(SE) have you seen the rain
Varus Callahan
Assassin / Hollowed Grounds Captain

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
but the wolf is always there, even when i can't see it
It starts off as an easy walk, his arm looped with Isla’s, the moon casting down overhead, and an easy mood that settles into his mind that relaxes his shoulders, picking the trail to the woodlands with idle chatter between them. “You know, I used to run through the woods here when I was young. We’d have battles, branch swords to stab each other as we jumped from tree to tree.” He hums with a laugh, squinting through the branches as if he can imagine whether or not he can see just how much it’s changed.

He takes a deep breath he doesn’t need, stepping over a fallen log and offering his arm for her to balance herself as she goes to do the same. “The trees are a lot different though. Changed because of the barrier I think, not just the centuries.” He squints, before he snorts, flashing Isla a fanged smile as he picks the trail up again.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
Isla

take your medicine

"Battles? Primed for violence even as a youth, huh?" Isla grins at him as they stroll together, moonlight streaming through the trees and colouring her fair hair silver where it touches. "Here I was thinking you'd be a cutesy little bookworm." Nudging him playfully, she accepts his help so she might step over the log, hopping down and pressing onward.

Isla actually thinks he probably was a cutesy little bookworm behind closed doors, leaning into him comfortably as they continue to walk. "Mm? I had heard that," she agrees, a bit more solemnly. "The barrier caused a lot of things to go haywire. Animals, plantlife..." She shakes her head. "Maybe now that it's down, the woods can recover."

Varus Callahan

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Oh, don’t be fooled, I absolutely was.” He hums with a laugh. “Get all scraped up, go home, sit in front of the fire with my bandages and a book to nurse my wounds.” He says with an air of nostalgia, his metal hand rising to clasp at his chest as if it were a feeling he continued to try and chase. In a way, it was.

His arm remains wrapped around hers, the two of them nestled close as they continue to walk. “I heard…” He pauses with a hum of thought. “Squirrels with three eyes, six legged deer… All strange.” He comments offhandedly before he’s pausing as he hears a rustling in the leaves nearby. “I hope it does.” It’s quieter as he tilts his head in the direction of the sound he’s heard, a mischevious grin spreading across his face.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

"How adorable," Isla coos to him, grinning across at him and leaning in to drop a kiss against his shoulder, before she's focusing back on the forestry trail. "Well, if you ever want to battle here in the woods again, there are plenty of books back at home, though I'm afraid curling up by the fire might cause a few issues." Mostly in the instant death department; Isla might be a doctor, but she's not that good.

She nods in agreement with his appraisal of the sorts of things that had roamed the woodlands behind the barrier, pausing with him though she's not sure what the rustling might be. "Mm, I hope so too... what's up? Find anything interesting?" She asks, nudging him a bit. The mischief on his face is an indication that there's shitfuckery in their future, and Isla is here for it.

Varus Callahan

Change author:
Her cooing sparks a huff of a laugh from the Ascended, a fanged grin of amusement shot her way at the kiss pressed to his shoulder. “Hm, I think you’re right.” About the fire, of course, but he does give her a considering look – his freehand rising to scratch at the scruff on his face before it drops and he tilts his head toward her. “Guess you’ll have to do.” It’s cheeky and quite dorky, but Varus sticks with it regardless.

Until of course, there’s a sound in the trees that rustle, one that has him pausing to try and evaluate what may be causing such a sound.

Truthfully, it’s the last thing he needs. “I…” He trails off, before he’s standing still as he can – which is quite easy given the whole Ascension thing and not needing to breathe – because suddenly something drops on his shoulder – coiling and curling, cold and smooth and he slowly lifts his head to spy the snake that’s decided that he might make a decent perch, its tongue poking out as it slowly continues to lower itself until it’s draped across his shoulders as if he was made for it. “Well that explains it.” He comments, raising a brow over to Isla, something mischievous crossing his gaze.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

"I'll have to do?" Isla raises her eyebrows in playful offence, the medic considering punching him in the arm only to realise that it wouldn't really do anything. "You are lucky I like you, Cal," she informs him, falling to a halt as well to see whether or not he's going to let her in on the secret about what he's hearing or seeing. Except all of a sudden he grows very still in that sort of way - the way she's begun to recognise about him that could either mean imminent danger or his paranoia rising up.

"Hey..." she says softly, reaching out to touch a hand to his forearm when a snake drapes down and around his shoulders, like a scaly version of a feather boa. Isla can't help the grin that tugs at her lips, and she steps back to look at him properly with his new friend. "Did you nearly try to assassinate a hanging snake?" she asks. "It looks very good on you. Have you ever considered being a model?"

Varus Callahan

Change author:
There’s a playful gasp that overcomes him before the whole snake endeavor, her words reaching him and sparking a bright grin. “You’re so right. I am lucky.” He smirks. But it doesn’t last long as he stills, as the sound comes louder and he’s put on edge – suddenly quite the statue as he waits to see what comes next. It isn’t at all what he expects, though, and as the creature drapes itself upon him in a makeshift boa, Varus turning toward Isla once the snake has made itself comfortable.

I was calculating, thank you very much.” He manages to huff a laugh, reaching up with a hand to try and reorient the snake a bit. It goes willingly, inspecting him quite thoroughly – specifically the metal arm – when a thought occurs to him from Isla’s words and he’s striking a pose – one hand raised beneath the neck of the snake and the other on his hip. “How do I look?” He asks, chin tilted up in a playful display of nobility.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

"Oh is that what they call it?" Isla wonders with a cheeky smile. "It's calculating before it's assassinating. Right, right. I'll be sure to remember that for the future. Thank you for clarifying, Cal." Tilting her head, it appears that the hanging snake has zero intention of going anywhere right now - Isla has heard that they can be quite curious and inquisitive, and this one is definitely living up to its nature.

And as Cal strikes a pose, she lets out a laugh and steps back as if to see him properly. "Well," she says, "I can't possibly comment with you only in one pose." Another few steps back leads her to a fallen log to sit upon - which Isla does, back straight, her best judging face on. "Go on," she urges, waving imperiously at the forest floor. "There's your catwalk. Give me your best and I'll tell you whether it could become fashionable."

Varus Callahan

Change author:
You’re very welcome, Isla.” He chimes, flashing a grin her way as the snake makes its way at home on his shoulders – curling around his neck and one of his arms. His gaze darting between the snake literally hanging onto him and Isla for her reaction. He follows her a fraction until she sits, holding the pose quite well the entire time, before her words register and he’s humming and hawing in thought. “Yeah, I guess you can’t, huh?

That’s no matter, the catwalk is right there in the form of leaves and dirt and a path slightly made by deer and other larger creatures. So of course he’s going to take advantage of it – over the top, the jutting of a hip here and there as he puts on his best modeling face, stepping with purpose down the edge until the next branch has fallen over the ‘catwalk’ before he pauses and turns to face her, and absolutely makes a show walking back as the snake curls further around him. "How about now?"
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

Isla is very pleased indeed that Varus agrees with her, and as she settles upon her log to watch him work it, she really isn't quite sure what to expect. Sure, she knows his default is to be cheerful and silly, but perhaps this was a little too far even for him?

And yet, her Ascended assassin boyfriend does not disappoint. It is difficult to keep a straight face to watch him strut his stuff, hanging snake and all, and Isla's cheeks are round with her stifled laughter by the time he pauses, turns, and swaggers back. She applauds his efforts, just about managing to keep her voice steady to deliver her verdict.

"Bravo," she informs him. "You know, I don't think I could have done better myself. The snake was the perfect accoutrement. Though I think it might have done most of the work, Cal."

Varus Callahan

Change author:
It’s all quite silly, but it does do wonders to bring the spark of a smile to his face and apparently a huge amount of amusement to Isla, which is the goal at the end of the day. Even if he had his moments to freak out and shut down, he could at least counteract it with this, days to be ridiculous and goofy and hope that those stories outweigh the rampages he’d gone on before.

So when she delivers her verdict, Varus waits with quite the pose – the hanging snake’s head in his metal hand, his head angled toward it as he scans it over – until she tells him the snake did most of the work. There’s an air of a gasp that overcomes him, head snapping toward her with a raise of his brow, but the amused tilt of his lips gives away any attempts at seriousness he has. “Really? But I did all the walking.” He protests, turning back to look at the snake and furrow his brows, as if trying to inspect what the snake had done.

All the snake has to offer is the poking out of a tongue.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

Chuckling at his outrage, Isla rises to her feet and swans over to Varus, planting a kiss against his lips (the snake gets a small stroke to the top of its head, she's not quite at the level of kissing reptiles yet). "You did," she coos, "but it made you fashionable, Cal. I mean, look at it." Grinning between the Ascended and the hanging snake, she finally steps back to try and carefully unwind it around him.

"Still, gorgeous as it - and you - are, I think maybe we ought to move on, hm?" Tipping him a wink, she lets the hanging snake coil around her instead as she steps back to deposit it back in the tree where it came from. "If it happens again, though, I'll happily work the catwalk for you instead. All's fair in love and fashion."

Varus Callahan

Change author:
Varus gives into the kiss with ease, a crooked smile finding its way to his face as they part. The snake seems to nestle in a bit closer as they pull away and his gaze drifts back to the head of the snake that’s settled in the palm of his hand. “It is a pretty snake.” He concedes with a huff of a laugh, spinning only when Isla begins to remove and unwind the reptile from his neck and shoulders.

It takes her some work but she manages it, the snake curling around her as she goes to deposit it back into the woods. Her suggestion, though, has a louder laugh leaving him, nodding with a small shrug. “Yeah, guess that’s fair.” He offers, stepping back to her side. “Though I wonder what it might be like to have a snake as a companion.” His head tilts in consideration as they start to walk again.

And the rest of the conversation likely goes with the pros and cons of having a snake for a companion – what kind of pranks and things could be pulled with one as well.

- FIN <333
VARUS