Recommended Discussion
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Online
Change author:
MP: 3345

"If I can't move the heavens above, I will move Hell"

Sah's neighbor had suggested that he explore the Greatwood when he mentioned wanting to see more of Caido. Actually suggest was a weak word. She had all but ordered him to go, even insisting that he make sure that he stopped by a specific witch's place. Someone by the name of Vervain? Sah wasn't sure what he had done but his sweet older neighbor seemed convinced that this was almost life and death. He heard her mumble "Gods give that boy some therapy", as he left. Sah had no idea what she meant, or what 'therapy' was, but he was eager to explore the forests of the Greatwood anyway. And so he decided to abide by her wishes and go.

Upon arriving, he had no trouble finding his way to Vervain's place. All he had to mention was her name and the citizens pointed him in the right direction. Sah  had no idea just what he had gotten himself into but letting out a sigh, he knocked on the door. "Uh. Hello. Someone recommended I come talk to you?" Why am I here?

sah
There stood the wolf in the winter wind
Full of fearsome might
King of the winter night.
-Tim Vallie

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Vervain
Indeed, Sah. Why are you here? Let's find out.

He will find his way easily to Vervain's cottage; it's a pretty little thing cloaked by some trees and surrounded by a garden of flowers, vegetables and herbs, all of which are in full bloom beneath the canopy of the Longheat woods. The forest is alive around him as he approaches, and if there's a bear lurking in the woods as well? It's fine, Sah. Honest.

"They did? How peculiar." Vai's voice echoes out to him before she opens the door, and when she does it's with a warm smile. All dark, messy curls and with a streak of flour on her cheek, she beckons him inside. "Hello," she greets. "I'm Vervain, but you can call me Vai. How can I help you?"
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

Sah eyed the woman in front of him curiously as he stepped inside. The streak of flour made a small smile come to his face but he didn't comment on it. Between the flour and her warm smile, he felt some of his nerves dissipating.

"Thank you. I'm Sah. Nice to meet you." He returned just as warmly while glancing around curiously.  "I'm really not sure to be honest. My neighbor, a sweet old lady, she said that I had to come here? When I was leaving she whispered something about 'therapy' under her breath?" He made finger quotations around the word therapy, the look on his face is one of genuine confusion and curiosity. "I'm not sure what that is, but she seemed to think that I need it?"

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Vervain
"Nice to meet you as well," Vai says with a soft smile, tilting her head a little to hear why he's come to her door and at whose behest. Therapy, huh? Her smile turns a little wry at that, but she stands back regardless and beckons him inside. "Therapy is just a fancy way of saying conversation," she says smoothly. "At least that's how I see it. Come on in - I was just making bread. Do you want to help?"

Indeed, it looks as though Vai is just in the middle of kneading the dough so it can be left to prove; before she goes back to it, though, she moves to hang her tea kettle over the stove. "Where are you from, Sah? I hope you haven't had to travel too far to come just to see me."
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

"A fancy conversation?" He was already lost. Sah perked up at the idea of helping out however and followed Vai in. He'd been enjoying testing out his new oven back home and the idea of learning how to bake bread greatly appealed to him. "I'd love to. What do I need to do?"

Sah responded to her questions as she hung the kettle. "I'm an Outlander, but I'm living in Halo now. And it's a bit far, but I was already planning to head out here anyway. My neighbor just insisted that I stop by to see you on my way. I originally came up here to explore the forest. I've only been here for a few months so I'm still making my way around Caido." The canine was eager to explore the Greatwood, having heard intriguing stories from those that had ventured through its wilderness. "The Greatwood seemed like a nice break from civilization too." There was audible relief in his voice. Although Sah had grown to love Halo, civilization in general was still so new to him, and still somewhat overwhelming.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
"Mm, therapy is just a word for talking about the things that are bothering you with someone who's a good listener. So I suppose I should take it as a compliment." Vai grins across at him, beckoning him closer once the kettle has been hung over the fire to boil. "Alright, so the dough is already made up. You just need to knead it so it gets soft and stretchy. The flour is already down, so go right ahead." Stepping back, Vai is happy to watch and to supervise.

Halo certainly is quite far - Vai hasn't even been there herself, though it kindles something excitable in her to know that her reach apparently goes that far. "The Greatwood is a wonderful break from civilisation," she agrees with a somewhat wistful smile. "But if you do crave company, there are a couple of villages you can stop by. What made you want to get away, though? Is Halo quite busy?" she asks.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

When Sah said he wanted to help, he did  not expect to be just left to it. He'd never kneaded bread before. He had a vague idea of what he needed to do so he just went for it.  Sah eyed the bread with furrowed brows, slightly biting his lip.  He set about doing his very best to knead the dough. It wasn't a horrific failure but he was surely using too much force, making the dough stretch just a bit too unevenly.

Sah sighed before answering Vai's questions. "From what I've been told, Halo isn't busy. I just don't have any experience with human civilization. It's all so new so even quiet Halo can be overwhelming." He paused for a moment, debating on how much he wanted to reveal. But his sweet neighbor seemed to think that this was necessary. And she had been nothing but kind to Sah so far. Leaving casseroles at his door and bringing him basic necessities he didn't realize he needed. And so he would trust her judgment. Deciding to go for it he continued, his voice quieter. "I was a magical beast in my world before it ended. So it's not just human civilization that's new. Being human is new."

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
"It's okay," Vai reassures him with a soft laugh, able to sense the awkwardness in his actions. "There's no wrong way to do it when you're practicing - it'll taste good either way." But she still rescues him, stepping up beside him and dividing the dough into two portions so they can both work at it. "Like this," she shows him, pressing and kneading it in smooth movements.

His remarks have a brow raising, the witch noting human in his words and already guessing at what might come next. Vai lets out a long sigh, nodding to him. "I'm very sorry to hear that, about your world," she murmurs. "It can be hard for any Outlander, to be thrown somewhere new, without everything else along with it. How have you found it, being here? Being as you are...?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah felt relief when Vai stepped in. Even if she said that the bread would still come out ok, he wasn't sure if he believed it. Tilting his head slightly he focused on her movement as she kneaded the dough. Once he thought he understood the concept, he returned to his own portion. Sure enough, this time the process was a lot smoother and the dough seemed less like it was being beaten up.

At her inquires, Sah frowned slightly. "It's been...difficult. Beyond the culture shock, just adjusting to this body and its weaknesses has been a challenge. I'm far weaker here, in both strength and magic, then I was back at home, something I keep having to remind myself." He paused for a moment, having to focus on the bread for a second as he worked. "I've made a few tentative friends but its not the same as my pack. Humans hold each other at a greater distance then my kind. Less affectionate with each other, especially in terms of physical affection. Or maybe I just haven't been accepted into any inner circles so to speak." His tone grew quiet, almost hollow. "I'm not used to being so alone." Sah had never lived alone or gone longer then a few days without the physical comfort and companionship of a packmate. So being an independent human was a stark and unwelcome change.

Sah let out a sigh, a dry smile coming to his lips. "But having thumbs has been a fun change."

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
Once they are done kneading the dough, Vai plonks both pieces in a bowl and covers them with a sheet, before putting it somewhere warm to prove. "When we check on this later, you won't believe how big it is," she tells Sah with a grin, straightening up just in time for the kettle to start whistling. "The tea is peppermint - is that alright?" she asks as she moves to retrieve it and listen as he speaks.

It's a sad and sweet smile that crosses her face to hear him, the witch pouring their tea and leaving it to steep as she turns back to face him. "I wonder why you were not Attuned when you were placed here," she remarks. "At least - I assume you aren't?" He hadn't made mention of any animal shift. "People tend to express their closeness with words, rather than physical affection, at least until they are intimate, or part of a family. That isn't always the case, of course, but it is a rule that a lot of people follow."

Sighing, Vai moves to set their teacups down at the table, inviting him to come and sit with her. "At least you can find the positives," she says with a soft laugh.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah eyed the bread skeptically. "Alright then." He  wasn't sure how much bigger the bread could get  Does it expand or something? He was about to ask when the tea went off. "Peppermint? That's the stuff that makes your mouth feel cold right? I love that stuff." He replied eagerly as he followed her to the table.

Vai's questions, made Sah sigh as he leaned back on his heels. "I've questioned that myself. Why am I an Abandoned? I think it was a toss-up. Either I kept my wolf-like form or I kept my lightning. My best guess is that because my species doesn't exist here, but lightning magic does, that that was the determining factor. My physical form had to change anyway, Abandoned or Attuned, and since my true form wasn't an option even for a shift, I kept my magic." Sah did his best to explain the conclusion he had come to after many nights spent awake and wondering, gesturing as he spoke. "That and..." His voice grew quiet one more, his hands falling to his sides. "Your gods didn't intentionally bring me here. The portal did out of random chance. I guess your gods didn't want me here anyway so they Abandoned me when I arrived. Either that or they hated that I was loyal to a god of my world." Sah's hands clenched slightly before he let out a long breath, forcing himself to relax. "At least, that's the best I can come up with. I'd likely ask if I wasn't convinced I'd be cursed or killed just for approaching one of their shrines."

Sah listened intently as Vai explained the particulars of human affection. He felt his heart sink slightly as it began to dawn on him that  what he needed and had grown up almost expecting, was something that was so far out of his reach. "I see." He said after a pause, his voice hollow. Sah sat down when prompted, his hands cupping his glass. The warmth was soothing and after a hard swallow, he was able to give a small grin in response. "I try."

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
"Mmhm, that's the stuff." Vai smiles to him, sliding his cup across to him and wrapping her hands around her own to warm her fingers while she waits for it to be cool enough to drink. Sah begins to speak, then, and the witch settles down to listen before she furrows her brow. "Only one goddess is responsible for you being here," she corrects, "and it's no accident. The Voice and... whatever it is that pulls people through is the one who does this. It isn't anything personal, how we end up. I was a magic user in my old world, so it makes sense that I remained one here."

None of that particularly helps when it comes to how he's feeling, though, and Vai reaches out to let her hand rest over Sah's, as if to offer some small amount of comfort. "You might get yourself a companion, though, if you're lucky," she says. "It isn't the same as human contact, it's true, but it will certainly stop you from feeling lonely."
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah nodded, soothed slightly by Vai's words. It was nice to know that his situation wasn't personal, but at the same time it stirred a bit of anger. The gods, the Voice, had done this. Without his consent, without any input. And although he was so so thankful to be alive, the abrupt change was hard.

Sah nearly jumped out of his skin when Vai put her hand on his, so unused to contact nowadays. But he didn't remove his hand. Instead, Sah relaxed, the tension bleeding out of him. The small physical comfort more effective on him then any words could be. And the idea of a companion? Fuck he wanted one. The idea had never really crossed his mind, but he could get a dog? Maybe a wolf? He could have a packmate again? The thought made his chest ache like nothing else. "I think I'd really like that." He stated simply, his voice cracking slightly.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
"Normally wanting it is enough," she murmurs, smiling to him gently and giving his hand a squeeze where she's clasped it. "Perhaps you might even find a friend here in the Greatwood, mm? There are a lot of places here that you could find a companion."

Her smile grows a little more playful, her hand slipping away so they might enjoy their tea. "In fact," she says, "if you like, you can meet mine before you go exploring further."

Vai takes an experimental sip of her tea - and as if hearing their conversation, a small creature unwinds itself from an overhead beam and trills down at them both. "That's Coco," the witch explains. "She's a cloud wyrm. You find them a lot in Torchline."