Training like you mean it
Gideon
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
you are terrifying and strange and beautiful
It's a fucking nightmare right now, honestly, but with Remi gone to the Greatwood and Ronin left with the space he'd requested (and regrets), there's little more that he can do but make good on a notice he'd pinned just inside the Tower doors that morning. He'd offered training to any member of the Order who wants it, and until someone shows up to take him up on the offer, he's left punching the life out of a training dummy on his own.

One might assume it to be cathartic in a way, under the beaming LongHeat sun and with few dragoons about to watch, but there aren't really dummies that are sturdy enough for Ronin to take out his feelings on. So he works on precision rather than strength (hating it all the while), his shirt abandoned, his shoulders already reddened by the sun.
The huntsman
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Your soul is connected to the world you're in
Once upon a time, Gideon had been a strapping young man with broad shoulders and hands willing to take on any labour offered to him. He was hardly old now, but it had been a good few years since he had taken on any regular physical work. If there was to be another situation like his speech in Torchline, perhaps one where he couldn't get away quite so easily, Gideon worried he might be defeated in any resulting struggle.

Seeing Ronin's offer to train he decided to take him up on it. See just where his strength was. Besides, it would be nice to see the Demi God again, after the last time they had met had been quite so...odd.

"Just me?" He asked as he sidled into the ring, passing the Dragoons without a second thought. Knowing this could get physical, Gideon was not dressed in his usual robes or formal clothing, but a white tank top and some loose black pants - a bizarre sight for anyone that knew the Priest for his job, but vestments were hardly boxing gear. "I was hoping you could help me regain the scrapping skills I might have lost over the years."
You're dragging it down with the weight of your sin
Gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The sound of a voice has Ronin glancing up, the Star both surprised and not to see the Priest climbing into the ring with him. Indeed, it's a friendly smile he conjures for Gideon, Ronin nudging the dummy to the corner of the ring where they'll have space to spar, and he wipes the sweat from his brow with the back of his hand. "For now, yes. I trained the Artificer this morning, but I guess I'm all yours this afternoon."

And then he remembers their previous meeting, Ronin letting out a self-deprecating sort of chuckle and shaking his head. "Not like that, of course. Though it would be nice to speak to you properly for the first time. Here, I'll start: hi, I'm Ronin."

Stepping back to take a defensive stance, he tilts his head to hear that the other man wishes to regain his skill rather than learning it brand new. "Oh, did you scrap before, then?" he asks, clear interest in his voice. "The Priest has a colourful past, I see."
The huntsman
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
"Wonderful." Gideon said, not thinking of the double entendres possible until Ronin brought it up; a sly smile spread on his lips, but he said nothing else of it. He didn't kiss and tell, especially not with training Dragoons nearby.

Walking into the ring now that the dummy was out of the way, Gideon stretched, reaching his arms up above his head with his fingers laced. He wasn't sure what Ronin was going to have for him, but he knew it'd be a tougher workout than he'd had in a long while. With a laugh he brought a hand down to shake Ronins, nodding his head as he said: "Gideon. Good to meet you too."

Stepping back himself, trying to get into a position ready to be hit, he tilted his head from side to side. "It's been a long time. But I was once a young man with a labourious job and a lot of time at the pub just like anyone else. I got in my share of fights."
Gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Well that remains to be seen," Ronin jokes, a bright smile on his face. Gideon might not think it was so good to meet him by the time he's finished with him. And yes, there are double entendres in that, too.

"Oh, I don't doubt it. Alright - we'll start by seeing how well you remember how to defend, then," Ronin has been stationary for too long with the dummy besides, so it's a nice change to be the one to dart forward, aiming a strike at the Priest's right shoulder.

"How did you end up joining the Order?" he asks curiously. "A laborious job and plenty of fights in the pub at the end of the day is quite a colourful past to leave behind, right?"
The huntsman
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon was here to be trained, and if pain came along with that, he'd take it. There were a lot of things he'd take from a Demi-God such as Ronin. (Another one)

It seemed they were starting right away; He tried to dodge the sudden strike and while the full force of it missed, Ronin's knuckles still grazed his cheek. Not letting it stumble him, Gideon laughed and shook his head, getting himself more into the mindset; deciding to give Ronin an unexpected hit back, he aimed for the man's side and tried to swing a fist around to hit under his ribs.

Bouncing back whether he was successful or not, he shrugged. "Grew up. Realised I wanted to do something with my life - saw my brother wasting his and it was a kick up the ass. They needed help at the Temple, so I joined...eventually rose up the ranks and joined the Order. I'm old enough to want to do something important. Leave my mark." Maybe not a sentiment an immortal Demi God could relate to, but Gideon had resigned himself to life as a supporting role for the Gods.
Gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Gideon does take Ronin by surprise, the Star not expecting the other man to retaliate quite so quickly. He jumps back, but similarly, Gideon's strike grazes him beneath the ribs and has him huffing out a breath that's half a laugh. Straightening up, he rolls his shoulders and gives himself a chance to consider his next move. In the meantime, the Priest graces him with his history, Ronin raising his eyebrows and letting a small smile tease at his lips.

"In that situation, I think I would have been your brother," he confesses. "My older brother was always a lot more focused than I was. I was the waster - for a while, at least. I hope your brother managed to find something to do with his life that was more than drinking and fighting."

Less heart-to-heart though - they are training, after all, and Ronin steps in suddenly to sweep out his leg, trying to take Gideon's feet from under him.
The huntsman
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon, who had quite a high opinion of Ronin, was surprised to hear him say he was anything like Jonah; the two could not be further apart in his mind. Cracking his knuckles, he shook his head at the hope Jonah might have made anything of himself. "As far as I know, he was last seen drinking and making merry and letting himself be bitten by Ascended." He shuddered.

"Haven't seen or heard anything of him in...ten years, though." Long enough that he'd made a lantern for his lost brother this year - he may well have been dead, for all Gideon knew.

He was expecting Ronin to make some kind of move; he wasn't so old and out of it that he'd not seen what the other man was doing - get him talking, get him distracted. Gideon stood firm with his leg kicking out against Ronin's at the same time. Maybe not the best strategy, as with a loud crack their shins met and it smarted, but at least he wasn't on the ground.
Gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Wincing - both at the story of Gideon's brother and also the sound of their legs as they connect - Ronin gives a nod of encouragement, even approval, and draws his stance back to consider his next move. "That sounds hard," he murmurs. "I'm sorry to hear about it." The Star had ended up being more like his brother than he had ever expected, not that he had ever found him again either. Lost beyond the Wall in Northaven, Ronin has tried to make peace with that over the years.

Back to the fight, though - he considered Gideon briefly, before lurching forward once more into a flurry of strikes, aiming a blow to the Priest's abdomen and attempting to catch any strikes sent his way with his free hand. "You sure you haven't done this in a while?" He grins, visibly impressed.
The huntsman
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
"There's still time for him to get his head out of his ass yet. I still hold out a little hope, even if I'm sure he's either dead or in some den getting bitten." Clear derision in his voice, Gideon sighed and shook his head. He could just see it now, Jonah drinking and being drunk from in an orgy of loose morals and Godlessness.

Ronin's comment proved fitting as Gideon managed to catch the blow coming towards him and stay strong and solid. "I...have been in a few scraps, maybe." Nothing intense, but enough to keep him alert. The years had given a few more inches to his belly and wrinkles to his eyes, but the priest had always been strong in his arms and legs. "I'm sure you're using barely any of your power though, right? If we were really fighting, how would you dispose of me?"
Gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Do you know where he is? With things escalating, perhaps now is a time to build bridges...?" Far be it for Ronin to stick his nose into places it doesn't belong, but he knows he'd want to find out where his brother was, if he was able to. With blue eyes lighting up a bit as Gideon manages to catch his fist, Ronin twists and steps in, trying to grapple the Priest to the ground now.

"They must have been pretty good scraps, for you to remember so much," he teases, though all and all he has been thoroughly impressed by the bout. Still, as Gideon calls him out, it's not like Ronin can deny it. "Well, if we were really fighting hand to hand, it would be a simple matter of subduing you until you passed out," he says, carefully making no mention of using weapons or fighting to the death.
The huntsman
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon shook his head. "No idea. I've written letters to all the major cities but they never get a response, and I'm too busy to go on a long journey to find him especially when I can't guarantee I will." Unfortunately he'd had to long give up on Jonah, on ever having anything but memories of his brother (especially since Johnny was taking forever to make the profile).

This time, Ronin had successfully gotten him distracted with a conversation, Gideon went down with the grapple, gritting his teeth as he hit the ground with a smack. Immediately he tried to reverse their positions, hoping to put his knee between them and use the force to roll Ronin beneath him.

"Booze and strong young men is a hell of a combination-" He said with a laugh. Of course, his recent tangles with Ascended and practice for those came into it as well, but there was no need to bring that up and ruin the mood. As for Ronin's subduing, he raised his eyebrows as he exerted a heavy push of force. "--Subdue how? You must have some powers from the Gods."
Gideon
Base Code by Sky!
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Rather busy with the grapple and its reversal, Ronin can only frown in sympathy and offer a nod of understanding to Gideon. It's true that whilst the coming war did put a time limit on anything they might wish to accomplish before it happened, it also took a rather occupying place in one's mind. Ronin is in the same boat - hence all of this training too, he supposes. So he latches on to the lighter subject of conversation, huffing out a laugh and testing the limits of Gideon's strength before he allows the other man to pin him, shrugging up at him.

"Oh, plenty of powers," he says. He can't even act like it's a brag at this point - it simply is what it is. "None that I could properly show you without hurting you though, I don't think. I can't temper those the same way as I do my fists. If you want to join me for a drink, though, I'll tell you all about it?" It will involve Gideon releasing him though, if he doesn't mind too much.
The huntsman
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon could tell he was being humoured as he overpowered Ronin, knowing that it was unlikely he would be able to naturally pin him down, but he took the minor victory anyway. This scuffle did at least promise that out in the world when he was not fighting a Demi-God, he had a good chance of victory.

"I'd love to see them, but maybe I'll have to wait until we're side by side in a battle." The time would probably come, one way or another, where they would fight together. Seeing the God's powers channelled through a man was something Gideon would never tire of, a miracle and spectacle that confirmed and bolstered his faith.

That that man was also good natured was a bonus. With a chuckle he released Ronin from his grasp (though he was sure he could have gotten out himself) and sat back. "Absolutely. If only all fights ended so amicably."

{FIN}
Gideon
Base Code by Sky!