[SEASONAL EVENT] For the Meek
For Seiji
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
Isla

take your medicine

Isla didn't require food in the traditional sense, not any more. But with the Infirmary to take care of for the coming LongNight, and more than one person staying there with her who did need food, it seemed only right that she should make sure there was enough available. The medic tugged a sled through the snow along the Outskirts of the Hollowed Ground, bundled up against a cold she didn't feel and with eyes sharp as they pierced the darkness.

Because she couldn't trust herself to go out in the daylight, even though she felt stronger now than she had done. So it was by moonlight that she searched the world for anything worth foraging. Soon enough she came upon a grizzled tree as yet untouched by the snow, Isla tilting her head at what she found there.

The ground was scattered with prickly orbs, some of which had cracked open to reveal sweet chestnuts within. It was a quick win, and while she waited for something better to come along (hopefully) it would be rude to say no.

Seiji Okura
Musician

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: kae Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
S E I J I
Seiji would like to think he’s getting better at self-sufficiency. Every day spent in the hollowed grounds has something to teach him, and he is doing his best to learn. Dressing in warm layers, paying careful attention to how quickly the fire burns through logs, training his eye to recognize the differences between edible plants and… plant-plants. Seiji is almost painfully aware of his ignorance, but more than that — the burden he places on anyone who happens to be stuck near him at any time. So he must do his best to learn the important things here. The days grow perilously short.

So short, in fact, that he finds night falling over him before he’s ready. He has been out amongst the trees again, not wandering this time but trying to find the last of the edible food the woods offered before the arrival of Longnight. Each early dusk came like a warning — hurry up — and Seiji had yet to learn anything substantial about the night itself. Only that it was… well, long. And dark. And dangerous. That luxere and their glowing antlers were a boon during such a time. Perilously little to work with. So he busied himself with making preparations, instead. This evening, he carried a small sack slung over his shoulder. He had found a few long, grasslike plants which smelled a little like onions; some small, sour berries; even a cluster of ugly mushrooms he didn’t particularly trust, but wrapped in a scrap of cloth anyway and stuck in the bottom of the bag, to ask someone about later. All this work had run long into dusk, though, and as he made his way back to the settlement, darkness shrouded the outskirts.

Fortunately, an unobscured moon cast some light — just enough to navigate by. Seiji moved carefully forward, his senses attuned to every shift, every noise, in the darkness around him. He checked frequently over his shoulder, half expecting to see some hideous monster stalking after him each time, but spied no such thing. Instead, the sound of footsteps eventually alerted him to a presence in front of him, and Seiji found himself blinking at a pale woman half outlined in moonlight, half obscured by the branches of a nearby tree. His current course would take him right past her. She did not seem to be in distress, but he did wonder why she was out so late gathering nuts, as that seemed to be what she was doing. Deepfrost was even colder at night; Seiji usually tried to be back in the relative safety of the settlement by then.

He lifted a hand in greeting as he drew near, dark eyes curious but expression friendly. “The days are getting short now, aren’t they?” he commented when he was close enough. Perhaps she had merely been caught out late as he was, and would enjoy some company while she finished up what she was doing.
The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

Isla had successfully separated a decent amount of chestnuts from their casings when someone came upon her, the medic just having wrapped her find in a cloth to place in the sled. Sharp ears keening against the sound of another's appproach, she straightened up just as Seiji drew close. Isla offered him a friendly smile and lifted her hand in return.

"Yes," she said softly in agreement. "At least the sky is clear tonight, though." It could always be worse - it could always be snowing. It didn't bother Isla any, but for others within the barrier it could be perilous.

"Did you come out here to gather food as well? There are plenty of chestnuts, if you want to take some with you. They are good roasted." Briefly she missed the taste of them, on a cold night with a mug of mulled wine. But Isla mentally shook that thought away. There lay madness.

Seiji Okura
Musician

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
S E I J I
It could always be worse. Seiji nods in response to her words, privately thinking that seems to be especially true here in Caido. There is a strange sort of beauty to the land in moonlight, snow glittering and pale. It would be beautiful were it not so inhospitable. The woman's next statement returns Seiji's thoughts to the present, though, and he nods before blinking down at the strange shapes littering the ground.

"Chestnuts," he repeats, crouching to lift one and examine it. The outer shell has split, revealing the nut inside. Easy enough to pull the rest of the hull off and turn the inner meat around in his fingers. More difficult, though, to learn much about it by examining here in the dark. "Thank you," he says as he tucks it in his bag. "I don't think I have eaten these before. I will roast some." He gathers a few more before he straightens up, smiling at her.

"My name is Seiji," he offers, and waits for her to give hers in return.
The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

"Mmhm," Isla nodded in confirmation, smiling and watching as he leant down to gather some of the nuts for himself, though she seemed surprised to learn he hadn't eaten them. "You're in for a treat," she assured him, making sure she had collected everything else together and straightening up in preparation to head back to the Temple where she could stock everything in the infirmary.

Looking up once more as he gave his name, Isla nodded politely in greeting to the man. "Isla," she introduced. "Would you like to walk back to town with me? It seems easier than wandering alone at night." Besides, the company might be nice. That was, unless Seiji didn't have anything else to get on with. Or who knew, he might live out here. "Do you have far to go?"

Seiji Okura
Musician

Change author:
S E I J I
Isla. Has he heard that name before? It strikes a spark of recognition, but Seiji cannot be sure of why. Perhaps someone he knew in the past? Unable to place it, he lets the idea go, and nods instead. "I was returning home before I saw you. I didn't notice night coming, at first. Safer together, I think." He smiles, glad to hear she was thinking the same thing he was.

"Not very far," Seiji answers her question. "Just a small house down there." He gestures toward the buildings in the distance, though of course he can't see Kiada's particular home from there. Unhappy to linger out in the dark, he begins to walk in that direction as he speaks, but soon pauses, something near his foot catching his eye.

A downed branch: relatively straight and a little longer than his forearm. It looks as though it fell some time ago — the bark is cracked and dry, though crusted with ice on the underside. Seiji pauses just long enough to pick it up before continuing on, lifting the branch to examine it by the moonlight. He's been nursing an idea for the past several days, and he thinks this looks as good a way as any to begin acting. He carries the stick loosely in his free hand as they draw nearer the town.
The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

Nodding in agreement, Isla grabbed up the rope for her sled and began to tug it away from the tree. Once it met the snow it slid easily along with them, Isla's steps slow but sure as she navigated the cold fields.

She peered at the dancing lights in the distance as Seiji pointed them out, her night vision cutting easily through the shadows to make out the smattering of rooftops. "Not too far, then," she agreed. "I'm headed to the Temple, so I can get these supplies put away. I work at the infirmary there."

Pausing as her new companion did, Isla raised her eyebrows as she watched him examine the branch before plucking it up and taking it with him. "What are you going to do with it?" she asked curiously, smiling across at him and continuing onward. "Not for firewood, I assume." Whilst it might make suitable kindling, a single branch wouldn't go very far.

Seiji Okura
Musician

Change author:
S E I J I
Brightening in response to her curiosity, Seiji grins at Isla. “Make something,” he responds cheerfully. “I do not remember many things about where I came from, but I know… I used to play music. I want to make a flute. Over Longnight, while I am inside.” He could probably find an artisan in the settlement with better quality instruments, but something about his longing for a piece of home is private. Best constructed by his own hands. Having spoken the desire aloud, he feels a little sheepish, and lets his gaze fall to the ground for a time.

“You said the infirmary?” he asks, changing the subject back to one less personally fraught. “Do you know Phoebe?” He is fairly certain Phoebe had said she was spending Longnight at the infirmary back when he helped her gather firewood. They come upon the settlement now, open fields giving way to the calmer quiet of inhabited buildings. Soon, they will likely part ways. “Do you need help?” Seiji asks, gesturing back at Isla's sled. Knowing where he supplies are headed, and knowing she shared some of her find with him, he feels he must at least offer.
The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

"You do not remember...?" Isla arched an eyebrow, not having thought about that. For people to be flung into Caido without memory or rhyme or reason as to what they were before... that would make an already difficult transition to a new world even harder. Still, Seiji seemed to be adjusting quite well, and that he knew enough about himself to want to make something was warming to hear.

Isla nodded encouragingly, smiling as his gaze flickered to the ground as if to assure him that she didn't think his idea silly. "A flute? That sounds like quite the task. At least you'll be busy through LongNight. I'm sure it will sound beautiful when it's done."

Phoebe's name left his lips and Isla's blue eyes lit up, the medic nodding to Seiji. "Yes, I do. I brought a few supplies to her clinic a few days ago, and she's coming to spend LongNight at the infirmary with me." Something that still made a twang of relief twist in her chest. The idea of the sweet girl being alone for a week or more in the dark when there were monsters about was... not pleasant.

Smiling at the offer of help, Isla politely declined with a shake of her head. "I think I can manage, but thank you. I hope you never need to drop by the infirmary to use it, but the Rathskeller is close by. Maybe you can play your flute there once it's finished, and I can come and listen?"

Seiji Okura
Musician

Change author:
S E I J I
“No.” Seiji shakes his head, rueful. “I remember some things, but not all together. Just scattered pieces.” He does not say what he does remember is mostly pleasant, a feeling of home far different from all he has experienced in Caido. He does not say he longs to return. Does not say he feels in his heart this is all a mistake, a terrible accident… No, he would never give the people of Caido such insult. But all this is true, cruelly so.

Her words are kind, and Seiji smiles in response to them. “I think it will keep me busy,” he agrees. “I have some idea, but… if the first one is bad, I’ll make another.” Easy enough. “When I have a good one, I’ll show you,” he adds, one side of his mouth quirking upward.

She declines his offer with good grace, and though he meant it truly, Seiji is a little relieved. He is eager to return home, to sleep and also to be within the safety of walls, near a strong fire. With a polite nod, Seiji says, “I will look forward to that. Be safe.” Then he turns toward the row of houses where Kiada’s residence can be found, twirling the stick between his fingers.
The rain is full
of ghosts tonight
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

"I'm sorry to hear that, Seiji," Isla said, and she meant it. She wanted to offer for him to come to the infirmary one day when he wasn't too busy, in the hope that perhaps she could examine him and see if there was any particular reason for his memory loss. But another time, perhaps. For now it was dark, it was cold, and they both had places to be that couldn't wait.

Smiling and raising a hand to say goodbye as he began to walk away, Isla nodded. "That sounds good, yes," she said. "I look forward to it. You be safe as well, okay?" Watching him meander away down the street with eyes all too accustomed to the dark, Isla waited until he was gone before she turned to head back to the Temple. Hopefully she was a little more prepared for LongNight, now. Hopefully they both were.