Training Open: Is it rude to punch a dummy?
Open training thread!!
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2935
Sah

The wind howls
I answer
Sah entered the barracks, heading straight for the training grounds. The Abandoned had spent most of his training time in the last few weeks focusing on strengthening his magic. Honing his control, expanding his power, and working on his endurance. The results had been obvious and Sah was finally beginning to feel a bit more like himself in that regard. His magic was still far weaker then it was in his original body, but at least now it wasn't incapable of usefulness.

Having said that, Sah felt that he'd neglected his physical training a bit too much in the past few weeks. And so today he'd made his way to the training grounds. Wrapping his knuckles and setting up one of the training dummies, he began to warm up with basic punches and kicks.
The storm rages
I conquer
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8 in (175cm) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 2 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
AINO

"Lookin good there, laddie," came a lilting drawl after some time had passed. An appreciative, if not a bit amused, smile rested on Aino's lips where she stood a few paces over to the side. Sweat gleamed on her own brow, plastering golden hair to the temples; a practice sword had been slung over a shoulder, much like a shovel had in the past and it was obvious she had only just paused her own training.

"Need a sparring partner? Dunno what's yer poison, but I bet I can take ye on with whatever." Grinning to take the edge off the challenge, she stood up straighter and went back to what she had been doing. Flowing between forms in a slow, precise manner, she wielded her weapon with the skill of one who had done little else for years. If she was out of practice now, it was frightful to think what she would have been like when in tip-top shape.
For the good times that we share,
and the bad times that we'll have
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah
Only in the dark
of night
Sah glanced up as he heard a familiar voice. He recognized the soldier instantly. "Hey Aino." The greeting accompanied a playful smirk. He offer was met with mild surprise but an eager grin. "I'd love that. I've been training non-stop with my sword and magic. How does some hand-to-hand sound to you? I could really use the practice."

Sah walked over to the designated spot for such training, stepping into his fighting stance. It was one of the more basic styles, but his form was solid. He put his hands up, a cheeky grin flashing. "Come on soldier. You said you could take me on, right?" He teased. Aino reminded him somewhat of some of the members of his pack. The ones that had become like older sisters to him. Perhaps that was why his playful side seemed to rear it's head. Either that, or because their last meeting had involved goofing off in the snow.
do the stars
shine bright
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8 in (175cm) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
AINO

He was granted a sidelong glance, where the smirk slowly widened into a grin. Taking her leisurely time to finish the cycle of stances, Aino straightened and cocked her head at the whelp. "Weaponless? My my, you are a bold one," she laughed. "Very well, I'll play."

Putting up her sword in a rack, the woman came back and took a stance. A quick once-over told her that they would be fairly evenly matched, at least in terms of physique. He was taller, and perhaps a bit more muscular... The real question was whether he had the technique.

Without wasting time Aino stepped in and aimed a kick of a leg towards Sah's knee. It was quickly followed by a fist flying towards his jaw, right leg and left hook respectively.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah
Only in the dark
of night
Sah gave a small chuckle in return. "So I've been told. Shall we?" He was eager to start, but he appraised the woman in front of him, just as she did him. Based on appearance alone they did seem to be an even-match. But Aino had more experience in her body, while Sah might have had more experience in memory. He wasn't sure how many wars the soldier had fought in. If any.

Regardless, the match began. The first kick missed, Sah taking a step out of range. Her hook however, moved with him, and still landed squarely on his jaw. The Outlander gave a small chuckle, a quick creak of his jaw. "Good hit." He praised, before surging forward. He made sure to keep his raised hands in proper form to guard this time as he struck. A left-handed palm strike to the woman's sternum, a right elbow to her jaw. The movements were swift, and although not fluid, still somewhat graceful. The amount of time spent training was doing wonders in getting Sah acquainted with his new body.
do the stars
shine bright
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

Her fist landed with a satisfying crunch, and the sting in her own knuckles sang of success. Aino danced back to regain her posture as Sah did, wiggling her eyebrows as if to say there was more to have if he liked it that much.

He was quick on the crack back, if nothing else. As the young man closed the distance, Aino watched his posture carefully for any cues on what was to come. As his fist searched for her stomach, she tightened up her core as much as she could and accepted the blow straight on, with a soft grunt; he had some power behind it, but not more than she could weather. The elbow though, that would hurt; straightening up in the single moment, she backed her chin away from the cutting blow and drove a knee up towards his crotch, in retaliation.

All was allowed in the Halo style of combat; it was survival of the fittest, and rules meant nothing in the wild. An ursur or cannibal would not ask permission, or play fair - thus, neither should they.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah
Only in the dark
of night
Sah flashed his own grin at Aino at her brow wiggle. He felt the palm strike land but didn't pause in his pursuit. Sah's brow raised at the low blow but he didn't comment. All was fair on the battlefield. He simply twisted out of the way.

Without hesitation, he continued the twist until he was locking his left leg around Aino's. To force her knee to either bend or break. It would hopefully knock her off balance, at least somewhat. At the same time, his left elbow came in to strike at sternum level. To both prevent retaliation and knock the wind from her. Sah made sure to keep his feet steady so as not to lose his balance if hers gave out.
do the stars
shine bright
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

He had good reflexes, Aino noticed. And was not taken by surprise, even by cheap shots; that was good. Honor on the battlefield was a concept that got you killed; it only started to apply when enemies were defeated and time came to deal with prisoners, sentences and mercy blows to those who would not survive.

Good instincts too, for what might be a weak spot. Her knee was struck with a force that saw the joint bend and buckle, but rather than try to weather the impact, Aino allowed herself to topple and fall. Sinking to the ground in an almost graceful move, she evaded the elbow aimed at her gut and rolled away across the ground, only coming to her feet when there were several paces of distance between them. Stomping the ache out of her knee, she nodded with new respect at Sah.

"Good one, there," she approved. "Winner buys drinks, just so ya know." It was not a rule, but she would absolutely make it one if she could.

Lowering her stance, the woman aimed low and suddenly came sprinting in, diving with arms outstretched to try and tackle the young boy to the ground. Hoping to knock the wind out of him, and maybe even get the high ground. But she was ready for sidestepping; if he tried, she would simply follow and turn this into a grappling contest instead.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah
Only in the dark
of night
Sah nodded appreciatively at Aino's choice. It was a smart move indeed. At the praise he gave her a playful smirk and a wink. "Why thank you. And of course. Wouldn't be Halo if there weren't drinks at the end." He teased with a small chuckle. Sah was having more fun during this spar then he had expected. It was almost back when he was rough-housing with his fellow pups.

Seeing Aino come at him once more, Sah put one foot back to brace himself. His shoulders rolled forward slightly, knees bending. To brace the impact and remain steady. And so, he let her charge into him. Prepared as he was, he only let out a small grunt instead of getting the wind knocked out of him. Taking the opportunity now presented to him, Sah locked his arms around her for half a second. Just long enough to send a solid headbutt at her.
do the stars
shine bright
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

He was nothing if not sturdy. Many might have been sent sprawling from the tackle, but Sah seemed to know his own strength and balanced out her attack. It turned into a grappling contest, and locked together as they were in a wrenching, twisting tangle of limbs, Sah might feel her silent chuckle heaving the chest.

Headbutting was not on Aino's schedule for the day, let's be real. She just barely managed to twist her head aside, and rather than forehead to forehead, the blow grazed her temple. It stung all the same, and reeling a bit she sent a leg out, trying to hook it behind Sah's so she might jerk him off balance. Pushing forward and the same time, Aino was prepared to bring them both to the ground if that's what it took; she was not about to lose to a kid.

A crowd of onlookers had begun to form at the edges of the training field; Shields and hunters young and old were watching and smirking; Sah might be relatively new, but most people knew Aino from her time as a soldier. There would be no end to the ribbing if she botched this.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah
Only in the dark
of night
Sah felt the chuckle, and a smirk came to his face once more. He did have to grit his teeth at the slight pain from smacking into her temple. But thankfully it wasn't horrible. Feeling her leg go around his, and seeing the shift in her weight, Sah realized her plan in time to react. The second her leg tugged on his, Sah gave a small jump, attempt to drive that knee up into her chest. The momentum did cause the two of them to still fall over, but Sah was prepared. He landed, balance intact, on his knees and attempted to pin Aino.

The Outlander had also noticed the crowd forming. He recognized a few faces from his many training sessions at the barracks, but even more were strangers. The audience only made his competitive streak trigger, strengthening his desire to win.
do the stars
shine bright
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

The youth was strong, and capable. More so than Aino har expected, in fact, and it was with a pleased sort of surprise she found him brought only  to the knees and not flat on his back, as she had intended.

But this time, experience won out over resilience. The fair-haired soldier twisted as she descended, wringing both herself and Sah sideways and down. As she slammed them into the ground with considerable force, the young wolf wound up benath her; and for a second he would be treated to the sight of Aino grinning down at him, flushed and out of breath but victorious.

"My win," she declared. Not one to gloat over a spar that had been very close, she immediately let go and got to her feet. Extending a hand to Sah to help him up, she looked on him newfound respect. "Ya sure know what you're doing, Sah. Ever thought about becoming a soldier?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah
Only in the dark
of night
Sah had to take a second and catch his breath. Taking Aino's hand he got up, giving her a grin. "Good spar." He brushed some of the dirt off of himself. Her offer once more about him becoming a soldier caught him off guard. Was he really showing that much promise? This form still felt so weak to him.

"Ah. Not right now. I've... I've fought in enough wars. Still trying to get my bearings in Caido first before I jump headfirst into fighting on the front lines again." He explained, a slightly grim smile on his face. "I might have the memories and mental experience from my original world still, but this body hasn't quite caught up." But with the constant training he was subjecting himself to, he'd get there eventually. But that was a concern for later. Training was done for today.

"Now, you owe me a drink." The teasing grin was back.
do the stars
shine bright
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

Not entirely sure what the youth was talking about, Aino nodded all the same. Knowing something in your head and having your body keep up with it was two different things. Coming to a new place with new customs would throw anyone for a loop, she was sure.
"Well, I'm happy te spar whenever ya feel up to it," she offered generously. "Even if you don't do it as a job, you've got some proper potential. Stay alive for another half year, and I've no doubt you'll overtake me." That it might be shorter time than that before she was bested was something Aino carefully chose to ignore. Let her keep her dreams, at least for a while longer.

Speaking of dreams, Sah's reminder had her throw the head back with a bark of laughter. "Aye, that I do! Come right this way, my young friend, and I'll see what the house has to offer."

Extending an arm to drap in comraderly fashion about his shoulders, she led the way off the training grounds and into the Snowcloak. If it had been later in the day, she might have chosen the Kraai - more comfortable, better booze - but for now, the destination she had in mind led them off towards the older houses, where families were big and sprawling and every neighbor was a relative or a friend - or both.

- FIN