done and done
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
awareness is the enemy of sanity
Finn's report is finished. It's one of his best, by far - factual, detailed and cross-referenced, giving profiles of all parties involved, all people of note, all information exchanged. It contains his conclusions drawn, both as an unbiased observer and in his professional opinion, of the state of Torchline and its likelihood towards stepping across the line towards officially opposing the Ascended. The conclusion? So long as Sunjata is in power, Torchline will side with Safrin.

Whether he remains in power for much longer, and whether his Ascended husband might make things complicated? All factors that Finn, unfortunately, cannot foresee. The Spyglass is not a crystal ball, regrettably.

And so he leaves the medical clinic, still dressed in the shapeless scrubs which are still better than the silks he'd been wearing previously, still with his travelling bag over his shoulder, the report contained in an innocuous grey folder. The snapdragon is just about leaving his system, but his pupils are still blown for now, and his footsteps are quiet and quick and focused as he heads up to the Office of the Eye.

When he arrives, it's with a curt knock at the door and dead eyes, knowing that there is only this one last thing to do before he can embrace the silence of medicated slumber.
for once you hear the screaming
it never stops
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Age: 40 | Height: 5' 9 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: / - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 19 - Int: 2
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
CIAN
the eye
'Come—'

It begins as it always does, with Cian's voice ringing out. This time though, when Finn opens the door, he'll not find the Eye seated at his desk. He'll not even find him standing at the hearth where a fire crackles merrily.

'Ah, Finn.' Cian doesn't sound surprised of course; behind the Spyglass, the heavy door will close, revealing the Eye who had been surveying one of the shelves immediately to the left of the door. Straightening, the Eye doesn't bother to ask about the grey folder Finn holds, but instead extends his hand to shake Finn's.

Or at least that's what it looks like.
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
"Cian." It's half a greeting and half an attempt to hide the fact that he's startled, though by the way he turns sharply at the sound of the door shutting and the sudden proximity of the Eye, it's all too obvious. He gazes down at the offered hand as if wondering what it's for - because it isn't for shaking, of that Finn is certain. Perhaps in Deepfrost there was a sliver of a chance, but now?

Finn politely holds out the folder in return. "If you would like to read through it now, I am available to stay and answer queries regarding it," he explains, directing his statements to Cian's feet. "But if you would rather look at another time, you could send any follow up questions to my office and I will pick them up as best I can."
it never stops
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Age: 40 | Height: 5' 9 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
CIAN
the eye
'Now Finn. Let's not let our last meeting tarnish what you've just accomplished." Cian does not take the folder, but nor does he seem at all ruffled that Finn has rebuked his handshake.

"Come." Inclining his head over his shoulder, Cian strolls toward the fireplace. "You accused me once of not taking care of my tools." The Eye muses conversationally. "And perhaps you were not wrong." Pouring himself a healthy drink of something dark and earthen-scented, Cian looks over his shoulder toward Finn, before glancing back at the bar cart. A cask of deep red wine, not unlike that which the Spyglass had drunk daily in the Halenani, has been aerating.

'Tools require different cleaning and care. Some need to be oiled. Some need to be taken apart and meticulously cleaned..." He shrugs. "Tell me, Finn. After all the work you've done...what is it you need?" It might be the snapdragon in Finn's system, but Cian sounds appreciative, and his offer? If anyone has the resources to satisfy a blank cheque, it's Cian.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
In one breath Cian speaks of not allowing the past to tarnish the present, but when he doesn't take the report - the thing it was all for - short of slapping Finn across the face, there is little more that might have stung the Spyglass in that moment. And so his hand lowers, the folder still clasped between fingers that are very cold. For a moment he can feel a sob try to scratch its way up the back of his throat, his eyes blur--

But Finn blinks quickly and he swallows hard, glancing up to see the Eye strolling ever so casually across the room to his merry fire and his drinks of choice. Finn doesn't follow, even though common sense tells him that he should. Rooted to the spot, he can barely turn towards the fireplace, let alone look at Cian. And the offer, when it comes, threatens to choke him on the next inhale he takes.

What does he need? A time machine would be a good start. He needs to go back in time before this happened, when he was starting to heal after years of effort. He needs to hand in his glasses and his compass and his ring. He needs a little music shop in the Pacifist Plaza, with a speakeasy attached. He needs a warm bed and the smell of hot chocolate and a woman he can't bear to touch right now in his arms.

Of course, Finn says none of this.

"At the risk of offending you, there is nothing I need which I require from you," he says softly. "I need no more strings added to my marionette. Merely the ability to continue doing my job will suffice."
it never stops
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
'You've not offended me.' Cian says, having lost none of his casual air despite the weighty silence that heralds Finn's decline. 'If you have the ability and need nothing from me to continue, then..' Holding up a hand as if miming to an invisible audience that he tried, the Eye nods toward the two chairs. He doesn't sit in one, but the gesture is a token one: come here, Finn.

"I'm sure I'll find your report incredibly thorough as usual, but as you're here now...tell me. Torchline. Can we count on them to be on the right side of things?" If want Finn wants is to do his job, then so be it.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
Part of Finn hates himself for it, but there's no denying that he does relax as he's told there's been no offence taken by the Eye. He doesn't see the imperious hand gesture, but he feels the nod towards one of the seats. And if nothing else, Finn has just proven that he's good at doing what he's told - so he moves to sit, almost perched on the edge of the seat, gazing into the fire.

So be it might imply that Finn is unhappy with the arrangement, but the truth is far from. Smoothing his hands across the folder, he closes his eyes to recall the summaries of his report. "So long as the Governor of Torchline is in good stead with his husband, there is no certainty that they can be counted on," he says. "It's true that, for now, Torchline very much favours Safrin. She has built them canals and promises respite from the monsoons. She has had a child with the governor. But should Sunjata no longer be governor, or should his husband be elevated in some way, there is potential for the tide to change."

A breath in, and one out. "This is further complicated by Nate Wrenzaok's status as one of the Voice's chosen." Demigod isn't a term that the role deserves. It implies that the Voice is a goddess, and that is still very much untrue in Stormbreak's eyes.
it never stops
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
Cian's fingers tap against the mantel as Finn speaks, but the pads of his fingers make no sound despite their stuttered movements. It would be wrong to think that this is the Eye fidgeting. A more accurate assessment would be that this is how Cian remembers as much as he does; memory tricks come in all shapes and sizes.

Cian nods, the fire crackles, and Finn breathes.

Most of this is information that the Eye has already learned for himself. What Cian most needs from his Spyglass is his ability to piece together what he's learned, threading out potential futures. "Should Sunjata no longer be governor...have you any idea who might take his place? Do you think he would be...open to the sort of sanctuary we once offered to the Taliesin's?" A world on the brink of war was no place to raise a child, but at least in Stormbreak, Kamaria might be safe.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
Finn isn't currently wearing his glasses, but blue eyes take on something of a faraway look nonetheless. It is a balm, to engage in things from an intellectual perspective, and he sinks eagerly into it. "I believe that a Torchline native would take over from here. The islands have always trusted their own, and they have given control to an Outlander twice now. Most likely someone who has proven themselves capable, close to their interests. They would follow after."

Would Sunjata be open to Stormbreak as a sanctuary, though? "For his daughter, most definitely," he confirms. "But I do not think he and the Ascended would part ways at this point. We may be more successful if we pre-empt it, and start offering aid to him now."
it never stops
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
Cian nods. Though neither man is looking at the other, this is perhaps one of their more congenial interactions. Or perhaps it merely seems that way in contrast. "Any idea who it might be?" Raza or Jack might seem likely candidates had either of them the desire for it. Perhaps the pirate would install one of his own people for the sake of convenience.

Pulling in a slow breath, Cian steps on an ember that has made its way from the fire with little thought to the sole of his shoe. 'The Voice seems to be gathering her own in the Grounds. The Greatwood is taken care of, but Halo is still uncertain. Regardless, that puts her efforts quite far north." Whatever Nate and Sunjata might want to do, it would seem the ascended was going to be continually tugged away from the southern shores. 'From what you have seen, do you think Ronin is still the best one to try and coax Sunjata our way? Or after what you have learned of him, but with this face, do you think you might make more headway? Or someone else? Seraphina? Falke or October?"
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
Finn shakes his head slowly, but it isn't exactly a no. "Both Raza Ekambe and Jack Barclay have their own empires to run. The latter might take up the position, but there is no guarantee. Perhaps the new madame of the Halenani might stake a claim, but she is sweet on the governor. I don't know if her loyalty to him would outweigh her loyalty to Torchline."

The rest of what Cian has to say is met without reaction. "Ronin and Sunjata clashed during monsoon season, shortly before the Halenani lost its roof. They made amends, so I believe he will still be best placed to offer that sort of sanctuary for his daughter. I could try, but we met previously and I'm not sure he would respect anything I had to say with my current appearance."

As for the others? "Falke," he says, quite confidently. "Possibly Doctor Hart, but Falke will be able to focus his attentions on what Sunjata needs."
it never stops
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
Turning to regard one of the candlesticks on the mantle, Cian's expression is witnessed only by the wallpaper as Finn speaks of Maeve and Sunjata. Hsi thoughts brew for a few moments before he turns his attention outward once again.

'Oh?' Turning, the Eye raises a brow, his silence weighty with unsaid assumptions and accusations about why Finn would fail to be a good candidate to speak with the Governor. 'Very well.' He says, not pressing the issue. Whether this is a kindness or a judgment is entirely unclear.

"By that do you mean October would be too distractable for such a task?" He wonders, dispensing with the formalities of titles and full names unlike Finn.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
"Yes. We first met on our initial trip to Torchline. I am not sure he would even remember me. Granted, were I still in my guise, that might be a different matter." He shrugs his shoulders. That comes with its own complexities of course, the primary being that Finn will likely never make it beyond the cliffs if he is sent on another mission like that.

Distractible? Finn shakes his head. "No, not at all. I believe Doctor Hart would be a fine candidate, but by her own admission she is no expert on the mind. Sunjata would benefit greatly from someone like Falke, to be able to speak through his issues and understand why Stormbreak would be better for him."
it never stops
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
Reaching into his pocket and pulling out a cigarette rolled in dark and sweetly-scented paper, the Eye glances toward the Spyglass with a brow raised and the case outstretched. Regardless of the other man's decision to partake or abstain, Cian will light the end of his (and Finn's, had he taken one), with a slow and ritualistic sort of decadence.

"I will bear that in mind. I only thought of October, given how much of what we might offer Sunjata has to do with having a child." Cian shrugs. "But you're quite correct that the mind is Falke's area of expertise."

Taking a long and slow pull from the cigarette, Cian lets his head tilt back slightly as the fragrant smoke escapes his lips. "Is there anything else you'd like to draw my attention to before I read your report?"