{RQ} Snake Pit Poetry
D <3
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
HOTARU
She's in a long black coat tonight
Waiting for me in the downpour outside
They’d planned to meet here, before everything had gone terribly sideways. Everything is cast in a different light now, the slant of shadows changing features into something alien and strange. She knows those shadows have changed in her too. Atlas was not the first companion to be torn from her soul, but the grief is never any easier.

Still, somehow she is freed.

There is nothing left to lose, nothing to be held against her. There is only her best friend, and Deimos is strong enough to protect himself against any measure of retaliation. With Atlas stolen from her...there are no further chains upon her being. Her own life is merely an hourglass, sand trickling down into a yawning abyss that offers peace she has never known. Why then would she ever fear the dwindling granules that remain?

Standing alone in Apopo’s shadow, Hotaru waits. He will come, she knows it. He always has. There is no doubt in her mind that he had escaped, had seen the sun rise the next morning. It is merely a matter of time. In the empty blackness of being alone in her head once more, Hotaru lets a silent permafrost creep inside and turn her cold.
singing "Baby come home" in a melody of tears
While the rhythm of the rain keeps time
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
death, you bring death and destruction to all that you touch
The Sword walked and walked, pressing his strides into the sand, jaw clenching, feathering, under the might and menace of the passing few hours. Too many things to be said, too many tarnished notions reeling, his head bowed against the sea breeze, winding his way along Apopo’s summits.

Bizarre; to be here, after everything else. On a spread of fertile soil, with pails in his hands, as if normalcy still maintained, retained, it’s dominion after the passing of last evening. His head ached and his soul burst and the clarity of it all wasting away to nothing was all the more apparent. Too many things lost and not gained, the opportunities of vengeance and anger simply giving away to the particles, to the dust, to the ash.

He stopped when he saw her, shaking his head, uttering a heavy sigh. He passed one of the buckets to her without words, without preamble, not even knowing where to start. The smoke still wasn’t gone from his skin, and the embers pooled into his flesh. They’d been fools, and eventually it was going to wreak havoc on more than just broken, fettered, gone, wasted companions. Which was why he hadn’t brought his - they were safer, back at the Inn, until they could all ultimately flee.

“Ru,” he finally managed on a rumble, throat contracting, fists clenching, before walking forward, towards a patch of earth. “What happened after?”
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
HOTARU
She no longer has Atlas’ eyes and ears to tell her when he comes, but she senses him all the same, though the awareness comes with that ache of reminder of all that she has lost. Turning, she manages a tiny smile for him even if nothing about their situation warrants it. A silent thing, a translation. That she does not hold anything against him, and hopes he will not against her. One hand comes to grasp the pail he offers, and she feels unmoored as he walks past her, no touchstone of contact to help her breathe. It doesn’t stop her from following behind, a shrinking violet in his mighty shadow.

”I killed the woman, unless she found immediate help. I lost her in the buildings, but there was no body.” Survival is simply not a possibility without magical intervention, and Hotaru is far from being arrogant when she says that. As she walks she eyes the ash that coats the ground, snuffing out the life beneath in a way that is guaranteed to only be temporary. There is a metaphor there perhaps but it is one she doesn’t care to unearth. ”I left. Though I have your cloak.” An idle thing to note but at least it fills the silence. ”And Safrin?” Aware he’d meant to go, and suddenly fearful of the outcome.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
“What a gods damned mess,” was all he could declare for a moment, stifling the rage, the disappointment, everything measured together into a compacted, contorted measure of abhorrence. He didn’t know who to direct it towards, so it was reserved for himself, who’d gone along with the ill-begotten plan, who’d run into impulsive measures like a child, who’d known far better and did it anyway. Maybe that was a lesson too - that his contempt for one individual had ruined a better part of everything else.

His head bowed, staring over the foundation of earth before him, and permitted his magic to do most of the bidding; a distraction, a deterrent, from the feelings flickering over him. He’d meant not to hide the emotions anymore, but perhaps it was best for now. Perhaps he’d eventually explode like the volcano once had before them - become a crater, rather than anything powerful or potent again. The sod broke itself apart by his measures, crumbling, like the inside of his ribcage, burying and calcifying. “Thank you.” At least the cloak had made it. As if that was anything to go by.

Deimos only lifted his cranium when she asked about Safrin. “She was very angry with me.” Then his eyes drifted downward, watching the soil loosen. “I told her the truth. That it was a mistake, I was not aware of the purpose of the building, and she somehow gave me another chance.” Surprised, really, that he’d managed it at all. “She asked me to ensure Halo sided with the Old Gods.” A shrug reeled through his shoulders, but they would both know it encompassed far more than a casual, blase movement. “Which will prove difficult, as she made me aware that Morgan and Neron are together.” Another sigh, and he crouched, beginning to grab hold of the earth and placing it in the pail. It all fell with a dull thud. “And that I will likely have to resign from my position.”
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
”All over a fucking building,” she hisses to herself, aware he will hear it but experiencing the same desire to conceal her emotions somehow. Ironic then that they do not blame each other for all they had gleefully gone hand in hand to do it. Aiming that anger and guilt inward instead of out. Her hands don’t shake as she bends to gather ash into her pail, though she stares unblinking at the way it stains her skin.

What he has to say is monumental, and yet it washes over her like the last searching wave reaching for the far end of the beach. Nothing more than a pale imitation, more foam than fury. It had never been Safrin she’d blamed, but the guilt is a stone in her stomach at having dragged Deimos through the mud of her favor. ”Resign?” It is a dark rumble, foreboding. Her knuckles bleed white around the pail’s handle. Blackened hand stains her linen skirt as it clenches there. ”And be chased from our home? For destroying a spy ring that lives in Halo as firmly as here?” Preposterous. Blasphemous. Morgan may have been born there, but Hotaru is arrogant enough to claim those icy reaches as her own. ”How do you intend to earn her favor back by resigning? You should not have to at all. What has she ever done for you? For Halo?” Aside from sitting silent and letting Neron’s fangs touch her throat? And worse, doing so in the dark, ashamed and hunted and fearful? It is a disgrace in so many ways to Hotaru, and her regard for the woman falls away as easily as the ash into the pail when faced with the prospect of elevating her word over Deimos’ happiness. For he would always stand tall above all others regardless of her fondness for them.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
But apparently it was far more. ”It could ignite war and other vengeful tactics with Torchline. Paying for my crimes with my position might stave off an assault.” He hadn’t meant to bring any notions of punishment down upon the mountains - it’d been simple revenge and rebuttal, until the ease of incantations and fire had bent into something far more disastrous. The notion of banishment and exile drummed away at him too, and admitting the remaining potential was only to go to the Greatwood and wander his way through the forests suddenly seemed all the more disheartening.

His hands dug further into the soil, fists clenching around it because that was far easier to understand. But then he blinked rapidly at her words, confused for a moment. “Spy ring? Where? And for Sunjata?” Unaware, ignorant, raising his head to stare over at her, eyes narrowing, not in suspicion, but in general bewilderment and bafflement.

As for Morgan, she had done something for him. “She and Chulane found me in the snow when I was sick. Otherwise I probably would have died.” Even if he’d craved it in those dark, isolated, shattering days. “I have likely proven I was not worth it.” Not something he wished to utter either, in the dark decrepit canals of his heart, and he forged onward, collecting the soil and placing it in the pail; no dull thunk anymore from the tin. “She has done much for Halo.” Discounting and discrediting her actions weren’t going to make his any better.
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
Teeth bare in a wolf’s grimace. ”War. All for the Governor.” It infuriates her, nettles against her skin that threaten to turn into a blistering rash. She can’t even bring herself to speak his name, still so wounded is her heart - or what remains of it, iced and cracked as it remains.

Gesturing to the bracelet still sitting innocuously on her wrist, she glares down at the mounds of ash in the bucket as if it has personally vexed her. ”That was the purpose of the Advocates. The bars; the Slagveld, the Kraai. To spy, to obtain information, to circumvent the law in all sorts of ways. Seeds planted in so many realms, and yet such reach is allowed?” Had been worth her companion’s life, even as an empty husk here in Torchline?

The man’s defense of Morgan rankles, but she grits her teeth, jaw feathering as she forces herself to let his words slide over her raised hackles like a soothing hand. Her teeth will never aim for his jugular the way it does for others. ”She has invited his reach into Halo. She hated the Ascended, only to fuck one in the shadows of her throne. And still refuses to pick a side. She may be a warrior of renown, and I may respect her, but Deimos -” standing, she turns her cold-fire gaze to where he stoops over the ash, blackened dress and destroyed horizon like a premonition as she stands against its backdrop, golden hair like a halo of lightning. ”If it is between her and you? It will always be you. I will steal Halo from her hands if it ensures you remain in your home.” Burning the Advocates had been her idea, and she will overturn an entire kingdom if it means sparing him the backlash of her own stupidity.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
His hatred for that inane, stupid man would probably always reign supreme. How he managed an entire land was far beyond Deimos’ calculations, considering the way in which the Flood lived his life. But he’d won this round, by the shackles tethering and bonding the pair of them, too lost in their wrath. How many times had he uttered that neither Sunjata or Nate had been worth it? And he hadn’t even followed his own damned advice. So he said nothing, letting the edges simmer and sink into those inward wounds, where they could settle in and amongst the rest.

The Sword’s jaw clenched once more as his eyes went to her bracelet, to the machinations suddenly bounding through his head. “I can inform her. She may not know.” And maybe the Kraai would be allowed to be searched, peeled apart layer by layer, until the seedy, scumbag nuances were found. A snarl pressed across his mouth, his stare rounding back to the earth. “What a disgusting human being.” No morals. No ethics. Permitted to do as he pleased because of the way he’d laid out his foundations. Through corruption, greed, and rampant idiocy.

But Hotaru’s words drifted over his mind too: for all the stories of Neron, of the Eirachi, of ties to Zariah, of being taken out of his position of power, Morgan had still found him worth keeping within the world. In his limited interactions with the Ascended, Deimos hadn’t seen anything of note. Nothing impressive. Just another man who’d managed to somehow carve his way back into the ice.

And maybe the Sword was trying to do the same. So he sighed into the Valkyrie’s calculations and plots, remembering days of old. “I did ask Safrin if she would object to someone else, another Old God follower, in her place. If I could not convince - ” He didn’t finish. The statement was cut off, and he thought again of being banished from the snow, from the sea, with very little else to turn to. More earth taken, more questions than answers. “But we have done enough damage.”
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
“Will she give you the same benefit of the doubt, Deimos?” A challenge to the tilt of her chin and cut of her narrowed eyes. Hotaru likes Morgan, but the Valkyrie has been freed of real consequence. What is jail to her now? Exile? Death? All that matters is fixing this last bit of rent flesh. Healing the residual wounds caused by her foolishness.

He is tired, and she can see it. No physical exertion had caused it, but the fire that burns in her will not accept the chill of his defeat. The slant of her eyes and jut of her chin is proof that his words, cut off as they were, are the blood in the water that she has scented. “Enough damage? I don’t think so. Morgan would be welcome to stay, if you feel you could convince her. But if it is Safrin’s will, and a loosening of the Voice’s hold? I see nothing to stop us.” Turning away, she kneels and collects more ash into her bucket. ”Or at least, not me. A chilling afterthought. If she must do this alone to secure his favor in Safrin’s eyes, she will. He is everything to her, and kingdoms are little more than chess pieces on a board where the squares have blurred and the colors run together.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Another righteous feeling of anger burst into his lungs then - and maybe this time it was for himself. A bitter taste on his tongue, an acerbic burn coating the length of his throat. ”She used me to hold her position as Warden while she went to the Grounds for Deepfrost. Ordered me to do it, while she gallivanted off with Neron before the monsters came.” Based on his presumptions and Safrin's indications. And perhaps that cut the most; that he’d been the pawn that time, moved around like a good little piece on the board, despite his vexation and irritation. Despite not wanting to, ever again. ”So probably not.” He’d own up to his mistakes and stupidity; and the pending result would be the same.

He could hear the defiance well before he saw it, his piercing gaze lingering in the corner of his eyes. ”You know I would not let you do it alone. But we have other things to try first.” The Glacier was an initial obstacle, and then the rest would fray and filter off at the seams. “And I will not be able to do anything if I am banished anyway.” What a bizarre feeling - to relive a pattern - days of refugee forces lingering outside in caves, licking their wounds, struggling not to crumble to defeat. The pail continued to be filled, an idle distraction now.
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
She feeds on his rage, two currents on a single wire. His injustices are her own, his burdens heavy on her shoulders. Hotaru knows intimately how he dreads the notion of leading once more, and it spurns a sour sickness in her stomach that Morgan had thrust the task on the General of all people. “Her devotion to him is telling, then. Safrin has good reason to fear Halo’s allegiance. Her stance has shifted drastically in a short time.” When the portal to Halo had first been opened, the Warden had been the staunchest anti-Ascended proponent of them all. What would a few more seasons do to her judgement? “And as the former Warden and an Ascended, I’m sure he has ties of his own.” Hotaru knows little of Neron, but if he has any brains or is anything like herself, his deposition would not have weakened his hold too much if he didn’t let it.

Already her mind is leagues ahead, and a sparse blossom of fondness and appreciation blooms when she turns her head and he is right there with her. Already knowing where she has gone and following at her side. Intrinsically bound as they have always been. “If she tries to banish you, I will challenge her for her crown before you can step foot out the gates,” she swears, eyes narrowing. It is a threat to the Warden as well as the General. Urging him to fight for his right to remain so that her own hand would not be forced. “Will you try and convince her then? She will not step down willingly, and she is too conflicted and ashamed to give an honest answer about her loyalties.” Hotaru had seen it firsthand in her spa. Morgan was lying to herself, and she would perpetuate that lie should Deimos confront her on Safrin’s orders.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
The shifts had been surprising. He could remember feeling the same way, listening as Morgan described her alteration in stance; recalling the vicious guard she’d held in place for the Ascended, and now, the seemingly passive regard. All for one man who’d nearly torn apart her kingdom. Maybe not everyone thought the way he did – with grudges, with pettiness, with age-old wounds and lacerations cutting through, never forgoing a scar. As for Neron, the speculation of his ties meandered straight towards the other components of the Ascended. “Very likely,” the Sword murmured, sifting and lifting the earth again as the pail filled.

But a heavy sigh left his chest at the notion of challenges, of crowns exchanged. A Helovian tactic; where they bombarded and cast aside monarchs who displeased, who fell inactive, who didn’t correlate to the current modicum of ruminations, notions, and emotions. “I am not certain that is how it works here,” came on the barest movement of a laugh, a modest snort, striving to forgo the waves of everything else settling in around his shoulders. “But I will do my best with convincing first. Or at least seeing where everything has filtered.” Parted and rendered – where her fortifications towards her people, and then her affections towards Neron, met and split.

As for honesty? His hands flickered towards the pendant beneath his shirt, maneuvering it so Hotaru could see. “Safrin gave me this. It can detect lies, to a certain degree.” So maybe, maybe, they could see and forge a way out of this mess.
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
A snarl of discontent is tempered only by allowance of his correctness at the notion of things being different from Helovia. "It should be, it was quite effective." And would certainly not stop her from trying if it came down to it. Halo appreciated power, and the transfer of Neron's power had certainly not been dissimilar. If she bested their Warden in front of a crowd, she'd certainly have a leg up in her own opinion. Though a tilt of her jaw is allowance for Deimos to try, as he seems to cling to. She can't forsake him that, not when he is even closer to Morgan than her own basic friendship with the woman. Privately she may consider it a lost cause, but she has already taken so much from him in a few meager hours; this isn't something she'll add to the list.

As her pail is filled, hands sooty and stained, she flicks her gaze as he draws it with a gesture to a pendant that lies against his skin. Interest flickers over her expression at the power it contains. For all she may dislike Safrin, it is a surface level grudge at best. She had forgiven far worse affronts from her Goddess in Helovia. Deimos' allegiance to the deity is certainly no deal breaker. "She must truly support the change then. That will be invaluable if you hope to determine the depths of her attachment. If she'll even discuss it after you confess," and here her lips twitch a little, displaying her clear, continuing opinion on that. But Deimos is not like her, biding her time in the shadows and concealing her actions until they suit her - or until someone reveals them intentionally.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Helovian methods, effective or not, hadn’t proven to be a great strategy here. They could already see the writing on the wall with their latest stunt; the world bubbling, blistering, and festering beneath the angles of ash and embers. And while they had their orchestrations and measures, it would certainly have to be far more than what they’d done – impulsive child’s play no longer on the table. Impetuous haste cannot be the way; more power given to his cold, calculating tactics than the persuasion of vehemence. Not again.

“We will see,” was all he could surmise, the rancor beginning to settle back down into his shoulders. The self-loathing, the incredulous nature of wounds upon wounds, resurfacing below his skin. He tucked the pendant away, back into the confines of his shirt, hidden, furtive, what he wished he could be. Too much left out in the open, and too much more to come. The Sword’s hands aimed to take her pail, a deep sigh flickering over the hinges as he grabbed the handle. “I will take these back.” Home; for however long it was deemed or damned to last. Deimos presumed Hotaru had other loose ends to tie up – more angles to devise and divide, while he marched towards his damnation. “See you there.” Which sounded like the only promise he could make anymore.

{FIN}
DEIMOS