passing afternoon
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
The higher I climb the farther I fall when I do
Remi's shrine visits had gone from careless to...careless but appropriate, now to intentionally carefull. Remi knew how much Ludo liked nicknacks (where the herald kept them, he'd never know), so he'd fashioned little lanterns that hung from the tree boughs. Comprised mostly of peppermint bark and snow-moss, Remi had incorporated doll-like figurines who held the lanterns, made out of nuts and the like that the woodland creatures might have something to munch on.

"We can play...backgammon? twister? hangman? checkers? chess? This one.." Frowning, Remi holds up a box given to him by Tobi. "You..answer questions and get to move forward based on whether or not you get them correct." It was an Outlander game, and though it hadn't occurred to him at the time, there was no chance in hell that either man would know a single answer.

Laying a wool blanket on the ground (the hem of which had been picked and picked at yet again by Sugar's claws over the years), Remi sets down the picnic basket full of wine and snacks he'd brought, as well as the various games.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
Ronin Taliesin
they say it's all been done
but they haven't seen the best of me
"We can play blackjack," Ronin decides airily, his fingers linked with Remi's as they stroll through the woods and to the shrine that his husband has so carefully prepared. "Or noughts and crosses. Honestly, as long as I'm with you, it really doesn't matter to me." Releasing the alchemist that he might be able to prepare the blanket and their picnic, he can't help but smile as he watches him, though he does seem puzzled at the game with the questions.

"What... kind of questions?" he inquires, before shifting to sit down on the blanket and pop open the wine. This way they can drink while they play, at least. Not that he's certain he wants to play the game Remi has suggested. He did bring his deck of cards, though, so at least there's that as a backup. Pouring them both a glass of wine, he offers Remi's out with a crooked grin.

"Strip poker?"

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"You always pick cards." Remi protests, knowing full well the reason: Remi was terrible at cards, while Ronin won almost any game played with them. "We always called them x's and o's growing up." He says with a slight shrug and crooked smile. "Of course a baron would have a pretentious name for them." Remi adds, nudging Ronin's hip with his.

Furrowing his brow, Remi reaches for the box and pulls out a small card with questions and answers written on it. "Uhm.. what is the longest river on Earth" He reads, frowning down at the word.

Rolling his eyes at the suggestion but eagerly accepting the wine, Remi shakes his head. "I am not sure Ludo would appreciate strip poker being played at its shrine quite the way Safrin would at hers, or Frey at theirs." He counters, sampling the wine as he lays down on his belly. "Oooh, how about this?" Waggling a small book, Remi bounces his eyebrows. "They are murder mystery puzzles. I read you something, and you have to figure out whodunnit." It was all Outlander nonsense, so whether or not the pair would understand enough to be successful, he had no idea. But it sounded like the sort of thing Ludo might like.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Ronin Taliesin
"And you always say no," Ronin points out about the cards with an airy shrug, taking a small sip of his wine and getting comfortable as well, propping himself up on his elbows. "Is it pretentious if it's correct?" he wonders, rolling his eyes in a picture perfect impression of a baron and taking another drink while he waits for Remi to decide on any kind of game that doesn't involve getting naked or gambling. (Fine).

The longest river on Earth, though, has him flashing the other man a skeptical look. "Earth is an element," he says slowly. "And all rivers join one another eventually, so... what kind of question is that?" A stupid one, and that's saying something coming from Ronin Taliesin.

But then there are murder mystery puzzles and Ronin gets the impression that Remi will enjoy them just as much as Ludo might. "Alright, alright. Fire one at me."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"It just seems like an awfully long way of getting me naked. You need only ask, you know." Remi overthought cards far too much, while having absolutely no idea of what he was meant to be thinking about. He'd count cards in blackjack, but not in a way that was ever helpful. So he ended up losing, giving himself a headache, only to be naked and too tired for sex. (Well, never actually too tired).

Shooting the Star a flat look, Remi blinks slowly that Ronin might realize how even more pretentious his answer was.  "Mmmm..." Turning over the card, Remi narrows his eyes as he scans the answer. "Actually...'no answer' might be the right one. Here," Clearing his throat, Remi reads on. "The Nile has traditionally been considered longer, but in 2007 and 2008 some scientists claimed that the Amazon is longer. There are many factors, such as the identification of the source, the identification or the definition of the mouth, and the scale of measurement of the river length between source and mouth, that determine the precise meaning of "river length". As a result, the length measurements of many rivers are only approximations." Frowning deeply, Remi stands and tucks the card alongside one of the small lanterns he'd adorned the tree they're seated beneath. "What a stupid game." He mutters, laying back down.

That Ronin wants to try and solve a mystery though, has Remi grinning widely as he too rests on his elbows. 'Ahem.' And so he reads using his most melodic and knowledgable tone of voice.

It was a long and almost unbearable drive out into the desert as the hot sun beat down on Detective Nose’s face. As luck would have it, his air conditioning had broken down only two days earlier and despite having all the windows open, the heat was simply excruciating. As the inspector sipped on some of the water that he brought for the trip, the thought that he may have somehow missed his destination was beginning to penetrate his mind. Just as he was about to turn around and head back, a small sign appeared that read “Ross Expeditions Here”. With a silent sigh of relief, he turned his car towards the small cabin that could be seen in the distance.

As Nose reached the front door, Jason Ross introduced himself and motioned for the detective to come inside. The interior of the cabin consisted of one very large, but cozy room. In the right-hand corner, all the camping supplies were piled including an axe, one five-liter jug of water, some canned food, a lantern and other various pieces of camping equipment. To the back of the room was a small fireplace, and a wooden table with a couple mismatched chairs.

The most notable item in the cabin could be seen in the middle of the floor; a body, evidently lifeless, sprawled on top of two sleeping bags that were casually laid there. The cause of death was not obvious.

“Can you tell me what happened?” said Detective Nose.

“I wish I knew,” Jason said quietly. “I run a desert camping expedition business, providing tours to a variety of people. I have been trying for years to get my brother to come and join me, but being the city person that he was, he would always scoff at the idea. He used to joke that if he wanted to be without the convenience of phones, running water, or electricity, he’d simply skip paying his bills. Anyways, last week we were having a few drinks together, and we made a silly bet in which if he lost, he would have to spend a week out here with me. As you can see, he lost.”

Jason then paused for moment and took a long deep breath before continuing.

“I woke up early this morning and since my brother was still sleeping, I decided to do a little dirt biking. I was gone for about two hours. When I returned, I found my brother dead in the middle of the floor. I really do not know what happened. Other than his wallet that was on the table, nothing seems to be missing.”

“I think you may know more than you’re telling me!”

Why did Detective Nose suspect that Jason was not being completely honest?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Ronin Taliesin
It absolutely is a stupid game - they can agree on that, if the look of blank confusion on Ronin's face doesn't hint at the fact. "Never read that to me again," he tells his husband and takes a particularly long drink of wine as if that will help to drown out things like the Nile and the Amazon and river mouths. Instead, as Remi gears up for his murder mystery tale, Ronin sits up properly so he can enjoy the melody of the alchemist's voice.

Still, as the tale goes on there's a couple of things that instantly stand out for Ronin. "What was he driving? Cattle?" he asks. "What is air conditioning? Is the condition of the air on Earth not good?" Furrowing his brow in concern, finally the Star decides to pay attention to the actual riddle. "I don't know," he says slowly, "because he's a detective and that's his job? Maybe Jason Ross has blood all over his face."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
The alchemist nods solemnly, but already he's tucking away the words he said into his memory that he might pull them out during their next anniversary. Or big fight, whichever came next. SaVouRinG his wine (who is the uncultured one now, Ronin), Remi's eyebrows rise and fall dramatically with the tale that he reads. By the end though, he's left looking softly frustrated and disappointed. "Maybe the house did not have proper air, either. There's no mention of air conditioning inside. Perhaps one of the brothers had magic or a shift to allow him to live in such an environment, and the other did not?" It made little to no sense. "How do you think the detective even found out? If the one brother died that day, how could they have sent a letter so fast, and had the detective come so quickly, if they were all the way in the middle of the desert?"

Sighing, Remi tosses the book aside. Perhaps a bird could use the pages for a nest. That was all it was good for, it would seem. "No wonder Mateo likes staying with the florist rather than Tobi, if this is the sort of thing she gives him to pass the time." There's no criticism in Remi's voice of course, especially taking into account how hypocritical it would be of Remi; Mateo had access to any number of sharp tools, weapons, and substances that could be incredibly harmful to him, while in his father's care.

"Right then. NoUgHtS AnD CroSsEs then?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Ronin Taliesin
Remi can savour his wine all he likes - Ronin is thoroughly enjoying drinking away the memory of rivers and desert murders (apparently), and he can only offer his husband an equally as frustrated shrug. It doesn't make any sense," he agrees wholeheartedly. "Also, what a silly name. Detective Nose. Oh - unless perhaps he had a canine shift, and that's how he knew where to go?" Still doesn't make sense as to how he knew about the murder in the first place.

Quietly pleased when the book is tossed aside, Ronin glares at it for good measure and then tops up his wine - and Remi's if it's needed. "I'd love to play X's and O's with you," he says sweetly, grabbing a scrap of paper and a pencil to sketch out the grid for them to play. "You want to be X or O?"

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Could be? Maybe that is the clue." Yawning, Remi mentally crosses off detective from his list of things he might do with his time if the war ever went away. Glancing casually at the book, he wonders if he shouldn't grab it for Finn. Perhaps that's why October had it in the first place. Maybe he wouldn't let the birds nest with it after all.

Smiling warmly at Ronin, Remi takes a healthy sip of his wine so that Ronin's pouring won't be in vain. "An xxxx, I think." He replies, elongating the word as if that would make it sound scandalous. 'So..I could not help but notice a certain posting on the Notice Board the other day...' Casually said, Remi steals the pencil from his husband's fingers to draw an x in the center square. "You...would not happen to have read the same one, would you?" The question is leading as is the obviousness of Remi's grin.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Ronin Taliesin
Lifting a glass in a cheers for his husband, Ronin takes another sip of wine and settles down to be the oooo to Remi's xxxx. Stealing the pencil back, he adds an O above Remi's centre square, before offering it out to the other man once more. Which is the perfect time to speak about this mysterious notice that has appeared on the board in Stormbreak. Ronin's eyes light up, which is an obvious affirmative, and he can't help but chuckle to himself.

"The one about the big skeletal cunt that won't let the wagon do its thing?" he asks. "Why yes, I did happen to see it. I was going to suggest that we went and took a look at it together, before I remembered that we have Mateo now, and we ought to be responsible." There is a small hint of sadness in his eyes at that admission, though; not for Mateo, just for the missed opportunity. "Seeing it reminded me of my old monster hunting days."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Pouring over the grid as if trying to debate where to go from an endless number of choices, with a frazzled sigh he opts for the bottom left. "That is precisely the one." Remi agrees, handing over the pencil. Well. He acts as if he's going to let Ronin have it, before annoyingly moving his hand out of the way. Only then does he offer it in earnest.

'Just like old time—oh. No, you are right.' Funny how easy it was to forget about their son when there were adventures to be had. "We are both immortal now. What are the chances of there being falling stars and that you would try and kill me, all in the same afternoon?" Mateo would be at home, Isla wouldn't be out in the sun, Ianto wasn't the sort for heroics, and...well, that was the list of those he loved. It seemed safe enough.

But Ronin was right. They could be gone for a long time, and that wouldn't be fair to the florist next door. "Mmmm. Gods but you were wildly handsome then. Fresh from a week out of hunting, returning caked in gods knew what and looking all the more dashing for it."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Ronin Taliesin
Reaching for the pencil only to have it moved out of his way, Ronin narrows his eyes and takes it indignantly from his husband once he has it in earnest, promptly drawing an O in the top right corner of the grid and tossing the pencil into the trees for good measure. Does that mean he didn't plan to finish the game? Or does it merely mean that he expects Remi to go ahead and find the pencil so they might continue?

"Well, in the days before gods and monsters and impending war, I would say absolutely not likely at all. However, I'm not so sure I feel the same now. It would be just our luck that all of this would happen precisely as we are going to kill some big skeletal cunt." He shrugs his shoulders, as if to tell Remi it's a crying shame, really. (Because it fucking is).

Only then his husband continues to twist the knife, and Ronin snorts out a laugh. "What are you trying to say?" he inquires. "Am I not handsome now?" He rolls his eyes. "I wonder, though, what that thing out there could be."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Casually, Remi watches the pencil as it's tossed into the bushes. Tsking under his breath, he wiggles his fingers as another one appears. There are lots of writing implements in Remi's memory, and this particular one is heavily chewed on from Remi's time as a raccoon. "Littering is such an unbecoming trait for a baron." He mumbles under his breath before capturing the top left square. "Oh, did you..need a pencil, Ronin?" Remi wonders thoughtfully, before graciously offering his out to the Star.

Grumbling under his breath, Remi opts to take his frustration out on his wine; downing it entirely, he tops them both of. "Do you think there will be days after all of this? Or...will it just go from this, to something else that is just as all-encompassing as this?"

Raising his eyebrows, Remi flashes his husband a shy smile as his eyes drip over the Star's body. Wincing a bit, he draws in a sharp breath. "Well..You know what with the Dragoons it has been a long while since I have seen you come home bloody and exhausted." He points out. 'You are handsome still, just...not like that, anymore.' It was a bit of a sad truth really, but it held for both of them. However attractive Remi might be still in Ronin's eyes, he wasn't the bumbling and soft-eyed alchemist from years ago either.

"I am not sure. I was only there once, and that was just briefly. I saw a Qilin, but the notice board did not make it sound at all like Amalia's shift."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Ronin Taliesin
"Luckily for the both of us, I am not actually a baron any longer," Ronin points out with a grin, watching as Remi so easily produces another pencil and resisting the urge to roll his eyes at how simple he makes it. And does he very graciously accept the offered writing implement? You know he does, the Star capturing the middle left square. He already knows how this is going to go - once the basics of X's and O's have been mastered, it's always a draw. Ronin kind of enjoys it, honestly.

His amusement dies, however, at the sadness in his husband's smile, and he can't help but agree - Remi is not the humble, misty eyed alchemist any longer, and Ronin is not the scrappy monster hunter. But they could always pretend, and the Star leans in to press a wine soaked kiss to his husband's cheek. "I think there will be days after this," he says softly. "And I think there can be days during this. We just have to find them - like today." Drawing back and taking a drink from his glass, he offers his husband a fiendish smile.

"I could always go, kill it, and come back to you bloodied and exhausted, for old times' sake," he suggests. "I can even sketch it for you afterwards, so you know what it looked like."