give us a hand
for Ronin
Swamp Witch

Age: 517 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Mildew
I don't think there is anyone under your skin
Like a Cheshire cat I think that you are just a grin
The cold stone and gravel beneath her feet felt distinctly strange to Mildew, who was used to dirt and mud; had grown to know just by the feel of the leaves under her toes what seasonal changes were coming - this place felt lifeless in comparison, eerily quiet and constructed. The silhouette of Stormbreak in the mist didn't help either, Mildew finding the structures to be intimidating and ugly, far from the beauty that had been promised.

Maybe she had to be more open minded; this was apparently somewhere the Gods liked very much.

With a sigh, Mildew pulled her hair over her shoulders and tied it back behind herself, looking to any passersby like a wild child in way over her head; muddy and scruffy, in many-times-patched clothes and no shoes, no one would guess she was a being centuries older than them. "I suppose I'll have to just go in." She mumbled to herself, beginning to take steps towards the city again.
And I can feel you laughing, under my skin
And the happy palpitations are making me grin
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
everything has its wonders
Ronin doesn't often find himself out here - the last time he'd come to the Righteous Road, he'd been looking at the hand mines, and they were enough to have him noping right back behind the city walls. Today, though, the skies are clear and deep and blue, and the sun overhead has begun to freckle his bare shoulders. He and Sugar are tracing the perimeter immediately outside the city - as far as it goes before it drops off the cliffs, anyway - and it has been so far uneventful.

He's just about made it back to the trail leading from the Feverlands and up to Stormbreak when his pale dragon sees something she clearly approves of, because she's off like a missile through the air, twisting and trilling and heading (you guessed it) straight for Mildew. "Sorry!" Ronin calls in advance, breaking into a jog after his companion. Sugar, meanwhile, has descended to try and land about Mildew's shoulders, familiar as you like.
even darkness and silence

Coding base by Sky!
Swamp Witch

Age: 517 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Mildew
There was the sound of beating wings in the air behind her; Mildew had just begun to turn when the dragon reached her shoulders, the momentum sending her stumbling in a circle. Managing to right herself, she blinked a couple of times and stared at her new companion. Once she'd realised there was no threat and in fact a cute dragon, a smile broke out on her face and she reached up to scritch the creatures chin.

"Well, hello, darling." She glanced to the man running after her, presumably the guardian, and gave him a compassionate look. "It's alright. She just knows I will treat her well-" As if to prove this, Mildew reached in her bag and brought out a rough bag of linen, that she pulled a chunk of meat out of and gave up to Sugar (what kind of meat was it? Maybe it was better if they didn't know).

Once Sugar was contented, she turned to glance at the walls. "Are you heading into the City? I've never been. It's quite intimidating, isn't it?" Mildew asked, maybe purposefully making herself sound younger and less experienced.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
For her part, Sugar absolutely doesn't care what kind of meat it is, and she accepts both the treat and the fuss with good natured trilling. Her wings flex and adjust as she settles on Mildew's shoulders, clearly having no intention of going anywhere. The glance she shoots at Ronin might even be a bit smug, if the Star says so himself. Still, he's pleased that she hasn't accosted someone and gotten them into trouble, Ronin smiling to the stranger.

"Well, you've made a friend for life now that you've fed her," he remarks, following her gaze up to the walls. "Mm, I was just heading back up. Are you visiting?" he asks, a laugh rumbling up in his chest. "Yes, it definitely gives off a standoffish sort of vibe, doesn't it? It's better behind the walls, though. I'm Ronin, by the way - nice to meet you."

Coding base by Sky!
Swamp Witch

Change author:
Mildew
"Ah, she works like me, then." Mildew said with a laugh, entirely comfortable with the dragon on her shoulders, only moving to allow Sugar space to move. She did pull her hair over to one side, aware that some of these little beasts had fire and that even if this one didn't, she had claws that would get stuck in tangles.

Gazing over the buildings, she nodded distractedly. "Visiting...yes, for the first time." And probably the last for a long while - Mildew couldn't see this being somewhere she would venture frequently. At the risk of making herself sound quaint and naive, she admitted: "Where I live, the tallest things around are the trees." There were, to be fair, some very tall trees in the Feverlands, but none of them could match the stone towers of Stormbreak.

A smile overcoming her face from it's distraction, she nodded towards him. "I'm Mildew." There was no hesitation in giving this rather odd name; it was up to Ronin to challenge it if he wished. "Do you know where I could stay the night in the city?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"For the first time?" Ronin echoes with a smile, glancing up at the walls of Stormbreak briefly before his gaze returns to his new companion. "Well, I hope it seems less intimidating once you're within the walls." It was just as stony and severe in places, but the people more than made up for it, Ronin found. Stormbreak's colour came from its people. "Trees, you say? Do you come from the Greatwood, then?" With a name like Mildew (and Ronin does seem perturbed, but he is too polite to say anything), he figures it's as good a guess as any.

He nods in response to her question, gesturing for them to walk on if she would like to. "Yes, there's a place called the White Hart that will be able to offer you a room, I think. I'd be happy to show you the way if you like?" He smiles. "What brings you here, if you don't mind my asking? Stormbreak doesn't tend to be a place people find themselves in accidentally."

Coding base by Sky!
Swamp Witch

Change author:
Mildew
"I came from the Feverlands." Mildew correctly gently; she'd never been to the Greatwood, though she'd heard good things. No, her land wasn't that of soft greens and soft creatures; she came from a distinctly dark and deep wilderness. "So I haven't seen one of these...cities, before. Not like this." The Hollowed Grounds had been easy to digest in comparison; Torchline had not been too big of a leap - but this was something else.

She began to walk with him when prompted to, quite happy to keep Sugar on her shoulders as they went. It was actually comforting, in a fashion, to have the dragon with her - a little bit of the natural world in the towering land of stone and steel.

"I heard that this was a place much loved by the Gods." Mildew explained readily, looking over as if to see if Ronin agreed with that assessment. "That it was a sacred place." She honestly was finding it hard to believe, her faith more rooted in the earth under her feet and enchantments with ingredients of the lands, but she was determined to keep an open mind. "I've been home for a long time. I wanted to see it."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"The Feverlands?" Ronin's eyes widen a fraction, his curiosity getting the better of him. "That must be quite an interesting place to live. I didn't realise there were any settlements there..." It didn't seem a place where many would make a life for themselves, but then again Ronin has never seen it for himself. He could very well be mistaken.

They walk together and Sugar is just as happy to keep her perch as Mildew is to have her there; indeed, the sleek dragon has nestled her head into the woman's hair, huffing a ticklishly cold breath into her ear. "There are certainly sacred places within it, and Stormbreak has succeeded in feats that many other cities can only dream about..." The but hardly needs to be said. "All places have their shadows though, I suppose. You would enjoy the Celestine, I think - it's a huge expanse of gardens created by Frey and Safrin together."

They draw closer to the gates and Ronin waves at the couple of dragoons on duty - his presence, plus the absence of any handmines would signal that there was nothing to fear from Mildew. (Not in the Abandoned or Ascended sense, anyway).

Coding base by Sky!
Swamp Witch

Change author:
Mildew
"There aren't." Mildew reassured him with a wave of her hand and a laugh; with some pride she pulled her hair back and winked. "I have my own cottage, but I've never seen another person even try to make a home there." And she was quite happy that way; she was a solitary being, one who liked to be alone with the beetles and mud for years at a time.

She did not expect the city to be perfect (actually, she suspected she wouldn't like it), so his comment about shadows went unchallenged. Even here, where the Gods blessed the people, they were still people; susceptible to temptations and anger. "Gardens created by the Gods...by Frey..." A warm nostalgic smile spread on Mildew's lips as she spoke of her patron God, who she had not seen in person in many years - she liked to think though that they spoke to her through the rustle of the leaves, the new babies in Flowerbirth. "That does sound wonderful."

The guards caught her attention, as did the familiar way Ronin waved towards them. "You live here? I would try to identify your accent, but it's been many, many years since I visited all the regions."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Oh, well - that explains it at least." Ronin chuckles. "Do you get many visiting? As the only civilisation in the Feverlands, I imagine the people who find your cottage must be very pleased to see you." And that's an understatement and a half.

They continue up the trail and, at her repetition of Frey's name, Ronin offers her a small smile. "Have you ever met them?" he wonders, guessing that at the very least she must feel an affinity with Rae's herald. "It's something else, yeah. It's always blanketed in twilight, and there are enclosures where Frey puts creatures who are injured. They leave once they are well again." That's Ronin's understanding at least.

Heading in through the gates, he nods to Mildew and gestures for the path that they ought to take. "I do live here, but I'm not originally from Stormbreak. Or from Caido, in fact - I'm an Outlander. I've been here for... coming up to four years, now."

Coding base by Sky!
Swamp Witch

Change author:
Mildew
"Hm. I did not used to, but recently I've seen a few. I tell fortunes -" Mildew informed, fishing a card from her bag and holding it out before Ronin as if it would mean anything to him (it depicted a woman wrapped around the sun, her hair forming the clouds around). "-And some of them are interested in that. Would you be, dear?"

As the ground underfoot became smooth and the cold flagstones of streets and cities, she looked down, wiggling her toes; maybe it was time to invest in some shoes. "Oh yes. Many times, just not for a while. Maybe I will try to say hello at a shrine in the City, while I'm here." Hearing of the mission of the Celestine, she grinned; just like Frey, and the kind of thing she could be interested in too. "Frey is simply wonderful. So caring, so nurturing. Don't you think so?"

An Outlander - she'd heard the term, met a couple, though the concept was still a little unfamiliar. "I see. So the...fake Goddess brought you here, but you have rejected her plan?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"You tell fortunes? That's interesting. It's been a long time since I came across anyone that-- oh. Safrin." He tilts his head down at the card, which - to the Star, at least - couldn't possible be anything other than the lady of the stars to whom he has pledged himself. "I suppose I would be, given that start," he admits, grinning to her. "Though if my fortune is bad, do me a favour and don't tell me. I'd like that to be a surprise."

Not for a while could mean anything, though of course Ronin isn't to know that Mildew has been walking under Frey's wing since before the Hollowed Grounds and the barrier. "That sounds like a good idea," he murmurs, smiling, though there's a slight edge to it as they speak about Rae's herald. "They can be, I suppose," he murmurs. "I've never met them personally, though all the stories I've heard don't paint them in such a flattering light."

Her summary of his existence in Caido is somewhat vague, but not inaccurate, and Ronin nods a little. "Safrin made me who I am today," he explains, gesturing again to the card she's produced. "So that's who I follow."

Coding base by Sky!
Swamp Witch

Change author:
Mildew
Mildew blinked to hear Ronin describe the card as Safrin - it was, in fact, simply an artistic rendering of the sun, there was another card in the deck that represented the Goddess. Still, she didn't correct him, finding his interpretation to be far more interesting than whatever the art was originally meant to be. "Ha. No one's fortune is 'good' or 'bad'. It can always change, too. Good to know what's coming so you can prepare."

She looked around them for somewhere to sit, but without much familiarity with the area it was hard to know where to go. "Maybe you can take me for a drink and I'll take a look at the cards." Mildew suggested, nudging Ronin's side.

A little surprised to hear her God hadn't made the best impression, Mildew tilted her head. "What do you mean? Frey can be...a little feisty, dear, but they have a good heart." Just like herself, really, though she'd mellowed out over the years. Learning that Ronin was of Safrin brought a knowing, private smile to her face. "Mmm. You seem like her type. She likes the heroes and the stoic men."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Ronin's brow furrows, as if to ask how one is meant to change their fortune if it isn't either good or bad, or if it can change to begin with. Blinking, he decides against questioning it (because his head already hurts), and instead goes along with Mildew's suggestion. "Alright, that sounds good. We'll go to the White Hart where you can find a place to stay, and I'll get you a drink from the bar." He doesn't have anything on for the rest of the afternoon, anyway.

Wrinkling his nose, he isn't sure how much to say given that all of Frey's less generous experiences all belong to Remi. "They haven't been particularly friendly to my husband," he says, settling on that diplomatic response. "But it is more his story to tell. I don't doubt that they have a good heart, though."

Raising his eyebrows and meandering now down a few steps so they might make their way to the Silk Houses, Ronin flashes her a grin. "Why, whatever could you mean?" he drawls, knowing the answer full well.

Coding base by Sky!