Little accidents
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Hey, starchild, are you listening?
Wrangling dragons came with its own perils. Scratches, burns and small cuts was par for the course, and most of the time it could be waved off. Not so much the deep claw marks on Seren's underarm, though. They weeped red even through the cloth hastily wrapped around it, and was the source of a very concerned dragon's prodding nose. Clinging to her shoulders, Umbra looked very small and very ashamed of himself.

"Not your fault, tiny," Seren murmured softly, as she paused inside the main gate and looked about. "Just have to be more careful when you land." Medic, there was supposed to be a medic around here... somewhere. Compared to the brilliant Longheat sunshine outside, the Tower felt cold and imposing, and it was difficult to get her bearings. Making an attempt to reach up and pet the hatchling, she quickly changed her mind as pain throbbed through the cuts. Her stomach tumbled uneasily in response, while cold sweat beaded between the shoulderblades. It was fine. It didn't hurt that badly. It was fine.

Over one of the doors, a sign spelled out Medical Clinic with bold, official looking letters. Peeved that she hadn't registered it right away, Seren stomped over and knocked tentatively. Or maybe she should have just entered? The echo of her boots against cool stone floors hung in the air behind her, like an awkward reminder that she still did not feel at home in this place.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 14 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
please don't ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize anywhere
A rather angry-looking nurse with a mole beside her upturned nose and red hair pulled tight against her skull opens the door and peers down at Seren. Demigoddess or not, Milligan rarely had time for anyone's shenanigans, and today was no exception. Doctor Hart had been off playing nurse maid at home, leaving them all short-staffed (they really weren't). So with an unhappy scowl, nurse Milligan shows Seren into an exam room, and after a moment or two of argument outside the door, a very tired and very pregnant-looking Tobi enters.

"Hello Seren." She says with a weary smile, though for all her exhaustion, Tobi's eyes are still bright and kind. "It's nice to finally meet you. I'm a friend of your father's." Putting a hand to her belly and approaching, October winces to see Seren's obvious injuries. Raising her gaze to Umbra, Tobi merely smiles. "Don't worry. We all make mistakes when we're learning." She says to the dragon as if both girl and reptile are her patients.
October
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
The starkness of the wall and a sharp smell of rubbing alcohol would have been enough to put Seren on edge, even without the scowling nurse. Put two unpleasants together, and she soon fought a strong urge to crouch so that she would be less noticeable. Being ushered into the empty room would have been more comforting if it had not been for the heated voices, and by the time the doctor entered, both girl and dragon turned to her with eyes wide and wild with nerves.

Seren's return smile was automatic, if perhaps a touch unsure. It took her off guard when strangers knew her name. "Oh, ah, hello. Do we look that much alike? He hasn't mentioned you." Perhaps he might have, if Seren had only stayed put. Belatedly, she realized how rude that comment sounded. "Sorry, that is... I don't seem to recall your name." Too late, Seren.  

The dragon saved her by cutting in with a low throaty warble, in response to the reassurance. Slithering down from Seren's shoulders, he dropped to the floor and wound himself around her legs, before slipping off to snuffle in a corner. She wished he had stayed close; it seemed much less daunting to face the kind, exhausted smile of the doctor with a dragon in her hands.

"We were playing," she explained in a bashful murmur, while holding out her bleeding arm to be examined. "Umbra came in to land on my arm, but lost balance... He is growing too big for it, I think."
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Tobi chuckles, shaking her head easily. "Oh no, not at all." She replies both to whether or not daughter and father look alike, as well as whether or not Tobi was someone she should have known about. "I'm a member of the Order." Tobi explains with an easy shrug, her position meaning absolutely nothing to her. "So when you were born...and when Safrin brought you back..." The doctor crinkles her nose both with apology and understanding. How strange it must be for the young girl to have celebrity status without even really knowing it. "I am Doctor October Hart. But you can call me Tobi."

Nodding, Tobi stretches out her fingers to hold Seren's arm, taking only a quick look before moving to cabinet to fetch a few supplies. Tugging on gloves, she gathers what she needs only minor difficulty, thanks to her massive belly. "Some never grow out of wanting to land on their bonded." She chuckles. "But eventually he'll get a better awareness of himself." Dragons could be like dogs in that manner, always thinking they were lap-sized even when they definitely will not.

Turning back to Seren, Tobi flashes her a warm smile. "This won't sting at all. It's going to numb the area so I can clean it, and we'll see if you need any stitches." Glancing at the dragonling, she nods toward a pile of laundry in the corner. "All that is set to be shredded, so if you feel like digging your claws into something, by all means."
October
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"Oh. I suppose that makes sense." Seren was a little disappointed to hear she did not look like her father. Though, if that meant she took after Safrin it was a very nice compliment. "Nice to meet you." And it was. The woman had such an easy air about her that Seren quickly started to relax.

Watching with keen curiosity how her wound was tended, she tried to steel herself against the discomfort to come. "I hope he will learn quickly. I don't mind scars, but I would rather not invonvenience you too much." She tried not to stare too pointedly at the woman's very pregnant belly. Really, shouldn't she be the one going about fetching things so that this lady could sit down? Seren felt bad about it.

"What is it like, to work with the Order? Mother told me I could as well, if I wanted to... but I haven't decided yet." A sound of tearing cloth from the corner suggested that Umbra found great enjoyment in the doctor's laundry pile. There was some ferocious snarling going on, and lots of kicking, and Seren was given the distinct image of imaginary foes being rent and conquered.

Delightful, and a good distraction when the prodding of her arm began. Maybe the numbing agent wasn't stinging, but that didn't keep it from hurting when the torn skin was touched. Gritting her teeth, Seren sat as still as the could - which meant that every part of her save the arm wriggled in protest.
Seren
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
'Oh it isn't an inconvenience at all. I love my work." Tobi says with a warm smile, though she does glance down at her belly. "I don't love doing it while I feel as though I'm going to explode at any moment though." She adds with a laugh. "But I don't plan on being pregnant again anytime soon, so as long as you hold off getting injured for another week or so, we should be alright." It's a joke of course; October would always be around to help. Even while she was giving birth, she'd probably still try and lend a hand if someone needed her.

As Seren asks about the Order, Tobi doesn't bother to try and hide her frown of indecision. 'Well...I suppose it depends on why you join, and what you do. I'm just a doctor. Healing people doesn't usually come up as a contentious topic. But for some of the others..." Her cheeks flush as she thinks of the things Finn has had to do. And even Ronin. The things Sera has had to build and for who, and the missions Dorian has gone on. Shaking her head slightly, her dark eyes flit from Seren's starbright stare back to her wounds. "Especially right now with everyone talking about war...You have to be willing to do things that suit the big picture." For Tobi, that just meant working while she was pregnant. For people like Finn, it meant overdosing on drugs for half a season and letting the men and woman of Torchline have their ways with his body.

Chuckling as Seren flinched and shivered, Tobi simply waited. "In a few seconds, you won't be able to feel a single thing."
October
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Lured back into laughing, Seren tried a look of innocence that was very exaggerated. "Would I do that? Why, now I'm almost tempted to climb rocks, just to test my luck." She said it like a joke, but the idea honestly wasn't half bad. There was a spot near the Falling that showed wonderful promise of climbing, falling and diving all at once... Her eyes glittered mischievously with possibility.
Now that Tobi had broached the subject herself, it was impossible not to ask more about the pregnancy. "You're that close? Do you know.. is it a boy or a girl? I never got to see Mother pregnant with my sister... I don't think she did it this way." She gestured vaguely to all of Tobi, both fascinated and awkward around the concept. It was not how she had been made. Nor her brother, come to think of it. "I suppose we are the strange ones..." she murmured, half to herself.

As the discomfort eased from her arm, Seren gnawed her lip and mulled over the Order. What she knew and didn't know, and the conversations she'd had with others recently. "What does the big picture look like, from your perspective?" she asked, less brightly than before. "Most I've talked to seem to agree that the Order is a bit... eh..." Spinning her hand in the air, Seren searched for a word that wouldn't be plain rude. "Narrow-minded? Unfair? Not inclusive." Shrugging, she gave up and watched the doctor for her opinion. Reserving any judgement she might have; Seren wanted to know more before making up her mind.
Seren
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
Tobi can’t help but laugh at that. “You sound just like the rest of the dragoons. I swear that must be a prerequisite for joining, that when you’re told to be careful, you feel compelled to do just the opposite.”

Looking down at her stomach and running a hand over her belly, Tobi nods. “A boy.” She answers in almost a smile, as if it were somehow too precious a thing to be said loudly. Raising a brow until she realized the context of what Seren meant, Tobi nodded. “That is something...I have quite literally never thought of before.” She admits with a chuckle. It wasn’t as though the gods ever appeared in her clinic needing aid or healing. “In a way yes, but also...this was how Rae designed us. I suppose Vi wouldn’t keep sparking us into life if it wasn’t a design he thought worthy of it.”

Reaching for a device that looked like an overly large pen, Tobi adjusts Seren’s arm that she might begin. Light bloomed from the tip, and where it touched the open wounds the skin pulled itself back together. Seren’s question doesn’t change Tobi’s expression, focused as she is on her work, but she does sigh softly. “I think the big picture is....to remove the ascended from the world.” Tobi answers in a soft voice. “They are not of Rae’s creating, and...I think if you think of our world as something made by the gods, they can do whatever they like. Fair doesn’t have to come into it. The asked the Voice to stop once, and then forced her to. Now she is back again.” It was easy to think of it that way, if you ignored the lives purportedly at risk.
October
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren's only response was a slight chuckle, because the doctor was probably right. It took a certain kind of person to seek out a life as a soldier, and regardless of the initial reasons the ones that made it through training all came out in a certain way. Eager to prove themselves, thrill-seekers all. Whether it was the dragons that made them such, or a result of not wanting to be left behind by the peers mattered little.

"I hope everything goes well, when it's time," she said as the topic changed to Tobi's pregnancy, and the boy child growing within her. She wanted to congratulate, but held back; unwilling to jinx anything by taking out joy in advance. "If you ever need help with anything, babysitting or such, don't hesitate to ask." Chewing her bottom lip, Seren watched as her arm was gradually, methodically repaired. It was fascinating to see how the skin just melded back together; what wouldn't Rae give to have something like that, back in Torchline. Was it a god-granted tool, or something an Abandoned had created? Likely not the later, since they were in Stormbreak.

"I see. Do you agree with that? I suppose you do, since you're in the Order and all." Seren glanced towards the corner, where her dragon had grown suspiciously quiet. In the midst of a pile of shredded cloth she found him half asleep, so buried in lump that only the nose stuck out. "An argument could be made, that you don't own something just because you made it. Like, a parent creates a child, but does that give them the right to decide their fate in every regard? Though I admit I don't understand the consequences of what the Voice does in the long term." Picking at a hem of her trousers, the girl glanced up at Tobi, half hoping she had some better arguments to offer. In either direction.
Seren
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
“I will! Thank you.” Despite not knowing Seren well (or, at all), there would likely be fewer places more safe than with the child of a goddess and a demigod, who was herself a demigod.

“Scar, or no scar?” Tobi asks as the final few centimetres of skin are tugged back together. There is a bright pink line that shows where Seren’s dragon’s claws had inadvertently sliced through her skin. “Some like them, some don’t.” She adds with an easy shrug.

Frowning, these not being the sorts of questions that Tobi was normally tasked with answering, the doctor straightens slightly and rests one of her hands on her belly. “Well...I think it’s probably tempting to think of them like our parents and us like their children...I wonder if it is like that at all.” She begins, a touch hesitantly, but with all the earnestness she has to offer. “Imagine maybe...if you had planted a garden and selected each and every flower and plant. Imagine then if weeds began to grow in your garden. Maybe you let them stay for a little while to see what they might do, but eventually they begin choking out the other plants and flowers that you intentionally designed and have been nurturing. And so you pull up the weeds. Maybe in another garden the weeds would be allowed to stay, but not in yours, because that isn’t the way you want it.” And so the weeds—the Voice and the ascended—are plucked and culled.
October
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
In theory, Seren as a babysitter was a safe option. It did beg the question of how much, and what kind of tales her father had told Tobi of her, though. Between sudden levitation, spontaneous disappearances and chatting up strangers, it was safe to say that she was no shining example of obedience... but it would probably be fine. The bright smile indicated that she would take on any task with high spirits and great enthusiasm, and perhaps that was good enough to start with.

Humming thoughtfully, Seren looked back at her arm. "Since it's an option... no scar," she decided, then chuckled softly. "I think I prefer ones with better stories behind them. 'Oops, my dragon sat on me' doesn't exactly inspire awe, or what do you say?" Some people collected scars like others did shoes or vintage wine, but Seren felt no need to record the events of her life on the skin. Not yet. Perhaps later, as she grew older and the memory began to grow hazy...

For one unaccustomed to airing her views on such matters, the doctor did a very good job. Seren found herself nodding along as Tobi elaborated. "That is a good analogy," she smiled. "It's really about perspective, isn't it? What relation you have to the gods, and what you want them to be, and thus how you wish for them to be. For your kind, helpful parent to say 'no, these people cannot exist' comes off as terrible and cruel. Yet if they are simply gardeners, then you would expect nothing else but for them to remove the 'weeds'." A slight frown tugged at her eyebrows as she mulled over the concept. Where did that place her, and other demigods? Was she a favorite flower, planted and nurtured to one day flower into some hidden potential? Or was she more of a gardening tool? There to serve a purpose..? It might depend on the god, she realized. And Safrin being her actual mother did complicate the matter somewhat, at least to Seren.

"Thank you for talking to me about this," she said, and looked up at the doctor. "You didn't have to, but it helps a lot."
Seren
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
Nodding, Tobi chuckles warmly. Adjusting a setting on the device, the doctor begins to sweep the light over Seren's skin again and again. The jagged pink line will eventually begin to smooth and lower, until there's no evidence left at all left of Umbra's uncoordinated landing.

'I think so, yes.' Tobi agrees, of it being a matter of perspective. As someone born and raised in Stormbreak the doctor's views were admittedly skewed and would always be. She could understand that the weeds might feel like they deserved a place in the garden and that it wasn't fair to be uprooted, living things as they were. But it wasn't their garden. And they would be allowed to stay if they didn't always cause so much destruction, but they did, no matter how many chances they were given.

"You're very welcome. Now, much as I enjoyed meeting you, lets not do it again too soon, mmm?" Giving Seren a look that fully expressed that she didn't want to see the girl in her clinic again for a broken nose or detached limb, Tobi smiles nonetheless. She'd always be there to help.
October
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
The evidence of clumsiness vanished from her skin, and Seren tested flexing her fingers. There was no pain at all, and she smiled broadly back at the doctor as if she couldn't possibly be expected to behave. "I dare say you will be a patient here before seeing me again, Doctor Hart," she laughed. "But I will try my best to stay out of trouble. And I hope I will get to meet you again outside the infirmary; I rather like you. Dad has good taste in friends."

Getting to her feet once the treatment was done, she went over to collect her dragon. Umbra was dozing and in no mood to move on his own, so she kept him cradled in her arms. Making her way towards the door, she paused with a hand on the handle and turned back to Tobi, as a question came to her. "Have you thought of a name for the baby, yet?"
Seren