you bleed just to know you're alive
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Love, let's talk about love
It was growing late, and the milling press of people in the serving room had begun to thin out. Only the determined drinkers and the couples lingering over long since devoured meals remained... and then there was Seren.

Curled up in a corner of a couch all by herself, she cradled a tankard of mulled wine between her hands. It was not warm enough to steam anymore, and remained half full. By the look of her far-seeing eyes, the girl's thoughts had strayed a long way from Halo and the inn. Perhaps she would have been better off to retreat upstairs along with parents and dragons; this solitude was doing her no good. Too much time left for brooding and introspection, for scanning the faces of the crowd in hopes of seeing a familiar face.

She didn't expect to actually find one.
Is it anything and everything you hoped for?
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
my darling can you hear it? something's lurking in the leaves
I can feel its preying eyes on us from somewhere in the trees
It feels wrong to be here after what she has done, but it certainly doesn't stop her. Just as she'd helped build the Advocates, she'd built this bar with her own hands and won't be dissuaded from visiting. It doesn't mean she's having a good time however.

Some vague, desperate idea had driven her here. Thinking that perhaps it was her grief and inherent wallowing in the empty space of her spa that had put her off the food she made herself. That Atlas' ghost was what prompted her to throw back up anything that passed her lips. Clearly she was wrong, and what that means for her right now is a gravity too large for her brain to handle.

Instead she is left with her elbows on the table, hands deep in her hair as she pulls weakly at it, close to tears just from staring at her plate of food with only a few measly bites taken from its surface. Her stomach roils rebelliously, and the rest of the room falls away to leave her with a dawning realization she can't afford to have.
my dear don't let it catch you - all that's left to do is run
Hotaru
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Blue eyes came to linger on the back of a blonde head. Thoughtful, absent, while a faint familiarity kept teasing her senses. Something about the curve of that cheek was familiar, as was the slender wrist. The woman kept her head cradled in her hands; there was something so desperately lonely about her that Seren found herself moving. It was not thought through, not planned; but her feet crossed the floor all the same, and brought her to slip onto a stool next to the woman.

A small kitten made of starlight materialized in her hand, and with quiet prompting Seren had the summoned creature saunter over to the woman. A wispy tail made to curve around an arm, and the tiny mewl was meant for her alone.

"You've made a friend," Seren said softly, and leaned in slightly to see if she could spy more of the person's face. "Whatever it is that troubles you, it is going to be alright."
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
She isn’t expecting to be touched by anyone or anything, so high are her walls and so private are Halovians. As such she jumps when a light touch curls against the skin of her arm, red-rimmed mismatched eyes falling to gaze down at a small kitten composed of starlight and gleaming clouds. The soft mewl it gives pulls at her wretched heart, and she untangles her gripping fingers from her hair to offer her knuckles to it to sniff, uncertain if the kitten would have the same reactions as one made of fur and flesh.

So distracted is she - scatterbrained, her traitorous mind whispers - that her shoulders tighten anew at a young woman’s voice over her shoulder. The whites of her eyes are streaked with red, broken vessels, and dark smudges below her eyes steal attention away from her beauty in a blatant exclamation of her exhaustion and illness. Those eyes widen as they fall on Seren, surprised to see her even as she remains blissfully unaware of the girl’s involvement at the Slagveld that fateful night. Unsure what else she can possibly do, she gestures with a weak hand to the chair across the table from her own. “I’m not so sure you can promise that,” she whispers, and though her inherent grace never falters her voice is hoarse and thick with unshed tears.
Hotaru
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
All the puzzle pieces came together when the woman looked up. Recognition flared in Seren's own eyes, surprise mirroring Hotaru's own. But it did nothing to shift the expression of gentle concern, and she accepted the offered seat while reaching out across the table, to offer a hand should the other wish to take it. If not, there was a kitten right there; butting its head against proffered knuckles, and purring its tiny heart out meanwhile.

"I am sure," she replied, with a calm reassurance that was older than her years. "Because no matter what it is that has caused those tears, you are not alone. I am right here, and I know at least two other people who will be with you, too. Every step of the way, if you let us."

Kind blue eyes took in the red-rimmed lashes and the unfinished meal, along with the pale expression. Far away was the smiling vixen from the jungle; but then, Seren had begun to wonder if she ever truly existed. "Can you tell me about it?" she asked, and left it to Hotaru to decide what weighed on her. Seren thought she knew... but left it open to be confirmed or rejected. It didn't matter either way.
SEREN
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
For a moment she hesitates, reluctant to drag the young woman into her own mire of troubles, but the hand that lays across the table is taken up all the same. Hotaru’s skin is cold and slightly clammy, and she winces at the sensation. It’s an inevitable side effect though she hates it all the same. Her other hand is drawn inexorably to the kitten’s starlit fur, rubbing her fingers underneath its tiny jaw and behind pricked ears. Admittedly it goes a long way to soothing her frazzled nerves long before Seren speaks.

Words lodge in her throat, and so she squeezes Seren’s hand in silent appreciation. The din of the other patrons is mere background noise as Ru focuses on the otherworldly surety in the girl’s voice. The question isn’t unexpected - almost anyone would ask it if they were kind enough - but she’s at a loss as to what to say. How much to reveal. But the words burn in her throat, begging to be let out, to tell somebody. Even if Seren is young and should remain unburdened by such realities of life.

“I lost my companion recently. Someone murdered him. I failed to protect him when he was doing nothing wrong.” Even now she is careful with her words, but it’s true at its core, and a grief that she cannot escape. “And I...I went to Frey, with someone I scarcely knew but whose presence meant the world to me. And when Frey Attuned me, we...and I...” there’s no embarrassment regarding the actions, but she is reluctant to talk so plainly of sex to the young girl. Her eyes drop from Seren’s piercing blues to her plate. “I think I’m pregnant. I’ve lost so many of my children before, and I’m tasked by the Gods with something dangerous that I can’t avoid.” For Deimos’ sake if nothing else, and precisely why she cannot breathe a word of this to him. He would refuse to allow her at his side, and it is the only way she can fix what has been done. “I’m scared to lose them before I ever meet them. Without even considering all the other intricacies of their existence.” Such as Remi being married and gay, and someone she feels quite an intriguing platonic kinship for.
Hotaru
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Taking Hotaru's hand in both of hers, the young woman brushed her thumbs over the back of it in the hopes of rubbing some warmth back into the digits. The kitten pressed all of its young body into the touch, and a healing warmth emanated from its gleaming presence that would help to ease some of the woman's nausea.

Quite predictably the tale began with the loss of the companion, but that was also where all of Seren's expectations for this conversation ended. The meeting with Frey did have quite a predictable conclusion - she knew enough about the other Heralds to not be surprised there - but the attuning and the pregnancy? Those were new. A dangerous mission, on top of it; this really was a lot, Hotaru had been right.

Steadying herself with a deep breath, Seren remained quiet for a time, and tried to process all of this. Searching for solutions, contemplating whether they would actually be wanted; she squeezed Hotaru's hand and set her own doubts aside.

"I understand why this feels overwhelming," she admitted. "I might be able to help you with some of these things... but first there is something I need to tell you." She sought to capture her friend's gaze, looking serious and a little sad as she went on.

"When the Slagveld burned, when your companion died, I was there. In Torchline. I tried to reach him, and..." The lump in her throat returned, as always when remembering the dark events. "I did manage to spirit him away, but I was too late to save his life. I am sorry, Hotaru, for not being fast enough."

A moment of silence passed, to allow for this to sink in. Then she went on; "I still have his remains... and when you are ready, I can take you to him."

Seren uses this ~ little healing cat

Star Critters | Can conjure 2 medium or 5 small creatures composed of stars. Creatures have physical mass/presence and cast starlight in their wake. Can also heal one character at basic level. Cannot move more than 20ft from Seren.
SEREN
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Golden hair slides against her cheek as her head bows, focusing on the kitten while Seren takes in all she has said. It helps to keep her peripherals blocked, to hide away from the strangers in the bar and to conceal them from her as well. Unaware of any abilities the kitten may have as a conjured being, she instead relaxes slightly as the nausea and cramping alleviate, narrow shoulders relieved of tension and head lolling slightly forward. It isn’t the harshest pregnancy she has ever had, but the symptoms never get any easier when she is so petite.

As Seren speaks the woman lifts her head, and her heart stutters at the admission she hears. Her throat works soundlessly, trying and failing to find words, but her hand squeezes tight even as her fingers begin to shake. “Thank you,” her voice cracks around the intensity of her sincerity, and the redness of her eyes returns as tears gather but refuse to fall. “For trying. For keeping him safe after.” For not leaving him there, even if it had killed Ru in the moment to not be able to find him. She bites her lip to keep the tears from spilling over, and takes a noisy inhale. “Frey told me I could ask Ludo to bring him back somehow. I don’t know if it’s a possibility but I...I have to try. And even if I can’t, I need to say my goodbyes.” She had said them in the moment, those last few seconds as his life was extinguished - expressions of eternal love, instead of regret. She hadn’t wanted to send him off with guilt or grief as the last thing he would feel from her. But now that he is gone and Seren has his remains, she can say those words over his body if only to keep them from poisoning her insides.
Hotaru
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Without releasing Hotaru's hand, Seren got up and moved the chair around the table, so she could sling an arm around the distraught woman's shoulders. If allowed, she would pull her close; tears might not be falling from red-rimmed eyes, but the starchild didn't need those to recognize a weeping heart.  

"I have a companion, too," she confided softly. "A young dragon, named Umbra. I cannot begin to understand what losing him might be like... but I too would want to bring him back, if I could." Warm fingers reached up to touch soft golden hair and brush strands away from a temple, as gentle and soothing a touch as Seren could manage. "Just be ready for the possibility that your Atlas will not be the same, even if he can be brought back to you. All life ends; to step beyond that divine order will surely change many things. And the cost will no doubt be great. Consider carefully how far you are willing to go, and what you would risk, if you do go to Ludo."

She would not try to dissuade the woman, but Seren could not help but think of the new life that grew within her. It was already at risk, if the quest was half as dangerous as Hotaru believed.
SEREN
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
She should be ashamed, to curl into the embrace of such a young girl, to place her burden on untested shoulders. The maternal side of her cringes in self-flagellation, ashamed. It doesn’t stop her from doing so. She’s not alone, she always has Deimos, but this is something she must keep from him at all costs - and therein lies the solitude she is forced to create around the issue. Ru’s cheek finds Seren’s shoulder, turning into her even as her other hand still brushes against the kitten’s spine. In all her pregnancies she at least had the support of her kingdom, her council and few friends in those times when the father would not. Now she has nothing. Not even a companion as an extra pair of eyes or a bond to her soul to help shoulder the weight.

“I lost my Alice when I was brought here. I never wanted to feel that horrible pain again, I thought it would kill me the first time. I didn’t intend to ever bond with another, but I found him in the tundra and our fates were sealed.” Her jaw feathers with clenched teeth, eyes sliding shut in an expression of pain and self-hatred. “He didn’t deserve to be bound to someone like me.” Lifting off Seren’s shoulder, she presses the heel of her free hand into her eye, the few tears that have escaped being roughly brushed off her cheek with the solitary hand.

“I know. But I pray Ludo will tell me what can and cannot be done, if they will deign to see me at all.” Attuned she may be now, magic still stains her soul, and she has yet to meet any other deity aside from Frey. “I fear the more time slips away, the less of a chance I have. But I cannot focus on that until this mission is complete - one that puts the baby at risk. I am torn in three directions, and I don’t know what to do.” Safrin’s demands of Deimos and by extension Hotaru, needing to seek out Ludo for Atlas’ soul, and now of course her own pregnancy to consider amidst the turmoil. There would be no completion of Safrin’s quest without danger, without battle. Hotaru wasn’t sure if perhaps Frey could protect the little life inside her, was hesitant to ask for something so soon after being Attuned anyway.
Hotaru
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Safrin's daughter was indeed young, and untried in every way. The weight of burdens not her own was new and unfamiliar, much like Hotaru's head on her shoulder, but she did not flinch from it. Helping others was what she was here for, and if that meant she could at least aid this person in finding her own path to salvation, then that was what she would do.

Hotaru sat up, and the raven-haired girl hummed in thought as she weighed options in her mind.

"You child is safe as long as you are safe," she mused aloud. "Then it stands to reason that you need to find a way to solve your quest in a manner that keeps you from bodily harm.

For that, you need to think clearly; and it seems to me that you are in need of closure and answers to quiet your heart."

The kitten pawed at Hotaru's arm to be picked up, and Seren held out a hand. "Let's start with what we can do," she suggested, smiling kindly as she rose from the seat. "Your Atlas is at my island; shall I take you to him?"
SEREN
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru has sacrificed much more of her own plans and even physical safety in the past for the sake of keeping one of her children safe. This is the first time she has been forced into a position where she cannot, simply by fact of carrying that life inside her own body. Where once her body was a shield, it is now a fatal flaw.

As Seren pulls away she turns her head listlessly to watch the dark haired youth, exhaustion pulling at mind and body alike. It will do nothing to stop her. There is so little time and so much to do. It hurts all the same. But there is relief to be found in the offer she is given, and Hotaru obligingly scoops the kitten to her chest and rises immediately from her chair. Food forgotten and forsaken as she takes Seren’s hand. “Yes. Please, let me see him.” Unsure exactly where this island was or how they would get there, but willing to go through whatever trials awaited if it meant seeing and retrieving her companion’s body.
Hotaru
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
No trials were needed this evening, for Seren required nothing in return for her aid. And reaching their destination took no effort at all; it was merely a step away. The air behind the demigod began to ripple and shimmer, in heat-haze or the ripples of a liquid surface disturbed. She took a step back, and sank into nothingness while leading Hotaru along. Startled eyes from other patrons of the inn would soon find themselves staring at the empty space where the two women had disappeared...

... and none of their murmured confusion could penetrate the stillness that waited on the other side. It was midnight there, and stars hung suspended from a velvet darkness that stretched endlessly all around. Their pale light made the white sand of the small atoll gleam and glisten, velvet soft and without impurities to hurt or hinder their steps. Dark waves sighed a peaceful lullaby against the shores, and the water too - if it was water at all - reflected and contained little stars of its own.

Curious treasures lay nestled in the dunes all around the island. Blue seashells, pieces of clothing and everyday items rested side by side with a piece of coral and a hunk of ice that strangely did not melt. But what stood out the most was a large shape resting at the center of the dunes. Mostly covered, as if blanketed and sheltered by the sand, it was difficult to make out what it was... though no doubt Hotaru would recognize the spiraling horn that jutted out from the heap. It was quite unmistakeably unicorn in nature.
SEREN
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
In any other situation Hotaru would have much more appreciation for the splendor and power of this moment. Instead there is only the contrasting temperatures of their connected hands, the sudden peaceful silence that washes over her and eases her headache with the absence of cutlery and gossip. As her eyes adjust she takes in the private expanse of the magical island - shimmering sterling stars in void canvas, sand that brushes soft against her skin as she steps alongside Seren onto its shores. It is beautiful. Serene. A place she appreciates existing all the more for how it became a haven for her companion’s body.

When her eyes alight upon the long spiraled horn, her hand falls away from Seren’s. Everything else turns to vague watercolor shapes. There is only the staggering of her steps as she approaches, the journey feeling like miles. When she reaches him - or what remains of him, as she knows his soul no longer resides in the vessel of his body - her knees give out from beneath her and hit the sand hard. There is no hesitation as her hands find his burned body. There is nothing to be feared here, no aversion to the blackened, twisted flesh. There is no part of Atlas, even in his death, that could ever make her hesitate to reach for him.

She bows her forehead against the arch of his neck, and the tears finally come.

They hadn’t come in the moment of his death. Nor in the long empty days that followed. Not even when recounting his loss to Remi at Frey’s shrine. They do here - laying prone overtop his body as if to shield it belatedly from the blow which had torn his soul from hers, the tears finally escape. They come in loud gasping sobs, hands cradling her companion’s burned face with an unspeakable tenderness. “I am so sorry my love,” she cries, all the harder because even his scent is not the same. Ruined and overlaid by the magic that had killed him. “You never should have met me. I am so sorry. I couldn’t keep my promise to protect you.” A promise she’d vowed to the dying mother she’d taken him from - the ghost of herself. She hadn’t gone looking to bond after Alice had been taken, but she had thought maybe - just maybe - fate would be kind this time around.

She was a fool. Her soul was too rotten for anything so good as Atlas to have grown in the razed, scorch earth of her heart.

“I love you,” she whispers, tasting the salt of her own tears. Love, because it would never die, would never fade into past tense. The same words she’d sent him into the beyond with. They fall repeatedly from her lips, lacking anything else to say, until her lips are numb and eyes aching in their sockets. Incapable of tearing herself away. Content to lay here until she joins him, all other responsibilities be damned.
Hotaru