on the borders of safety
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1917
If you're caught in the shadow then turn around
If you hear my voice, follow the sound
'Cause I'm here to guide you home
Adventures and treasures aside, the starchild had more than one reason to visit Halo. Beyond the breathtaking vistas, despite biting cold and winds strong enough to whip her cheeks raw, this vast landscape was known for its ice. Clear and pristine, of interesting qualities, it was a required ingredient that fortunately did not take much effort to find.

While her father lingered in the Citadel, Seren made use of some contacts she had made during her past stay to borrow tools. With a pickaxe slung boldly over a shoulder and the cautions of a guard by the gate not to wander too far, she set out onto the tundra to look for a suitably frozen snow-drift to mine.

A blue shadow followed in her wake. Umbra took his mission from Safrin very seriously, and from his vantage point high up in the sky any hint of movement was reported back in a quick glimpse, to tease and taunt Seren with. It was quite annoying, as the constant interruption kept her from focusing on the task at hand.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
DEIMOS
the ocean does not apologize for its depth
and the mountains do not seek forgiveness
With less duties and responsibilities, the monolith still applied himself. The rituals and routines were nearly the same; save for bowing his head near those he’d once commanded and taught, extending nods of prowess before turning to his own corner. Or that he followed the guards along routine watches, instead of leading them. Or that he spent hours organizing the shields, the metal, the armaments, within the armory until something within wanted to break. Foolishness and selfishness had bled into his veins and he’d paid the price for vengeance.

So sometimes he slid out and away from the Citadel; where his cranium didn’t waver so low, where his shoulders didn’t hunch, where there was still some air of strength beyond stoicism. Where he could stand tall and strong. Where he could unfurl the weight of his frustrations, where he could hunt with relative ease, where there were mere moments and instances of nothing but the endless damned snow, and he could pretend, could imagine, a time where he hadn’t been so naïve.

With a pair of rabbits dangling in his palm, Zuriel presiding behind him in her haughty wake, and Belial up ahead, it didn’t take long for any of them to notice a familiar outline (though the second wasn’t – the peryton immediately called to it in either a threat or trill of surprise). The Sword sighed, but proceeded, persisted, tilting his head as he neared the daughter of Safrin. “Seren,” a deep rumble, with the semblances of curiosity interwoven. “Back so soon?”
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The dragon spotted the approaching party well before it was possible to see who exactly it was. Three dark specks against the snow meant very little; it could be anything. But the call, now that was a new turn. Vast wings angled and brought the young hatchling circling downwards as he let out a warbling call of his own, halfway between trill and roar.

Seren looked up from where she had been hacking away at a wind-carved ice scultpure, and was delighted to discover that she knew the person who had approached.
"Deimos!" she replied with a bright smile, her voice a lilting and light contrast to his sonorous greeting. "It does seem like it, right? I'm surprised too. How are you?"

Glancing quickly between the companions - a growing menagerie in its own right - the girl waved greetings to Zuriel and watched with some trepidation as Umbra came swooping down, big and blue and torn between the duty of protecting her and a strong need to bop the cocky peryton who had the audacity to challenge.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
DEIMOS
The dragon’s response was enough for Deimos to quell the entire charade before it went too far. “Not today, Belial,” mustered on a sigh – and when the peryton had a sudden shift in audacity, the monolith’s glare was enough to dissuade anything forthcoming. Instead, the little deer sneered and snarled, revealing its fangs in some other haughty dominion, leaving the Sword to wonder how he’d acquired two arrogant companions. But in the same breadth, the beast mustered a low growl, and paraded next to Zuriel, as if she might safeguard him from his own antics.

Before he could muster any further conversation with Seren, he directed his attention to the fledgling. Hello brandished through Attuned filaments, capable of communicating with those bonded, if they yearned to do the same.

Then he could ponder what on earth the demigod was conducting. Arching one brow, he followed her movements, hacking along portions of ice, with the same raptorial manner as a feline might encompass. “I am fine,” prospered from his mouth without further thought, which might’ve been one of the grandest lies he’d ever told (for he certainly wasn’t anywhere close to that announcement). “You? And how did you get here this time?” If she wasn’t using the portals? A brief snort flickered, before rallying back to the ministrations. “What are you doing?” A series of inquiries, apparently.
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Umbra landed in a flurry of snow between Seren and the newcomers, wings spread wide in a defensive gesture that was more bluster than anything else. It struck the girl how quickly he really was growing. Already there was nothing of cat about him, but rather a young dog; big feet and even bigger wings drew attention away from the lacking bulk, but from nose to tail Umbra was almost as long as she was tall. When had that happened? How much further would he grow?

"Easy, tiny. These are friends," she reassured him, and was granted a dubious glance from mercury eyes for her trouble. Dark navy scales shimmered a myriad hues of blue under the light as the dragon focused its gaze on Deimos; slitted pupils widened in surprise at the greeting - one he could understand - and a cautious jumble of sounds trilled from his throat.

'Who are you?' Belial was forgotten; this was way weirder.

Fascinated by the exchanges between the animal, it took a moment before Seren registered that a question had been returned. Actually several; enough of a rairy that the girl narrowed her eyes at the man, surprise and suspicion warring for dominance.

"I am doing alright. My dad is here too, he gave me a ride. He has a cloud," she added, like it explained everything. "Mother sent me here on a quest; I need to collect some ice from Halo. So that's what I'm doing." It was completely true, as her gesture to pickaxe and target implied. But she conveniently left out that there was more than one mission to complete; the treasure hunt was for her and her father alone, for now.

"Are you sure that everything is alright?" she asked again, with a slight tilt of the head. Maybe it was just imagination, but she thought Deimos looked tired.
Seren
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Belial took the grandiose gestures of wings spread as something incendiary, and sneered from beneath Zuriel’s barrel. The unicorn, for her part, remained completely unaffected by either display, glancing towards each individual as if she was very put upon by the charade. In their silent accord, Deimos reassured her of many treaters later, when all of this was said and done.

The Sword arched a brow at the dragon’s response, inwardly bemused by its revelations and then response. Another rumble, and his own efficient grumble resounded and ricocheted, reverberating easily, as if it were merely orchestrated by breathing. Deimos. A momentary pause, instilling the polite indications his mother had taught him long, long ago through many, many lessons. Who are you?

When those courtesies were complete, his eyes shifted back to Seren – tilting his head again at the suspicion seeming to be rooted and pinpointed on his person. Maybe she’d seen and heard too many deflections; knew the nuances for what they were worth (nothing; distracted filaments and means to ends). That Ronin was here was a surprise, or the fact that he just rode around on clouds. His jaw slacked for a moment, thinking to make a comment, and then not pursuing it. There’d been far stranger things seen and heard in a world full of magic.

Deimos could lean into the quest from Safrin and the necessity of ice anyway. “I see.” Which he didn’t; not really. There were far easier ways to grasp the element, but if she insisted on the pickaxe and her own muster, he wasn’t about to stop her. “What are you pursuing for your quest?” Easier inquiries perhaps, and then there was no room to reflect on any of his latest dilemmas; age-old practices.

And at her attempt to dig in further, he didn’t yield. Just a very strained smile, a nod of his head; he didn’t know her well enough to trust or confide. “Yes.”
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
A name was not everything to know about a person or creature, but it was a start. The dragon rumbled acknowledgement deep within his chest, and blinked slowly. Pupils dilated, before contracting again.

'Umbra,' came a whispered return, and a sense of depth followed with the word. Of deep oceans and high heavens, of blue hues fading gradually from blinding near-white into azure, to ultramarine, to near-black. Cold shadows and vast patience hid behind such a name, a dark midnight backdrop against which a small star might learn to shine.

Vaguely aware of the exchange, the girl chose not to interfere. It was unsettling that someone besides her or her mother - or another dragon - might be able to converse so clearly with her companion, but she would not begrudge her friend the experience. Besides, she had her own riddles to contemplate; most of them being Deimos' neutral expression, and the weary smile that belayed the answer he offered. It made her ache, that he so clearly carried something inside, yet couldn't find it in him to speak of it to her.

"I understand," she said, and the soft smile she gave him suggested that she actually did. To an extent, at least. "That's good, then. If it ever were to change and something was not alright anymore... I would be honored to listen, and help however I can." That was all she could do for now; perhaps it was all she would ever be able to do.

'You will never be able to save anyone, my sweet,' Safrin's voice seemed to whisper to her, all over again. It was no easier to hear now than it had been before, and did little to quell her desire to try.

"I have a trick I can do," she went on, saving them both with a retreat to safer topics. Divine gifts and trials felt safe and mundane compared to the treacherous paths of budding friendship. "An island elsewhere, where I can place items, and visit. Mother said there is a way to make portals open from there to wherever I wish to go... and for that she needs ice. Among other things."
Seren
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Deimos would be the first to admit he’d never held a conversation with a dragon. The only one he’d truly come face to face with for any length of time had been within the Fangs, while they were all fighting for their lives. Sunjata and his Attuned proportions didn’t count. So when he received a name, and then more, his eyes narrowed briefly, mind suddenly filled with pictures, with depths, with fathoms he didn’t recognize. Except he too had once held illustrious skies and unwinding seas, malevolent shadows pulsing with nefarious wakes; and so with an ease, he shared proportions of memories with the beast.

Tides upon tides stretched under a silver moon, a listless, serene lull before tempestuous storms. Gull cries in the distance, bare feet racing and tracing with long strides into currents and sand. The outcry of triumphant warriors in the distance, children racing to see their parents return home from a long campaign. Blood and tranquility all in one setting.

And while he could form all of this with a fledgling, he struggled to do so with fellow humans. It might’ve been laughable, if it weren’t so melancholic, and his eyes yearned to drift downward, hide under the ease of nonchalance. They didn’t, because he’d been working hard on not falling to pieces, but he didn’t conform, couldn’t, into escalating over why his mood was somber. “Thank you.” Maybe for another time, another place, or not at all.

Better still to reflect upon her abilities and parameters, than justify anything he had to offer. The semblances were intriguing: and he blinked once or twice, thoughts rambling in their air of machinations and calculations for understanding. He’d always had his elements: not something else altogether, faceted and tucked away. “Elsewhere. And you would be able to open your own portals. Very clever.” Another small smile, before his eyes flickered upward, towards mountains and peaks. “That would be something.” Considerations, for once his curiosity was stoked he became infinitely nosier, consisted and persisted. “Does it take you long to travel to this place?”
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren smiled, and Umbra lowered his head with a long exhale that sent smoke curling and twisting towards a clear sky. There was approval in silver eyes and in blue, and the dragon folded its wings to slender sides in quiet acknowledgment. Turning his attention away from the wayward soldier, his interest shifted to the companions and with a puppy-like eagerness the hatchling padded towards unicorn and peryton. To sniff and inspect, and gently tease into play.

Seren hacked away at her ice, until a sizeable chunk fell away from the monolith. It was big and heavy, and the grunted under the weight when hefting it into her arms.

"Not long at all," she said, and made an awkward wave of a hand. The air before her began to ripple like heat haze, a mirage on demand; she paused, and blinked towards Deimos. Considering, before extending a hand to him. "Would you like to see? It's only a step away."

Open, generous; eager to share all the beautiful magic with which she had been blessed. Such was Safrin's daughter. And she had a feeling that Deimos might like what he saw on the other side.
Seren
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
He waited – ever the patient stone fixture, while the dragon seemed to contemplate and weigh out the dominions. When there was naught more than approval, the monolith bowed his head once and gave a quiet grin, his attention shifting slightly as the fledgling’s seemed to – staring at his companions. Zuriel lifted her cranium in a very dignified and noble demeanor, firmly establishing her sovereignty and power; barely glancing down her nose at Umbra. Belial, however, was a different story, and managed to snarl once more from beneath the unicorn’s imposing stature. It might take far more to coax him from the protective hold, despite his earlier antics. Deimos would permit them to sort it out.

His inquiries seemed to have left their mark anyway – in a matter of seconds Seren had sorted out the ice, and then a ripple within the air. The Sword didn’t step back, never entirely afraid of incantations because of how many flared within his own soul. But this was entirely different, and nothing made of his elemental prowess. Eyes narrowed in speculation, in calculation, and then looked beyond, to the Citadel rising above, to the mountains, to worlds he’d served and protected and they’d harpooned him through still. Would this be a selfish act? To take and see, instead of funneling onwards, back towards the obsidian buildings rising through the snow?

Maybe he was done with impetuous, impulsive actions, but never curiosity. The inner debate pulsed away, and he stepped forward, his calloused hand offered in return. “Sure.”
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Umbra gazed steadily at the unicorn, unphased by her regal indifference. Boring; where was the fun in being so uptight all the time? Belial was more interesting with his cocky challenges, but the bluster was made less impressive by the hiding behind someone bigger. The young dragon began to circle Zuriel, and snapped playfully at her wafting tail; maybe he could persuade her to move, and make this a game of tag.

As for sudden travels to new dimensions... How reckless could it really be, to follow the whims of young girls and step through portals into the unknown? That depended entirely on the girl. In this case, the only risks involved getting sand between the toes and perhaps to lose track of time for a while.

Grinning, Seren clasped the general's hand and and pulled him through the rift. Bright Halo sunshine and cold winds dropped away, exchanged for a star-spangled midnight island. It could have been Torchline on a quiet eve, except for the closeness of the stars - hovering just beyond reach - and the whiteness of the sand, and the utter lack of a horizon to separate sea from sky. A peaceful hush lingered over the place, full with the murmur of waves rolling in upon pristine beaches where washed up treasure nestled, just waiting to be found.

Backing further onto the island while blue gaze watched Deimos for a reaction - this was the best part of bringing friends over for the first time - Seren let the ice drop carelessly into the sand. Surreptitiously keeping the grip on his hand for as long as he would allow, she made a gesture to the island in general; small and serene, an atoll of wonders in a sea of stars. "Interesting, isn't it?"
Seren
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Zuriel remained equally unphased; completely indifferent and above it all. Even as the young beast circled, she maintained her haughty disposition, fully intending to hit the creature in the face with her tail, if he didn’t yield. Belial, on the other hand, managed to stick his head out from between her forelegs, staring, eyes widening, at the dragon.

But with Deimos’s agreement and accord, it hardly mattered. They left the companions behind to sort out their mischief and decrees – and within the space of time and endeavors, the rime, ice, and snow gave way to similar parameters of Torchline. He was at once reminded of adventures within Safrin’s library, of being spirited away into books, into manifested portals, into peering through the vapor and vestiges for signs of mountains, rising entirely beyond reach. These seemed far more real though, and not just proportions of paper for them to glide through.

Eyes widening, the Sword took in the landscape on a held breath, waiting for clarity to sink into his mind. “Impressive,” was the first word he could surmise, and meant it, stare rising towards the stars, and then downwards, towards the sand. Tranquility in the pauses and nuances, and something in him settled, very briefly, before he broke away and sauntered, keen and observing. “Did Safrin make it for you?” Or had it been all under her own power and prowess?

Thereafter, the monolith maneuvered forward, arching a brow at the ice seemingly left for naught, towards where some treasures and trinkets seemed to linger along the dunes, curious all over again.
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Looking quite pleased with herself at the praise, Seren released the man to explore as he pleased. There was much to look at here, though not everything was a marvel. Some very mundane items like clothing, cutlery and spare boots nestled alongside curious seashells, interesting pieces of driftwood and colored rocks. A whitewashed tray inlaid with mirror mosaic had ended up next to broken off pieces of coral and what looked like an empty jar, and there was a curious amount of clay pots heaped into a pile. None of the plants within them had survived, and appeared so dried up and brittle that the slightest touch might crumble them to dust.

With a little pulse of magic Seren took to hovering a ways off the ground, merely watching Deimos. She kept her back turned deliberately away from the center of the island; a dune had piled up there, covering some large shape that she refused to acknowledge.

"Yes," the starchild nodded, a serene little smile playing on her lips. "A little piece of her stars, to bring wherever I go. It makes it easier, to endure being away from her." A gentle tap of booted toes against the ground sent her drifting, dreamlike and suspended; "Everything I am and can do is a gift from her." She said it simply, completely accepting of this; a gentle reminder of who and what she was.

"You are a mage, right? Do you know more tricks than sculpting ice?"
Seren
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
The Sword could never truly leave the unknown in such an array for long – had always been an emboldened sort when it came to inquiry, but in silent musings, rather than embarking straight into question after question. Answers hastened for himself, by himself, until he couldn’t reach further into enigmas or puzzles. This was a newfound range of power, quite unlike his own, and so he measured his strides along the ivory sands, gesturing towards the treasures nestled; some classic stowaways from ocean tides, rippling in along portions and pieces of curiosity. Eventually, after crouching and inspecting and roaming, he lifted his head, eyes on the starry skyline. “And you found all of these things?” Tucked them away, into furtive stores? What were the limitations to such a power?

What else could she stow away? What about people? What about those like Ascended? What about the ones they wanted to hide from the crushing wake of the world?

Perhaps it was too bad his calculations had already rambled and run there, distorting the tranquil atmosphere within his own mind. But that proportion of his cranium had likely forgotten what serenity felt like – and only while in the midst of his machinations did he turn along the center of the island; where a dune rose above others. The interplay of her words broke his concentration on the figments, piercing stare rambling back to the daughter of Safrin, instigating another small smile.

Pieces and portions of stars. Of gifts from gods.

But at her own measure of questions, he nodded. “Yes.” Quite a few more tricks.
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I