get my good side
For Bastien <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
I get them all worked up and down on their knees, you see
It was maybe a bit premature to seek something like a painted commission out for a building that wasn't fully constructed yet, but Maeve knew that finer art took time. If you wanted something done right you couldn't rush the process an this was something she wanted done right. It was her first portrait. The portrait that would hang in the Halenani, establishing her presence as the Madame of the establishment and setting the tone for what her clients could expect. That was the main reason, but a little more selfishly, Maeve wished to have the experience more than anything else. To be the focus of a piece of art was somewhat of a secret desire of hers.

Which is how she found herself at the Artist's Sanctuary. It seemed the best place to start when looking for someone who could give her what she wanted. Maeve stepped inside the small hall, currently sitting empty besides the various furniture that filled the space, but it was no less warm for it's lack of patronage. She moved further into the room, slipping her bag from her shoulder and setting it down onto one of the table tops, "Hello?" Maeve called out, eyes slowly slipping over the room in search of another person. Perhaps this Bastien everyone told her to find. Wouldn't that be a treat?
They take my fingers in their mouths like it's poetry
Maeve
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
they will shake their heads and wag their fingers
by daybreak we'll be gone
It had been a quiet day so far at the Sanctuary; Azreal had gone back out to the ruins, no one was here to learn or create and the ever-looming threat of war had yet to show it's actual face. Using the lull, Bastien had been tidying around in the upstairs, which had admittedly grown quite cluttered between both Rexanna and Az leaving him to fend on his own up there. Occasionally he passed Rex's portrait and chattered to her as he moved things about, making sure to neatly hang her clothes and organise her trinkets.

A call downstairs caught his attention and he placed down the golden skirt in his hands, going to stand at the top of the stairs and look down - seeing a young woman there, someone he didn't recognise, Bastien headed down with a welcoming smile on his face. "Hello! Welcome to the Artist's Sanctuary. Can I help you, signora nera?"
BASTIEN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The voice that rang out is distinctly masculine, catching the Madame by surprise as a soft gasp pushed past painted lips, sea glass eyes quickly settling on the man who appeared at the bottom of the stairs. Her surprised expression is quickly replaced with one of her signature smiles, breezing forward a few steps as she extended a hand to him, "I'm hoping you can actually. I'm in need of a portrait." She offered as explanation for her being here. It was a simple enough request and she was hopeful such a thing could be satisfied today. "I was told to look for a gentleman named Bastien. That wouldn't be you, would it?" Maeve hummed, arching a brow as innocent curiosity sparked in her gaze, waiting for a confirmation as to whether she'd gotten lucky or not.

She let her eyes run over him quickly, noting his tan complexion, dark locks, and strong jaw. He was definitely handsome. Whether or not he was her type was to be determined, but he was certainly nice to look at for the time being. Something that was always helpful when particular forms of payment might be on the table.
Maeve
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Now, Bastien would be very happy if his appearance was greeted with a gasp every time and Maeve immediately worked herself into his good graces (though truthfully most people started there anyway). Coming to the bottom of the stairs and hopping off the last, he grinned as he leaned back against the wall and crossed his arms. "Need of a portrait? Sounds serious, my dear."

Asked if he was Bastien he laid a hand on his chest (bare; he did not care to wear shirts inside his own studio) and closed his eyes. "Indeed, it is I." Identity confirmed he swanned into the room proper, glancing back at Maeve and then going to stand by the pile of canvases at the back wall. "What is this portrait for? A lover, or personal admiration...or some kind of official capacity...?" He'd done all of them before, and they all required a different kind of attention.
BASTIEN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
It was always so easy to slip into the role of charming, sweet, and playful vixen. That state of being practically second nature to her. Maeve offered him a dazzling smile that lit up her whole face, bringing a spark to her sea glass gaze that wasn't there before as she drifted towards him, clasping her hands in front of her. The Madame nodded gravely, a seriousness settling on her features as she came to a stop before him, "Oh it is incredibly serious, sir. I can't be expected to open without one." Maeve looked up at him from beneath her lashes expectantly, but he quickly confirmed that he is in fact the man that she was looking for.

Quickly shifting out of the way, Maeve trailed after him, watching the muscles in his back shift and flex with each step her took. Even with his slight limp, the man breezed through the space like it was nothing, clearly comfortable here. Maeve hummed softly, head tilting to the side, "Isn't that a question... I suppose it is a mix of things. I'm needing a portrait for my business, but this isn't just any business. I'm the Madame of the Halenani." A coy smirk curled on painted lips as she stopped to lean against a table, settling easily in the space as he flipped through his canvas. "The best brothel in Torchline."
Maeve
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
Bastien had known many, many sexy vixens in his life (in fact, it could be argued he had sometimes been one himself) and was not particularly bowled over by Maeve's appearance, though he did note that she was attractive, the same way a painter noted the aesthetic pleasure of anything else. Painting her portrait would be a treat, easy as well - it was always simpler to capture a pleasing image of a beautiful young woman than anyone else.

"Ahh. I have heard of this place." He nodded, choosing a rectangular canvas about three feet tall and pulling it out, holding it before his face and over Maeve in his view for a moment. "I don't have much use for brothels - now I am Ascended and previously I had no troubles finding anyone to sleep with-" There was maybe a little pride in that statement, a smile that bordered on smug. "-but I value anywhere that keeps people free and easy. Reminds them to enjoy themselves."

Seemingly pleased with his choice, Bastien took the canvas and placed it on an easel in the centre of the room. "Well. If you are available now, I could do an initial sketch. It is your decision if you wish to be stood, laying, how your hair should be...clothed, unclothed-" He shrugged. "It makes no difference to me."
BASTIEN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
This part she knew about him. Just like she knew he was the one who tended to the room. Adam had told her as much. Maeve hummed softly, watching him consider the size of the canvas, holding it up to examine the stretched fabric. She examined her nails absentmindedly, waiting for her queue to move as she listened to him speak, a soft laugh rising in her throat as she finally pushed away from the table. "I like to think we do a good job of that. Not that the citizens of Torchline need much of a reminder to enjoy themselves." The coastal town was a place of indulgence for anyone who set foot on its shores thanks to the lawless nature of it.

As he got set up, Maeve moved towards the space before him, taking in the different options presented to her. Lips pursed in consideration, she chose the chaise lounge that was positioned, shifting a few pillows this way and that until she was pleased with their positioning. "I have plenty of time." She replied easily, offering him a smile over her shoulder as she fixed her curls to lay the way she wished. It wasn't until she had to decide on her state of dress that she faltered, head cocking to the side thoughtfully, fingers fidgeting with the ties of her dress. Ultimately she decided for something in between. A freshly ravaged look, if you will.

With that, she settled on the chaise, lounging almost lazily with her skirt hitched up to show off her legs and the bodice falling from her shoulders. It kept all the important bits truly covered, but left plenty to be titillated by. "Feel free to shift me however works best."
Maeve
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
"Mm. If I were not committed here, I would like to spend more time on the beaches there." Of course, the whole allergic-to-the-sun thing came into it too, but Bastien didn't like to dwell on that which he couldn't control. Besides, he did actually like the Hollowed Grounds, as dreary and depressing as it could be - liked the challenge of infusing it with colour as often as he could.

He watched her go to the lounge and organise it, a private little smile on his lips; usually, people would stare at him blankly and ask that he set them up, unsure of how their bodies looked best. Clearly, Maeve had confidence and knowledge of herself, and he respected that. "Beautiful. Respectable, but alluring - perfect for your establishment." He commented, once she had gotten herself situated.

Shrugging to indicate he was fine with her how she was, Bastien leaned down to pick up various pencils and brushes from a pot by the easel. "So, how did you come to own this Halenani? Last time I heard, our local Midwife was in charge, though I did always think that was an odd fit."
BASTIEN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
"I'd offer to let you come indulge in all the fine things our little coastal town has to offer, but I don't know if you'd find much satisfaction on our shores. A few of us, namely myself, have been known to travel though. I actually came out to the room you keep with a client not long ago." It was nice not having to skirt around what she did, able to freely discuss her work without fear of someone else's delicacies. It wasn't that she normally did, but some people were bothered by her line of work, no understanding why she did it or how she stomached it, finding it odd that she chose to stay in it at all.

The compliment was well received and she preened under the praise, flashing him a sweet smile, lounging back comfortably with a sigh while he gathered what he needed to begin. "Phoebe decided that it was time for her to move on. She had been gone for a while and in her stead I took up the responsibilities that came with running things." Maeve began to explain, mindful of keeping her hands in place, not shifting them too much as she spoke. "When she finally returned she believed that it would be better suited under my hand." It had been doing well up until the monsoons put them out of business for the time being. Was rather hard to run a brothel when there wasn't a brothel to run.

"Unfortunately we suffered a bit with the monsoons and have been closed most of the season. In the process of rebuilding now, but we should be done by the first of next season at the latest."
Maeve
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
"Ooohhh. And I suppose I cannot ask who this client was?" He asked, with a knowing smile; Bastien loved his gossip, but he knew people of Maeve's profession were often tied with vows of silence. "Honestly though, I have been taking physical connection as it turns up, but I am not concerned with seeking it out so much nowadays. I love to paint and the Voice took away the drive for those things...with my wife away, I just let it happen when it does." He shrugged.

Bastien hadn't seen Phoebe in quite a long time (something he wasn't necessarily sad about) - that she'd moved on wasn't surprising, though. "I thought it seemed odd. Do you enjoy running the place, then? You still see customers yourself?" Once he'd gotten senior enough authority in his Artist's Sanctuary in Venice, all commissions had been given down to his students, but he supposed this was a little different.

Tracing the outline of her body with his pencil in the air, he went to transfer it to canvas. "Ah. And the news of this war doesn't worry you?"
BASTIEN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
"You can ask, but I can't promise I'll tell. He did say you kept the room nicely, though." Maeve quipped, offering him a smile and a dip of her head. Not that she thought Adam would really care all that much, but she wasn't in the habit of giving out the names of her clients. Whether that was something Bastien found out himself was different, but she wasn't going to be the one letting it loose. "Well, I will owe you for this little project. The offer is open. Unless you'd prefer something else for payment?" She asked, arching a brow as her head cocked to the side curiously, seaglass gaze running over his form almost lazily. The Madame wouldn't take offence if he did pick something else, but it was what most people wanted from her and thus she lead with it.

It was odd. Phoebe wasn't the best fit for the place. While she cared about her workers, she didn't exactly have what it took to really be in the thick of things, but that wasn't her fault. Some people weren't made for it. "I do enjoy it. I've been there since it was established and helped Phoebe out a lot. It just made sense that I should move into the position once she stepped down." As for still seeing clients? Her lips twitched, eyes sparking mischievously, "I have a few clients I still choose to see. Some that have business arrangements with me. That kind of thing."

Maeve wasn't a fan of talking about the war, not liking the way it always made things so heavy, stealing away whatever ease had settled into the room. She sighed, pursing her lips, "Of course I'm worried about the war. I wish it didn't have to be a concern, but that's just the way of things now."
Maeve
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
"Maintaining it is an easy duty, though often a...sticky one. I've learnt a lot about the lives of the Ascended in Caido." Bastien said diplomatically, not revealing too much. He actually didn't mind the job; he'd never been shy about that kind of thing, and it was nice to provide some kind of positive service for his people.

As for anything else for payment...Bastien shrugged. "I often do paintings just for the joy of it, so payment is...not high on my mind. If I think of something, I'll let you know, but...consider it a gift. Congratulations on your new enterprise." It was hardly going to take him a long time - portraits of beautiful women were a common request, one he was very well practiced in, and the size was smaller than he usually worked.

Painting the smile on her lips into the picture, just the slightest upward curve on the edges of her mouth, he smiled along with her. "Very lucky, I'm sure. Do you have a partner?" He'd known plenty of whores with happy marriages, so didn't consider it a contradiction.

The war did, indeed, suck all joy out of a conversation, but with it about to do that to their lives, it felt odd to ignore it. Still, he nodded, seeing that the topic upset her: "My apologies. It is on my mind - between you and I, I may be in some way in charge of this place soon, and the pressures of the future weigh heavily. I envy you your smaller world."
BASTIEN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Her brow arched, head cocking to the side curiously at his choice of words. She could understand how he would learn so much of his fellow Ascended given the task. Especially as they all had to get the key from him before they could even get inside. "Sticky? I would imagine so... The brothel used to be self cleaning, but we don't have the same blessing from Frey that we did before. They had no interest in helping this time around." The faintest hint of bitterness colored her tone for only a moment before it was gone again, clearly the Madame had her own feelings about that particular herald.

"Very well then. I appreciate your kindness. Should something come to mind, a small favor or anything, do let me know. From what I know of your work it almost seems like a crime not to give in return." Maeve told him genuinely, peering at him from his position behind the easel, but she wasn't going to push him. It was clearly a joy for him to do and Maeve was more than happy to receive the fruits of his labor, but she didn't like owing people. That wasn't her way.

A faint flush rose to her cheeks at the question, a huff of a laugh pushing past her lips, "I do. It's... new. Very new. I'm hopeful, though. Not everyone is so understanding of what it is I do or about the fact that I genuinely enjoy my work. Sex is.." Maeve waved a hand almost dismissively, "It's enjoyable and fun. Don't get me wrong, but it's the connections I enjoy so much. I help my clients with more than just their desires. I'm their friend, confidant, and so much more. They're safe with me. That's something special." As an artist, he surely understood what she meant.

"It's alright. There isn't really ignoring it now, is there? It's coming for all of us whether we want it or not. I hoped that my world being so small would spare me, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The threat of it has found my little sanctuary. All I can do now is try to keep my workers from feeling the effects of it too harshly." Maeve sighed, shifting minutely to get more comfortable, eyes flicking up to his, "Congratulations, by the way. A role of leadership is nothing to scoff at. No matter how much strain it brings."
Maeve
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
"Mm, I'm not surprised...when I received their blessings for the room across the street, it was before I ascended. I was hosting a party with Ascended guests, but I myself had not yet gone to the Voice, and it was different time. Less serious." Bastien tilted his head from side to side. "Now, with the war looming and with an explicit goal to help Ascended, I doubt you'd get anywhere." Not impossible, but not likely; he could only dream of the kind of orgy needed to get the God's attention at this point.

Any praise for his work always had Bastien preening and pleased; with a smile he winked. "Your compliments are more than enough for the time being." Really though, having connections was valuable in of itself.

Nodding as she explained about her partner, adding some darker tones in the background for colour to contrast her pale skin and the white in her hair, Bastien understood what she meant. While he had never been exactly in her position, as artist, mentor, tutor and often lover, he had seen how much more sex could be than a touch and a whisper in the night. "Oh, I know. It takes a strong and emphatic person to do your work; honestly, I find it attractive. I'm not sure why so many shy away from it - but then, I've never understood most people's attitudes about these things."

As she spoke of the war he added in a fleck of something darker in her eyes, the intelligence he could see there as she considered it's effects. "It will touch us all, one way or another. Thank you - my aim with the position is to try and make sure it has as little impact as possible on the people."
BASTIEN