{SE} Battle in the Snow Open
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3345

"If I can't move the heavens above, I will move Hell"

It was bizarre. Halo seemed to come alive in the slightly warmer weather. There was still ice, snow, and biting winds, but there were more people out and about. The few glimpses of smiles Sah had come to know seemed to be appearing more often. It was interesting and the cheer was almost infectious. He was pulled out of his thoughts when a stray snowball hit him in the back.

Whipping around, Sah a group of pups chasing each other and throwing snowballs. Seemed like the attack on him had been an accident given one pup's sheepish grin. Giving a small shrug, Sah reached down and grabbed a handful of snow. With a small smirk, he sent it gently at the kid who ducked out of the way with a giggle. However, someone else walking by was not so lucky. The snowball hit the stranger in the shoulder and Sah found himself cringing internally. "Ah. Oops?" The few pups around chuckled at his misery while Sah cursed internally.

sah
There stood the wolf in the winter wind
Full of fearsome might
King of the winter night.
-Tim Vallie

Aino Jandar
Soldier

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8 in (175cm) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 2 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
AINO

There she was, going about her day. Lugging fish. Shoveling snow. When suddenly someone has the audacity to thunk her with a snowball.

Slowly, ominously, the blonde woman turned to stare at the reckless youth. Then the giggles of other children made her turn on them, which made them grow very quiet, very quickly. Blue eyes narrowed, and with something deliberate over her movements, Aino set her shovel aside. Leaning down, she scooped up a big handful of snow, and started to pack it together. "One," she started to count, in a tone that sent the younger kids squealing and laughing in every direction. "Two," she added, and twisted the big snowball apart in her hands. "Three!"

And with that, she aimed a projectile straight at Sah. It flew quickly, and with purpose, and would thump very thoroughly if it landed where intended.

A wide grin split the woman's face then, when it finally became impossible to stay serious anymore.
For the good times that we share,
and the bad times that we'll have
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

Sah felt a shiver go down his spine at the women's stare. At first he was worried about an actual fight breaking out. But soon a small grin came to his face when it was clear that she was planning on retaliating only with snow. As the pups ran, giggling still, Sah braced himself. With the ample warning of a countdown, Sah had no trouble dodging the snowball as it came sailing towards him. Quirking an eyebrow at the women, he grabbed a handful of snow and packed it into a ball. With a small smirk, Sah sent it right back at the stranger.

"Does this mean war?" He called out playfully, struggling not to laugh.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Aino Jandar
Soldier

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8 in (175cm) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
AINO

The boy was a quick one, she'd give him that. Good reflexes. But she had those too, and spun out of the way with a soldier's practiced grace. "Oh, it most certainly does!" she replied, and flashed a crooked smirk at him. Right before the snowball was lobbed in his direction.

Then they were both unarmed, and it became a race to see who would form the ultimate snowball first. Aino cheated, hers was up and flying in a matter of seconds; hardly packed at all, with plenty of loose snow that would surely fly all over and find its way in beneath collars and hems, to melt and trickle unpleasantly down beneath the layers.

But such was war; unfair.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah laughed now that the game of war was set. "Bring it!" Rushing to reload, Aino's improvised snowball hit Sah square in the chest, its loose form collapsing. Sure enough, snow got under his shirt, making him squirm slightly. The loose powder both a shock against his skin as well as slightly tickling. But Sah recovered quickly, finishing up the snowball he had been making. With a solid throw, he sent the snow right back to her.

The pups around them had also resumed their own fight. The two adults would have to bear in mind stray snowballs coming from multiple directions. Seems like the battleground had become all the more precarious.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

Seeing the snowball make its mark had the woman whooping with glee, smug as a bug. Unfortunately, she was not above celebrating even the small victories, and this was about to become her undoing. While she pirouetted in triumph, the damned kids took the opportunity to gather ammunition, and by the time Aino noticed their hungry eyes upon her, it was too late.

Sah's snowball was only the first. It was elegantly deflected by a raised arm - a shield in hand would have made it a clean save - but the five projectiles that followed after found their marks. One in the leg, one at her back, two in the chest, and the final one clocked her right on the side of the head.

With a groan like a dying Frost Giant, the former soldier pretended to teeter and stagger, arms dramatically splayed as she quite deliberately collapsed into a nearby pile of snow. The overexcited children took this as an invitation, and charged; the snowball fight was quickly turning into a wrestling match, and Aino was clearly outnumbered. "Yield! I yield!" she pleaded, reaching out a hand from beneath the ingratitude of children to beseech her sworn foe for aid.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah burst out laughing as the pups unexpectedly backed him up. "Good job!" Giving out high-fives and hair ruffles, the young man made his way over to Aino. Glancing down at his conquered foe with a grin, he waved the pups off, having to physically pick up and remove some of the more stubborn ones. Shooing them off while still laughing, he helped Aino up.

"You put up a valiant fight." He started dramatically, making the pups laugh. "But I believe this victory belongs to me." Sah declared, only to snicker at the young disgruntled faces around him. "Us." He amended before cracking a grin and dissolving into more laugher. The pups around the two adults were giggling along. "Good fight though. You throw a mean snowball. I'm Sah. Nice to meet you." He introduced himself with an easy grin.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

Five children was a surprisingly heavy burden when stacked on top of the lungs. Aino breathed a deep sigh of relief, and let herself be dragged up on her feet with a few grudging mutters that were only partly feigned. "Yes yes, good fight. Well done. But I know fer a fact that you and you," she said pointing at two of the older children, "are s'pposed to work with your masters right now. And you three," she added, fixing piercing blue eyes upon the remainders whose smiles were quickly starting to sour, "ought to be havin' lessons with the elders." There were protests, loud and pitiful, but Aino was merciless. "I will not hear it!" she said. "Off with the lot of ye!"

She watched, hands on hips as the merry bunch wilted and bled away in different directions, careful to conceal her smile until they couldn't see her anymore. Then the stern look melted into one of warmth, and it lingered as she turned on the remaining young man.

"Aino Jandar," she introduced herself, with an outstretched hand. "Good meeting you as well. Haven't seen you around before; you an Outlander, friend?" Her gaze was direct as she looked him up and down, and seemed to miss nothing.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah stifled his laughter as the pups were sent off. A few gave him pleading looks, as if begging him to intervene. But he simply shook his head and shooed them off with his hands. "Go on. You heard her." Most went on their way but Sah noticed one pup obviously trying to sneak away. With a chuckle, he gently grabbed them by the back of their  jacket. "Wrong way brat." The pup huffed but continued in the correct direction afterwards. Sah gave a small chuckle under his breath as the pups ran off.

"Aino, huh?" Sah returned the hand-shake when it was offered. He tilted his head slightly at her clear assessment of him. "Yes, I'm an Outlander. I've been in Caido for just a few months now. Still adjusting if how obvious I am says anything." Sah turned a critical eye on Aino. "You're a warrior of some kind. Born in Halo?"

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

Aino nodded with quiet approval at the way Sah handled the children. No nonsense, kind but firm; it said more about him than he might be aware of. She did nothing to step in, and simply waited until there were no more distractions before continuing the conversation. "Nah, you blend in well," she offered, in a tone that was meant to be complimenting. "It's the way you talk that gave it away. Give it another half turn and ye'll be good as natural." And of course, the fact that this town was not so big that anyone could live a life without recognizing the face of everyone else. It had been the way of things, until the portal opened and the outlanders came flooding.

Brushing the snow off her coat before it could start to melt under the dazzling sunlight, Aino reached for the shovel. The way she let it rest over the shoulder - like an unwieldy spear - offered fodder for the boy's suspicions, and she nodded. "Born and raised. Been a soldier since I was old enough to pick up a sword," she confirmed. "Family matters have me on extended leave, fer now." Nothing in her smiling face shifted, and the only giveaway that this did not please her was a tightening around the eyes, like a sudden glint of steel.
"Are ye all settled in? Spirits know, I can always use more hands if you need a job. "
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah nodded, glad that he wasn't standing out as much as he used to. He still got stares every once in a while, but nowhere near as bad as when he first arrived. And nowhere near as incredulous. Seems he was beginning to pass as human. Sah listened intently as Aino continued her introduction. He wasn't surprised to hear that she was a soldier. The woman carried herself in a manner similar to the others he'd seen at the barracks. A quiet confidence surrounded her, the same he'd seen back home in many warriors. The same he saw in the mirror.

Sah's brows furrowed slightly at the mention of family. Stars above, I miss them. Aino's question brought him out of his stupor before he could fall into recollection. "Ah, yes. More or less. I've taken to being a hunter for now. Deimos has been helping me train as well with both a sword and my magic. It's all...very new. But I'm settling in. If I ever need a more stable job, I'll let you know." A grateful smile followed his words. The generosity and openness to aid others that Sah found in Halo would never cease to amaze him.

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

The admission of holding magic within brought on a new scrutiny, as Aino reassessed the young man. "Magic user, eh?" she mumbled - there was no judgement, only interest. "What's yer poison?" That he was close to the new general was something worth noting, even if she never met the man herself.

As for the gratitude, it was waved off with a charming smile that quirked her mouth aside, and brought dimples to life in the woman's cheeks. "None of that, youngling. Taking care a' one 'nother is just how things are done 'ere. Hunting is a good choice; better than fish." The last was said dryly, with a roll of the eyes that was both humorous and exasperated at once.

Hoisting the shovel, Aino turned back to continue what she had been doing. Yet there was no dismissal in the way she turned her back; if the young man wished to keep talking, she could chat and shovel snow at the same time.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:

Sah shrugged. "Just minor lightning and telekinesis. Both are pretty weak still." He grumbled, the fact that his magic was so much more powerful before Caido still irked him. But hopefully with his constant training he'd get back to the level of mastery that he was used to.

Aino's smile was infectious and Sah found himself grinning a well. "Still, I appreciate it." He found himself quirking an eyebrow at her change in tone. Sah felt like he'd missed an inside joke almost.  "I'm sensing a story here. What's so bad about fishing? I prefer hunting as well, but fishing is still useful." Her expression surely wasn't just from a preference of taste?

sah
Full of fearsome might
-Tim Vallie

Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

She nodded. "Useful abilities both, if you can find ways to apply them," she acknowledged. "Better than mine; life drain only serves one purpose." Snow began to fly through the air as Aino returned to the task of clearing the road. One patient shovel-full at a time, that did nothing to keep her from conversing.

"Bah, there's nothin' wrong with it," she gruffed as the youth got curious. "Is just not what I want to be doin', is all. Family comes first, though, that's how it's supposed to be, and sometimes my 'fun' has to wait." There was a clang as the shovel struck ice, and there was some muttered curses as she focused on dislodging the frozen clump from the path.

"My mum can't walk," she elaborated, once the clump was safely deposited away where no one could stumble over it. "The roof fell on her when Eirachi blew up the Palace, and I'm the only family who can care for her right now. I have nieces... but they're a bit young still to carry that responsibility."  She said it matter-of-factly, as if the emotions connected to the event had long since dried up and withered.