my only guiding light
Safrin
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Seren

It was quiet. Rain pattered softly against green leaves as Seren made her way through the Celestine, towards the shrine. The city beyond lay blanketed in a gray fog that chased all but the most determined revelers off the streets, and lent a cozy ambience to the marble city that would have been better suited for Leafchange. But the change in weather was welcome, no matter how temporary.

Carrying her drowsy companion beneath the lapel of her uniform, Seren kicked off the shoes as she reached her destination. Barefoot, heedless of the damp ground or the strands of grass that got stuck on her feet, she looked around. Took in the beauty of the secluded area, the well-tended flowers and the little gifts left behind by worshippers. It was lovely; far more to her liking than the pompus grandeur of the Temple.

"Mother?" she said softly, and brushed away a coil of damp hair from the cheek. "Is this a good time? There is someone I would like you to meet."

For Safrin <3
I'm ready to start the conquest of spaces
Reaching the starlight and silver fields
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Safrin
The evening air darkens beneath the sweetly-scented downpour of rain. Barefoot as well, Safrin appears with a smile firmly on her lips. "My beautiful, beautiful star." She gushes, stepping from a froth of starlit breezes that dissipate and yet cling around her body, forming into warm pink lace. Of course she is more than aware of the dragonling hidden beneath the folds of Seren's fabric, but just like parent's who remain wide-eyed with surprise on Christmas mornings, so too does the goddess play the role of the ignorant observer.

For any upon the various pathways that lead throughout the Celestine, they will find their efforts thoroughly obfuscated should they attempt to make their way to the shrine. This is a moment between mother and daughter; everyone else can wait.
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Seren

Never for a moment did she doubt that Safrin would hear her. No amount of rain could cloud the skies enough that her whispers would not slip through. Yet Seren was still relieved when the world around her changed and her mother emerged to stand before her. The onslaught of emotions she felt upon seeing the familiar serene smile was enough to bring tears to her eyes. Seren fought them back. Smiled, even as she breathed down a sniffle - not a sob - and fumbled with bandaged hands to uncover her surprise.

"Look. I've found a friend," she breathed, as the hatchling raised a midnight blue head to blink drowsily at the goddess. "His name is Umbra." Glancing up, she watched expectantly for a reaction. This was a bit overdue - she had asked for this so very long ago - but now it was done. Her very first quest had been successful.

It was worth celebrating, even in the light of more recent events.
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Safrin
'Oh my sweet girl," Safrin breathes, tugging her daughter into her arms but not before frowning deeply at the burns hidden beneath bandages. "It was so very sweet of you to try and protect that unicorn." The goddess murmurs softly, taking Seren's hands into her own such that they began to glow. Instantly, all the pain her daughter had been feeling would utterly disappear, and beneath the strips of cloth, her hands would be healed.

"Beautiful." She croons, turning her attention now to Umbra. Reaching down to softly press the tip of her finger between the dragon's eyes and letting it trail back, Safrin smiles fondly before turning to wink at her child. "You two will go on great adventures together. I can already tell."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

The dragon's responding croon was soft and sweet, and he closed his eyes in quiet contentment under Safrin's touch. He agreed, and the girl had to huff a quiet laugh at the notion of adventure. They probably would not have to go far to find it; every day had been a journey since she came back to Caido.

Her smile flickered and faltered when her hands were healed. The pain had, in a way, been a buffer against the distress in her heart. As the discomfort bled away, there was no longer anything to shield her from the reality of what she had seen, and done. And failed to do.  

Oh. Oh, to heck with keeping a brave face. It had been a good attempt, but all that crumbled when Safrin put her arms about her. A soft sound, somewhere between a whimper and a sob broke from her as Seren buried her face against the goddess' shoulder. Umbra twisted in her arms, stretched and hauled himself up onto her shoulder so that she was free to sling her arms around her mother. "I was not fast enough," she breathed, as pain and tears spilled down her cheeks. "If only I had been there sooner... I wanted to do so much more, to help."

Change author:
Safrin
"It's alright my sweet one. You can let it out." Safrin's fingers comb through her daughter's dark hair. "This is a lesson best learned early." She croons as her fingertips leave starlit constellations along her daughter's skin that fade after a few moments. "You will not be able to save everyone, nor should you. Death is a part of life. Grieve for those who have been lost, but never blame yourself."

Her fingers trace patterns down her daughter's back as she holds her. Though Safrin is usually want to appear lithe and petite, there is nothing boney or lacking in real estate for Seren to cling to. Such is one of the goddess's many glamours, that she is always the perfect size and shape.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Melancholy did not come naturally to the starchild, nor was it common for her to brood over mistakes. But this grief was sharp and still fresh, and in her mother's arms it was easier to permit herself this lapse and set aside all laughter and smiles. For a time, they were traded in for tears and sobs that shook her slender shoulders, and a bit of wallowing in the ugly memories. Fire and smoke and the death of beauty spilled forth alongside anger and frustration over not understanding why. Why did it come to this? Why had blood been spilled, lives cut short and complications allowed to cast shadows over her beautiful, fun-filled homeland? She did not understand.

Gradually the worst of the pain eased, and the tears abated. Sniffling, so that she wouldn't dribble snot over her mother's lovely gown, Seren turned her head and rested a cheek against Safrin's shoulder, as fingers played with the soft tips of her night-dark hair. "Who should I save, Mother?" she asked in a quiet murmur. "There seems to be so many who need help. The Abandoned... I keep thinking I want to do something for them. Anyone I meet, too." It felt wrong, that so many should suffer so much, on the account of so few. Of only one, in truth. But what could she do? Her conversation with Deimos had made it sound as though an attempt might only make things worse.

Change author:
Safrin
Seren's tears do not stain Safrin's gown. Instead, they turn to pearls of starlight that weightlessly fall before disappearing with puffs of petrichor and lilac. "In the end, you will never be able to save anyone my sweet girl." The goddess explains. "Everyone will die. You can only prolong the inevitable, and even then, such is not for the likes of you to decide when a life should be spared." Vi, Safrin, and now Seren, all stood at the beginning of life. Heralding and breathing it into being. What happened next they could only ever influence.

"The abandoned are what they are. Born with souls already tinged with madness and darkness. Sometimes there are those who can be made light again, but for the majority, there is simply nothing that can be done." Only certain souls could be split and endure the duality of being hybrids. Most, could crumble beneath the effort it took to maintain such a delicate balance.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Frowning softly, it was a struggle for the girl to come to terms with this. That anything she did would be in vain. How easy it would be to decide that life then must be something futile and not worthwhile - if it always ended, then what could be the point? - but while her mind touched upon the thought it was quickly discarded. It could never be pointless, when it was this sweet, this beautiful.

Yet... "If I am not meant to save them, then what am I meant to do?" she asked. Straightening up, Seren wiped the traces of grief from her eyes and gazed quizzically up at her mother. Sought the goddess and the Herald in her, as if her own purpose could be scryed in Safrin's eyes. "Is there a purpose, or was I made... just for fun?" There would be no blame from her side if that was the case, of course. To exist simply because her mother wished it would still be reason enough, and she did not discount the possibility of this being the case. Still... "I want to make you proud, Mother. What can I do that will be of help to you?"

A blue shadow wound himself around Seren's legs, and peered up at the goddess with a throaty warble. Umbra too wanted to know; did their adventures have a destination, yet?

Change author:
Safrin
"To help them, my love." Safrin replies, beaming down at her child. As she asks if she was made for fun, the goddess's head immediately shakes a very firm and decisive no. "Death comes easily. Those you encounter in your life? They are able to kill without thought. From burning down forests to taking the lives of each other. Some do so indiscriminately, and some with conviction. But not all are capable of bringing beauty and light where they go." Reaching out a hand that she might softly let one of her fingers caress Seren's cheek, Safrin's head tilts knowingly to the side. "But you can."

Gazing down at Umbra, Safrin chuckles before her galactic stare returns to her daughter. "With the war looming on the horizon, many will lose themselves into dark times and dark thoughts. Knowledge, art, music, beauty will all cease to have meaning with so many focused on death and destruction. I have Ronin to do my fighting, and perhaps a few others as well.

But you?

I have you to inspire hope and awe. To bring light wherever you go. To find knowledge long lost that should no longer stay buried."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

It was so much more than she had hoped. Not a burden, but a weight all the same. Of understanding, of expectation and purpose. It settled over her like a robe might, silken and soft, until Seren felt truly comfortable - perhaps for the first time since her return to the mortal world. There had been a sense of reaching in everything she did up until now. Fumbling hands grasping for hold, testing and trying, like a toddler might put everything in the mouth just to try. Likely that would not stop after a single conversation, but at least Seren might be less inclined to force herself into doing things that felt wrong, merely for the sake of it.

She leaned her cheek against Safrin's gentle caress, her smile soft and awed. Though overwhelmed was perhaps the better choice of word, and in her struggle to comprehend her mother's vision and all the possible paths to reach that goal, the starchild fell back on humor to take the edge off. "It seems I have a long way to go, before I can inspire to more than laughter," she murmured, amused by a moment of insight. "Though perhaps that is a good start? If people are on the ground, writhing with mirth, they are less likely to hurt themselves. Or others."

Watching the stars in Safrin's eyes, her thoughts kept spinning. Straining, reaching. Snagged, over and over, on a topic that remained as an obstacle no matter how she tried to think around it. She breathed in, then sighed and twisted where she stood. Squirmed, before she could get the words out.

"Mother... I used a Portal. I am sorry." There, it was said. And before the storm broke over her, if it would, she hurried on. "Caido is so big, and so beautiful! I want to see all of it, and learn all I can. But there are places I cannot reach on my own feet, and I don't want to use... the.. eh... yeah." Why was it harder to say it the second time? Maybe because she had the image of repeatedly poking a stick into a beehive. "Do... you think I could maybe have a skyboat? Or at least learn how to captain one?"

And then Seren held her breath, not sure whether to expect a storm or a black hole or - even worse - cold disappointment. After all that radiant love and tenderness, it would be like a bucket of ice water; but she was ready. Probably.

Change author:
Safrin
'Perhaps. But you are still very young my lovely star, with a long life ahead of you." There was no need for perfection now, no need to even aim close. "Perhaps...there is something I might offer you in the way of a direction though. Knowledge has ever been something I covet in this world, but when it is too easily attained it...loses some of its glamour. There is beauty in discovery, wouldn't you agree?" Smiling, Safrin moves to smooth down her daughter's hair. "For decades and decades, the Sea of Glass has been frozen. Thick enough to walk upon without fear of slipping through...but buried beneath is a great treasure indeed if only one could reach it..." Smiling, Safrin shrugs a touch coyly at her daughter's side. "Perhaps you and are father might try your hand at finding your way through?"

The conversation turns, and though Safrin's expression doesn't change necessarily, her eyes darken with disappointment. "I know." She says with a soft hum, both in response to the size of Caido as well as her daughter's transgressions. "But you must never again. The Voice can learn things about you, each time you step into a portal. One day she might even be able to control those who use them." Cupping Seren's face in her hands, Safrin fixes her daughter with a stare. "You must promise me that you will never step into one again."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

A shudder passed through Seren at the thought of stepping into that white void, only to step out... different. It played into every fear she had of losing her freedom. Nor did the idea of being spyed on appeal in the slightest. The space between had been creepy enough without this possibility... now it was downright terrifying. Dry at the mouth she moistened her lips and nodded solemnly betwen Safrin's hands. "I promise, Mother. I will never set foot in one of her portals again. Not for any reason." Never again would she use convenience as an excuse. Even without a shyship, even if it took months... "I promise." The second time around, the vow was as much to herself.

Drawing in a deep breath, tension bled from her shoulders. Keeping things to herself and carrying guilt was really uncomfortable. Having spoken of it, everything felt so much better. From the rain to the scents of summer, to the familiar chafe of cloth against the skin.

Slowly, a smile grew back onto pursed lips. There was adventure to be had. Secrets under the Sea of Glass? How curious, that she would joke about melting the ice of the inland sea only for this to happen. "I imagine we would need ways to breathe under water," she mused aloud, with glittering eyes. "And some way to resist the cold. I definitely want to try. Father did say I only had to ask..." And she did look forward to a chance to see Halo again.

Change author:
Safrin
Safrin nods, and all traces of her disappointment and fleeting anger vanish. "A skyboat might do...but then again so might a cloud, or a Star. Perhaps even your secret little world could open up on new lands?" So much was possible, and even more so for Safrin's own daughter.

Chuckling under her breath, Safrin shrugs her shoulders with intentional vagueness. "Perhaps. Your father knows all about breathing beneath the waters. As for cold, hmmmm. An interesting question. You might also consider all of Halo's dangers as well. I'm sure whatever you use will draw quite the crowd, not all of whom are friendly." Ursurs, cannibals, cultists. Dragons.