so casually cruel in the name of being honest
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Despite the flush on her cheeks, Maeve manages a smirk that is entirely too mischievous as she looks up at him from beneath her lashes. The way he purrs her own pet name makes her stomach twist with anticipation, knowing that he's definitely going to be making a lot of things up to her. "Well you do act like one on occasion." She shoots back quickly, eyes shining playfully as she meets his gaze.

The laugh makes her feel a little better, but also a little worse. Her expression softens and she gives his arm a squeeze, "You aren't pathetic." She says it firmly, conviction in her voice leaving little room for argument even if he doesn't agree with her. Her chest tightens and there is a flash of guilt in her eyes. Isn't that what she almost did? Isn't that what she would have done if it weren't for the fact that Sunjata wouldn't have her? Yeah, it is. She hates to admit it, but it's true. She isn't settling for Locke. That's not what this is. Maeve does like him. A lot. She wants to explore this and him and everything in between. "I mean, you are the only one who seems to want me for more than just... a fuck every now and again." She says softly. It isn't a lie. Yeah, Hotaru seems interested, but does it extend beyond a quick romp or two in the sheets? A hook up every few weeks? Maeve isn't so sure.

"You didn't go to Molly's then? Shame... Would have thought you did." She's trying to play it off. It isn't like it matters. She fucks other people regularly. Not just for her job. He can too if he wants. He says he cares about her. That's all she needs to know. Maeve tries not to get too wrapped up in it, ignoring the surge of jealousy and the way her chest grows tighter.

Maeve stays quiet for a moment, pursing her lips as they head out of the barracks, "Yeah... About our talk. About seeing you. I didn't know how this was going to go. You could have told me to fuck off after I said my piece. I wouldn't have blamed you." Whether he thinks so or not, he is technically a rebound. Even if she does care about him. Maeve glances around as they cut through the training yard, not missing the look the other dragoon gives Locke, but she doesn't comment on it. "Nothing stopping you from saying it is."

Soon they're slipping out of the gates and onto the streets, "Yeah, I'll try anything at least once." She says with a grin, trying to lighten the mood.
These violent delights
Have violent ends
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
LOCKE

He raises an eyebrow, "Do I? Guess it's because no one ever took the time to train me properly. Just a stray. Although I guess I kind of have.. an owner now." His face scrunches up as he trails off before he looks at her, head tilted. "You gonna make me wear a collar? Not against it." Wasn't that basically what the choker he'd given her was? Kind of but not really. He licks his lips, "Just don't call me a bitch, unless it's 'your bitch' or something." A joke. Kind of.

She says he isn't and he grins because she's wrong but he's not going to fight her on it. That's his own cross to bare. Maybe one day he'll ask her for help but that's not going to any time soon. Measured steps, don't want to be too much. "You're right. I'm pretty amazing." A lie but it's told easily, like it's not the first time because it isn't. He pats her arm and pretends like he's fine. Because he is, or he will be. "Fucking idiots is what they are." He wants to say more but he's afraid of coming off as overbearing, as too much. He just pats her hand in an attempt to comfort her. He's not good at this.

"Told you, brothels aren't my thing.." He just kind of keeps ending up there. "Maybe we can go together." Really just an off-handed suggestion. Although it would give them a proper room for fooling around, maybe. He's not sure how private things are for her at Ronin's. "Just had a romp with a girl I met.." The one he'd suggested she meet earlier! He still thinks they should meet actually.

He looks down at her as they walk, frowning just a little. "I thought about it, for a second. It would've been easier, probably." In reality, it hadn't crossed his mind. He had been so worried about her, so stupidly upset at the idea of her being gone, hurt, that it hadn't even occurred to him to tell her to leave.

Her suggestion makes him laugh though, pulling him out of his head. "Loxley 'fuckin' Trouble Moore! What a great fuckin' name.." He says it dramatically, an almost 1920's accent to it as he waves one hand around. Locke shakes his head before looking down at her. "Don't think it quite rolls off the tongue, does it?" But they're to the little stand and he kind of nudges her forward. "Shouldn't say something like that to a pervert like me.. Might give me ideas." It's barely more than a husky whisper spoken against her ear as he urges her to order. There's all kinds of protein heavy goodies here, easy to eat and meant for on the go. Lots of sandwiches too.
I know I was born and I know that I'll die
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

She huffs, cheeks a nice shade of pink now as she glances up at him, "Is that what I am? Your owner? Not your-" Maeve cuts herself off, considering if she should actually say anything, but she powers through it anyway, ignoring the nervousness in her belly. "Your girlfriend or whatever..?" She huffs, wrinkling her nose as she ignores the way waiting for his answer almost makes her feel sick. "Is that what you want? To wear a collar and wait for me in my apartment to get home like a good boy?" Just flirt it away. Be a little bit of a tease. That's the best way to handle the nerves swirling in her gut.

"Or they know something you don't, Locke. Ever consider that?" Maeve shoots back because maybe they really do know something he doesn't. See some kind of hidden label on her forehead that just reads 'not relationship material'. Even if that's what she wants. So much for moving past that feeling. She's deep in it now and hates the way it seems to weigh on her. The way he pats the hand on his arm doesn't really help. It almost feels condescending. Just a way to soothe her so she doesn't feel so bad about herself.

Maeve glances up at him, arching a brow, "If you want to... We could see what all they have to offer." She suggests softly. Not just because she wants to go out with him, but it would be good to see what the other brothel has going on. Maybe she can learn a few things. "A romp, huh?" Does she really want to know? She's not so sure she does, but she's morbidly curious. He's not the only one who can get jealous it seems.

She licks her lips, teeth finding her bottom lip, chewing on it anxiously as he speaks. Maybe he should have. It probably would have been easier. He would have proved the point that everyone seems to be making, though. She's a mistake. She's not supposed to be anything more than just a casual fuck. That's just what she is. "Maybe you should have..." Maeve says softly, looking down at the stones as they walk together.

The laugh distracts her for just a moment and she looks up at him as he tests the name out, "Maybe not, but it's still fun." She muses, wrinkling her nose as they approach the cart. He slips behind her, pressing his lips to her ear and she draws in a breath, "Would that be so bad?" Maeve hums back before she's taking a step forward and ordering some sort of meat on a stick.
These violent delights
Have violent ends
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
LOCKE

She's not the only one who's face is flushed. The way her nose wrinkles makes him laugh almost nervously. Oh yeah. Titles and things exist! What are they? They're something! That's for sure. Dating? Yeah. Dating. Locke's lips purse for a second, "Pretty sure it's just girlfriend, no whatever needed. But owner sounds fun too. Lay at your feet, pleasure you when you want.. Maybe I'll clean your apartment naked.. Sounds fun to me.." He's talking uncharacteristically fast but it's fine. She's his girlfriend. He's her boyfriend. Or something. It's fine.

Her next question though? Replaces any silly nerves with something else. Anger? Maybe. His jaw clenches again and he stops to look at her. "Or, Maeve, I know something they don't. Ever consider that?" It's almost mocking the way he says it. But he thinks it's true. So what if she's a Madam. If she's a whore. She gets him. Or some part of him. And she's willing to get the rest. That's gotta mean something, right? Another clench of his jaw as they walk again. He doesn't know who hurt her this way, Sunjata maybe, the girl.. But still. He doesn't say anything else, just takes her hand because fuck, he doesn't know what else to do.

The mood is sour again. He wonders if it's always going to be like this. A rollercoaster. One of them crashing while the other peaks before being drug back down too. He presses a kiss to the hand he holds, willing the thought away. "We can go if you want. We don't have to. I really, genuinely don't like brothels. Only ever went to the Halenani because you were there." It's true. Except maybe the first time. He just shrugs at her second question. She hasn't divulged any details and he doesn't plan on it either. Maybe another time when they're feeling better. He kind of wonders if she's jealous though.. He kind of hates how good that makes him feel.

He raises an eyebrow as he looks at her. "Is that what you wanted? For me to tell you to fuck off?" It's spoken softly, he's not angry. Just.. confused. He's second guessing all of this and he doesn't like that. It's been not even an hour and things feel rocky, unsteady again. He doesn't want that, doesn't like that she's doubting herself so quickly, doubting him. Locke brushes his knuckles across her cheek before leaning down to kiss her. Soft, chaste, but he lingers there a moment.

"I want you. I've wanted you. Ever since the day I cut your hair. I left then and I regretted it every day after. I don't want to do that again. I understand if you're not ready. I'll wait. Already have been." She waited for him, it's only fair if he returns the favor, right? And if it's a mistake in the long run, it's his to make.

Her quiet admission gets a little grin, "Depends. Is it a bad idea?" It's monotone, a joke fallen flat before he's even said it. He orders something, a sandwich, even though his appetite is gone. She gets a meat stick and he wants to make a joke but he doesn't. He just holds his hand out to her and he hopes she takes it.
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

The flush on his cheeks makes her feel a touch better. Just for a moment she's reminded that she isn't the only one new to this. He is too. They're figuring it out together. Dating, relationships, all of it. She lets out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding, "We don't have to label it... Just thought that maybe- maybe things wouldn't be so confusing if we did." Maeve admits softly before she's swept away by the rest of what he says. That doesn't sound like a bad idea if she's being honest, but that isn't all she wants this to be. Not anymore. "How about we just start with this? You being my boyfriend..." It feels odd to say and she's not sure if it's what he even wants.

Maeve watches the way the muscles in his jaw feather and his hazel eyes seem to darken as he snaps back at her. Promptly her cheeks flush and she ducks her head, lips pressing into a thin line as she lets the words sink in, mulling over his question. "I guess I haven't... Can't ignore the patterns, though." A mistake, a distraction, a whore. All labels that have been given to her. Ones that make her into something not worth keeping or pursuing. Yet here he is. She can't help wondering why. He might be a bit of a mess. A fuck up. Whatever. That doesn't mean he's not worth something. That he can't have someone better than her. Would it be so bad if he just wanted her? His fingers slip between hers as he laces them together and she lets herself focus on that instead.

They can't seem to stay in rhythm together. One goes up and the other goes down. So many highs and lows in the span of a fucking hour. It couldn't be healthy. Truly. Except they're trying. That's what this whole thing is. They're trying to learn about each other and this feeling between them. Trying to see if there is something here worth growing. His lips brush across the back of her hand, soft and sweet. She sighs softly, "We don't have to go. Not if you don't want to. Don't want you to do anything you aren't comfortable with." Maeve murmurs sincerely, giving his hand a squeeze and silently thanking him for not giving away any details. It's probably for the best.

Locke pulls them to the side after they order, looking down at her with soft eyes and whatever annoyance he might of felt before seems to be gone. There is nothing but confusion and a yearning to understand in his eyes as she looks up at him. Maeve swallows thickly, giving a small shake of her head, "No... That isn't what I want." She whispers back, eyes suddenly growing glassy as she looks up at him with tears that threaten to spill as he leans in to kiss her. It's chest achingly sweet. So gentle and tender. If it wasn't for the way he cups her cheek, she might have fallen apart. Maeve hates that he pulls away and almost chases after his lips, but he starts to talk and she stops short of claiming his lips in another kiss.

"I'm sorry..." She whispers, voice tight as she looks up at him from beneath her lashes. She is sorry. For so much. For being difficult. For doubting him. For things she can't even name. "I wanted you then too... I- fuck, Locke... That day hurt me. It hurt me so much. It felt like I was just- just a whore. Another mistake. Maybe I am and maybe this is stupid, but I don't want to second guess things anymore. I want to do this." Her voice trembles more than she would like to admit as she gazes up at him, tears caught in her lashes and refusing to actually fall.

"A lot of things tend to be bad ideas, but sometimes they work out." Maeve whispers, hand curling at his waist as she steps into his space, needing the reassurance that he's here. That they can figure this out. She just needs to trust him. She can do that. Can't she?
These violent delights
Have violent ends
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

They don't have to label it, she's right. But maybe it would be for the best. Labeling it puts them on the same level, in the same book, whatever. Labeling it means they can tell other people. Would she? Or would he be her little secret? He doesn't want to get in the way of her work, her relationships. But he nods, "Yeah. That sounds good.. Can do that." It feels kind of juvenile but that's fine. It's not like he expects to be her husband or.. anything like that. Her partner. They're not like that. Not yet.

His free hand brushes against her cheek, rough pad of his thumb against her smooth skin. The contrast between him and her is something. He's not sure how he feels about it. He thinks he likes it though. "You're going to find patterns where you look for them. Trust me." He doesn't know how to pull her out of her head. He only has soft words and gentle touches for her. He doesn't know if that's enough but he'll try. "You're amazing, Mae. Friendly, caring, kind, sexy, smart, you're all of those things, probably more too. And if people can't see past your job, that's on them. They don't deserve the rest of you." Does that mean he does? Probably not. But he's got some words and maybe some fists for the people who made her feel this way. She deserves better, better than him, better than people who can't appreciate her. But Locke is greedy and he won't give her up so easily.

She steps closer and he pulls her into his arms, a proper hug for the first time since they've met. He tucks her against him, one arm around her waist while the other buries into her hair. His heart is racing as he holds her there, forcing her to feel him. He's here, he's real, he wants her. She just has to accept him or reject him. He's already accepted her. Whore, Madam, Maeve, all of her. He's lost count of how many times he's said it. But he means it and he'll say it until she believes him. "I know I hurt you, and I'm sorry. I was scared. I'm still scared." It hurts, being this open, and Locke doesn't want to be hurt. But isn't a little pain worth it? For her? He thinks it might be.

"But I'll spend every day making it up to you, however you want. I shouldn't have used you that way. I," Locke pauses, caught in his own ramblings, "Shouldn't have used you like that. I wanted you to feel.. Normal. Or, whatever. And then it felt intimate and I felt something I haven't in a long time and I got scared." He's not sure he should be telling her all of this in the middle of a park but that's where they are.

He presses a kiss into her hair, gentle, before tucking his cheek against her head. "Am I a bad idea? One worth trying at least?" Bad ideas are usually the most fun, even when they don't work out. And this can be fun, if they can get through this weirdness. It's a lot, all at once, for both of them. But they'll be alright.
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It does make it easier to wrap her head around. Even if it seems strange. She’s never had this before. He knows that. Maeve doesn’t know if this is his first. She might not be. That’s fine if she isn’t. It doesn’t really matter one way or another because they’re picking each other now.

Maeve doesn’t even fight the urge to lean into his touch. Her head tilts, pressing into the gentle brush of his thumb over her cheek. Somehow she manages not to break. A sob doesn’t push past her lips. Tears don’t slip down her cheeks. That one touch holds her together, his words shoring her up as he offers her reassurances. Maeve almost argues. She’s close to pushing back, wanting to shake her head and tell him that she’s not any of those things. Who is she to tell him he’s wrong though? Instead she takes his words, tucking them around her heart, letting them fill her chest with warmth and chase out the cold that seems to have settled in her bones since the beginning of Flowerbirth. ”You’re just trying to make me feel better.” Maeve murmurs, but there isn’t any heat in her words. No real push back against what he’s saying, but she has to say something back, unable to let the words just settle between them.

Of all the things to happen, a hug wasn’t on her list. It wasn’t expected. Maybe that’s why her breath stutters out of her in a shaky exhale, releasing a tension that was holding her muscles taut and she melts into him. Her own arms wrap around his waist, grounding herself to him as if he might keep her from getting washed out to sea. He could keep her from drowning in these emotions that threaten to pull her under, grasping at her ankles and yanking her beneath their waves. He keeps her head above water as his fingers brush into her hair, cradling her gently against his chest. He’s here, he’s real, he wants her. Fuck if she doesn’t want him too. She’d be stupid not to. Damn what everyone else thinks. Whether he’s good for her. Whether he deserves her. It doesn’t fucking matter. All that matters is what is happening between them right now.

”I’m scared too.” Maeve admits, the words mumbled against his chest, eyes closed to keep her tears at bay. Everything is open and raw, but she doesn’t hate it. She just hates that she doesn’t know how to tend to these wounds. Maybe she doesn’t have to. Maybe he can patch her up. Piece her back together until she’s whole again.

Her breath catches in her throat, lodging tightly at the back of it, refusing to budge as he keeps talking. Maeve doesn’t doubt his words. That he will make it up to her. That he’d spend the rest of their lives fixing the damage he did if she let him. ”I did feel normal… No one-” Her voice breaks, cracking with fractures of emotions, uncaring of the people who are likely watching her fall apart. ”No one had ever taken care of me like that. Ever.” Maeve whispers against his chest, unable to make herself draw back and look up at him. Not if she’s going to keep it together.

A watery laugh bubbles up in her chest and she sniffles, nodding her head as she stays wrapped in his arms. ”Such a bad idea, but I want to try anyway. I want to figure things out with you. I- I want you to come back to Torchline with me and help me rebuild and teach me to swim and just… everything.” She wants sex for breakfast and all the little moments in between. She doesn’t care if it’s easy. It already isn’t, but she wants it anyway.
These violent delights
Have violent ends
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

The poor guy making their food is just kind of there, waiting for them to get through whatever this is. But Maeve is small and warm, tucking into his chest. He presses another kiss to the top her head before pulling back just a little. He tilts her chin up with his finger before leaning down to give her a proper kiss. He's not one for being open with things like this, feelings, affection. But she's his, in some small way so he'll try. When he pulls away, he bumps his nose against her's, sighing softly.

"Is there anything wrong with trying to make my girlfriend feel better?" He says it delicately, like his voice might break whatever this is between them. Things are tense but better, he things. Something about breaking things to rebuild them, stronger. They're going to have to keep breaking each other's walls down, brick by brick, and maybe with what's left over, they can build something together.

She accepts his hug and he's content to keep her there. Shelter her from her thoughts and maybe his a little bit too. "We can be scared together." Something akin to a laugh, or maybe a scoff, comes from him as he holds her. He is bad for her. He knows it. She's bad for him too, he thinks. It's alright though, he likes it. Likes her. "And I'll take care of you. Make up for.. The rest." Whatever that means. He's not sure but they'll figure it out. Together. That's the goal anyway.

Locke finally lets her go, kind of, stepping back just a bit. His hands find her's and he pulls one up for a kiss and then the other. He'd be more embarrassed about being so touchy feely if he wasn't feeling a little smug about it too. Even if she can't see it, she's a catch and he's the only one who's been brave enough to reel her in. He knows, some day, he'll have to share her but for right now, she's all his. He lets that soak into his bones, easing his insecurity.

Then she reaffirms everything and he laughs too, reaching up to wipe away a stray tear. He hates how much she's cried because of him. Just in general, but especially today. "Mae," He pauses, a shaky breath as he gives her a crooked smile, "I'd like that too." It's not what he wants to say, not at all. But neither of them are ready for that yet so he'll tuck it away, for another time. He drops one of her hands before turning, walking her back towards the food stand.

"Wonder how cold our food is.."
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

There isn't an argument left for her to make. Not when he's tilting her chin up with one finger and pressing the sweetest of kisses against her lips. It's enough to distract her from her from anything she might say in response to his statement. Maeve presses into the kiss, bringing a hand up to cup his cheek and draw him closer to her before he finally pulls away. She sniffles, shaking her head. No, there isn't anything wrong with it and she adores him all the more for pushing through her insecurities.

Maeve tucks herself back against him, snuggling as close as she she's able to. As close as is appropriate in the middle of the park with people milling around them and a food vendor who is likely very confused as to what is happening. Locke keeps her safe in his embrace, pushing away those thoughts that threaten to consume her and Maeve can't help wondering how she ever thought there was nothing more than attraction here. How she ever doubted him. Even if they are bad for each other. Even if it isn't healthy. It doesn't matter. She finally looks up at him when he pulls back from her, managing a small smile as he wipes away a stray tear, "Okay... Together." Maeve murmurs, leaning into his touch after he presses a kiss to her hand, lips brushing lightly across her skin.

It's a start. Albeit a rocky one. They'll figure it out. Together. They will learn and grow and build each other up from the ruins that others have left behind. He smiles at her. Small and crooked. It's a balm for everything she's been through, soothing her bruised heart, and she returns it the best she can. It's the first one that seems to truly reach her eyes. "Probably too cold to really be good."

She huffs, shaking her head as they head back to the cart. Their food might be cold, but the warmth in her chest more than makes up for it.

~FIN <3~
These violent delights
Have violent ends