take a bow for the decisions we made
for Wessex
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
BASTIEN

Bastien did not have a lot of 'official' outfits to hand, but he wanted to look smart for this discussion with Wessex. While he'd always had a bit of an anti-authority air about him, he knew leadership of the Grounds was important and looking like he respected the position he was talking about taking would go a long way. In simple black pants and a nearly plain blue shirt (a little embroidery around the cuffs, but who could begrudge that?) he walked up to the Theskrya house.

Gods, he wished he could talk to Rexanna; though if Rexanna was there, he wouldn't have dreamed of taking on this role himself.

Knocking, he waited for Wessex, trying to prepare himself but not really knowing what was coming, how Wessex would find it suitable to test his abilities or ascertain if he was right for her descendant. All he could do was be himself and let his usual charisma and kindness take over, he supposed.
Still my heart is heavy
With the hate of some other man's beliefs
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
you wouldn't even recognize me anymore
not that you knew me back then
He isn’t the only one who wishes he could talk to Rexanna; their reasons might differ at their core, but the Wraith would kill for some advice right now - on Bastien, on the Grounds, on diplomacy. Anything and everything. That she’s gone, and that Amun is gone too, is no small wound.

She answers Bastien’s knock fairly quickly, opening the door wide and inviting him inside with a sweep of her arm. The house is dark this time of night, with Daphne gone home for the evening and Wessex not one to need much in the sense of light, but the smaller sitting room has a couple of lamps lit - because she still thinks it would be odd to have an entire conversation like this in the dark.

“For the record, I’m not asking you to prove yourself in any way,” she says as she settles gracefully in a chair. “I don’t know how you think or where your head’s at regarding the future.”

And the future is a very big, very ambiguous term.
but it all comes back to me in the end
WESSEX
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN

Bastien didn't notice the light or lack thereof; he often had to be reminded that those without the Voice's gifts couldn't paint by just a few aesthetically pleasing candles. In fact, there were many elements of Ascended life he'd grown very used to and thankful of; being able to stay working all night or knowing any injury could be upgraded away...people wondered why a hedonist would take on the Voice, but Bastien had never regretted it.

He sat down too, smiling at the first thing Wessex had to say. "Well, that's probably for the best. In most of the ways you are skilled, I am not." And vice versa, but that wasn't really the point. There was no doubt Bastien would be a very different kind of leader from Wessex; a new approach, one he wasn't even sure of yet.

"I will be honest with you. I do not yearn for this position. But, right now...I believe I am the one who should take it on my shoulders. Whatever the future holds, and none of us can know...I believe I will be able to keep the people of the Grounds safe. I'm not a general or a tactician, but I am a smart man - I hope you will permit me that -" He glanced over for a moment, pausing. "-and I know how to speak to those opposed to me. I am not too proud to retreat if we have to, to help the Ascended disappear if we have to until we can make a better plan. I would obviously consult the Voice as well, about what I do."

He looked out of the window, put his chin in his palm. "I can see the Grounds as something new, somewhere reborn; a place to show the glory of the Voice and her goals. Beauty has a significant effect on people. If we can display a competency equal to those outside of the Grounds here, we can began to prove our legitimacy among the world we have found ourselves bonded to." These were all things he'd been thinking for a long time, just not from the perspective of being the one to lead them; Bastien stopped there to see what Wessex would have to say.
Still my heart is heavy
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Settling in to listen, Wessex remains quiet throughout, impassive but not unkind in her neutrality, thoughts rising in the flicker of her gaze or a twitch of her mouth, but nothing so obvious as to give approval or disapproval.

“Well,” she says finally, leaning forward a bit, elbows on arm rests. “Have you thought about a co-leader? If you feel duty bound, why not make it a dual effort and share the load?” And to be honest, as she says it, it doesn’t sound like such a bad remedy for the current situation. But that is an idea she can revisit -

Because they have the similar goals for the Grounds. She nods. “Beauty and health. I want nothing more than for the fields to be fertile again and for everyone to live here in peace, but it’ss hard to improve when everyone with the power to make it better keeps leaving. But there are some who remain, like Henry and Cameron, and I think it’s important to have non-Ascended living here too.” She also thinks that many of their kin could use a swift kick in the ass to be more active in the community - but that’s not what they’re talking about.

“And what do you think of the threat of war?”
WESSEX
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN

A duel leadership was certainly not something Bastien was opposed to; he nodded but there was the immediate obvious question to ask: "Who would you suggest as my partner? You said you wanted to go and explore the world, embark on your own adventure, so I assume it would not be yourself?" Honestly, there weren't many people other than Wessex he could see himself respecting as an equal leader, but he was open to hearing ideas.

People did keep leaving, but he couldn't really blame them; the Grounds had a tendency to be hard and unforgiving (though possibly less so, with the Longnight monsters gone) and didn't have the grand vistas of Halo or the warm beaches of Torchline. Bastien had always thrived in places of hardship, but not everyone was the same. He hoped that if he did the work he planned to, improved the grounds, that the citizens would come naturally as a consequence. "Yes. I do not intend to ever cast anyone out on basis of their race; it is actions that matter."

As for war...Bastien sighed, turning to look off into the room and rubbing around his jaw for a moment. "Honestly? I don't know. I certainly do not relish the possibility. I think a war would be foolish and a barbaric way to work out our differences...yet I think it is what the Gods might push us to, yes, even the Voice - and I don't know if most of us are in a position to refuse. It is not a honourable or necessary conflict." That didn't mean it wouldn't happen, though. "I am not a general. But if it did come to that...I'd do what I could. What I felt was best at the time."
Still my heart is heavy
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Who, indeed?

Running through a mental checklist of their kin, Wessex lights on a couple of names, all faint possibilities in her mind, but none that scream out to her (though perhaps they should). “Nate or Isla?” Counting their names on her pinky and ring finger, she glances up at the ceiling, weighing the options. “Nate’s a demigod now, he’ll be getting stronger soon. Though I worry about his ability to keep secrets from Sunjata if necessary. Isla seems very competent, but I know little of her and - well, who’s to say either of them would want it. I could stay on, I suppose, forego the other stuff…”

Turning her gaze back to her hands, she worries them together, fixating on the length of her index finger and listening to Bastien talk about the war. He doesn’t seem to get it yet.

“A war is coming,” she says quietly. “Stupid or barbaric though it may be, and I agree, calling it that won’t stop it. The Order wants us dead. The Heralds and the Old Gods want the Voice gone, and the Voice is… too ambitious to step down. And terribly smart and clever. Clever enough to win? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not privy to that. But I do know that demigods are moving, lines are being drawn and it’s too dangerous to keep saying if and might.
WESSEX
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN

"I doubt Nate will want to leave his beach paradise. Isla, though...she has a good head on her shoulders." Bastien nodded; he'd liked the woman the times he'd met her, though he hadn't been assessing her for suitability as a leader. "Do you think she has any desire to do this kind of work?"

As for working with Wessex...he didn't say anything, but Bastien privately felt a partnership between the two of them might be something of a disaster. Besides, the whole reason he was standing up for the position was because Wessex wanted to leave and explore.

Her cold, quiet certainty about the war chilled him more than anything else he'd heard of it, because he realised she was right. Everything else he'd been able to chalk up to pessimism or a desire for conflict, people projecting their own fears or prejudices onto the world...but Wessex was smart and observant and something about the calm confidence she spoke with sent a shiver down Bastien's spine. "...Then I will change my promise. When the war comes, I will never abandon the people here. I will do my best for them." The words felt foreign in his lax artists mouth but Bastien meant them, his eyes meeting Wessex's.
Still my heart is heavy
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
He’s probably right about Nate. Even with Sunjata being Safrin’s fuckboy, it might be difficult to pull Nate away, and she has to nod in agreement. “Some days I don’t blame him,” the bitter chuckle is quickly swallowed when they turn to Isla and she has to shrug. “Well. The only way is to find out. We can go ask her together - or you - or me.” All the options. Only one answer, and Wessex isn’t sure which one would be best.

But it does appear that she’s made some impact and though it isn’t a thing to be glad about, there is some satisfaction in seeing that Bastien believes her. Meeting his gaze, she nods solemnly. “Neither will I.” Tilting her head for a moment, she dashes quickly on to another question. “How is your relationship with Sunjata? And do you know Morgan at all?” ha ha ha

Not that he needs an existing relationship with either person, she's just curious.
WESSEX
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN

"I can ask her. She's been coming to the sanctuary for drawing lessons." Usually, Bastien would have thrown in some joking comment about how he was naked for these sessions, but the serious nature of the conversation and the mentions of war had for once beaten the merriment out of the artist. Here perhaps was a glimpse of who he'd be as a leader, the heavy weight of responsibility replacing his smile with a thoughtful stare and sigh.

As for Sunjata and Morgan...he paused and thought on it. Unfortunately with the Warden the answer was easy to come to as he'd never even seen her (lol). "I do not know the Warden of Halo. Of course, I would love to meet her...I've heard she is a capable woman." Hopefully, she'd be on their side; they needed at least someone that would vouch for the Ascended. "..Do you know of her opinion on this war?"

That said, he could be confident Sunjata would. "I would call Sunjata a friend. As he is married to Nate...I would hope he would be inclined to help us."
Still my heart is heavy
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Okay,” readily agreeing, Wessex has no qualms with Bastien taking something like that off her plate. If they were to lead together, they ought to have a heart-to-heart, perhaps without her interference or influence over the matter.

As for Morgan, the Queen can at least answer in the affirmative to her capabilities. “She is, and for now is a friend to the Ascended. She came to help us at LongNight and… seems to have some kind of significant relationship with Neron." That much had been discernible during their time staying at her house during Deepfrost, but the Wraith chose not to pry and would continue to let the pair maintain their privacy. Ish. She can’t help the wry smile that surfaces at the last remark, but there’s little more.

“I’d hope so too -” here she lingers, her own experiences with lack of help lately boldly highlighted in the front of her mind, “however, Sunjata’s ties to Safrin are more than a little concerning. At least to me. But I could be overreacting.” Shrugging, it’s more of a throwaway comment, as Wessex is pretty sure she isn’t overreacting and there is much to be worried about now that the Flood has fathered a child by the starlit herald.
WESSEX
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN

Bastien couldn't help but lean in a little for what sounded like gossip. Potential future leader or not, he still liked to hear about who was dating who; though here it would be foolish not to note the political implications as well. Unfortunately, having Ascended friends clearly wasn't enough to make people choose their side (Ronin's betrayal stung) but perhaps lovers were a different story.

"Hm. I wonder which he would consider more pressing - his connection to Safrin, or to Nate? He must be split between two minds. Perhaps we should be proactive in speaking to him, in an attempt to have him come down on our side if he must choose." He'd failed with one of his friends, but Bastien had to stay optimistic and believe he could change other minds, that they could solve something of this with civilised conversation and not violence.

Laying one hand over the other, he tried to think when he could plan a trip to Torchline, when he would have the time to do any of this. How much time they had before it all blew up. "Do you know, if you did leave and pass this on to me, when you would intend for this exchange to happen?"
Still my heart is heavy
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Bastien's gossip is Wessex's important iNfOrMaTiOn for the next leader to have.

“Well… he fucked Safrin and now has a daughter from her, so I’m not sure where anyone stands on definitives right now, other than Nate is a demigod now so the whole family is just…” Fucked. Weird. Bizarre. Choose an adjective, it probably fits.

“It’s worth a try, talking. Safrin has tied him tightly to her. You probably know better than me what it feels like to be a parent. So that’s why I don’t think we can count on him and it wouldn’t be smart to continue to rely on him.” And it is a big loss - not just for her, as a friend, but also for the Ascended side. Even with headway made in friendships elsewhere, how do you say no when a goddess and mother of your child tells you to do something?

At least they’re moving on to logistics now. “Ideally after we finish the Quest from the Voice. I don’t feel comfortable with a public change before then. And as I said, I’d like to stay on as an advisor and General.” Because there are certain things she can do as a demigod and certain information she can get, that Bastien will not necessarily have access to.  

But there is much that can happen before then.
WESSEX
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN

"He-? Oh." Bastien widened his eyes, clearly not having been aware of Sunjata's exact ties to Safrin. That certainly was a complicated situation, an Ascended Demi-God for a husband and an Old God as the mother to his child; how on earth did he manage it? Bastien had struggled to keep Safrin's approval, and he had been in nowhere near that level of mess. "How did he...do that?"

He tilted his head from side to side when it came to Sunjata; he didn't want to give up on a friend just yet. "Let me speak to him. He is very in love with his Nate, I believe, and love can be a powerful motivator." Now, it did not escape Bastien that it was possible Sunjata loved Safrin, whom he had apparently had a child with - he had to hope that she had not impressed so much as Nate.

The timeline she suggested gave him some time to adjust and consider; he nodded. "Alright. Then...I suppose all I await is your approval. I am willing to take on the task if it is given to me."
Still my heart is heavy
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“I… don’t know,” Wessex admits, and quite frankly she doesn’t care beyond the obviously manipulative part of the act. “Maybe Safrin’s overwhelming fertility is just too much to resist and he fell into her.” That’s how the modern-day excuse for cheating, isn’t it? It’s Safrin’s power move, because physically birthing children is the one thing the Voice can’t do.

And she has, with that news, mostly written Sunjata off, but if Bastien wants to try his luck, he is more than welcome to. Nodding in approval, she can only issue one more small warning. “I hope I’m wrong, just… be careful what you trust him with. And let me know what Isla says, will you?” She has her fingers crossed that the medic can see the need for someone like her alongside Bastien, but hasn’t made her mind up either way. A little flexibility is key here.

“The sooner we can get that quest done, the better. If you have any ideas on how to lure an Order member to us, I’m all ears.”
WESSEX