what you entrust to me
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
If you're caught in the shadow then turn around
If you hear my voice, follow the sound
'Cause I'm here to guide you home
The biting cold was something she might never quite get used to. To this summer child of Torchline and Stormbreak, the bitter winds of the vast tundra and the crunch of snow beneath boots were novelties and a fresh reminder of all the things she didn't know. Yet Seren's cheeks were flushed with more than cold, and the look she gave her father was wide and wild with the thrill of the unknown.

"Where do you reckon we should start?" she asked, and kicked at the ground. There was snow on the ice, and ice covering the water, and whatever treasures Safrin had sent them to find would not be lying about on the surface. Gloved fingers kept worrying at the dagger hilts that poked out through her sleeves, just to make sure they were still there, and the slightest movement in the distance made her head jerk up nervously. It was never more than drifting snow or the shadow of their dragons flying overhead; not the cannibals or cultists of her imagination.

"Maybe we should have asked a local to come along after all." Noah's cautioning of the dangers lurking out here kept popping back up into her thoughts; which was quite annoying. With Ronin along, was there even a need to worry?
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
even my darkness shines for you
Ronin is the stillness to Seren's fidgeting - he walks through the snow towards the Sea of Glass with decisive footsteps, each one measured and slow, and his hands are buried in the thick coat he's adorned for the occasion. A chill wind ruffles through his dark hair, but with a thick ruff of luxere fur partially shifted about his neck and shoulders, the cold is little more than a nuisance. And though he hears and notices all that his daughter does, Ronin barely turns to look at it. Either he hasn't heard the same tales Seren has, or he doesn't much care about them.

"Hm... well, did Safrin mention how far out we ought to be to start looking?" he asks, joining her in scuffing a boot against the ground - he reveals the sheet of solid ice beneath the snow with a swipe of his foot, but no treasures to be found. "I could begin to melt the ice, but the Sea of Glass is enormous. It might take a while." Flashing his daughter a smile, he gives her a gentle nudge with his elbow.

"A local? What, don't you trust me?" he teases.
the
DARKSTAR

Table coding by Sky
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Tucking a stray lock of hair behind an ear, she poked her tongue at her father and stepped out of nudging range. She was too tightly wound to enjoy shoving games at the moment, and too determined to do this right to admit that she was nervous.
"No, she didn't say. I think we're supposed to look for ourselves. And of course I trust you. But the locals might know something we don't, you know? They've been here longer."

Then again, if none of them had found anything after all this time, it might take outside eyes to find a clue. Ronin's suggestion was met with thoughtful silence, and then a nod.

"We can try, it probably won't hurt." Looking up at the dragons that frolicked in the high arcing sky, Seren waved for Umbra to come down. Shoving more snow away from the patch they had begun to clear, she pointed at it.
"Try melting it, you too" she told the dragon in encouraging tones; it was as good a start as any.

The Blue gave her a steady look that held many unvoiced opinions on delegating workloads; but after a single snort to mark his displeasure, he complied. Circling the spot on steady wings, the young dragon breathed in and breathed out a long, blue-white jet of fire, directed at the sea-ice.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"They might have been here longer, but what if they didn't know about it, hm?" Ronin bounces his eyebrows at her, but drops some of his playfulness when it isn't returned - he might not have realised that Seren was tightly wound at first, but he's a quick learner at least.

Smiling as Umbra parts from the clouds and his frolicking with Sugar (the pale dragon stays where she is, knowing that her skills aren't required here - and perhaps feeling rather smug about it), Ronin steps out onto the ice to join him. "Neat trick," he remarks of the powerful jet of fire, flashing a grin to Seren. "He learns quick, huh?"

Starbolts would blow chunks out of the ice rather than melt it, so the Star resorts on a partial phoenix shift to do the job. One arm becomes a large swathe of fiery feathers, and golden pinions curl out beneath his coat as well to leave melting snow in their wake. "Do you think we'll be able to see through it, once it starts to heat up?" he wonders.
the
DARKSTAR

Table coding by Sky
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
She did flash a quick smile back at his antics; it was reassuring to see how relaxed her father was. If he had the leisure to joke around, then maybe she was being tense for no reason. "Not everyone has such a splendid quest giver as we," she conceded. "I do wonder what this treasure really is... she was talking about hidden knowledge and things that have been forgotten. Does that say anything to you?"

"He does indeed. When he stops acting like a savage," she smiled. The heat from Umbra's fire combined with Ronin's burning feathers was intense enough to make Seren sweat. Backing off a few steps, she watched as ice and snow melted and bubbled under the intense temperature. "I should think so. Hope there are no sea monsters down there... it would be unfortunate if we gave them a rude awakening."

A fluttering in her stomach both hoped and feared such an encounter. The pillar of steam rising from the thawing efforts was given a nervous glance; it felt too optimistic to hope no one was around to see it.
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Ronin can't help but grin at his daughter at that, the boyish and blank expression on his face telling that it absolutely did not mean anything to him. "It could be something physical, or it might just be something we learn together," he admits. "Your mother is never predictable, I'll give her that much." It could be taken as a good or a bad thing, but in this aspect, Seren ought to know he means it lightheartedly.

"That would be an adventure though wouldn't it?" He chuckles as he skates around the ice, gazing down as if expecting to see the silhouette of some massive beast swimming below. Of course, that doesn't happen, and as Ronin falls silent to concentrate and as the minutes pass and heat and steam fills the air, it becomes apparent that the ice is much thicker than anticipated.

Like... much thicker.

"You sure Safrin didn't say how far down it was...?" Ronin asks, wiping at his brow.
the
DARKSTAR

Table coding by Sky
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"That's what makes her interesting, don't you think?" Seren threw her father a wink. The lack of any immediate action on the horizon was slowly settling her nerves, and so did his gentle banter. When Ronin got serious and worried it might be time for her to fret... it felt like a good guideline.

As she waited like a spoiled princess and her father and dragon worked, Seren kept imagining what kind of creatures might lurk beneath the ice. Would there be sea-drakes, or krakens, or some gargantual leviathan to emerge from the dark depths? Whatever there might be, it seemed in no mood to awaken today. As Umbra paused to breathe, Seren carefully skidded forward through billowing mist and over the slick ice to peer down into the hole they had made. It was full of water and slushed ice, shimmering of pale blues and whites... and nowhere near close to breaking through.

"No, she did not. I fear she expects us to 'figure it out'. Hm..." Peeling off a glove and hauling up a sleeve as far as it would go, Seren got down on her stomach and inched her hand down into the hole. It was a curious blend of hot and icy and it bit her skin, soaking the sleeve of both shirt and coat; she grunted in discomfort and quickly hauled herself up again. "All that effort, and it's not even thirty inches. Between you and Umbra, this is going to take ages."

Squeezing water from her clothes, the girl made a glum face. They would definitely need help with this.
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Interesting is one word for it. Ronin has a bunch of others as well to describe Safrin, but it is not polite to say them in her daughter's company. And so instead he merely grins his agreement and continues working, until it becomes apparent that their efforts are in vain. "Hey, be careful," he begins as Seren shuffles on her belly to reach into the ice-hot hole they've made, to confirm with their fingers what he can see very clearly.

"Mm, it's a bit of a mission, this," he agrees, raking his hair back out of his face and shivering away his partial shift lest it cause any further melting that they really don't need. At Seren's glum look, though, he steps across the slush and crouches beside her, reaching out to pat the crown of her head. "Hey, it's not so bad. Think about it. You and I could hand pick some people to come along and help us out - like a band of adventurers, not just the two of us."
the
DARKSTAR

Table coding by Sky
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seeing is not always believing, and who didn't want to reach into ice pits at least once in their lives? Now that the girl could scratch that off her bucket list, she retreated into sullen contemplation, until a hand on her head brought her back to the moment.

Turning her head lightly to look at her father, she couldn't help the slow smile from dimpling her cheek.
"Like your monster hunters guild?" she asked, nudging a knee against his. "I hear they're starting up a new one... I met the leader last time I was here, and she really wanted to meet you." There was a slight tone of accusation; how come she had never heard of this from him? Ronin was a veritable treasure trove of secrets, and it was jarring every time she heard about his exploits from other people.

That aside... it was not a bad idea. Seren chewed her lip in thought, and stared at the ice-wake.
"We would need to find people with magic," she offered, half question and half conclusion; his input was more than welcome. "Ice, or fire... something to get through the ice. And..." she grimaced, a little reluctant. "Should we tell the Warden what we are doing here? I don't know if this is the kind of thing one normally would ask permission for."

Since it was their land. But maybe she was just being overly conscientious.
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Mm, just like my monster hunter's guild." Ronin nods, flashing her a smile and knocking his knee back against Seren's. His eyebrows raise to hear that there's another one being set up in Halo, his smile turning a little nostalgic. "I'd quite like to meet her too," he decides; at her tone, though, Ronin lets out a soft laugh. "It was a very long time ago, Seren. Back behind the barrier in the Hollowed Grounds. You'd probably be good at it, if you're anything like me." He winks.

Shifting a bit to peer into the ice hole again before straightening up, he hums his agreement at his daughter's observations. "I know someone with fire magic, and I think Halo's Warden possesses ice magic too, if you wanted to give her a heads up," he remarks. "And if you want raw strength, I'm happy to provide it." He sends another, more obnoxious wink her way. "The Sea of Glass isn't as centralised as the Citadel, but I do think it would be polite to let her know we're out here. Just in case people mistake us for scoundrels."
the
DARKSTAR

Table coding by Sky
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"You've been so many places, and done so much... sometimes it feels as though I don't really know anything about you," she sighed. But what parent ever told all about themselves to their kids? It would have been fine not to know, if she just didn't feel so alone at times. Left out, ignorant of things she ought to be aware of. Still... "You really think I'd be good at it?" Pushing herself to her feet after him, Seren smiled tentatively at her father. "Maybe I should talk to Aisha, then. Once I'm done with Dragoon training."

As for speaking to the Warden, Seren was only slightly less disinclined upon hearing that the person had suitable magic. "Do you think she would invite Ascended along?" she asked, thinking of the neutrality so many had told her of. "I wouldn't want someone else to take over... this is our mission." There was the matter of Safrin, too. Since the quest was from her mother... was it somehow important? Something the Voice shouldn't know about?
"Who is the other person you were thinking about?" If there were other options, Seren was keen to hear them.

Stepping away to a safer distance from the hole in the ice, she tucked her hands into deep pockets, not quite ready to return to the city yet. They were already out here; might as well savor the moment alone with her dad, right?
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Oh? Well, I can certainly change that, if you want to know things about me." Ronin smiles gently. "I can't promise to tell you it all, of course - some parts are darker than others, and they aren't things I enjoy remembering, let alone telling people about. But where do you want to start?" Shrugging his shoulders, Ronin buries his hands in his pockets as well and steps away from the hole. "You should - maybe I can drop by with you one day, and we can all go out and hunt something." He grins.

The idea of Morgan inviting Ascended along doesn't sit well with him either, and he wrinkles his nose a bit to hear it. "Well, we can just make it clear in our letter than our invitation only extends to her," he suggests. As for the other person? "Ah, her name is Aurelia. She's a friend of mine from Torchline. I'd have to ask to see if she wanted to come along, of course. If not, we would need to look for someone else."
the
DARKSTAR

Table coding by Sky
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren had no wish to pry. Nor did she feel like she had to know each and every last thing about her father. But there were so many blanks, or half-told stories that she was grateful for the opening to ask questions. One he'd offered before, but she was less good at listening then.
"Well... Do we have any other family?" she began, reaching for the things that cemented foundations. Blood ties, family bonds, extended friendships. "Where you came from before, and here... You and Vai seemed close - are we family?" She remembered the woman and her son who had come to live with them for a time, but had never quite grasped the source of the kinship between them.

Speaking of the Warden - Morgan, was it? - made Seren nod, acknowledging the woman as a candidate at least. She could think of more interesting companions, but in a pinch she supposed the ruler of the region might be a decent choice. Annoying, though, if she tried to take charge and give orders. As for Aurelia... it was her turn to wrinkle her nose.
"I met her," she said. "She's the one who killed the unicorn in Torchline... You two are friends? She seemed so... bitter, somehow." It was unusual for the girl to not immediately take to someone she'd spoken to, but their first encounter had been rather tense. Dead companions, Seren's hands burned to blisters... While they had spoken after the fact, they weren't exactly friends.

"What about... Deimos?" she suggested, reaching for a name of her own. The General had been nice and fun to talk to, and he had magic to shape ice.
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Ronin smiles at her question, finding it a fairly easy place to begin. "Well, to start from the beginning? I was born in a place called Northwind, and I had an older brother - your uncle. Bastion, was his name. He was drafted into the Storm Army first, and then I was shortly afterwards. But he went missing - I looked for him in Northaven, when I got the chance to go there, but I never found him..." He shrugs his shoulders.

Here is much easier than there, and the Star smiles to his daughter. "Vai is like family," he confirms. "Not a blood relation, but she's like a surrogate mother to Remi and I. Other than that, well... you know about Aoife, your little sister. We lost her when she was very young. And Mateo, too, he lives in Stormbreak with us. Other than that, you have a lot of people who are close friends, but no blood relatives."

He tilts his head in surprise to hear about Aurelia and what had happened - Ronin, of course, is absolutely none the wiser. "She killed a unicorn? Oh, well... perhaps not her, then." He winces. He's sure Aurelia would have had her reasons (wouldn't she?) but he doesn't want to cause issues for Seren. As for Deimos?

"It's been a very long time since I spoke to Deimos," he says with a smile. "But if you'd like to ask him, I don't see why not."
the
DARKSTAR

Table coding by Sky