Disappointments and preparations
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Ray
A panther in the night,
A fire burning bright
Ray was tidying up her shop, humming under her breath. The sun had set, but the Lunarium Apothecary would still be open for a few hours yet. Tensions had been rising in Caido, and so had tempers. Ray had had to fix up more roughed up teenagers and temperamental idiots in the past week then she usually had to do in a month. In order to deal with the extra workload she'd been getting less sleep and had  slight bags under her eyes show for it. There was no way that the herbalist would decrease her study and prep time right now. War was coming and Ray was determined to have as much supplies prepped and stored as possible. She'd been doubling her orders on herbs, creating batches of anything that wouldn't expire within a few months, and refreshing herself on dealing with more severe injuries.

Ray was a herbalist, a healer. And although she had a fighting spirit and could hold her own, chances were that she'd be more useful in a support role this time around. Maybe if gods forbid another war came later, she'd be ready for the frontlines then. Lost in  her thoughts, she barely heard the front door chime, only looking up when she heard footsteps. "Hello. Welcome to the Lunarium Apothecary. How can I help you today?"
the only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existance becomes an act of rebellion
-Albert Camus
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
NATE
i got a number on me, i got a number
won't make it through the high noon sun
It’s late. Too late for anything polite, too late for  ate to be anything other than frantic as he powers through the streets, wanting nothing more than to be home. Pemota drifts above his shoulder, effortlessly keeping up with his mad dash, if only because she and him are both very aware of the fact that her presence is the only thing keeping Nate from exploding right now.

The shop is familiar, in the kind of distant, dreamy way everything is familiar right now. Nate stops on the threshold to get a hold of himself, a smile on his face as he steps inside, managing to mostly tamp down the way he finches as the bell sounds. It takes a moment for a voice to greet him, but as soon as it does Nate is canting his run the Ray’s direction, his head cocking and his tongue poking out to wet his lips before he speaks. “I’ve run out of some uh, supplies. That lemony tea shit, for sore throats, and uh... the little yellow flowers, whatever they’re called.

His hand taps against his thigh the entire time he speaks, at least the one that doesn’t keep reaching up to not quite grab at the cigarette behind his ear does.
i was a hero early in the morning
i ain't no hero in the night
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Ray
A panther in the night,
A fire burning bright
Ray is about to greet Nate but quickly takes in his clear distress. And so instead, she gets right to work. "Alright, hang on." His description of the tea is easy enough to recognize and she grabs it from the shelf. A brew of lemon and honey that works wonders. She puts it on the counter before going straight to her dried herb shelves. Ray pauses and glances at Nate. "I've got a few yellow flowers. Yarrow for colds and stomach issues. Marigold for burns and bruises. Chamomile for disease, injuries, or insomnia. Any of those sound right?" She offers quickly as he clearly doesn't he the patience right now.

She notices how he seems inclined to smoke as well, but doesn't comment. As long as he doesn't try ot light it inside they'll be good. Ray glances at all of the dried herbs. There's way too many flammable things in here for such activities and she trusts that even while stressed, Nate is smart enough to realize that.
the only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existance becomes an act of rebellion
-Albert Camus
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE
Thank you.” Nate rumbles, glad he’s managed to get his urgency across. He moves to the counter, leaning back against it so he can watch the apothecarist work, his eye follow her around the shelves. “No, not any of those. I mean, insomnias kinda right, but the uh... the wart one. And... yknow, maybe the other one too, chamomile?” Leaning back against the counter, Nate thinks a second longer. “Actually, that bruise one too, fuck it.

Over supplied is better than under, right? And it’s not like Safrin’s shown up like she usually does, fixing with magic what Nate’d put his blood, sweat and tears into, so it’s the good old fashioned way. Though, that line of thinking has his growing dark, downright murderous, Nate suddenly snapping straight upright again, a heavy sigh pressed through his teeth.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
A panther in the night,
A fire burning bright
"Ah, got it." Ray nods, grabbing a bag of the dried the marigold and chamomile, placing them on the counter. She then goes to the shelf once more and reaching upon her toes to grab dried greater celandine, nature's best cure for warts. Supplies, gathered, Ray glances up at Nate in time to catch that sigh. "Anything else that I can do for you? An ear to vent to?" She offers.

Nate had done quite a bit for the herbalist. Helping her renovate her shop and sending patients her way for prescriptions. She owed a decent chuck of her recent success to him. Her inclination to help the demigod was strong, especially since the last time she saw him, he was in horrible shape, starved of fluid and dealing with the aftermath of torture. Regardless, Nate was clearly stressed and Ray identified with that strongly right about now. If he needed a good ole' vent session, she was willing to listen.
-Albert Camus
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
There’s something almost hypnotic about watching Ray work, something Nate gets to appreciate for a handful of moments. His eyes narrow at the last plant she grabs, like he’s not sure it’s exactly what he needs, but she’s the expert here. “I think that it for me.” He manages to offer Ray a smile, pausing just for a moment to consider the offer.

M’okay, thanks. I should really get back playin’ doctor. Who knows when Safrin’s gonna swoop in and show me up again, huh?” A humourless laugh wrings out of him before his own words sink in, and Nate straightens, shocked by himself. “Fuck. Fuck, sorry, I didn’t uh...” One last huff gasps out of him, his hand moving the smoke between his lips properly this time, though he still seems to know better than to reach for a match. “Any chance you could uh, forget that?
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
A panther in the night,
A fire burning bright
Ray nods and efficiently bags the items. Her hands freeze however at his slip of the tongue. Eyes wide, Ray regards the man in front of her. There were far too many implications to his question. None of them good either. Talking shit about the gods was never really a good idea, but Ray was still a bit annoyed about her prayer going unanswered.

And so handing him the bag, she speaks. "I asked Safrin with aid in preparing for the coming war. Knowledge and resources so I could save more lives. My offerings were accepted and I think she was pleased. But I didn't get the help I sought." Making a decision, Ray let out a small sigh. She quickly scooted past him to flip her sign to closed, and grabbed two chairs on her way back.

Upon returning, she gave one of the chairs a commanding pat before sitting in the other one. "Sit. Sit and vent. I won't tell a soul. You can consider it your payment for it all." She gave a small indicating  nod to the bag.
-Albert Camus
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
There is something carefully neutral in Nate’s face as he listen to Ray, his gaze never leaving her, not even blinking. He sucks his teeth before he speaks, his voice as polite as he can manage. “I’m not exactly sure our experiences are comparable.” Which was... fine, it was fine, he could understand it. He’d been on the opposite sides of conversations before. He could be mature about it. He’d always had to be before.

Nate does sit, the part of him that would normally protest shouted down by the part insisting he hold onto himself as much as possible. “I’m just... I’m jealous. Fuck is there t’see in me when there’s a goddess lookin’ after you?” It’s surprisingly honest, and a safer path to follow than anger, since he’s being forced to choose one.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
A panther in the night,
A fire burning bright
Ray nodded. "I doubt they are. You're far more involved with the gods then I likely ever will be." She gave a small grin. "But I'm still willing to lend an ear without judgement. And without repeating anything." The herbalist was pleasantly surprised when Nate sat down. She settled into her own chair and gave him the room to tell as much or as little as he was comfortable with.

Ray instantly catches on to what's going on once he starts talking. Nate's jealousy over Sunjata and Safrin's connection. And although she's never been in  even a remotely similar situation, she still empathizes. Between what she's heard of Safrin and how the Old gods in general view those connected to the Voice, she can fill in the blanks. Something happened where Sunjata had to make some kind of choice. And his choice made Nate feel insignificant and insecure in their bond. At least, that's what she's getting from what he's said so far. Ray gave a small sigh. "I'd be jealous too." She shook her head with frustration. "What exactly did Safrin say or do that triggered this?"
-Albert Camus
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
I am involved with my own goddess.” Nate corrects hastily, crossing his arms instead of returning the grin. There’s something childish about it, something that could be teasing without the context of the doctors sour mood.

Teeth bare in an automatic sneer, Nate not quite managing to school his expression and stop his tongue at the same time. “I’m not jealous. There’s no fucking point.” His brows pinch, and he turns to look out the window, as if he’d find something better to talk about out there. “Almost everything I do she can do better. Everything. And she hates me, not... not as an ascended, but personally.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
A panther in the night,
A fire burning bright
Ray has to fight the twitch in her lips at Nate's childish rebuttal. Instead her brows furrow in concern as he elaborates on what's bothering him. Ray doesn't bother to argue about the jealousy thing, there's no point, even if he clearly is feeling that way. Acknowledging it won't help right now.

The Attuned gives a low hum. "If it's not because of you being an Ascended, do you think she hates you because she's jealous?" Ray glances around nervously before continuing. "She clearly cares for Sunjata, had a kid with him and all. But you? You're his husband. He swore himself to you before he ever did to her. And he's still sworn. From what I've heard, there's been no signs of him wanting or even considering leaving you. For a goddess, that's got to sting. Even if she can do everything better as you say, you're the one who has Sunjata's heart." Ray offers the idea quietly. They might be alone but she'd rather not take any risks. Saying such things about a goddess isn't a great idea, but Nate sounds like he needs the reminder.
-Albert Camus
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
Nate tips his head back and forth, considering the idea. “I don’t think it’s jealousy really. It’s... A hand lifts to gesture, words stuck in his throat, as if somehow simple motions will get across the complexities. “It’s possessive.” He decides after a moment. “I’m daring to put my hands on what she considers hers.

Though, the more Ray spoke, the more it did begin to sound like she might be right though. “I know, believe me. I trust him completely. I just...” Nate sighs and drops his face into a waiting hand, a deep sigh shaking his shoulders. “She’s willing to do anything to get what she wants, I know she is. I know he’ll pick me, but I don’t know if he’ll get the choice.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
A panther in the night,
A fire burning bright
Ray hummed in thought. There were a lot of implications to possessiveness over jealousy. And none of them sounded good in term of Nate's safety and wellbeing. It did however make a small smile come to the herbalist's face to hear just how solid Nate at least felt in his relationship with Sunjata. That was great to hear and Ray was happy for him.

As for Safrin, Nate's words didn't bode well. "Just what do you think she might do to force him? How far do you think she'll go?" Ray's tone held concern for the safety of both men and the child. She vaguely wondered what it was about married men that Safrin seemed so drawn to.
-Albert Camus
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
She’s not going to stop short of sticking her hand up his ass and purporting him around.” Nate flaps his hand in a talking gesture while he speaks, as if he’s demonstrating exactly how she’d do it. It’s ridiculous. It almost makes him feel better, it if wasn’t for the fact that they were still talking about his all too real circumstances.

He lifts a hand to scratch at his shoulder under his shirt, eyes moving away from Ray again. “There’s nothing I can do for it. I can’t involve my own goddess more, or it puts him in danger, I can’t appease Safrin or it puts me in danger, there’s just... there’s no winning.” Nate sighs, and pulls his hand back, looking at the glimmer of fluid from a popped blister on his finger, then clenching his hand right. “And she’s the bitch judging the game.