[se] could be ghosts or monsters or a robot-vampire
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
empires fall when we move the unmovable, so tell me all of my secrets, tell me all of my lies,
The storm clouds had lingered on the horizon, ballooning with rain and an ominously heavy blanket over the Grounds. Humid. Hot. Altogether more swamp-like than their barren little town had any business being, Wessex is content to listen to the complaints while not being able to feel the sweat drip between her tits - better yet, not to sweat anymore.

When the wind finally picks up and the storm rages in, the Queen stands in her window and watches. It’s probably a little creepier than she means it to be, she’s simply… happy to be out of the Underground. Happy to be back here. Not so happy to have her time filled up with war-time preparations when she’d rather be out investigating Tallulah and the Prince (and you sure as hell can bet that theories are bouncing back and forth in her head).

Eventually that very same wind pushes the storm on, out past the ruins to whatever lies beyond, and the Queen leaves her house again as it subsides from a downpour to a drizzle, taking a moment to deliberately splash through the puddles in front of her house.
WESSEX
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
Nikolai
In the highest civilization
the book

Nikolai had all but raced out of his house the second the storm clouds had hidden the sun. Newly Ascended as he was, he still hadn't gotten used to remaining indoors all day. Although he'd enjoyed spending his days reading at home, all he wanted to do was go to the Atheneum. The ancient books excited him like nothing else, and the young Ascended had even begun to learn some of the ancient languages within.

It was as he was racing to his destination that he turned a corner and paused. Mostly to process what he was seeing. Wessex, the queen, was playing in puddles? This was the first time that Nikolai had met her but he recognized her by description. He had a small crisis trying to decide how he was supposed to greet her or react. He settled on just being himself, a terrible choice. "Playing in puddles?" He asked dryly.
is still the highest delight
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
empires fall when we move the unmovable, so tell me all of my secrets, tell me all of my lies,
The splashing of quick footsteps lets her know someone is coming, but Wessex doesn’t pay much attention to the person until they stop and observe what she’s doing. Turning to look at them - him, - the queen attempts to make eye contact before boldly stepping into the next puddle, sending water over the edges of the hole and ripples across the surface.

How very observant of him.

“You say that like you’ve never splashed through puddles,” she retorts, calling his childhood bluntly into question. Surely all children have done the same thing she’s doing, perhaps with a little more excitement and full-bodied enthusiasm, haven’t they? There's a tiny quirk to the corner of her mouth as she looks at the young man who was racing off to goddess-knows-where.

He’s one of the newly Ascended, she thinks, able to feel his mental presence in her head, but refrains from mentioning it quite yet.
WESSEX
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Nikolai
We are only haunted by the things we refuse to accept
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai scowled, temper rearing, frustrated at the delay in getting to his destination. Nikolai grit his teeth, chin up in defiance. "When I was a child, yes." He eyed Wessex with furrowed brows. "But you're not a child. You're the Queen. Aren't you supposed to act like it?" The second the words left his mouth, he felt terror. Externally he was just scowling, looking all like an impertinent brat. Internally, Nikolai was cursing himself mercilessly and sending a prayer to the Voice that Wessex wouldn't kill him. Or at the very least, grant him the ability to shut the fuck up. Please.
Resilience is born even when we feel like we are dying
-Alex Elle
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
She knows perfectly well what Queens are supposed to act like, according to Amun and Abasi and one or two other Outlanders who have said something similar to what Nikolai parrots now.

“Am I?” she quips back, wheeling around with an unmistakable glint in her eyes. “And which Queen should I act like? Zariah the Merciless, who made stupid laws and jailed people for disagreeing with her? Edy the Rapacious, who didn’t do shit? Rexanna the Penumbra, Evie the Evergreen? Those two didn’t do much either.” Making an attempt to hold his gaze, the Wraith defiantly makes another stomp of her foot, sending water up her legs and potentially even around Nikolai’s.

“Haven’t had Queens for most of your life, I’m guessing.” And most of hers, too. Glancing up at the House she’d built, a pale hand gestures lazily at it. “I live in a bigger house. That’s enough.”
WESSEX
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai took a step back cautiously, eyeing Wessex for half a moment as if she might strike. He had clearly chosen his words poorly. "I didn't mean it like that. They were tyrants or idiots, not queens. Some were both." Nikolai scowled as the water from Wessex's puddle hit his leg, looking not unlike a grumpy alley cat. "Really?" He deadpanned to cover up the fact that the sensation surprised him. Or more specifically, how diluted the sensation was for the new Ascended.

Still scowling, the disgruntled youth eyed the queen and her house. "No. Not many. And it certainly is a big house. Overcompensating for something?" He froze, eyes going wide with both surprise and rising terror when he realized he'd said his thoughts aloud. That, that question was not meant to be said out loud. "I...I... fuck, I... shit."
-Alex Elle
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Laughing, she spreads her hands and twists to gesture towards the house. “Well which is it?” One hand points to the house, the other towards the puddles while the rain still comes down around them. “Am I acting like a Queen for living in a house big enough to hold all the government meetings, or am I not, because I jump in puddles?”

He has to choose. One or the other. Or come up with something else, because Wessex’s pale blue gaze is intense, demanding, and locked on the new Ascended. But what’s lacking from it all is the sharp glimmer of violence. Even her aforementioned splash had been challenging but playful. Almost as if she’s trying to teach the guy a bit of a lesson.
WESSEX
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai's scowl returned. He felt like he was being mocked, and he hated it. There was a slight flush to his cheeks. Nikolai grit his teeth. "Oh for the love of. Just because you live in a big ass house doesn't make you a queen. You... fuck.." Nikolai threw his hands in the air, giving up. "This is why I don't talk to people!"

The new Ascended was genuinely pouting at this point, blatantly ignoring Wessex. He moodily stomped one of the puddles, it helping to relieve some of his stress. A small quip of his lips was present before he quickly forced his scowl back. Stomping in the puddle was not fun. It was not.
-Alex Elle
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Well he’s right about one thing, he is being mocked, but it’s entirely his own fault. As Wessex watches the flustered temper tantrum unfold, she calmly crosses her arms over her chest and levels an innocently confused gaze at him. “Really? Are you sure it’s not that people don’t want to talk to you? I don’t know you, but I’m sure they’re all dying to be told exactly how to live up to your expectations of how they should act.”

The last thing Wessex wants to deal with is some little newly Ascended shit who thinks he can be a dick just because they’re family. It might be the only thing keeping her from taking him and dangling him over the Bone Bridge until he issues an apology. In fact, maybe she should. Maybe the Wraith has gone tpo soft.
WESSEX
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai slumped,  his scowl taking on a sad tint. "Of course it is." His eyes wouldn't meet Wessex's as he mumbled under his breath, hopefully too quiet for her to hear. "I don't know how to talk to people, so they don't want to talk to me. So I never learn how to talk to them. It's a cycle." His scowl returned in full force as he eyed the Queen, his voice now fully audible. "So what about it?" Nikolai tried to sound unaffected but he was never great at hiding his emotions.

He really wanted this interaction to be over. He was just digging himself into a deeper hole and all he wanted to do was go to the  Atheneum and lose himself in the books there. The books didn't judge him at least.
-Alex Elle
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Unfortunately for Nikolai, Wessex’s hearing is far sharper than her sense of taste or touch, and she catches most of what he tries to hide, even over the faint pitter-patter of the rain. And she ain’t having any of it.

“Oh come on,” she scoffs. “That’s a bullshit excuse.” Crossing her arms, Wessex leans back a bit and eyes the young man, trying to access the angry, sarcastic part of her that once ruled supreme. “Be better,” she tells him, like it’s the easiest thing to do. “And you can start by not being a dick to the one family member whose literal job is to protect you.”

From like, everything that wants to get its claws into him these days.
WESSEX
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai grit his teeth, He opened his mouth, likely to spew some more bullshit when her last sentence hit him. His jaw clicked shut harshly. Family, right. That's what they were now. And Nikolai felt his stomach drop at the realization that he was acting like his father.

"I'm sorry." His voice clearly showed how unused to apologizing he was. But it was also obvious that it was a genuine one. "I'll be better." Nikolai paused, looking anxious as he glanced at Wessex. "Ah, how do I do that?" He wasn't kidding about not being the best at social interactions. Nikolai always struggled not to say exactly what was on his mind, no matter how rude.
-Alex Elle
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Oh, Wessex is as surprised as he is at the one-eighty, considering that last time she’d challenged someone to be better, they up and disappeared on her. She blinks once or twice, but then nods and silently accepts both his apology and not-quite-a-promise. Because the fact is that she (they) need him. They need every single person they can get. So it’s her job to keep them in the family and keep them cooperative.

“You start with me,” the Queen begins, far more gently this time, more motherly than anything else. She sticks out her hand to the boy in ano olive-branch gesture, one that she hopes reads as friendly and earnest. “Hi. I’m Wessex. I’m glad to meet you and sorry it didn’t happen sooner. Life is a bit crazy these days.” If he has any idea of what’s been going on around him, she hopes he will understand.
WESSEX
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai gives a small nod and shakes her hand, still eyeing her warily. "Hi. Nice to meet you Wessex. I'm Nikolai." He pauses and blinks for a moment before giving a small shrug. "I honestly didn't really expect to meet you, ever. I thought you'd be too busy with all the stuff going on to worry about every single new Ascended." Nikolai admits quietly, somewhat afraid of insulting her.

The new Ascended really hadn't ever expected to ever meet the Queen, it certainly showed how much he still had to learn about his new life. Suddenly having more people worrying about his wellbeing then just his mother was a drastic change for Nikolai.

Introductions made, Nikolai glances at the queen nervously. "Better?"
-Alex Elle