Training brother run fast
Neron! <3
Varus Callahan
Assassin / Hollowed Grounds Captain

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
and all their words for glory, well they always sounded empty
Before they leave and head back to the Grounds, Varus chooses to take a trek to the Kraai – a space he’s heard about, a place that’s absolutely new in comparison to what he remembered being in its place so many centuries ago. He’s still surprised to see how busy it is, even when the sun’s dipped below the horizon, a fire in the mantel that keeps it warm and only reflects against the red and leather hunting lodge appearance.

He finds it oddly charming, all things considered, slipping in and approaching the bar in its entirety, casting a glance around for anything of interest. He obviously can’t drink and feel anything, but that doesn’t mean he can’t hear anything that happens – wondering how far the rabbit hole of the Infirmary of the Grounds burning down had gone, if there were any information here on top of his idle curiosity.

He doesn’t sit, simply walks along the side of the bar, scanning everything with interest, wearing clothes certainly not suitable for most Halovians who weren’t Ascended, plus the whole glittering metal arm that’s reflecting the oil lamps and lanterns.
VARUS
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
Neron

At the end of the bar, a tumbler of whiskey frosted with ice awaits Varus, placed there by a barman dressed all in black with a welcoming, fanged sort of smile. Neron has seen him walk in, and if the metal arm isn't enough to suggest the Voice's involvement, the utter lack of care towards the cold is a pretty big hint. Nudging the drink towards him, he straightens up and beckons for him to take a seat if he likes.

"Evening, brother," he murmurs - their Ascended family is very close knit as of late, but Neron doesn't recognise anything about this newcomer. "Neron," he introduces himself. "I own the bar. You new to Halo?" Or new to being Ascended in general, perhaps?
i am mine
before i am ever anyone else’s
Varus Callahan

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
His curiosity only peaks when he finds the drink slid his way, the suggestion to sit from a man dressed in black, with fangs as sharp as his own. And Varus is instantly intrigued. Instead of taking the offered seat, Varus leans against his metal arm on the top of the bar table, flashing a bright fanged grin toward him. “Evening.” He replies easily, straightening up as he gets the name of the owner, apparently, a feat that has a surprised raise of his brows occurring as he reaches for the icy, cold glass.

Cal.” He greets. “And no, not new. This is new, though.” The metal arm lifts to gesture to the bar. “I was looking for the training grounds, actually, trying to get reacquainted with Halo after all this time. Could use an eye if you’re interested…” He pauses as he considers Neron. “Brother.” He downs the glass quickly, without the hint of a burn on his face, just an amused lift of his lips as he looks back at Neron.
VARUS
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Neron

"It's not that new." Neron smirks, rubbing at his chin and shrugging his shoulders. "Then again I suppose Halo didn't get a lot of visitors until recently. Either way, I hope it's to your liking." The decor and atmosphere at least, even if he can't really say much for the drinks given how little they can taste. The mention of training grounds, though, that piques his interest, Neron gesturing for the newcomer to follow him.

He calls to let the rest of the staff know that he's taking a break, leading them out of the Kraai once more and into the night and the snow. "The grounds are new even to me," he remarks. "You will find them in the Deepfrost Barracks. I'm sure they won't mind if we use them for a bit. Now, when you say an eye..." Are they going to be training together? Or is Neron ust there for 'support'?
i am mine
Varus Callahan

Change author:
New enough.” Varus rumbles with a huff of a chuckle. He’d been around and to Halo long before the barrier was put in place, long before it had become lost to everyone within the barrier. But that’s a conversation that can come up later, because right now he’s focused on trying to find the new training grounds, on keeping himself in tip top shape.

Luckily, Neron agrees, and Varus pushes off from the seat he’s chosen in order to follow Neron, casting a glance toward the rest of staff as Neron departs. The information is helpful, that it was truly new even for those that had been here for a while, and it’s likely the reason why he’d been unable to find it. “Well, wouldn’t mind a partner if you’re up for it. Though if you’re not, I suppose a spotter works too. Working on my throwing knives.” He comments idly, pulling a knife out of seemingly nowhere, flipping it blade over handle with dexterity in his metal hand, before he tucks it away and flashes Neron a wink.
VARUS
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron

They set off together down salted streets to keep the ice at bay, lamplight casting a ruddy glow over everything. Neron takes them towards the glittering ruin of the Palace that hangs overhead; he has little doubt that Varus will see that as new, because it had only appeared when the Launceleyn had arrived in Caido. "I can partner with you. It's been a while for me as well, since I trained myself properly."

He glances across at his fellow Ascended to hear about the throwing knives, catching Varus's wink and the dance of a blade across his knuckles. "Not so keen to get up close and personal?" he guesses, before flashing him a fanged grin. He is the same, of course, and he lifts a hand to fire off a spray of ice shards across the ground before them. "I hope you've got a lot of knives."
i am mine
Varus Callahan

Change author:
The glittering castle is new, somewhat shocking to see against the darkened horizon. But Varus remains swiftly recovered, content and watchful for the path they take – committing it to memory in case he needed to know where it was again. “Sounds like a plan, then.” Varus offers with a flash of a fanged smile – pleased to have a training partner. As for the show of his blade, the Ascended shrugs in response to Neron’s question.

Sometimes. Warning shots are always fun, though.” He makes a show as if he’s considering it, before his gaze finds Neron’s magic spreading shards across the ground in front of them – a low whistle leaving Varus with a soft laugh. “You got extra bites stored up in there somewhere?” He asks, because as far as he knows, Abandoned and Ascended hybrids simply… Weren’t a thing. Ever. At all.
VARUS
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron

It does sound like a plan, and Neron presses onward so they might reach the training grounds within the barracks sooner rather than later. "Warning shots are fun as long as you aren't serious about winning," he fires back with a fanged smile, heading around the side of the barracks so they might hop straight over the walls and into the training area. "And I do have an upgrade that lets me store three bites, funnily enough. But the magic is all mine."

Clambering over the wall, he waves a hand to clear the ice and snow from the path that they're going to walk down. "I was an Abandoned before I became an Ascended. I have both my own magic, as well as everything my Ascended side affords me. It's... well. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't useful."
i am mine
Varus Callahan

Change author:
Neron’s quick response rouses Varus’ amusement – a huff of a laugh as his hands rise in front of him, palms facing Neron with a grin that spreads. “Damn, alright.” He chuckles, following the Ascended through the side of the barracks toward the shortcut to the training grounds. He’s attentive to the information the hybrid offers, humming in thought, unable to answer right away as he hops over the side of the wall as well.

He watches in idle surprise at the way Neron seems to clear out the ice from the path and Varus idly swipes away some of the snow that’s collected on his metal arm while they continue to walk into the center of the training grounds. “An Ascended hybrid, huh? You’re the first I’ve met.” He comments offhandedly. It wasn’t a thing back then and to hear that it was a possible thing? Well, that was certainly something astonishing.

Of course he won’t admit it.

Reaching the middle, Varus reaches for a knife, taking a few steps away from Neron to gain some distance between them. “Alright, guess let’s see what this hybrid can do.” Flashing Neron a bright grin, he wastes little time in immediately aiming a knife at the other Ascended and lets it fly.
VARUS
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron

"I am honoured," Neron says with a fanged grin, a hand pressing to his chest to hear that he is the very first hybrid that Cal has had the pleasure of meeting. "Here's hoping that I make a good impression on you, hm?" So far so good at least, as they walk together to the centre of the training grounds. All is quiet and still at this time of night - it isn't really a good time to train, he supposes, unless you are Ascended.

And it's unfortunate, really, that he's looking around and not at Cal, because his making a good impression is about to go horribly wrong. No sooner has he heard the words when a knife is lancing through the air. Neron doesn't even try to dodge, so unexpected was it, and instead it merely thocks into his right shoulder, buried to the hilt. The hybrid gazes down at it with a furrowed brow, then back up at his new acquaintance.

"How rude," he says, though his smirk betrays him. Without warning, he sends a flurry of ice shards back at the other man, wondering if his ability to dodge will be better. (It can hardly be worse).
i am mine
Varus Callahan

Change author:
Yes indeed, here’s hoping you make a good impression Neron. So far, though, even with the knife jutting out of his shoulder, it does spark an amused grin from Varus with the rudeness of his attack. “Guess you gotta pay more attention, brother.” He teases, immediately going to ready the next knife when the ice shards are shot out toward him.

The ice comes close, but it’s night and Varus is quick and somewhat back into his training routine despite his shut down. So he manages to evade the ice, this time, with a side stepped twist that has his arm coming down to throw the next knife at Neron – hoping that his aim is still on target.

Maybe Neron by the end of it they’ll both look like pincushions, if Neron’s ice manages to get him.
VARUS
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron

Oh, Neron is absolutely going to look like a pincushion by the end of this. As he sends out his ice shards he concentrates on removing the knife in his shoulder, by which time Varus has pirouetted like a fucking ballerina and another blade is lancing his way.

It hits precisely where he'd just removed the last one, causing the Ascended to look up with clear outrage on his face. "Do you fucking mind," he inquires through a laugh, though his sensors are absolutely making a bigger deal about it than he is.

Instead of ice, he chooses to launch the knives back at the other man - both of them - to see if he does a better job of dodging them than Neron has. "This isn't your first time training, is it?" he says jokingly, a fange dsmile creeping across his face. "Are you a soldier?"
i am mine
Varus Callahan

Change author:
He avoids the ice initially, throwing another knife Neron’s way that sinks right into the space Neron had just freed from a blade – and it’s with a bit of surprise he’d had such good aim that second time that Varus huffs a bright laugh, a big grin shot the hybrid’s way. “I don’t mind at all, thank you!” He teases, flashing a wink the other man’s way before the knives are suddenly launching back at him.

Truthfully, he’s expecting more ice, but it’s a knife that comes careening toward him and despite his attempt to dodge – there’s two of them aimed his way, one misses and the other pierces his arm just above the elbow, a slight bubbling of fluid that darkens the cloth around his good arm. “Definitely a soldier.” He teases, flashing a wink, grabbing the knife from his arm and immediately using it to throw it back at the hybrid – moving quickly in a half circle around the other man before he does.

"And you?" What were Neron's perks, if say, war were coming?
VARUS
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
Neron

Neron does not think he has ever fought with a soldier quite this cheerful, and whilst the smile that Varus's antics draw out of him is more sardonic than humorous, there's no doubt that he's starting to enjoy himself. And it seems as though his body is finally on board with him, because as the knife is pulled out of his opponent and launched back at him, he manages to dodge this time, and quite elegantly as well. That's more like it.

"A soldier as well, of sorts. Back where I came from, they called us battle mages," he says. "Now, though? I am very good at staying hidden. And I'm very good at killing things, when I can get out of the way of flying knives." As if to demonstrate, another spray of icy shards lance out towards his opponent. "Oh - and I run one helluva bar."
i am mine