the spoils

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
consolation prizes

Dust and sand settle, and though the desert is vast and keeps mostly to herself, there have been eyes upon you the entire time. Now that the creature has been felled, a wagon pulled by a single old donkey comes tottering out through the darkness. "Y'did it! Knew y'could, I just did!" A man cackles. Jolly and round with a nose that's pink from a number of burst blood vessels, he seems equally arthritic as he is pleased to see you. Pulling back on the reins, the man shuffles off of the wagon, hitching his pants up to just below his breast bone.

"Now fer' yer reward. Come 'round back, and...say...weren't there 4 of yous?"

This thread is open to Maea, Melita, and Ronin
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
I swear I still believe but I don't know
"There were. Now there are only three."

In the aftermath, Ronin's light has all but extinguished. Elation has become something sour in the back of his throat, and he spends much if not all of his time in the aftermath of the bone monster's death tending to the body in the skeletal rubble.

Now Nathaniel's body is wrapped and carefully set on the nimbus which hovers somewhere above them, guarded by a pale dragon that is not Valvynn. A large bone is strapped to Ronin's back, along with all of his leftover supplies, the things he has brought, and though he follows the man around the back of the wagon, there is little about him to suggest joviality.

"I'm glad that you will be able to travel safely again."
the dark star
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Melita
I never had a chance to be soft
I was always bloody knuckles
Any other time, she might have been jovial. Triumphant. Ebullient, bounding, leaping, at the way things had turned out. A monster slain. A good deed done.

Except all the lighthearted fervency in the world couldn’t dismiss the way it had all played out in the end. Channeling. Summoning Safrin. Thinking she had it all made – Ronin’s power surging, searing, and then –

Her eyes went to the body on the nimbus. An individual she didn’t know at all, but who’d been willing to carry on the burden of striving, of trying. Her jaw locked, clenched and tight, and she stepped forward with the bone in her hand, swinging it idlely for lack of anything else to do or say, her eyes dry for the moment. Fangorn nestled his way around her ankles, some form of comfort that she couldn’t bother to sink into right now.
and shards of glass
I wanted people to be afraid of hurting me
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Don't paint wonderful lies on me that wash away
Subdued, Maea trailed after Ronin and Melita. Heavy guilt made her limbs move sluggishly, though it might simply be the aftermath of the fight. To her own astonishment she found herself uninjured, but there was no joy in the realization. She would have happily lost every single limb on her body, if it meant sparing the young soldier's life.

It didn't matter that he had chosen his line of work in the knowledge that death might be imminent.

With hands folded over her chest, a long thin rib bone tucked beneath an arm, she waited for the bumbling man to speak up. Rewards were promised, and she hoped he would be quick about it; she kept looking off to the horizon, eager to be long gone from the desert before the sun began to rise.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
consolation prizes

"Oh...uh..." Rubbing hands thick at the knuckles against the back of his neck, the wagoneer frowns at Ronin's boots and huffs a noncommittal sound. "Well if it helps at all, that critter killed an entire class a'school kids who were up here tryin' to dig up bones, so.." If life paid for death, then Nathaniel's certainly would cover the tab of what the monster had done.

"'k well...here's wot I got. Lots is junk, but..help yerselves. Maybe..y'can each have two, since...you know." He nods his head apologetically to where Nathaniel's body hovers.

A piece of glitter
Glass Terrarium
Spyglass
Scarf
Water bottle
Wine glass
Fireworks
Glasses
Safety Pin of Binding
Bag of Holding
Key
Cape
Music Box
Mirror
Magical two-way parchment
Vase
Rotten mushrooms
Chickens Foot
Shrunken Skull
Ring of Water Walking
Incense
Hunting Horn
Lucky Rabbit's Foot
Jerky
Obsidian Compass
Horn-Rimmed Spectacles
Jar of starlight
Bone Dice
Fae wing
Gloves of Crushing
Vile Vial
Goggles
Flametongue
Deck of Many Things
Hat of Revealing
Spearmint
Muggy Mug
Flask of Thirst
Dummy's Dowsing Rod

This thread is open to Maea, Melita, and Ronin
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Melita
Melita breathed, but it was difficult when something was clutching at her insides, and she wasn’t certain of the old man’s statement really made up for the loss. It was unfortunate that all those other children hadn’t made it – but it’d been for the soldier too. Sometimes the way things unraveled and unfurled just didn’t make sense to her, and she’d have to reckon with the fact. It simply hurt to do so now.

She inched her way forward, granting a nod at the wagoneer again. “Thank you,” before her eyes went towards the bounty. No avarice existed, no parallels of greed. At some venture, she simply wanted to get in and get out. There were so many options, so many choices, and everything hurt, binding and collecting – so her hands, her fingers, only inched out over two items, going for the gloves, and the spyglass.

--

Melita picks the Spyglass and Gloves of Crushing!
and shards of glass
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea held back, allowing the red-head go first. While she might have been eager to pick through the spoils any other time, the knowledge that a life had been the price of this, the rewards truly did feel insignificant.

Still, it would be foolish to reject the offer altogether, so when Melita was done the pale-haired woman stepped up and took her turn.

Much of it really did look like junk, but she did catch sight of a few things that piqued her interest. Picking out two items, she too bobbed her head in gratitude, and stepped aside to let Ronin have the final choice.

Maea picks the Ring of Water Walking, and the Obsidian Compass.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Ronin gives a grave nod to the wagon owner, his expression softening just a bit to hear what had happened to the kids prior to them getting there to stop the monster lurking beneath the sands. He's also conflicted about how to feel regarding it, but he hopes that Nathaniel would feel proud to have been part of the creature's demise, given what it had done. He stores all of that information away for later, watching as his companions step forth to collect their items.

And honestly, the Star is neither in the mood nor in a position where he needs any of this, and so his thoughts go instead to those most important to him instead. Stepping forward, he selects out a terrarium that might go quite well in Remi's shop, and a bag that would undoubtedly aid Mateo in his mischief and adventures.

"Thank you very much," he murmurs to the man. "Should you need help again, you need only post another notice."

Ronin picks the Glass Terrarium and the Bag of Holding!
the dark star

Change author:
consolation prizes

The man gives Maea a bit of a frown as she takes what she wants without so much as a thank-you. Removing his wide-brim hat and fanning his face with it, he nods to Melita and Ronin.

"Really do appreciate wot you folks did. If..if uh...well, tell that fellar's family that a lot more would'a died without his sacrifice."

Melita receives:
Spyglass | Can see through human-made structures up to a depth of 3 feet
Gloves of Crushing | Oversized green gauntlets that cause it's wearer to become mildly irritable and inevitably break fragile things when worn

Maea receives:
Ring of Water Walking | Allows the holder to walk on water
Obsidian Compass | Always points towards the Hollowed Ground

Ronin receives:
Glass Terrarium | Can keep alive anything planted inside of it with no maintenance, but is only 5ftx5ft
Bag of Holding | A bag that can hold an infinite number of items, so long as they fit within the bag's 3ft x 3ft opening. The bag always feels nearly weightless, but always looks about 75% full.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
“You’re welcome,” she echoed back, quiet and forlorn, perhaps far more hushed than she’d been in lifetimes. With her head bowed, eyes inscrutable and hardly any embers to them at all, the youth looked over the items: the glass in her palm, the gloves that were so ridiculous that she should’ve laughed. Maybe she’d gift them to Kamaria, watch the chaos ensue.

Then she backed away, enough to give Ronin a firm pat on the arm, because that was all she had left in her for now. No amount of comfort or assurance would’ve done the matter justice anyway. “Thank you again,” and she waved to the man, before sauntering out from whence she’d come, to inevitably crawl her way back to Torchline, feeding over the inward wounds where there were no outwards ones to placate.
and shards of glass
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea did not have it in her to react to the frowning man. She wanted to be done with this place and leave, and all the pleasantries grated on her. Was she supposed to say thank you, for a reward offered to a job now done? Was she to bow her head in gratitude over being given extras, as if blood money could repay the life lost?

The man ought to be sending rewards back to the family of the soldier, not heaping them upon their unworthy hands.

But she swallowed these sentiments, and stayed only as long as she needed. When her presence were no longer required, Maea simply pocketed her prize and nodded again, to her fellow combatants this time. Ronin was offered a pat on the shoulder in passing, and then she was gone; disappeared from the area with only a faint pop to echo in her wake.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"I'll be sure to let them know. Feel free to spread the word that this place is safe to travel again. Well... as safe as it can be." Ronin's smile doesn't reach his eyes, but he nods to the wagon owner nonetheless. And the touches to his arms, his shoulders by his companions is appreciated, even if it does little to alleviate the bitterness that thrums through his bones. "Travel safe," he advises them, watching them away and giving the sandy graveyard one last glance over before making his own way.

With the body and his items in tow, it's a bit of an awkward jumble, but Ronin just about manages it. He takes a long, deep breath, slips out his Order Compass, and focuses on home. On Stormbreak. On Remi. And then he's gone into the night with the others.

~FIN
the dark star