{se} skipping stones
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
HARPER
Being back in the Grounds is strange to say the least. He knew the place forward and backward, had lived here for a good deal of time, and yet it no longer feels like home. If it ever truly had honestly. The added factor of the Ascended calling this their land only makes him more nervous, for all he’s plenty friendly with them. It’s something he cannot afford to continue doing with his vow to Safrin and he knows it. It has been some time since Harper has been to war, but the memories are strong, traumatic. Never far from reach. It’s not hard to slip back into that mindset, sequester away his empathy and kindheartedness.

But today is not that day, and the sun is high and warm. The children of the Grounds swarm around in the streets, not far from the watchful eyes of their parents from the vendor stalls. Harper slides into their masses as if he belongs there, jubilant laughter and bright smiles winning him their adoration immediately. Someone has gotten ahold of chalk, and they have created a long and elaborate hopscotch trail down the pathway. Funny how even in different worlds certain things persist. Harper crows with delight and immediately plucks a stone to throw into one of the boxes, hopping over it on one steady foot (acrobat, duh) and careening off down the path with an eager whoop.
Can we go back to the world we had?
With a love so sweet it makes me sad
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

It's strange visiting the town of places that aren't your home, watching people mill about in the streets and carry on with a life that has nothing to do with you, knowing they won't even miss you when you're gone. That's the thought passing through the Madame's head now as she winds her way through the market, pausing to make trades here and there for supplies to pack away into her bag, preparing to leave for the Greatwood. It's her next stop and Locke is surely waiting for her there. Just like he promised he would be. She's eager to get back to him and tell him of what's happened, but first, supplies. Aidon trots along beside her, refusing to sit atop her shoulders today, too curious to be so limited.

The sound of laughter catches his attention, catching sight of a man he doesn't know, but his curiosity wins out in the end. Especially as the man seems to balance on one foot, hopping on one foot over the stones, hooting and hollering the whole way. The dragon hurries over, leaving Maeve behind as he scampers closer, hopping behind the man in an act of mimicry. Aidon lets out a warbling trill, something that almost sounds like a laugh or perhaps another imitation of Harper's noises, drawing Maeve's attention at the sudden elation that shoots along their bond. It takes her a minute to find the dragon, having no clue where he ran off to until he provides a few brief images that gives it away, "Didn't know dragons could play hopscotch. Didn't know grown men could either." She calls out as she approaches, grinning at Harper as he turns to face her, arms crossing lightly over her chest.
Oh, cause all of the downs and the uppers
Keep making love to each other
And I'm trying, trying, I'm trying, trying
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
The shriek of the children around him is his first clue that something is up, and their pointing fingers lead his gaze to a dragon hopping in the squares behind him, clearly mimicking him. Harper gives a delighted laugh, completely unbothered by the draconic addition with how commonplace Prim is in his life. "You got this lil buddy!" he cheers as he pauses on one foot, impeccable balance giving him the chance to pump his fists in excited encouragement.

The dragon's bonded is not far behind, though Harper is surprised to see it's Maeve. She hadn't been bonded last he'd known. Winking her way, he gives a bright laugh. "You learn something new every day!" Waving her closer, still balancing on one foot even as the children start to swarm him to push playfully at his hips and knee to topple him, he talks over the sea of heads. "Good to see you Maeve! Is this little one attached to you? Because I think they're saying you should join us." Smile bright and welcoming. He'd worked at the Halenani for a long time, and been proud to see her take Phoebe's mantle - even if he'd left around the same time, following the woman around only to lose her a second time. Not that he'll let himself think that just yet, trying to believe she has merely been too busy for contact.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

It's easy to return his smile, nose wrinkling as a laugh bubble up in her throat, eyes dipping down to watch Aidon continue on his little endeavor. Apparently the dragon is very determined to actually finish what he started. Even if Harper is in the way. "You too, Harper. I didn't know you ran off to the Grounds." She hums, arching a brow as if to prod for an explanation of that. Maeve knew that he'd left and had plans to follow Phoebe, but she was surprised to find him here. Perhaps the new demi god had business? There was a chance. "He is indeed attached to me. Aidon meet Harper. Harper meet Aidon." Upon hearing his name, the dragon turns, warbling a greeting that sounds suspiciously like a 'hi!'. The little thing was pretty good at mimicry.

The invitation is tempting, but she puts on a show of thinking about it, head tilting from side to side before she sighs dramatically. "Fine. Only a few rounds though! I'm supposed to be heading for the Greatwood to meet someone." She finally agrees, grinning as she sets her bag down and moves towards the beginning of the course. "Get back over here. We're going to play fair." Aidon wraps around Harper's leg before bounding back towards Maeve, entire body wiggling beside her.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"Just visiting," he corrects pleasantly, blue eyes crinkling at the corners with his ever-present smile. There's no need to ask if she is doing the same. Harper would be astounded if she ever chose to leave Torchline, or the Halenani at all. Still balancing unerringly on one leg, Harper makes a dramatic bow, sweeping his arm across his waist and tilting his head in a cascade of curls towards Aidon. "It is a pleasure, sir Aidon." The children finally seem to give up on trying to topple him when it's clear they have little to no chance, far more interested in the dragon that is now in their midst. Only then does Harper cheekily return to both feet to the groans of the surrounding kids who notice.

Harper grins down at Aidon as he winds around his leg before jogging back to Maeve at the start of the course, claiming his stone as he goes and tossing it between his hands. "I am always fair, dear lady," he proclaims dramatically, feigning offense. "Who are you meeting?" Striking up conversation while he waits for her to throw her stone.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Of course she's just visiting. Her home will always be in Torchline. Anyone who knew her, knew that. The Madame wasn't one to leave often and if she did, she was always quick to return, unable to settle anywhere else like she could there. "Who are you visiting?" She asks curiously, pursing her lips as she joins him at the beginning of the course, Aidon standing right beside her in preparation to take his own turn.

Maeve scoffs, rolling her eyes, "We both know that isn't true! You cheat every time we played poker." The Madame reminds him, arching a brow as she dares him to argue when they both know she's right. Not that it matters. They never played fair. She hums softly, a small smile on her lips, "I'm meeting Locke. We're going to spend a little time travelling together before the last part of construction starts on the Halenani." Maeve selects her own stone, turning it over in her palm before gently tossing it onto the course, watching as it lands on three. She hops on one foot, moving through the course, landing on both feet at the doubles before switching back to one foot.

Making it to the end, she turns and repeats the process, bending down as she balances on one foot to scoop of her stone. She wobbles dangerously for a second before managing to get her balance again, grinning up at Harper before completing the course with a little flourish, "Alright, hot stuff, your turn. First to three wins."
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"Not a person - a place," he corrects kindly, smile warm. "I lived here for a long time before Phoebe and I moved to Torchline at Frey's behest. Really, I was just nostalgic. No real goal but the adventure - and now this of course." The smile blossoms into a boyish grin, which cracks beneath the weight of his laughter when she calls him out on his cheating. "It's not my fault you all have such terrible poker faces!" The objection is playful, ignoring the dark reasons behind why his own was so flawless.

Locke is a familiar name as well, both from living in Torchline for so long and from seeing him around Maeve more frequently in the past season. Knowing better than to pry - or tease - Harper instead watches as she throws her stone and begins to hop down the course. "In the Greatwood, you said. Well - I'd avoid Ludo's Woods, just in case. It can be...tough to deal with." Grimacing at the reminder of his own first - and only - meeting with Mort's herald, Harper shakes his curly head to dispel the thoughts.

Maeve's completion hangs on a thin balance for a moment, but her success is met with whooping and cheers from the man, heedless of the embarrassed and scornful looks it earns him from the older children who feel they have style to cramp in the first place. "Never challenge an acrobat to balance games my dear," he crows, and cheerily throws his stones down the course, confidently hopping off on one foot for his turn.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"Ah, that's right. I always forget that you weren't always in Torchline. I was so used to having you around." Maeve hums thoughtfully, offering him a sweet smile in return that quickly turns into a scoff. She rolls her eyes at him, arms crossing over her chest, "I do not have a bad poker face! You counted cards." Whether he did or didn't wasn't up for debate with the new Madame. As far as she was concerned he was a cheaty cheater who cheated at cards.

The mention of Ludo's Wood has her arching a brow, eyes glinting with curiosity, "What makes you say that? Have you been before?" Maeve asks, huffing as she concentrates on the course more closely, almost losing her balance before landing at the start with pebble in hand. Her cheeks flush with his cheering, a laugh bubbling up in her chest as she gives him a playful push, "You aren't the only one with the ability to balance, love. You forget that I'm well versed in ballet. I bet I could do this whole course on pointe."

It's a silly and unnecessary challenge, but it fits the game they're playing. A competitive back and forth they've always slipped into with each other when it came to doing anything.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
“Feels I’ve been here forever too,” he agrees, laughing lightly. Torchline had welcomed him with open arms it seemed, and Harper had never looked back. Though his smile turns into an impish grin, sharp at the edges and blue eyes sparkling with mischief. “I am innocent until proven guilty!” He had never bet anything on the rounds after the workers realized he’d clean them out of everything they owned.

“Well, they’re certainly not…patient. When I spoke to them, they were quite blunt, and insulted me a few times for my questions. Then told me I’d never see my loved ones from home in the after life. It wasn’t the best experience, even if they weren’t outwardly cruel.” In fact the memory still stings. It could have been much worse of course, but compared to Safrin the welcome was frigid to say the least.

Laughing as he springs agilely down the track and back, cartwheeling with one hand in each box in a blatant show-off, Harper lands feet first at her side. “I forgot you did ballet. I learned a little, maybe we can dance together someday.” He had taken to gymnastics more understandably, but ballet and gymnastics went hand in hand. Harper certainly had the muscle mass alone to hoist her around, even if he wasn’t graceful or trained.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve narrows her eyes playfully at him and Aidon mimics her, sending a puff of smoke his direction to back her up, but she laughs and rolls her eyes. Either way, she's not too concerned with it. Maeve knew better than to bet anything of value as soon as she figured out his little trick. They mostly played for dumb favors like drinks or candy or whatever other little things they fancied.

Her brows pull together, lips pressing into a thin line as she considers his words, "That sounds terrible... I've heard that they can be like that, though. Even their demi god says as much." Maeve offers him a look of understanding, eyes softening with it even as he shows off by flipping and tumbling across the board until he's standing back at the start with her.

"Oh it's been so long since I've had someone to dance with. You better not deny me the pleasure, Harper darling." She purrs, tossing him a wink as she flits past his, fingers trailing along his skin where she can reach before she's tossing her stone down the track and starting her own round, going up on pointe just as she said she would.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper doesn't know Remi intimately, but he's actually a little saddened to think the man feels the same way about the god he is tied to so fully. Empathy is something he cannot escape, and he wonders for a moment if he should reach out - but he is scarcely more than a pebble in the Lullaby's world, and any words of comfort or offered assistance have likely already been said to the man. "I'm sure it could be worse, I wasn't cursed or anything. But I thought I'd warn you, just so that you're safe." Or so that she'd be prepared, if she did seek out Ludo intentionally.

Even after seasons working in a brothel, Harper is weak to the flirtations of, well, everyone. His freckled cheeks blaze bright as a flustered laugh escapes him, tips of his ears and throat even bleeding red. Her touch leaves a tingling sensation across his skin, but at least he has the time it takes for her to complete her next circuit - on pointe at that, he notes with amusement - to compose himself. "Just tell me when and where, Mae-bell!" So saying, he snags his own rock and sets off after her with a laugh.

- FIN