nothing’s safe these days
Nikolai Ascension!
Varus Callahan
Assassin / Hollowed Grounds Captain

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
fight, because you don't know how to die quietly
Once the kid is beside him, Varus latches onto one side of the section, on a protruding handle before nodding with his head for Nikolai to do the same, and when they pull it back it’ll reveal that inner shrine with dusty offerings and that sphere of the shrine that Varus is quite familiar with. And that’s when he steps back, reaching out for Nikolai to stick him in dead center.

Hey Voice.” He rumbles with a touch of affection for his goddess. “It’s been a while. Got someone here for you, looking to Ascend.” A bright fanged smile is shot at the shrine, before it fades as he looks to Nikolai, head nodding as if to silently tell Nikolai to go ahead and introduce himself as well as what it was he sought.

And Varus remains stepped back, keeping his gaze on the shrine for a glimpse of his goddess, awaiting her with quiet regard for when she hopefully shows, sticking his one hand in his pocket.
VARUS
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:

"We are only haunted by the things we refuse to accept"
- Bridgett Devoue

Nikolai let out a small sigh, grounding himself. He'd visited shrines before but never to ask for something such as this. It was daunting. But this was what he wanted.

Steeling himself, Nikolai addressed the inner shrine, his voice clear and confident. "Hello Voice. I'm Nikolai Moriya. I'm hoping that you'll grant me the privilege of Ascension."  Once he began speaking however, some of his rage at what drove him here crept into his tone. "I'm tired of the Old God's complacency and hypocrisy. I wish to cut myself from them completely and begin anew." Going with his instincts, he bowed his head in respect, his eyes closed.  I ask that you let me Ascend so that I may join your ranks."

Having said his piece, however brief, Nikolai remained standing as he was, hardly moving  a muscle as he waited with bated breath. Inside he was nervous but hopeful as he waited for a response from the Voice.

nikolai

"Resilience is born even when we feel like we are dying"
- Alex Elle

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
the stories i could tell
"We are more than ranks, Nikolai Moriya. We are a family."

She does not often show herself completely in this shrine. It is small, intimate, used for whispers and stories. And so rather than seeing the Voice, the Accepted and Ascended will rather feel her presence instead. It's like a cool, sweet breath of air, the smell of a storm on the way, and the sphere at the centre of the shrine crackles and swims with something ever so slightly other.

"The first time we meet since you went offline, Varus, and it is to bring a new brother to us. You are quite something," she says affectionately, before all attention seems to zero in on Nikolai. "You come willing - understanding what it is you will lose, and what you will gain?" she asks. "If this is true, we welcome you, bright one. Step forward - this will hurt, but only very briefly. And then you will be liberated from the shackles of these Old Gods."
Varus Callahan
Assassin / Hollowed Grounds Captain

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
fight, because you don't know how to die quietly
Her presence has always been a balm to Varus, even after all this time. And the Ascended visibly relaxes with the words that air around them. If he were attuned with feather’s, the Ascended would be preening. “I had meant to come earlier.” He pauses, before he dips his head silently, as if he’s announcing that he’ll be a bystander until it’s over. After all, this wasn’t his visit, this was for Nikolai to Ascend.

Varus would simply sit back and wait, show Nikolai the ropes when it was over should the boy want that. And so for now? He steps back into the shadows, off to the side, his one arm tucked into his pocket as he leans against the bookshelf.

Varus is gonna sit back and wait it out for Nikolai to Ascend! <3
VARUS
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

- Bridgett Devoue

The change in the air almost catches Nikolai by surprise. He had been expecting the Voice to appear in some manner, but nothing could have prepared the young man for the fell of the Goddess' actual presence. Tense muscles relaxed but at the same time, something in him stirred. An excitement for what was to come. Her words though soothed something he hadn't even begun to recognize was broken. A family? Glimpses of his enraged father and desperate mother passed through his mind and Nikolai's resolve strengthened. Yes. A new family was exactly what they needed.  Although it was a bit difficult to imagine a deity seeing people as her family, the easy banter between the Voice and Varus seemed to support the claim.

Taking one last deep breath, he raised his head to stare directly at the shrine. "I am aware. I am willing and ready. Please Ascend me." He then paused before adding. "And when my mother soon comes to ask the same, please assure her that I fully support her choice."

nikolai

- Alex Elle

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
the stories i could tell
Varus will feel the sensation as if someone has nodded to him, which is strange in itself, but it is nothing compared to what Nikolai is about to experience. "Consider it done," the Voice assures him, both of his impending Ascension and his request for his mother. The shrine continues to pulse and spark, and as he gazes upon it, the sphere inside seems to hum with power, with light. Indeed, it's a crack of electricity that lances out at Nikolai, striking him in the forehead.

And it's done.

It might only be a second, but for the new Ascended before them, the process will seem dizzying and electrifying, as if it has taken minutes or even hours. Pain at first, as he was cautioned, and then nothing, as he was promised. Fluid replaces blood, organs are morphed and changed and made stronger, more efficient. Nikolai will feel the press of fangs against his lips, and the world will seem so much sharper, so much brighter somehow.

"Welcome, bright one," the Voice says, sounding ethereal and beatific now in the cozy shrine. "You walk among family now."

Nikolai has become an Ascended!
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:

- Bridgett Devoue

Nikolai nodded his thanks just as the lightning struck out towards him. It took all of his willpower not to flinch and he was proud for his control. At least for a moment, until the pain overwhelmed everything else. But as it passed, Nikolai suddenly felt more awake then he'd ever been. Running a tongue over his new fangs in contemplation, he felt something within him settle. It was a bizarre contradiction. A soothing calm and an invigorating renewal.  Deeply piercing satisfaction and empowerment.

Welcome, bright one. Bright, yes. That was a good way to describe it. Nikolai nodded his head n respect towards the Voice. "Thank you." His tone was warm, his gratitude genuine. The new Ascended was ready to face the world with new eyes.

{FIN}

nikolai

- Alex Elle