you're the only one who seems to care
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Maeve doesn't know how long she walks, wiping tears from her face so no one sees. Thankfully people in Torchline aren't too concerned with others when it doesn't directly involve them. She's looking for Locke and she has no idea where the fuck he is. Where his place is. She doesn't even know where to start. Which is probably how she ended up on the beach with a bottle of something strong in her hand, marching a wobbly path towards the only place she can think to go. His little hideaway. The sun is just starting to sink below the horizon, bathing the beach in golden light as the rays dance across the tops of the waves.

The alcohol burns on the way down, sour in her stomach as tear tracks dry on her cheeks left red from her tears and the lingering heat on her skin. Maeve draws her knees up, wrapping her arms around them as she brings the bottle back up to her lips, drinking deeply as she stares out at the water until her eyes sting from the sun. It does nothing to replace the ache or to stop the bleeding from wounds torn into her by Nate. She's not sure what will at this rate.
I'm undone about to burst at my seams
'Cause I am picturing you beside me
So let me be everything that you need
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
Falling farther from just what we are
She's not the only one with booze wandering down a beach. They're here for very different reasons though. Locke hasn't seen a proper Torchline sunset since he's been back and he needed to fix that. And his spot is just about as good as it gets. He spent most of the morning cleaning his apartment, getting food, the usual back to town kind of shit. Now he's ready to unwind with some booze.

Except there's someone in his spot. He takes a swig of his rum, head canted to one side as he tries to figure out who it is. Any other day and he'd be upset. At least until he realizes who it is. "Hey Babe, what're you doin' here? Wanted to watch the sunset too?" There's a playful lit to his voice as he makes his way over to her. "And a good choice of booze too. Have to let me have some." He doesn't immediately register that she's upset, not until he's sitting in the warm sand next to her.

All it takes is a sniffle and he's leaning forward to look at her. "Mae? What happened? You okay?" He brings one hand up, tentatively rubbing her back. Why does he always seem to find her upset? It wasn't something he did, right? He knows it's been a minute since they've seen each other but it hasn't been that long. Maybe it was the Halenani?
Smoke a cigarette and lie some more
These conversations kill
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

He's not the only one who doesn't recognize their partner at first. Her brows knit together as she blinks the spots from her vision, trying hard to focus on Locke as he approaches. Maeve wants to give him a smile. She wants to light up for him. She wants to do more than draw in a shaky breath and grimace, but that's all she manages as he sits down next to her. She looks over at him with red rimmed eyes and his question hits her like a punch in the gut. A sharp breath hisses through her teeth before she swallows thickly, attempting to get rid of the lump in her throat with little success. "Not really." She mumbles, fingers tightening on the bottle in her hand like it's her only life line.

Except he's here now. Maeve leans into his side without a second thought. He's warm and steady, smelling of sun and sand as her head drops against his shoulder. "I went to Jata's... Ran into Nate." His name is like ash on her tongue and she spits it out, hating the way just thinking it makes her stomach twist sharply and she thinks she might be sick. Actually sick. She can't manage to say more than that. Not about what he said to her. "I, uhm, I need a place to stay. Not.. not really welcome there."
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
He gives her the smallest quirk of his lip, one arm looping around her as she leans against him. He hates seeing her like this, hates not knowing what to do or how to help. His fingers tangle with the sleeve of her shirt, playing with it while she talks. "Oh." He says it softly, turning to look out over the water. This should be a nice moment but it's not. There's the faint clench and unclench of his jaw as he thinks before he looks down at her.

"Do you wanna stay with me? My place isn't big or fancy or anything but you can have the bed." Locke isn't against sleeping on the couch, even if he's long since outgrown it. He had thought about offering before but didn't want to feel like he was rushing her. But he'd rather that than her be sleeping out on the beach or with someone shadier. He presses a kiss to her hair, tilting his head against her's.

"Did you wanna talk about it or do you just wanna get drunk?" He can't say he's not curious. He's got no beef with either man but she's clearly upset, so maybe he does. That said, he's always down to get drunk, especially now that he can sleep in and not feel guilty.
These conversations kill
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Oh. Oh is right. It was just how she felt at the beginning of it all. Maeve sniffles, eyes squeezing shut against the sharp pain that's already pounding behind her eyes and she knows the booze won't really help, but fuck if it doesn't dull things down a bit. She feels his jaw feathering against her head, noting how many times he seems to do it, chewing on the words that come out of his mouth next like he's really thinking them over. "S'why I came here... I was looking for you, but didn't know where you lived." Maeve mumbles and she's trying hard to remember why she didn't just suggest it in the first place. Why didn't he? Surely there was a reason for it? Why they both thought it would be better for her to stay somewhere else besides with him. Maeve can't think of one now.

"Can both have the bed. Don't need to sleep somewhere else." She reaches up to wipe roughly at her eyes with her free hand as he turns to press a kiss against the top of her head and it does something to stitch her back together. Just a few sutures to stop the worst of the bleeding. Maeve shrugs her shoulders, chewing on her bottom lip as she tries hard to find the words. She's supposed to be able to tell him these things, right? That's what their relationship is now.

Maeve takes a swig of the booze, hissing as it burns the back of her throat, mixing with the acid that's already there. "Not really sure what to say about it. Except that Nate made it really clear I wasn't shit to Sunjata anymore. That I was nothing but a placeholder. A weird little girl with no right to a relationship with him." It wasn't word for word, but that was the gist of it.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
He takes a drink of his booze because he has a feeling this conversation isn't going to be fun, for either of them. There's a little hiss as it burns it's way down his throat before he shifts, pulling out a little cloth square. It's nothing fancy but it's clean. "For your face.." He's never been the best with words, but she knows that. "Yeah. Guess you never came to my place.." He always figured their relationship was more one sided than it was so why bring her back to his apartment? It's not like they saw each other outside of the Halenani except a handful of times.

"You sure? Not that I'm against sleepin' with you or anything.. I just.. Don't want to.. Push." Even if she's kind of the one suggesting all of this. He's afraid of fucking things up, of stepping over lines he's not sure about. Another drink to soothe the nervous feeling he's starting to get. He hates this. When did he get so anxious?

She talks and he finds himself watching the waves, trying to sort out his own feelings about all of this. It's not about him. It's about her. He's supposed to be here for her, right? She needs him right now. It doesn't matter how he feels about all of this. "I doubt Sunjata thinks that.. Sure, maybe you can't have the kind of relationship with him you wanted but.. Did you really thinks things would stay the same? When Nate came home?" He doesn't mean for it to sound bitter or accusatory. He's just.. Blunt.
These conversations kill
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve takes the cloth from his, using it to wipe her eyes and her nose, sniffling as she presses closer to him. It's the closest she's felt to being wanted since she got here. Part of her wishes that she just never showed up at Sunjata's doorstep this morning, but she knows better than thinking that this would be avoidable. "Thanks..." Maeve mumbles, drawing in a shaky breath, letting her eyes close for a moment and it feels like there's sand beneath her eyelids. She does her best to ignore it. "There were a lot of things I never did with you... Want to change that." There is nothing but sincerity in her voice even as it breaks, cracking as she tries to speak, forces her vocal chords to work so she might be honest with him.

"You aren't pushing... You stayed over with me before. Doesn't have to be different just cause we're together now, does it?" Except that it is different and they both know it. Different for a multitude of reasons that Maeve can't even speak on herself. It's a new experience and she's trying her best. Even with all of the hurt and heartache. It's a complex thing; trying to start a new relationship while letting go of one that could never be. Her heart hasn't caught up yet, but she's working on it. She doesn't want to feel this way about Sunjata. She doesn't want her heart to yearn for him. It's the last thing she wants right now. Locke deserves better than to deal with her hang ups about another guy.

His words sting, making little nicks of their own against her already battered emotions and she swallows thickly to keep from lashing out at him. That's the last thing she wants to do. "Of course I didn't think they would be the same. I'm not stupid, Locke. I- I knew it wouldn't be like before." The heat behind her words dies quickly, no real fight left in her after the day she's had. "I- I don't even want it to be like that. I just don't want to lose my friend and I feel like I'm going to." Maeve mumbles, shaking her head as she seems to wilt further and despite the urge to suddenly push him away, feeling raw and open and unwilling to let him poke at her, she doesn't and instead stays in his embrace. "It doesn't really matter either way. Nate made it clear that I'm to stay far away."
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
She takes the cloth from him and he doesn't say anything else. He just lets her do her thing, waiting for her to sort herself out. She curls closer to him and it helps, a little, for a moment at least. "Oh? You'll have to tell me some time." When she's not crying to him about another man. He keeps repeating to himself that he doesn't care but he does. Not that they were involved but that it wound up with her hurt. And he can't do anything to fix it because he's just Locke.

"You and I both know that it's different now." The lavender scent of her soap mixes with the smell of the ocean and it tangles up his emotions. But he holds her anyway because every time he lets her go, it hurts and he's so fucking tired of the pain. He just wishes he could do more for her. But it's not like he can go force anyone to be her friend or anything.

She bites back and he can't say he didn't expect it. What he said wasn't exactly kind. "Just give them time." He doesn't know if it will help or if it even matters. He's just.. Locke sighs softly before pulling away from her. "I don't really know what your relationship with him was really like, anyway. But it was important to you.. I can tell that much. Sometimes you have to fight for the shit you want, even if it hurts, even if you might lose, yeah? But you gotta think about how much you're willing to fight for someone who isn't going to fight for you." Who is he even talking to at this point?
These conversations kill
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

She'd rather not be crying about this at all. Of all the things Maeve wants, that's pretty high on the fucking list right now. She hates herself for it. Hates that she got so involved. Hates that Sunjata was the one who got at her heart before Locke did. She's paying for it now and Maeve will happily pay the price if it means she doesn't have these feelings for him anymore. All she wants is to be in this with Locke and she's struggling to even give him that. "Okay.. I will." Maeve agrees quietly, voice barely audible over the waves.

A sigh pushes past her lips and she nods, "I know. I just didn't want you to overthink things. I- I feel like you keep thinking you're going to do something to mess it up when in reality it's me who is messing this up." Her words aren't sharp or bitter. Just honest. Maeve forces her eyes open, looking out at the waves as her emotions churn violently inside her, not matching the calm before them. It's not lost on her what's happening right now or how unfair it is to him. How fucking selfish she's being trying to hang on to Locke while crying about Sunjata.

"I should have asked to stay with you from the beginning. I shouldn't have ever gone there. I should have just let it all go when I left for Stormbreak in the first place and I tried to, Locke. I really did. Especially once I came to talk to you and I'm trying to do that now." Her words slur a bit now that the alcohol is really kicking in, sloshing in her otherwise empty belly along with the dread that's sinking there. She's going to lose him today. She feels it in her bones. Serves her fucking right.

It feels inevitable when he draws away from her, taking the warmth of his embrace and leaving her hollow inside. New tears well up in her eyes and they aren't for Sunjata or even herself. They're for Locke and it feels like her heart is breaking again. "Yeah... Guess you're right. You don't know and maybe if you did you wouldn't be here. I had feelings for him. I wish I didn't. Wish I wasn't involved even if I did it to help. I wish that it didn't take you leaving and things that happened with him to push you and I together, but it did and I'm- I'm losing that too." A bitter laugh bubbles up in her throat and she almost chokes on it. She's not even sure what she's saying at this point, but the words are coming just as quickly as the tears slipping down her cheeks.

"I told you that you shouldn't want me, Locke... This is your sign to get the fuck out while you can. I'm not worth this." She's not worth his time or patience or kindness. She doesn't deserve any of it. Maeve doesn't deserve him. Shakily she tries to stand, wobbling dangerously as her head swims from the alcohol. She's going to make this easy for him. She'll leave. It's the least she can do.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
She's right. He shouldn't want her anymore. She keeps hurting him, slicing into his already bruised and beaten psyche. All she's done is make him wish he was a different man, one who could make her happy. But he does. He wants her so badly he can feel it in his bones. Wants her so badly he's been afraid of taking what he wants.

He turns to look at her, eyes narrowed to barely slits as he looks her over. It's anger that colors his face but not entirely at her. "You're right. I have been too afraid of fucking things up. Of being too much." The sand crunches beneath him as he makes his way over to her, straddling her legs. "That's what you want though, isn't it? The Flood? To be overwhelmed?" He probably sounds insane as he pushes her down onto the sand, hovering just inches from her face. No where to run Maeve, you have to deal with him now.

"I knew, Mae, that I wasn't your first choice. Knew that your heart belonged to another man. I thought if I stayed, if I was careful, if I was nice, that maybe one day you'd make room for me too." It drips with venom, barely a hiss over the roaring waves. He doesn't even notice them anymore. Long gone is his want of a beautiful sunset with the girl he loves. There's only anger and lust and want and need. "But the heart is a fickle little bitch, isn't it?"

His lips brush against her's, not a proper kiss in the slightest, something else. "You have to fight for what you want, Mae. But I'm not going to keep fighting if I'm only ever going to lose." Really, he just wants to know she wants him. That she'd try to get over Sunjata. He'd been apt to share before but now? When he keeps doing this to her? He hates it. Hates that he's second to a man who doesn't want her when he's right fucking here.

He pulls away, letting her arms go but not moving off of her completely. "Make your choice, Mae. Properly. Now."
These conversations kill
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

She hasn’t even managed to get her feet under her, still trying to push herself up when his eyes pin her into place like a butterfly caught under glass. There is a fire burning behind that gaze that she’s never seen before and certainly not directed at her. Her lips part to respond with words that quickly die on her tongue because he’s suddenly above her, pushing her down into the sand, crowding her space until he has her caged. His words caress across her skin, trailing like fingertips over her flesh until they seize her heart, causing it to beat rapidly, breath catching in her throat. Hazy eyes stare up at him, wide with surprise as her tongue seems to stick to the roof of her mouth, too thick for her to speak as she holds his gaze.  

The urge to look away is overwhelming. Even as tears slip down her cheeks, wetting the hair at her temples and catching in the sand that pillows her head. There is something between a sob and a protest caught in her throat, trying to claw its way up and out. She wants to tell him that he’s wrong, but he’s not. Locke saw right through her, stripping away her pretty words and leaving her with nothing but the truth. He had from the beginning. You can’t bullshit a bullshitter. Maeve’s eyes squeeze shut, a shuddering breath pushing past her lips as his skim across hers. It isn’t a kiss. She’s gotten enough of them from him at this point to know it’s not even close.

There it is. All laid out. He wants her and he’s made his demands. It shouldn’t have taken this to pull her from her head and make her see what she was going to lose. This harsh wake up call that’s filled with venom and frustration. She doesn’t blame him for it either. She deserves it. This vitriol he spits in her face, demanding answers. Demanding a choice.

Icy green eyes flash open and she sees him properly for the first time she thinks as he leans over her, filled with righteous fury at being overlooked by her. He frees her wrists and she doesn’t move, frozen in place as her chest heaves, holding his gaze with red rimmed eyes. With limbs that feel like they’re stuck in tar, struggling to move through the space that separates them, she reaches for him. Sandy fingertips slip along his cheeks, palms cupping his face as she tugs him back down to her, rising to meet him. Their lips crash in a kiss that isn’t at all gentle. There is nothing sweet about this as she desperately tries to convey the feeling his words have evoked. As she tries to show him her answer. It’s all teeth and tongue. Harsh breaths pushing out of her nose as she tastes him. Anger and booze sharp on her tongue until it’s the only thing that’s there, highlighted by the salt of her remorse.

When she can’t bear it anymore, when it feels she might pass out from the lack of breath, she pulls away from him without daring to let him go. ”You. I choose you.”
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
To say he's confused would be an understatement. He honestly thought he was being pathetic, a dog begging for a bone he'd never get. But then sandy hands are slipping into his hair and pulling him back down. The kiss tastes like booze and anger and sadness, a finality he's suddenly very afraid of. There had been some security in knowing she didn't feel for him the way he felt for her. Some kind of safety in not totally having to be there, be known. But it's too late now, they've said their words and made their choices.

She chose him. She's an idiot. She doesn't know what kind of person he is. He's been lying, playing a game he never thought he'd actually have a chance at. He takes a shaky breath as he looks down at her, searching for some kind of rejection, some kind of push back. But he doesn't find it. She's serious. She wants him. His heart is racing as the nerves bubble up in him again. The vacuum of anger is only filled by the need to get away.

His fingers dig into the sand as he forces himself to stay. It takes him a minute to gulp down the urge to run but he manages, just barely. He leans down to press another kiss to her lips, soft, proper. "I don't care if you love someone else, if you fuck someone else. Just don't let them hurt you like he has. Don't let me hurt you like he has." It's a plea, a warning, something, he's not sure.

Another breath passes and he rolls off of her, flopping into the sand before finding her hand. He laces their fingers together, trying to find some kind of connection, some kind of tether. They keep breaking everything down and rebuilding it. It might be stronger but he wonders if the cracks are growing bigger. How long before it's all just dust?
These conversations kill
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

He's not the only one confused by their partner's reaction. Maeve waits for him to say something else. To do anything else. He just looks at her, searching her face for what seems like minutes as his fingers dig into the sand beside her head. He leans down, pressing a tender kiss against her lips and she barely has the chance to respond before he's pulling away. Green eyes blink up at him, brows knitting together as his words wash over her and she finally nods, "Okay." Maeve murmurs, dropping her hands from his face just before he rolls onto his back, the anger from before having melted away and seeming to leave him exhausted.

She lays there, staring up at the sky as it shifts from pink to orange and his fingers find hers, lacing them together to hold onto her like she might drift away if he doesn't. Maeve gives them a gentle squeeze, drawing in a breath that fully expands her lungs as they both come down from that emotional high. She's not sure how long they lay there in silence, the gentle breeze drying her tears and calming her racing heart, but finally she finds her voice again. "Do you want to go home?" Maeve murmurs, voice hoarse and sounding nothing like her own, "Do you want me to find somewhere else to stay?" She's not sure it really matters where she stays at this point, but she doesn't want to crowd his space if he doesn't really want her there.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
The sand is warm, even as the sun sets and its what keeps him here instead of entirely drowning in his thoughts. He's not sure how long they lay their, hands twisted together. His mind races with all the ways he's fucked this up. She picked him and he immediately panicked. It wasn't fair to her and it's not what he wants for himself. He starts to smooth his finger over her's, trying to find words.

She finds her's first and he gets that knotted feeling in his belly again. After all of that, does she think he doesn't want her? "We can go home.. You can stay with me.. Want you to." He turns to look at her, dark hair sprawled out on the pale sand. All things considered, she looks beautiful, bathed in the pink haze of sunset. He inhales softly, biting his lip.

"My place isn't very nice, just so you know.. I wasn't really expecting to come back so I got rid of most of my stuff." Or that's his excuse anyway.
These conversations kill