what a pleasant surprise
for Nate <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Coming back to sunshine and clear skies shouldn't have been so shocking, but given the state of Torchline when she left it the Madame is left reeling. The walk up to Sunjata's home is a familiar one by this point and she has no problem following the path that leads to the cliffside home, taking a few moments to appreciate the view of the sea. She draws in a deep breath, letting the salty sweet air fill her lungs as she adjusts her bag on her shoulder. Maeve hadn't planned on coming back here, but she didn't have anywhere else to stay. It would be temporary and Sunjata had told her he would do whatever was needed to help her out. Including letting her stay with them.

She approaches the door, reaching up and knocking with enough force that whoever is nearby will at least hear her. Nerves twist in her belly and she tightens her grip on her bag, finding a smile is already starting to tug on the corners of her lips. She was glad to be home.
Long nights, daydreams
Sugar and smoke rings, I've been a fool
But strawberries and cigarettes always taste like you
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE

For the first time since he’d come home, Nate is alone in the house. Sunjata had taken Kamaria to the beach, Saar and Bart had followed, and while he’d considered it the sun was an irritant he really couldn’t be bothered dealing with right now, so home alone it was.

Not that he was complaining. It gave him a chance to putter, to relax with a bottle of something strong enough he can almost taste it and work on dinner. Of course though, no sooner does he start to get his hands dirty than a knock sounds at the door. With a sigh, Nate considers his hands, covered in raw pork and bright red spices, and grabs his bottle on the way to the door. He can wipe up any messes when he’s done.

The door opens just wide enough for Nate to lean against the frame, a single red hand held out in front of him while the other lifts the bottle to his lips in a quick sip. Swallowing, his eye looks Maeve up and down. ”You sellin’ cookies or something?”
Sleepin', you're on your tippy toes
Creepin' around like no one knows
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

This was absolutely not what she was expecting. Her eyes flick from the hand that's red, but from something she's pretty sure isn't blood, to the man its attached to. She blinks, lips parting to answer as dark brows knit together, "Uh, no." Maeve starts, words a little slow as she tries to wrap her head around things. Okay. Nate was back. Which was good. That must have meant he was staying. A little awkward considering what she's here for, but it's fine. "Sorry, I don't think we've officially met. I'm Maeve. I, uhm, run the Halenani." If he asks about Phoebe she'll bother to explain, but she doesn't really want to get into it right now.

"I was staying here after it collapsed. Went to Stormbreak for a little while to heal, but I'm back now." Is she babbling? She is a little bit. Her words tumble out of her and her accent grows thicker by the second as a flush rises to her cheeks, turning the pale flesh a lovely shade of pink. "Jata said I could stay until I got things sorted out." Was that still okay? She's honestly not sure anymore now that Nate's back. Maeve reaches up, tucking a stray curl behind her ear as she glances up at the other man who she's heard about and never actually met.

"I'm.. I'm glad to see you're back. I know Jata really missed you while you were gone." She adds softly. It's a little awkward. More than a little, but she's just going to have to power through.
Long nights, daydreams
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE

His question is answered with a no, and nothing else for a moment, Nate not quite able to hide the impatience in his expression. But he doesn’t have to wait for so long that he simply closes the door, interest lifting his brows. You’re Maeve?” The gaze that runs up and down the madame is suddenly a lot more critical, Nate smirking a little and taking another sip from his bottle.

”Surprised Phoebe let go of her baby.” Nate says it casually, not wishing for more information about it. He was surprised it had collapsed as well, but that’s not a thought he gets to voice as she mentions where been recently, his shoulders coming up and his face freezing into something hard and unfriendly. ”What were you doing in Stormbreak?”

Making a show of glancing over his shoulder, revealing the curious glitter of Pemota behind him, Nate grimaces. ”House has kinda filled up recently.” He mutters noncommittally, working his jaw and shrugging his shoulders.

The soft addition is met with an unreadable, unblinking stare. ”Yeah, well, I’m glad to be home again.” He says after a minute, gaze falling down his hand as a helpless grin plucks at the corners of his lips. ”There’s not a lot that’s worth being away from family for.”
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

The inflection as he voices his question isn't missed and her own brows knit together. Whatever smile that was on her lips before falters as they press together instead as her jaw feathers slightly, "Yes. I'm Maeve. Is that a surprise?" Her tone shifts into something a little testier as she crosses her arms over her chest, eyes narrowing minutely as she looks up at the taller man.

"You shouldn't be. She said I was better suited to run it than she was." The Madame tosses back at him, daring him to doubt her capabilities further. What happened to the Halenani was no real fault of her own. She had accepted that partially due to Sunjata. Just as quickly as they make any ground forward (which wasn't a lot to begin with), Nate is dragging them backwards again with the displeasure clear in his eyes. "I was healing. I almost died that night. I'm only here because Jata got me out alive. I stayed with friends until the monsoons passed and I was well enough to travel and work. I don't know why it matters." She huffs, gritting her teeth as she lifts her chin defiantly, "I don't have a vendetta against the Ascended if that's what you're implying." And she doesn't. One of her dearest friends is an Ascended. To imply that she has any of the same prejudice as others who reside in Stormbreak would be completely wrong.

Maeve clicks her tongue, head cocking to the side, "Can't be any more full than it was while housing myself, four of my workers, Kamaria, Jata, and his sister. If I recall the den attached to Jata's office is still empty." Is it a bit much? Maybe, but there is no real reason for him to shut her out. She hasn't done anything and Jata promised. It's not like she's planning on moving in. Just staying until they get the Halenani rebuilt is all.

"I'm sure they're both happy to have you back. We talked about you a lot while you were gone." They didn't really. Mostly because it made him spiral into something uncontrollable, but sometimes they did. When Sunjata could handle the heartache it brought up. "I helped him board up the clinic, by the way. I heard it faired well? How lucky for you that your home and your place of work remained standing."
Long nights, daydreams
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

"It is a bit of a surprise." Nate admits with a shrug, his grin only growing as hers falters. "You're not really his usual type, but hey, any port in a storm, right?" Laughing to himself, he rolls his shoulders back and tips his chin up, a brow lifting in her direction. "Well I can only assume you've been around more than she has been the last little while." He agrees about Phoebe, trying and failing to keep his personal distaste for the former Madame out of his tone.

Nate only just barely keeps from rolling his eyes at the dramatic explanation. "Long way to go for some healing." He points out, before she cuts right to the quick of his irritation. "I never implied anything about a vendetta." He sneers, though he's unable to get the idea out of his head now that it's been aired, paranoia and distrust souring his mood even further.

It's clear by the way he leans in, the way his face grows darker a clear indication that her tone is wearing on the little patience he has. "That was an emergency situation. I don't want people sleeping on my floor when there's other places to go." A request that he thinks is rational, really, though she has to push that much more. "Actually," Nate lifts a red-stained finger towards her face, "It's not empty anymore. We've been busy since I got back." Not that the specifics were any of her business.

Both brows lift in sullen amusement, a thin grin spreading over his face. "Oh you talked about me? Had some nice little chats between work?" His voice is low, sneering, a crackling hand appearing and grabbing the edge of the door like he's considering slamming it shut. "And you helped him with the clinic. Regular saint you are, huh?"

Licking his lips, Nate leans back again, straightening to his full height and looking down at Maeve. "It did fare well. A little dirty, from housing refugees, but I guess thats what happens when other people don't prep, isn't it? I mean, we all knew what was coming, didn't we?"
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It shouldn't hurt, but it does. The comment cutting deep and her lips press into a thin line, a flash of hurt in her eyes as her gaze drops. The need to defend herself and their relationship flares in her belly, hot and angry at Nate for daring to belittle her so much. Sunjata is her friend. That's how it all started. Nate left and she was here for him. Maeve bites her tongue, not saying a word. She's not going to give him the satisfaction.

"Well when our primary doctor isn't anywhere to be found.." She mutters, tilting her chin up defiantly as she holds his gaze, jaw feathering with her irritation. "You didn't have to. It was pretty fucking clear from the beginning. Don't take my word for it, though. Ask Adam or Samuel or anyone else for that fucking matter." Maeve snaps back and if she had fangs, she would bare them at him just like he's close to doing himself.

It might have been a rational request and on any other day, Maeve likely wouldn't care so much. She probably would just accept it and move on. Except she's got no where else to go really and he seems more than willing to throw that back in her face. She growls, reaching up to push his finger out of her face.

"Does it fucking matter, Nate? Not my fault that you decided to leave." Maeve hisses back, spitting the words with venom, "If you have a fucking problem with what happened, take it up with your husband. He was the one who wanted me around. I helped take care of Kamaria and kept him together because you fucking left."

She shakes her head, taking a step back as she draws in a sharp breath, "I did prep. I did what I could. It isn't my fault that the monsoons were too much." The guilt is almost too much to handle, making her throat tight and threatening tears. It isn't her fault. She tried. She really did, but there wasn't anything to be done. Maeve turns her back to him, making her way back down the path, "So glad your home, Nate. Try not to fuck it up." She tosses back over her shoulder, intent on putting as much distance between him and her as possible.
Long nights, daydreams
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

That flash of weakness, of hurt and anger has the smirk on Nate’s face stretching so wide and sharp it’s not even really a grin anymore. It’s arrogance, it’s self assurance, it’s irritation that he’s still being needled like this. ”So I’m it, huh? Torchline is fuckin’ helpless without we me? No one else here knows shit about medicine?” Nate snorts, rolling his eye.

He stubbornly refuses to shift away from her gaze, locking his own single unblinking eye in her in a contest, of sorts. ”Fucking forgive me for being suspicious of the place full of people who want me dead.” Maybe in another situation, the names of two people he considered friends would have meant something, but right now it simply sparks more of a snarl, Nate unable to keep the note of sneering condescension out of his voice. ”People lie, you should know that by now. And I don’t trust weird little girls that show up on my doorstep.”

”You don’t have any fucking right to come in here acting like what, I’m to blame for you assuming you’re hot shit here?” This was his home, regardless of where or why he’d left. ”And? You weren’t my replacement, you were a fucking placeholder, and that place is gone now.” He leans out of the door now, all threat and bared teeth. ”He doesn’t need you anymore.”

Nate half threatens to follow her out the door as she backs up, but he stops himself, not leaving the threshold of the door. ”You did what you could, huh? You telling me that, or yourself?” Shes made it too easy now, to poke and rip where she’d tried to stick her own fingers in. People never could stand when the mirror turns back on them, could they?

That sharp grin returns to his lips once Maeve’s back is to him, his accent dragging over his words harshly. ”Keep my fucking name outta your mouth, and don’t come back.” He shouts after her, slamming the door so hard the new pane rattles, threatening to crack. It doesn’t though, not like after his talk with Ronin, so how’s that for self control, eh?

Done~