner of the small room. He holds the door open for Azrael and proceeds to show him the way. Though the weight upon his shoulders still feels heavy, it's lessened knowing that he isn't alone after all.

"Thank you, Azrael. You're... a good person, better than most I've met."

FIN!
HENRY