(o) not according to plan
open
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1917
MAEA

The cool, quiet dark engulfed her as she emerged from the void. A faint pop spread like a whisper down the stone corridors as her appearance disrupted the air molecules. But that was the only warning to alert anyone of her presence.

Burned hands were clutched gingerly to her chest as Maea hurried deeper into the Fingers. She knew of several pools where water sloshed and churned, blessedly cold and rarely touched by sun. Maybe that would stop the burning in her palms. She had yet to actually look at the injuries, but she did not think them life-threatening. Only debilitating. Uncomfortable, and jarring.

Strange, how quickly one became accustomed to new situations. In the beginning she had hated the lack of pain. Now... No.

No, she still hated it.

The path began to slope downwards under her feet. As the sound of rushing water grew stronger, she picked up the pace. When the dense dark of the tunnels faded into a murky gray of indirect light, she all but flung herself over the edge and into the water. It was wet. Not cold. At least, not enough that she would feel it. But the ache in her hands began to fade, as volatile essences finally cooled. With the fading discomfort, the gnawing frustration within only became more noticeable.

Damn it all. She had failed.
Isn't it lovely, all alone?
Heart made of glass, my mind of stone
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
LOCKE

How he ended up this far from the main town was beyond him but at this point he was just trying to find her, anywhere. Maeve had to be somewhere and his mind was too addled to go home again. Plus, it's not like he'd be able to sleep, if he did make it home. He's too worried, too confused, his hands hurt too badly.

That is until a singular pop catches his attention. It doesn't sound like dripping water or a splash. He tilts his head, looking for the source in the darkness. He lacks any kind of way to really see so he moves towards it slowly. "Mae?" A moment later and a real splash. He turns his head towards that, trying to see what could've made the noise. Something white? A mermaid maybe? He makes his way to the water, kneeling down.

"Someone there?" Maybe he's so tired he's hallucinating.
I know I was born and I know that I'll die
The in-between is mine
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA

Water distorted the sounds beating into her ears. Dripping water, mumbling waves, echoes and distant pebbles all blurred together into a loud silence. A void of nothing, drowning out the important details. Important like approaching footsteps, or a voice calling for someone whose name sounded a lot like her own.

Maea didn't notice. She was busy scanning her body for further signs of damage, and berating herself for her failed plans. It did not bother her that the wrappings around her head had come undone, or that the sway of waves untangled her hair from the cord that tied it back. She only registered the presence of the man when she rose to her feet - the water was only waist deep where she had been crouching - and turned, only to find herself face to face with him.

She froze. There was no hiding her shock or dismay; it was written all over her. Did she run? Did she fight? Did she use subterfuge? Thoughts whirred; who was this? Maea did recognize him from just a while ago. What did he want, what did he know? Still and mute, she was so unnaturally immobile in her indecision that the pale skin and pearlescent hair could be cut from marble.

Only the droplets of water that runneled down her face made her seem even remotely alive.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
LOCKE

Suddenly there's a face inches from his and his eyes widen just a tad. The way she looks at him kind of makes his skin crawl but maybe it's because he's tired. Or maybe it's because being face to face with someone in a place like this is unnerving. He leans back, huffing softly.

"You lost?" He moves back, putting space between himself and the girl. He didn't see her at the fire so he has no idea she's involved. Maybe she's just hiding from the chaos in town. He doesn't blame her. He's got soot and blood on him but nothing compared to the folks down at the Slagveld. He'd take a dip in the pool too but you know, one weird thing a night at this point.
The in-between is mine
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA

What felt like an eternity was in truth no more than an exact measure of instances that she could have calculated, if she wished. When someone finally reacted, it was neither with accusations or violence but with a simple question.

Unblinking, Maea tilted her head in the quizzical nature of a doll, tugged by invisible strings. "No," she replied, so quiet that her voice did not echo. Then more silence followed, as she considered. Not a pursuer, then. Not enough justification to relax, but... "You should not be here. It is dangerous."

For many reasons. She, for example. An internal process was once again pointing out the need to replenish fluids, and here was a perfectly viable target. A slow, mirthless smile spread across her lips as her eyes took in the disheveled state of the man. It would be easy to make his night far more terrible than it had been thus far.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

His head tilts further as he watches her. Something about her is unsettling but he can't quite place exactly what it is. It vaguely reminds him of the way Nate was looking at him before he bit him. Something predatory and he's the prey. But Locke is bigger than she is, nothing to worry about, right? He raises an eyebrow at her warning, turning to look behind him before looking back at her.

He's been playing here since he was a kid. The only thing dangerous here is not knowing where you are or where you're going. The confusion colors his face in the pale moon light as he looks her over. "What's so dangerous here? You?" There's a tone of incredulity to his voice. As if she could be the dangerous thing.
The in-between is mine
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA

The look he gave her was one Maea was all too accustomed to. What was it with people - men in particular - that made them judge danger levels by size? Spiders and snakes had the potential to be lethal too, but they never towered over anyone. Wishing for the same kind of respect, her lips twisted and transformed the smile into a sour grimace.

"Is that so hard to believe?" she asked. The ripple of water around her as she moved towards him, ascending from the water with measured strides shimmered through the air, multiplying sound with reflected light until the cavern appeared to be submerged. To her eyes, at least. In the gloom, she doubted that the man could see much at all. "I suppose that if you fear neither smugglers or turning tides, then I might indeed be the thing to be most cautious about."

That faint pop was heard again, and the woman vanished. Where she had been, empty darkness flooded in to fill the void; then a gloved hand tapped a polite finger on the man's shoulder, from right behind him. "You should learn to watch your back," Maea suggested, almost sweetly.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

Locke is very smart, in the right situations. This is not one of them. His understanding of Ascended and their abilities is rather limited. It only takes him a moment to catch the glimpse of fang before he's well aware he's the fly and she's the spider. Well shit. He laughs, awkward and nervous as she stares him down.

He can't really see, not details. He can see the way the moonlight reflects off her hair, the way the water ripples, the glint of fang. Maybe he's more like a mouse that's been caught by the cat. Locke swallows thickly, "Not really afraid of much." Being stupid has a way of doing that too you.

But then she's gone and suddenly there's something touching him. He tenses up slightly, shivers breaking out across his skin like ripples in the water. His face twists into something more like anger, or a sneer. "Shouldn't touch people without asking first.." He takes a step back, closer to the edge of the water. Unless she can float, he'll be able to hear her if she does that popping shit again. His hands clench into fists and all it does is press the glass splinters deeper. At least the pain brings his focus back.
The in-between is mine
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA

A soft laugh filled the tunnel. "Nor should one judge others based on appearances. Yet here we are."

There was something sad and amusing in the way he tensed and backed away from her. Maea lingered and watched, her hand falling down to rest empty by her side. The way she tilted her head aside was considering, as if weighing her options. Pale eyes dropped to his hands; she could not see the glass, nor smell the blood, yet her fabricated senses registered its presence on his palms anyway. It would be so easy to simply take what she needed. Easy... and stupid.

"If someone were to ask first... would touching be permitted?" A tongue swiped over lips that required no moisture, and lingered on the tip of a fang. A question behind a question - would he understand what she was asking? Or would she have to be blunt. Maea was annoyed by her own reluctance to just come out and say that she needed blood, but it was a touch brazen. Given that he was a stranger. And the setting - so dark and gloomy, like she was some slimy monster in an adventurer's dungeon.

It was even more annoying that she couldn't rid herself of the memories this evoked. Of another man, another body of water... another foolish mistake.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

He gets it. Maybe. Rough, crass, bastard. All things people get from looking at him and at some point it started to be true. Either way, he gets it. That doesn't stop her question from catching him off guard. He tilts his head, just a bit, already faded bite marks there. He thinks he knows what she's asking for. Maybe. The glint of fang helps and he's not entirely stupid.

"Depends on what kind of touching but usually it's permitted." He copycats her tone. He's played this version of this game before, except not. There had been an understanding from the start with what kind of things it would entail. This? He's not so sure though. But he is curious and he can't help but remember the way it felt last time. Would it feel as good with her? She's so very different.

"How do you want to do this?" Not a yes but not a no either.
The in-between is mine
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA

For the first time, there was a flicker of uncertainty in her eyes. Maea had not expected a yes. Even if it was only an almost yes. A maybe. Hesitating, she drew in a pointless breath and forced it out. The mimicry offered no comfort.

"Want... is perhaps not the right word," she mumbled, and looked away. Stared off into the darkness, beyond the point where her eyes lost focus. "I have a need to replenish fluids. That is all. If you can help, it would be appreciated. If not... then you should probably leave."

Stepping aside, she folded her arms across the chest and leaned back against the rough cavern wall, hardly aware of the clammy cold of wet clothes or damp stone. If the man wanted to leave, she would not stop him. Gloved hands dug into the flesh of her upper arms, her mounting tension apparent even in this gloom.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

Locke rolls his eyes with a huff, "Not what I meant." She draws away, giving him room to leave if he wants but he's not sure he does. He's had a shitty fucking day and he's already bleeding. What's a little more. And even if she plans on letting him leave, is she serious? Did she not say something about watching his back? At least this way he has some control in what's going on.

He takes another step towards her, head tilted, equal parts an offering and trying to decipher what she wants. Or rather, needs. "I'm well aware what the bite does.. Just trying to make sure we're on the same page." He doesn't like being touched without permission, but it goes both ways. He might be a shitty person but he's not that kind of shitty.
The in-between is mine
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA

Why was it so much harder to do this with permission than without? If only there had been no side effects. If it had only been the blood to consider... but it was not.

"How considerate," she mumbled. Appearing casual and relaxed was a struggle when he approached; every fiber of her being had tensed. Ironic, how quickly she could go from predator to feeling like prey. Especially given that this was her idea. "I only need the blood. The rest..." A light shrug was meant to illustrate indifference, though it only came off as awkward.

Pushing away slightly from the cave wall, Maea took a step towards the man. The way he exposed his neck drew her gaze; she swallowed thickly as bodily needs and instincts kicked into overdrive.
"You don't have to," she repeated, a touch unsteady. A final offer for retreat, before it became too late.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

It'd almost amuse him, the flip in the situation, but it really doesn't. He wants to help, for some unknown fucking reason, but she seems less than thrilled by all of this. Which isn't fun. He likes being bitten, likes the mix of the sensations. So he just shrugs, "Just blood then. I can do that." He has good self-control, right? Yeah. Totally.

He steps closer, close enough that he'd be able to feel her body heat if there were any. "Just take what you need and we'll go our separate ways. No one's gotta know." His voice is low, barely a rumble above the cave sounds. She assures him that he doesn't have to and he knows. Just like she probably doesn't have to. But maybe he's being a little selfish. He's allowed that every once in awhile, right?
The in-between is mine