okay i'll admit that i really don't understand
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
but the thing is, even if i could go back, i wouldn't belong there anymore
It's been a few days since Aurelia's conversation with Seren, some time granted in between the chaos and the jarring peace to follow. She knows it won't last, however, and she can only prolong the inevitable for so long before she has to do what needs doing. She'd asked around with a few of the locals, where she might find Maeve now, and it came as no surprise to find out that she was still at the site of the Halenani - dedicated to rebuilding the only real home she's known. So Aurelia takes off for it when the time feels... less wrong. Would there ever be a right time for this? She knows the answer, and continues on anyway.

The construction of the building is still underway, so it's easily that she's able to spot Maeve amongst it all, with her raven-black hair and slim figure. For a moment, she means not to interrupt, observing from the sidelines and waiting for a moment that might be better. She finds that there isn't one, and the simmering dread in her stomach seems only to draw the pit there wider.

But this is her job, or... at least, she feels like it is. A responsibility rests on her shoulders, even if Jack has taken some of the weight off her shoulders and the actual decisions will be left to Sunjata to make. She has to know the part Maeve plays in all of this, if it's only a surface-level thing or something that goes deeper, is more sinister. She hopes it's not the latter, still feeling some amount of care for the Madame - even if she perhaps doesn't deserve to.

"Maeve," the name echoes out from the lips as she draws near, loud enough to draw attention without needing repeat measures. Aurelia's pace slow but steady, she carries no weapons, no need for them here, no desire to be intimidating here and now. There is no fire in her eyes anymore, only a dark and swimmy reluctance. She half-braces for a harsh confrontation, but truly she doesn't know what to expect.

Wishing to cut through the formalities, Aurelia makes sure to clear one thing up from the start, "I don't know if you can still recognize me, but it's me... Aurelia." The admittance of that feels shameful and difficult, but she goes through with it anyway. "I need to speak to you... about that night, if you can. I know you're busy, so I won't take up too much of your time... If there's somewhere we can talk for a bit..." she glances around with a troubled expression. Something like this doesn't need to be discussed out in the open, so she offers the opportunity of discretion, should Maeve want it.
Aurelia
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

The days have been busy for her. They haven't slowed down despite the chaos dying down around them and Maeve is grateful for it because it at least gives her something to focus on. The Halenani is her project. Her baby. She pours herself into days here to create something for her people. The fires were behind her for the time being. Hotaru had separated herself from the Madame for her protection and Maeve was doing her best to move on from there. Even though she couldn't help but worry about the woman and what was to come. This wasn't over. It wouldn't be for some time. Not until Sunjata came back and decided what was going to be done regarding those who set the fire.

It was a mess. All of it. Maeve sighs, rubbing at her temples as she looks down at the blueprints, trying to make sense of their next steps. "Oi! No sir! That's not where we're meant to have a supporting joint!" She calls out, catching a mistake that could very well be detrimental had she not. The Madame is in the process of correcting it when she hears her name. At first she thinks it's one of her workers with the familiarity in which is calls out her name, but when she turns she sees someone she's not expecting. Aurelia. Her face is different and at first Maeve didn't really notice. She definitely hadn't noticed that night, but she does now. Even though the voice is clearly the same one that had filled her room seasons before.

"Aurelia..." Confusion colors her tone, brows knitting together as she turns to watch the other woman approach. There is a myriad of emotions that swirls in her chest. Anger, hurt, guilt, and even a lingering attraction that she'd prefer to not acknowledge. They barely had a chance to become anything before Aurelia broke them apart, shattering a piece of her in the process, but that's not what this is about. No, this is about the fire and about what Maeve knows.

Her lips purse in consideration and she nods slowly, "Alright." Maeve says softly, looking around at the gathering of men and women alike, "Take an hour, loves! Get yourself something to eat and cool off for a bit." She instructs the volunteers, turning her attention back to Aurelia before ushering her towards the tent that is serving as her base of operations for the time being. Maeve closes the flap behind them after Aurelia enters, busying herself with pouring them both some iced tea before taking a seat behind the small desk that's holding all of her plans and notes.  

Despite the nerves in her belly, Maeve looks every bit calm and collected as she crosses her legs, taking a sip of her tea, "I'm not sure how I can help, but I'll try." And she means it. Hotaru knows what's coming. That's why she broke things off with her. Maeve doesn't know much, but she doesn't have anything to hide either way.
If you're a lover, you should know
The lonely moments just get lonelier
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The hustle and bustle of moving workers is a welcome normality to Aurelia, and she tries to stay out of they way as she makes her own towards Maeve's figure, where she stands over her blueprints and calls out to a young gentleman who seems to have gotten something wrong. Aurelia has to swallow down everything else to steady herself against this brick wall she feels she has to break through - whether it's her own or otherwise.

The confusion is evident in Maeve's voice but it's expected, understandable. She nods in confirmation, and her lips part halfway as if she's going to say something else. An explanation, why she looks different, but it feels lesser in the face of this and so she gets to the point. She's thinks that Maeve would prefer it that way, with what had transpired between them. She isn't naive to the way she'd hurt her, but she doesn't rightly know what to do with that.

Hard lines soften with relief at a willingness to at least talk about more official matters, about the reason she's here. Aurelia waits patiently as Maeve dismisses her workers, and proceeds to follow her swiftly toward the tent. Within, she's slower to take a seat than Maeve is, allowing the woman to make herself comfortable in her own space first. She doesn't know why such a little thing like sitting in a chair and accepting a cup of tea feels so damn daunting.

For a bit, she stands rigidly by the entryway, until she makes slow strides toward the seat across from Maeve, pulling it a bit closer to the desk in the process. Her hands feel stiff and clammy, sweat lingering on the back of the chair where she touched it. It beads along her brow, as well, but at least that can be blamed on Longheat.

Aurelia finds herself unable to cut to the bottom of things now, unable to respond so directly to Maeve's statement. Her gaze drifts across the glasses between them, watching the ice settle and then she finally meets Maeve's cool green eyes.

"I'm glad to see that you're rebuilding the Halenani..." she says, and while she does mean it the honesty feels awkward in her throat, "I was sorry to hear that it collapsed in the monsoons." Sorry that she hadn't been there. It seems she's sorry for a lot, lately, all the time. Does it really matter anyway?

Clearing her throat, she tries to press on, "As you.. might've heard, I've been elected as the new Arbiter," she doesn't say this as if to wave it like a proud flag, but as a means to let Maeve know she isn't coming here personally to find answers for selfish reasons. Although, she is, but she can hide beneath that cover, can't she.. "So you know I have to ask for your account of what happened. I can write it down, word for word, if you want," so that she knows nothing has been twisted, and at this Aurelia pulls out a small journal and a charcoal pencil.

"Anything helps, though. If it's easier, you can start from the beginning. Why you were there, what you saw or heard. I... I have to ask you to be completely honest, leave nothing out... you know that." Her gaze takes on a knowing edge, silently warning Maeve.

She doesn't want to reveal what she already knows, doesn't want Seren to be identified as an informant. It could spell trouble for the girl. Though she doubts that would be because of Maeve, she also feels like she doesn't truly know anyone anymore.
Aurelia
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Whether the awkwardness is due to the conversation that they're about to have or their own previous entanglements, Maeve isn't sure, but she doesn't miss the way that Aurelia seems to stiffen or linger. She definitely doesn't miss the tightness in her brow or the way she can't seem to meet her eyes at first. The Madame gives her a moment to settle, letting her exist in whatever state she finds herself in now that she's in her presence, but doesn't prompt anything further than her opening statement.

Maeve wraps her hands around her glass, bringing it to her lips and taking a slow sip, condensation dripping from the glass before she's setting it back down. Her head dips in acknowledgement, a small smile on her lips, "It's been a bit of a mess. The process is slow, but we're making progress." Maeve says easily, adjusting herself in her seat as she lets herself hold her gaze, "Probably for the best to have a fresh start. I can make it better for them." She's been trying to look on the bright side of things. A fresh start for everyone involved.

Her brow arches, shaking her head as Aurelia shares the news of her promotion, "I wasn't aware. Congratulations. Does that mean you'll be in Torchline on a more permanent basis?" Does it really matter? It's not like she'd be coming to see Maeve for anything. Maeve wasn't even sure if she wants that after the way it went before. It would likely go up in smoke much like it did the last time. "Whatever you need to do." She says with a small wave of her hand, picking up her glass to take another small sip of her tea.

"I know." She says softly, licking her lips as she considers where exactly would be best to start. Maeve draws in a breath, trying to straighten out her thoughts, "I was heading back to Locke's after working here for the day. You know that the Slagveld is right up the road from here and I have to pass it on the way home." She takes another sip of her drink, mostly to chase off the heat that wants to cling to her skin, but also to help calm her nerves despite the fact that she has nothing to hide. "I saw the smoke coming out of the building and I know that Adam lives there. I was worried he might be inside. Just as I got closer I saw someone attack the unicorn that was outside before they rushed in. That's when you showed up just as I was rushing forward to help."

And this is the moment that it going to give everything away. There are some parts that she can keep close to her chest, but this will put Hotaru at the scene and she has to keep herself safe. She promised. Maeve takes a breath, "I helped because I was worried about Adam, but I recognized the companion to be Hotaru's. I don't know if she was actually there or not, but the unicorn was hers." Maeve tells her softly, meeting her eyes as she lets out a breath. "I don't know if she was actually involved or if Atlas was maybe just looking for Sunjata or what. That's all I really know."
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia can't reflect the small smile Maeve gives, because it seems sad and demure in nature. In fact, there's a slight grimace that weaves across her features in understanding. The words are something that hits home with Aurelia, as Maeve's often are, and perhaps that's part of why she's been so reluctant to come. "Rebuilding is never easy," she says softly, "but, it can lead to better things. Learning from the past and.. whatnot. I'm glad you're able to see it that way." Because the alternative would've been to give up, which never really seems like an option... "With Safrin's protection by next year, hopefully you won't have to worry so much about the monsoons," she adds on as a means to encourage.

At the realization that Maeve hadn't heard, Aurelia supposes she can't be too surprised herself. It's been a busy season... for all of them. And it's not as if it was shouted from the rooftops, though at the time she accepted it, she might've liked to do that. Such hopeful excitement for the future is much dimmer now. "For the most part, yes" she answers with a careful tone, "especially after what's happened, I want to be here just in case..."

But she lets Maeve tell her side of things, and as her voice fills the tent, Aurelia takes to writing it all down. Every detail that she can manage goes into the notes, though she does try to collect them into bullet points so that it's easier for her to keep up. She nods at certain things, showing that she's listening. By the time Maeve finishes on a final note and Hotaru's name is aired again, Aurelia sets down the pencil between the pages she's written. Her chin tilts back up to regard Maeve, to read the emotions there, to try and decipher what lies between the lines.

A held breath escapes her nose quietly, and she chews at the inside of her lip for a moment. "How close are you with Hotaru?" She asks, and this part is perhaps less necessary of a question. But an account of someone's character can make a bit of a difference. "Do you think she'd do something like this?" She's interested to hear Maeve's answer, because her own is that she most certainly didn't didn't expect this of the woman who she'd thought was entirely loyal to Sunjata.
Aurelia
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve watches as she writes everything down, expression soft and open, making it seem as if she has absolutely nothing to hide. Which, she doesn't. Not really. It's easy to pretend that her involvement with Hotaru is something small and insignificant. Not because it was, but because acting like it's something more would mean that the other woman would be in more danger than she already is. Maeve takes another slow sip of her tea, letting the questions Aurelia airs settle between them and considering what to reveal.

"I wouldn't say we're very close. I met her just before she left and knew of her skills as a glassmaker. I wrote to her shortly before the monsoons started with a request for a pendant I needed for a quest. I met her in Halo to discuss things and was meant to see her again to get the pendants from her." Maeve licks her lips, shifting in her chair to get more comfortable, "I hadn't seen her since. I didn't even know she was in Torchline." Another half truth. Maeve did know she was in Torchline, but she didn't know this was why. She looks up at Aurelia from beneath her lashes, shrugging her shoulders as she looks up at the other woman, drawing her bottom lip between her teeth.

The last question was harder. Did she think that Hotaru would do something like this? Yeah, she did. She knew that she was capable of it. Hotaru would burn everything down. She had razed kingdoms to the ground, claiming them for her own, but Maeve wasn't going to tell her that. Instead she takes a breath, shaking her head slowly, "I never thought that she would. I don't know her all that well, but she didn't seem the type to do something like that. I know that things were complicated between her and Sunjata, but never to the point that I thought she would seek revenge." And whether this was about revenge or something else entirely, Maeve couldn't say for sure.

Maeve considers speaking further, but ultimately decides there isn't much to lose, "One other person knows that she was here. Seren, my friend, the one who tried to save Atlas. I told her that Atlas was Hotaru's companion. Admittedly, I warned her not to say anything. I was hoping that maybe I could find Hotaru and try to talk to her to figure things out before blame was tossed around. It's a heavy accusation. I'm sure you understand." She explains, hoping to effectively shift possible blame, but not sure if it would actually work. Things would go how they're going to go, but she will try to do what she can. "I never did find her."
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
All she had wanted was honesty and yet, as Maeve's relation with Hotaru becomes muddled by 'not very close' and knowing about the woman's personal issues with Sunjata... suspicion arouses within Aurelia like a flame. While it may be small, it is sure and strong. Why stick out your neck for a glassmaker? Why worry about what happened to her in such a way that she'd seek her out? And, besides all Seren had told her, Aurelia knows how easy it is for Maeve to sink her teeth into people - even from a one-time meeting.

She wonders and ponders over that for a moment, over the mention of going to Locke's house in the dead of night - just before sunrise. Maeve was a woman of passion, but never held to any one person. It wouldn't surprise her in the least if there was something deeper between her and Hotaru. The intricate way Maeve has coated her words is a dishonesty that also isn't quite a lie. Omitting is just as bad as lying, however, when Aurelia had asked her to leave nothing out.

Alas, she makes no mention of her inner thoughts. She is silent for some time, and perhaps there's a depth to that she can't hide. "It is a serious accusation and it won't be taken lightly," she finally states, glancing down at the glass of iced tea that she still has not touched. She's reminded of a conversation she had with Hotaru, once, where they too drank tea and talked about things that were important. How it was important to remain loyal and supportive to one's allies. To give them a reason to come back home.

Aurelia decides that she doesn't like tea very much anymore, that traitors breed further lies and contention, and nothing here will lead to anymore accomplishment.

She licks her lips, which feel parched from her unease. "Well, I know you're a busy woman, and if that's all you want to tell me," she shifts in her seat, shutting the book closed with a gentle slap of its leatherbound pages, "I won't take up anymore of your time. Thank you, Maeve. I know you and I have had our... I know I've made mistakes," she quickly corrects herself, looking up at the dark-haired woman with a grim earnesty, "and I know things... should've been different. In many ways. But if you ever think of anything else, or if you're ever in need of help, please come and find me." An olive branch extended, regardless of the things that have passed, because they don't truly know the things that may come of all this. Or at the very least, it's a sign that she does not wish to be this woman's enemy, and she never did.
Aurelia
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve watches as she turns the words over in her head and while Aurelia might usually be good at keeping those inner musings off of her face, the silence is telling and Maeve quickly picks up that the woman before her has her doubts. "I realize some of that might sound contradicting. That I don't know her very well, but would bother to seek her out after the event. I suppose I wanted to let her know that I'd tried to help with her companion, but also to find answers myself for what had happened. Sunjata told me why she left, but we didn't discuss it in great detail." She explains evenly, not letting her voice give too much away even as it dips into something softer, an almost demure expression crossing her features.

"This isn't exactly pressing to the investigation, but I don't want you to think that I'm keeping anything from you." Maeve starts, tucking a stray curl behind he ear as she dips her chin slightly, "In exchange for the pendants I offered a night of my services. I didn't learn much about her personally, but there was involvement. I- I'm not trying to protect her by any means, Aurelia. Believe me when I say that I don't want to interfere with the investigation." There is a clear sincerity in her voice and whether or not Aurelia believes her is something else entirely, but right now, it is clear that she's not lying. At least not about this. "I just didn't think that information was... entirely relevant. I really didn't know she was here or what she was planning. It wasn't until after the fact that I found that out."

Maeve isn't expecting an apology from the other woman and it takes her by surprise, brows knitting together as a faint flush rises to her cheeks. She clears her throat, offering her a small smile, "For what it's worth, I don't regret that day together. I regret how it went, but I can see how my acceptance for such things might have been too much for you." She murmurs, peeking up at her from beneath her lashes, trying to soothe whatever remaining tension lingers between them. "If I find anything else out, I'll be sure to tell you. Thank you for the offer as well. I'll keep that in mind."
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia takes it all in, the afterthoughts, the seemingly 'unimporant' details, the defense. She nods slowly when Maeve is finished with the load of information, swallowing it all down, trying to commit it to memory. The journal in her hands opens a few times to make more pressing notes, though it's held in such a way that Maeve won't be able to see them. "Relevant or not, anything you know or thought you knew about Hotaru can be helpful. Something is better than nothing..." she sighs, and soon bites her tongue as Maeve seems to want to shift the conversation. Her journal is tucked away because she doesn't wish to press further about the investigation and it feels as though she's gathered enough information to at least... well, she's not entirely sure. It will require some ruminating but, it's enough.

There's no regret on Maeve's part, which serves some bit of relief. Aurelia doesn't know why it does at first. But it's because she thought that surely Maeve was angry, upset, bitter. She thought that her own actions would have soiled everything, not just those last moments.

Maeve peers up at her and her gaze is immediately drawn to those dark, lengthy lashes. Her heart caves a little bit and, yet, a stubborn frown pulls down the corners of her lips. "I still value what we shared, even if it was just for a moment. You gave me something rare and I won't pretend you didn't. But... that's all it was; a moment."

"You saw what I did to Hotaru's companion. Now that you've seen it for yourself, can you really tell me that you'd still accept me for everything I've done? Because who you saw that night... is who I really am," she tilts her head slightly and her gaze hardens, "You can't possibly be able to look at me the same after that, and you can't tell me otherwise. I'm not a fool," her bottom lip curls over her teeth bitterly. It hurts to say words that feel so packed with harsh venom, but she knows it's the truth.
Aurelia
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

They shift away from talk of the fire and Hotaru, instead turning their attention to the short time they spent together and how quickly that all fell apart. Maeve draws her bottom lip between her teeth, a nervous habit she's never really been able to break, listening to the words that fall from the other woman's lips. She wasn't looking for a fight. She didn't even think that Aurelia would push the topic further. Part of her was hoping that she wouldn't, letting sleeping dogs lie and all that, but that would have been too easy.

"Just because something only lasts a moment doesn't mean it's any less important. Any less special." Maeve murmurs, eyes dipping down to the frown that pulls on plush lips, trying hard not to remember the feeling of them on her skin. It was easier before when she wasn't face to face with her, but now sensations from that day come rushing back to her, creating a fluttering in her belly that she wasn't prepared for.

A breath pushes past her lips as her eyes lift back to Aurelia, sea glass gaze growing a touch darker as the conversation wears on, but a sadness swirls in those depths as she holds the other woman's stare. "I won't lie and say that I don't struggle with understanding why you did it. It's difficult to see you as that and as the woman who shared my bed. Who offered me protection." Maeve offers eyes softly, reaching up to tuck a stray curl behind her ear as she considers her words, sifting through the venom that coats Aurelia's own argument as she tries her best to see the words for what they are. "No, Aurelia, I can't look at you the same. I won't pretend that I'm not sheltered against those things. I've never had to kill or fight before. My first instinct is to help instead of harm. Of course I'm going to struggle to accept that is sometimes the only option."

Maeve pauses, leaning forward a touch as she holds the other woman's stare, a sincerity in her eyes, "But that doesn't mean I don't understand. Do I think that you're only that person all I saw that night? No, I don't because the Aurelia that I met and was beginning to know was more than just a killer."
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
She sighs. "I know," she murmurs tiredly. But the point wasn't the importance of it; it was the fact that it didn't or couldn't last. Dwelling on that is difficult for her even now, even though it seems as if it's a conversation that's been sorely needed.

Aurelia is not be able to fully relate to the instinct of always trying to help instead of harm, and so she can't pretend to be empathetic to this. She can understand it, of course, but.. that only goes so far. Her instincts have been molded and sharpened to the edge of a blade or, most recently in her life, emblazoned to the bite of a flame. The world is not black and white, things are never undeniably 'good' nor 'evil' when these things are purely subjective. Feeling that so intimately, it's hard for Aurelia to try and think solely one way or another.

Sometimes the only way to help is to harm, and she's willing to do that if no one else is.

But she knows, too, that Maeve doesn't understand that, and so she tries to explain her side too, "I don't do things thinking that 'I want to harm instead of help'. I don't want to be a killer... you know that," her words are somber, as if it is a desire that can't be achieved. "I still want to protect you, but it's not just you. It's all of Torchline. I consider this place my home and I won't let anyone get away with... trying to burn it down, any part of it, for whatever reason," she swallows as she feels a slight tremor begin to build into her voice, though she does go on to admit, "but... it means a lot to know that you can see me for more than my darkest moments. I- I've only ever tried to protect you, Maeve. Even if that means from myself. Even if you don't always understand it..."
Aurelia
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"I know. It was one of the things you told me that day. I know that isn't what you want. That it isn't the choice you want to make, but you will if you have to." There is an understanding swirling in her eyes, giving away that she isn't so naïve to think that Aurelia only wants to cause harm. She knows that isn't the case. From the very beginning it was clear that Aurelia was a protector and she would do what she had to in order to keep those she cared about safe. She was willing to make the hard choices and that was more than Maeve could say for some people. "I wouldn't expect you to. Someone has to be willing to fight for this place and Sunjata knew you would be willing."

Maeve doesn't know what it is that pulls her out of her seat, urging her to circle the small desk that's set up slowly until she's standing in front of the other woman. Gently she reaches forward, fingers sliding along her jaw until she's cupping her cheek as she leans into her space, eyes searching Aurelia's. It's odd, seeing the similarities in the features of her new face and the one that she used to have, but the feeling is the same. There is a still a rush and swoop in her belly, a fluttering of her pulse, and a quickening of her breath. Maeve licks her lips, thumb brushing gently across her cheek, "You've never just been your darkest moments to me. I always knew there was more to you. I'd be blind not to see it." She murmurs, a small smile curling on her lips as she gazes at her through thick lashes, pulse seeming to drown out the sound of distant waves.

"I missed you when you left, Aurelia. There was so much that I wanted... I wanted you even though your words hurt me. A part of me still wants you and I think a part of you still wants me even though we know it would likely not work." Her voice drops into something barely above a whisper, this confession meant only for the woman sitting in the chair before her. Maeve doesn't know how they got here. This wasn't how she saw things going, but she can't help wondering if they could have been more. If they had the chance to grow. So many lost opportunities that they would never explore.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia's surprised by the insight given, and it's an evident emotion that flickers in her gaze as she watches Maeve speak. She offers only a quiet nod, though so much is said within it. That it's true, that she will if she feels she has to. She can try to be better, she can try to do better the next time and learn from her mistakes, but she can never be something she isn't.

Maeve gets up and Aurelia's brows shift, her gaze churning and growing darker. She leans back in her seat, her hands falling to the arms of the chair. There's an instinctual push back, to shrink away from the touch as Maeve's hand reaches out to cup her cheek. Her fingers grasp firmly around the arms of the chair. Her chin tips down and her gaze averts just as Maeve's thumb begins to stroke her skin, though she doesn't pull away - not entirely. It's a bit too much for her to handle still, though she doesn't want to hurt Maeve again. She feels torn.

I missed you, Maeve says, and though her words are genuine and soft it feels wounding. Aurelia's glassy eyes turn back up to look at her and her lips part as if she might try to say something. But Maeve goes on, still wants you.

The confession is jarring. Aurelia hadn't expected this at all and, furthermore, she's the one who doesn't understand. One of her hands reaches up to gently grasp Maeve's, to pull it down from her own cheek and hold it within her fingers. Why she holds on, she doesn't know. "I don't know why you still care for me, and so deeply, too..." she says, eyes closing with the weight, "I'll only end up hurting you again." Her gaze opens and, when it does, she lets go of Maeve's hand. "And that's not what I want."
Aurelia
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

There is a moment where Maeve fears she's overstepped. Auerlia's eyes dip down, avoiding her gaze as the entirety of her body tenses, fingers gripping the arms of the chair she's sitting in with a vice grip. She almost draws back, almost apologizes, but Aurelia doesn't pull away from her and Maeve decides in that moment to linger. The arbiter isn't the only one overwhelmed with how things were going. Still, Maeve sticks to it, unable to fight the sudden urge that's taken over her. Maybe it's the loss of Hotaru. Maybe it's the familiarity of Aurelia. Maybe it's something else entirely. Maeve doesn't know, but whatever it is draws her closer to the other woman.

I don't know why you still care for me. Maeve doesn't either, if she's being honest, but whatever this barely budding romance between them was had stuck with her. A part of her didn't really believe that Aurelia had wanted to leave. She knows it in her bones. The thing that drove this woman away wasn't Maeve, but the idea of hurting her. Isn't that a silly thought? To run away from someone so they wouldn't be hurt even though they want you to stay? Before Maeve had been too caught up in the emotion of it all to realize that Aurelia was making a choice for her. A choice that she never agreed to or wanted herself.

A soft breath pushes past her lips as Aurelia reaches up to take her hand, wrapping her fingers around the Madame's and drawing it down into her lap, but she doesn't release her yet. The Madame licks her lips, sea glass gaze searching her face as she listens to her speak, already working on her response. "Don't I get to decide if I don't mind being hurt, Aurelia? We barely had a chance..." Maeve murmurs as she releases her hand, leaving her standing there, exposing herself once more. "I'm not afraid of being hurt. That's the least of my worries."