friendly faces in unknown places
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8 in (175cm) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 2 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
AINO

Aino led them through the neighborhood on sure feet, around corners and across yards where houses had been built gable to gable to shelter against the howling winds. Smoke rose eternally from chimneytops and the sound of voices never quite faded. Children laughing or crying, women shouting while the low murmur of male replies droned into a sprawling tapestry of sound that sighed of home.

The house she eventually approached was set slightly apart from the others, and had an older look to it even compared to most of the other structures. That the roof had undergone very recent and extensive repair could be seen in the stark difference of wood coloring; weathered logs of silvery gray sat side by side with yellowed pine, not yet dyed by wind, snow or glaring sun.

"Here we go. Be welcome and step inside; make yerself at home, and never mind me mum; she talks more than she needs to." Unbeknownst to Aino, this part of town was not unfamiliar to her young guest. She pried the door open all the same, and offered him passage into the warm, cozy rooms beyond with a lopsided grin.
Come and conquer, drop your bombs
Cross my borders and kill the calm
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2895
Sah
The wind howls
I answer
As Aino led them to their destination, Sah raised a brow. They were heading towards his home. They turned onto the street that held the older, more broken down homes The section that had still had a few empty abandoned places. The same street that Sah lived on. Now Sah was genuinely confused. Continuing down the street they came to the section where each house was further apart, broken placed in-between. They passed Sah's house, and moved towards his closest neighbor.

"Ah, Aino.." Sah tried to explain as they entered the house, only for the woman to cut him off with her introduction.  Wait. Her mom?! Sah shook his head, amusement clear as he walked in. He walked directly in as if he owned the place, not like a first-time guest. "Ilma! When were you going to tell me that Aino was your daughter?" He called out, leaving Aino and heading towards the living room where a small, elderly brunette was lounging on a plush couch. The laugh lines were obvious on her face, especially now as she smirked mischievous. "Let me have my fun brat! You'd have figured it out eventually!"

Sah shook his head with fond exasperation, glancing back at Aino. "Your mom is actually the one that has been helping me  adjust to Caido But she neglected to mention that she was your mom." Sah gave the old lady a mock glare, who simply cackled.
The storm rages
I conquer
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8 in (175cm) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
AINO

Left gaping as Sah marched straight in and started up banter with her mother like they were old friends - which... apparently they were? - Aino slowly followed inside and shut the door. Hands coming to rest on her hips, she gave the house a long look around. Ilma had been at it again; there were unwashed dishes in the kitchen nook and the scent of baked bread was heavy in the air. The fireplace had been swept, a bucket full of ash left with clear address to Aino, and not only had the elderly woman made it from bed to couch, but she had managed to acquire a pair of Aino's worn out socks and sat darning them like nothing untowards had ever happened.

A long suffering sigh escaped her at the mischievous winks between her mother and Sah. The young man might only see the wrinkles of laughter and indomitable spirit - but the daughter spied signs of pain and wear in the lines around her mother's lips. This was not the time to nag about it though; they'd had similar conversations too often already.

"No need to tell ya to make yerself at home, I see," she noted dryly to Sah, and started to peel her coat off. Kicking boots into a corner by the door, she stepped over to the cabinet and began to pull out glasses and a bottle of something that looked like water, but definitely was not.
"Ma neglects to tell me a lot of things. Has she told you that she used to be a hunter?"

"When I was young and spry, and could keep pace with a luxere at full sprint!" Ilma confirmed with chipper voice, grinning with amusement. "You better be pouring me one of those, too, lassie."

Aino snorted, and added another glass; the liquid sloshed into three small shots, that she brought over. One for Sah, one for the matron of the house, and the third she kept for herself.
"Cheers, then," she offered, raising her glass in Sah's direction.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah
The wind howls
I answer
Sah gave a sheepish grin at Aino. "Apparently not. I actually live right next door." Sah listened as Ilma recalled her days as a huntress. She hadn't explicitly stated it, but he'd guessed. "To match a luxere? Sure." He teased the elder, getting a pillow thrown at his head for it. The youth dodged with ease. "I'd have caught you, you punk! Hung you on my wall like a trophy." The woman insisted, getting a scoff from the young man. "Oh? I didn't realize you could fly?" This time the pillow hit him in the face, making the elder croon.

Rubbings his nose, Sah accepted the glass from Aino. "Thank you. Cheers." Taking a sip, the elder smirked. "So Aino." Her tone showed clear mischief. "Has Sah here told you that he's been human for less then a year? I've been at my wits end trying to catch this brat up to speed with basic life." Sah simply let out an exhausted sigh, knowing full well he was about to have whatever dignity he had left set on fire.
The storm rages
I conquer
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

Knocking back her drink, and promptly pouring another even as the vodka burned down her throat, Aino wasn't sure whether to cry or sigh or just laugh. Her mother was incorrigible, this she knew, but she'd had some hope of Sah at least being somewhat sensible. But these two seemed to get along well, thick as thieves, and apparently her peaceful days were wilting down into single digts.

"Uhuh, I see. That's a good one, ma. Have you eaten today, or was the bread for Toumo and the others?" She clearly did not believe her mother - too used to tall tales - and rolled her eyes at Sah as if this was a joke he should be protesting against. Setting glass aside, and leaving the bottle out for her mother and Sah to help themselves, Aino headed over to the kitchen.

"I'm eating just fine, dear, don't be such a worrywart. There's a loaf left for you - and two for this whelp over here, because he's clearly not eating enough." Jabbing her darning needle in the direction of the young man, he was given a shrewd look through narrowed eyes. "Did you go to the big woods yet, laddie?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah
Only in the dark
of night
Sah and Ilma shared a glance. The elder looked disappointed but Sah was pleased. "Told you that she wouldn't believe it." His voice was smug, and Ilma scoffed at her daughter. "Can't even tell a lie from the truth." Sah simple sighed and smiled sheepishly at Aino again. "It's actually true. Your mom was the one who taught me how to read and write. And well, how to mostly pass for human. If you hadn't realized, then I guess she's doing a good job." The old woman gave a self-satisfied nod when the Outlander stopped speaking.

Ilma then held a hand out to Sah, making a grabby motion. The Outlander gave her his hand as prompted, and the woman wrapped her fingers around his wrist. She made a tsking noise. "See this Aino? Too skinny!!! I bring the boy a casserole a day and he's still a twig! I had to step in! Keeping this boy alive is a part time job!"

Sah simply sighed and ignored her complaints. "I eat them. I promise." His voice was tired, having had this argument many many times. "And yes, I went to the Greatwoods. Thanks for telling me about Vai. She was really helpful with her advice. And her companion Coco is so sweet. I almost stole her. But I did come home with a wolf." He explained. "A wolf companion. I didn't just kidnap a wild wolf." Sah quickly reiterated at the elder's raised brow.

Sah glanced back at Aino for back up, as Ilma was still holding his wrist and making noises of displeasure. Sah was afraid he  was going to get another lecture.
do the stars
shine bright
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

Shooting Sah a look of solid disbelief, Aino didn't even stop her puttering about. Dishes were gathered, pots and pans stacked into neater piles and there was a slamming of buckets and a rush of water as the sink was filled - all with an efficiency that spoke of distaste.
"You're a wolf? Really. Then why aren't you shifting and making a mess like all the other Attuned?" she smirked, as if this was proof enough why his statement was a lie. Everyone knew that them Outlanders came in as the closest thing to what they had been in the past. And Sah had already told her of his magic.

"You won't convince her, youngling, so don't even bother," Ilma told him dryly. "Now sit down before I break my neck." Padding the edge of her couch, the woman scooted aside as best she could to make room, grumbling about men and their penchant for towering. She moved with visible effort, legs dragging lifeless after her - but she seemed not to care whether Sah was bothered by it or not.

"So you met the witch, did you. Found a pup too; that is good. Is that all you found, Sah?" There was a twinkle in the aged woman's eyes as she gazed up at him, deep with age and understanding.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah
Only in the dark
of night
Sah grimaced, an ache going through his chest at Aino's unintentional reminder. "I would if I could." He said sadly, getting a gentle squeeze on the hand from Ilma. "But I came in as an Abandoned because of my magic, regardless of what my physical form was." He gave one last try to convince Aino of the truth, even if Ilma had already given up. Regardless of if he'd managed to convince Aino or not, Sah sat down when prompted. Ilma's injury didn't bother him in the slightest, only made him want to protect her.  The woman had done so much for him, practically adopted him. He would have helped her move without judgment. But he knew she was too independent for that.

At the knowing question, Sah's ears went red. "Ah...well.. I did meet some interesting people on the road. Made a few friends too." A fond smile came to his lips as he recalled some of his encounters. "One in particular may have stood out, but that's all you're getting from me." He declared, not wanting to be teased relentlessly.
do the stars
shine bright
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

That Sah stuck to his story made Aino blink. Her gaze turned thoughtful for a moment, but as the young man sat down by her mother and fell into quiet talk, she turned away with a faint smile that could have been soft, if one could imagine such a look on the hard-edged woman. The rattle of her washing dishes sunk into a quieter tone, a backdrop song of sloshing water and clinking dishes and cutlery.

The fire was burning low in the hearth, sending the occasional shudder of sparks high into the chimney. It was peaceful, and homely even despite the empty chairs around a table that seemed much too large for a household of just two.

Ilma ignored Sah's refusal to tell her more and launched into furious attempts at prying the secret from Sah - names, the woman wanted names - but when he proved too stubborn even for her, she relented. Not without grumbling, but it was a fond sort.
"And what will you do, then, now that you have achieved your first goal?" she asked instead, releasing his hand so she could keep darning the socks.
"Oh, put a few logs on, will you? There's a good lad."
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah
Only in the dark
of night
Sah moved when prompted, quickly putting a few logs on the fire. The embers sparked up a bit and the house already felt warmer. He went to return to his seat, but adjusted the blanket around Ilma first, much to her protest. "I can do it myself brat." She half-heartedly smacked his hands away but Sah just winked and completed the task. Back at his spot, Sah sighed. "I'm not sure just yet. I did promise to make that shrine visit but I'm not really eager to go. I will. It's just that I just got home. I want to stay in Halo for a bit, get Lilly used to the area."

Ilma nodded, as he's already told her about that plan. "I see. Now, go help your sister with the dishes and bring me a snack, will you?" She then waved Sah off who was frozen stiff. "My what?" He glanced at the kitchen, not fully comprehending, and not sure if Aino had heard Ilma. The elder had said that rather quietly.
do the stars
shine bright
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

Aino had heard. Looking up, she looked sternly at her mother. Then at Sah; but on seeing the bewildered look on his face she snorted and began to cackle, quietly and to herself. Waving a hand for the young man to come over and help, she tried not to grin too widely at him. Or laugh too hard.

There was no hiding her amusement though.

"Looks like you've been adopted," she teased him, handing over a plate and pointing to some towels; his job would be to dry off the dishes. "Don't argue, if you know what's good for yerself. Ma keeps bringing people home - it's her hobby, I think."

"It is not!" came a protest from the couch. Aino ignored it.

"Think of it what you will, Sah. Just..." Frowning softly into the soapy water, the woman flicked some bubbles from her fingers and rested palms at the edge of the sink. "Well. If ya need somewhere to go. Or, ye know... want a family. We've got room."

And since Ilma had seemingly made up her mind about this, the young wolf really did not have much to say on the matter. Aino didn't mind either way, if her lack of protests was any indication.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Trigger Warning 
Sah
Only in the dark
of night
Sah was silent, still processing as he started to dry the plates in a mechanical manner. His thoughts were racing. He stayed silent until both Ilma and Aino stopped talking, simply nodding as if that would get the acceptance into his mind. From the couch, Ilma watched him knowingly, a sad smile on her face. "It's ok Sah." She said quietly, not getting a response.

The lady sighed. "Come here pup." She held her arms out and Sah warily, like a spooked animal, returned the hug. He melted upon contact, shaking slightly. "We're not going anywhere ok?" Sah was still silent and Ilma looked up at her daughter. "His family died less then a year ago. All of them. Right before he was brought to Caido." She explained, tightening her hold on the Outlander. "An apocalypse."
do the stars
shine bright
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
AINO

Slowly, Aino's hands came to a stop. As the silence dragged out, her face grew gradually harder to read, as emotions boiled up beneath a mask of neutrality. When Sah was beckoned over to Ilma - soft and warm, all rough edges lost as the motherly switch was turned on - Aino left the dishes and reached for a teapot. Filling it with water, she placed it over the fire; this called for tea, not vodka. Or maybe... she let the bottle sit in the open, just in case.

Then she too came over. Not to offer hugs - it was not in her nature - but to drag a chair over and sit close, offering her presence as best she could.
"I'm sorry to hear that, Sah." Her voice was quiet, with sympathy hidden beneath layers of carefully arranged calm. "I'm sure mum told you already, but we lost family too. Not too long ago." A glance at Ilma saw the elderly woman nod in confirmation, as she stroked a soothing hand over Sah's hair.

"We cannot replace them, nor will we try," Ilma soothed. "But you cannot survive Halo on your own. No matter how many friends you have, or how lovely your new follower is."
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah
Only in the dark
of night
Sah just nodded into Ilma's shoulder, still struggling to get a hold on his emotions. After a long moment of Sah silently shaking, too overwhelmed to even cry, he calmed down enough to speak. "Thank you." He practically croaked out. Composing himself enough, Sah drew back to sit on the couch next to Ilma. His ears were slightly red with embarrassment.

"Thank you. I... thank you." Sah genuinely didn't know what else there was to say. It was one thing for Ilma to be his kind neighbor who taught him how to be a person, who he helped around the house. For her and Aino to offer him family? Pack? That was so..so...so much more. Human as he may be now, Sah was still a pack animal. To be offered a place here with them meant more then he could put into words.
do the stars
shine bright