to a place I've never been
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
A raucous crow, a rootless tree
A coiled adder, night-old ice
It had been too long since the raven soared above the vast plains of the Tundra. Almost a full season had passed since he had been brought home, injured and starving, to the tender care of family. His wounds were healed now, and even a soul torn and rent to tatters was slowly finding peace.

A golden bauble was held tightly in the bird's talons as he flew. A gift from a goddess, that had not left his side since then, was much to thank for the peace that sung in his heart at this point. It echoed through the bond whenever he reached out to nudge at Noah down below - a gentle touch to assure the hunter that he was not about to fly off and leave the Olson alone again.

Beady blue eyes scanned the horizon, searching for signs of movement. There had yet to be anything worth noting, but it was still early in the day. Angling his wings into a wide circle, he descended down to fly beside his brother for a while.
"What are we looking for?" came a though; a little absent, but far more coherent than it had been at their reunion some months ago.
A racing stallion who has wrenched a leg,
Are never safe: let no man trust them.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 9 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 47 - Endr: 46 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
Noah

Noah needed the reassurance. Deep within his gut he was still worried that the youngest Hale would leave him again. That the tundra would be too much for him and the call to the freedom and peace and solace he felt before would be too strong a pull for him to resist. Nonetheless, Noah had asked him to come with him, and he hoped that Korbin would stay with him because Noah wanted his help, his company, his time. when Korbin reassured him over the bond, Noah latched onto that.

I want to test something. Something I have seen other attuned do. Noah felt himself getting stronger everyday, feeling closer and closer to the world around him. There was something gnawing at him. I have seen other attuned command wild animals...and I want to try that. The reindeer trotted below the raven, the shadow of his companion waving over him just as Korbin's did. The griffin stayed close to the raven, though she was growing much larger than him now.

Am I a prisoner to instincts or do my thoughts just live as free
And detached as boats to the dock?
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
A sonorous caw reverberated out across the plains in response - an acknowledgement, and acceptance of this wish to experiment. Images filtered through the bond, flashing location ideas as suggestions; it was a habit Korbin had picked up from spending so long in this form. Even though speech came easier, sometimes it was easier to just project what he wanted to say. Torny bushes full of ningo? A spot in a fork by the roots of the Fangs where luxere gathered, or the outskirts of Whitebrim where several foxes were known to make dens were some of his suggestions.

But the raven kept watching the reindeer from his elevated spot, and a sluggish thought, somewhat reluctant to dig, still managed a question.
"You have been seething for days now. Why?"  

Never so obvious that it showed, Korbin knew his friend too well not to notice that something was wrong.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Noah

Noah worked through the images as they appeared to him. Eira chirped alongside Korbin, banking slightly to circle wide around the pair. Let's try something more simple -- let's just try what I am. There is a herd of reindeer I spotted hanging out just slightly to the east, not too far from where I found you. Noah continued to trot on, changing his direction just so slightly as to lead them to where he thought the herd might be. All of his years of tracking and scouting rarely proved him wrong.

At Korbin's question, Noah faltered slightly. His human face would have pulled down into a deep frown, thought lines cresting and cutting his forehead. The world is changing, and there has been a lot of that since you were gone. He finally said, after some silence. I am trying to navigate that change. Trying to be the best protector and provider I can be for Halo. I do not want to see our home taken or destroyed in this battle between the gods.

Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The raven acquiesced easily to Noah's suggestion. As dark wings adjusted the course, a quiet reflection passed through the bond. Of how much Noah had changed. Once, Korbin's options would have been mulled over and chosen, without the hunter even thinking to reject them for something of his own. This assertiveness was subtle as it was new... and the raven approved of it, wholeheartedly.

Perhaps this change had something to do with it. Being left alone to cope in a world no longer simple and straightforward could not have been easy. A tang of regret for his absence rose like bile in the bird's gizzard - even though Korbin knew he could never have done differently.

"Are you going to fight?" The question was soft, neutral, and might have been indifferent if not for the undercurrent of fear. Eira was given a quick glance; they could not speak upright, but an understanding had been slowly building between them. Joined in shared affection for Noah.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
Noah

Time and experience had turned the hunter's general demeanor about moving along other's opinions turned. While Noah may have always been a glacier of a man, he was a glacier of a man who chose his own path now. He made decisions. He supposed that this was due to the nature of the role he held within Halo's government, but it was also a shield he placed over himself. His heart and been broken, and he didn't want that to happen again--in any form, from anyone. He needed to guard himself.

"I will do what it takes to keep Halo and it's people safe." He said, matter of fact. "I asked Frey to help me be a good guardian for the people." Noah knew the world was going to war. He knew there would be trouble between the old gods and the new, and Noah knew his people would be in danger. He had to do what he could to keep them safe, and he knew he needed to keep them safe from the Voice.

As the reindeer crested over a hill of mounded snow, he caught the herd of reindeer in the distance. Eira sent a sharp, hot prod in his mind and he could feel her excitement rising.

Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The raven cocked its head and blinked down at the reindeer. Fondness slipped from his barriers, so carefully raised save for in times like these - when Noah was the only one around to hear. Korbin had his own shields. He understood.

"You were always a guardian," he agreed. Whether and how Frey chose to enable Noah, it would only emphasise something that had always been there. Steadfast and immovable as the Fangs, everpresent as the frozen winds over the Tundra; let only the worthy be welcomed to sit by this unquenchable fire, to bask in the warmth of the kindness Noah held in such vast amounts.

Korbin hoped he had not squandered his own right to be where he was.

The earth rolled beneath them, and as new horizons spread out beyond the hill, the target of their excursion came into view. With easy wing-beats, the raven gained in elevation though remained within speaking distance.
"What do you need me to do?" It was a layered question. Reindeers and bloody battles overlapped in the imagery Korbin sent along with the words. Permeating the message was a feeling of quiet acceptance. Whatever Noah decided to do, he would always have at least one ally on his side.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
Noah

Korbin was the only one who deserved to be so close.

The herd was a small band of doe and fawn, mixed together. The season was soon approaching where does would leave their fawns to their own devices to mate again, and then came the greatest season for hulking bucks that Noah knew. He did not want to harvest any of these deer today, merely test out the suspicion he had of himself within the depths of his breast. As Korbin flew, Noah paused at the crest of the hill and shifted back to his human form.

He crouched in the snow, glacier eyes fixated on the herd that hadn't seemed to become aware of their presence yet. Eira flew higher, her white figure disappearing in the clouds. I want you to...bother them. It seemed weird, but Noah knew Korbin would know what he meant. Dive bomb them, attempt to scatter them--anything that will get them riled up. Noah stayed still on the crest of piled snow, waiting.

Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Two sonorous calls confirmed the tactic and the goal of the day. Melancholy introspection was set aside for the benefit of focus, and with almost gleeful determination Korbin lost himself in the moment. Dark wings brought him up and out over the small herd, to circle and consider the best approach. Scatter them, was it? Well then.

Like a black stone the raven dropped down towards a smaller cluster of young fawns. Though ravens were not known for carrying off such large prey, it was not unheard of for them to chase and harry a larger animal, wear them out until something else might bring it down. Ever had ravens and wolves hunted together, and as Korbin let out raucous noise and harried the young critters into startled movement, this was the impression he sought to instill.

It was quite fun, actually. A few sharp pecks on a furry rump, a bit of loud noise and suddenly everyone was running around like headless ningos. The raven's hoarse caws sounded an awful lot like laughter as he kept wreaking havoc among the reindeer.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
Noah

The raven dove and cawed, teasing and playing with the herd in a manner that made obvious this was not the first time. Noah knew that. Together they had scattered herds and hunted. Korbin knew exactly what Noah was asking of him because this was not an unusual thing for the pair of Halovians to do. Today, however, Noah would be stretching new muscles.

He focused on a few of the does, his thoughts clear in his mind. He wanted them to stay where they were, even as they were being divebombed by the raven. Eira circled above, trilling her delight as a triumphant satisfaction rolled over Noah's chest. Focus on the ones that aren't moving -- see if you can make them. Noah sent out over the bond, eyes staying on the still does even as the others bounded away towards the horizon.

Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The communion was received clearly, and with a deft angling of dark wings Korbin shifted in the air. It took only a moment for him to spot the small cluster of creatures that despite the general frenzy of the herd remained still, and began to dive repeatedly against their faces. Time and again he had to veer sharply out of their way, so close that silken wingtips actually brushed against their mild, gentle faces.

It was quite entertaining, but the raven wasn't sure what purpose this served. So Noah could hold them still... was he planning to hunt like this? It seemed a terribly unfair way to do it. Cold, somehow, and cruel in a way that a dance of predator and prey would never become.

Just to really test the limits, the raven circled around and actually attempted to land on the rump of one of the does. In this cacophony of sound and movement, it would normally have been unthinkeable... would the creature allow it? Did she have a choice?
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

Noah was not trying to come up with any rotten ploy to aid in his hunting. Simply, he was stretching new muscles and abilities. Eira soared silently above, keeping her golden eyes on the fleeing herd. Her heart panged at the missed opportunity for a hunt, but the determination in her bondmate's heart kept her from pursuing on her own.

As Korbin pressed on in his task, Noah worked through a command. The does followed swiftly, they legs bending beneath them and their bodies curling. Both curled their heads and were almost instantly asleep -- exactly what Noah had commanded of them. Satisfaction rolled over the hunter and he jumped up, his human form taking over once more, arms pumping in the air. "I did it!" He said out loud, smile breaking his features.

They'll follow my commands. Noah poured over the bond, his excitement evident in his words.

I'll follow you down through the eye of the storm

Don't worry I'll keep you warm
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Evidently, Noah was pleased with himself. Korbin still failed to see the point, but a faint thread of amusement coiled through the attuned bond at the man's exuberant glee. It was a rare thing, and the raven rather enjoyed seeing that unfettered and free smile on his brother's face.

"Luxere too?" came a dry query, full of mischief. An image accompanied the words, of the streets of Snowcloak packed full with deer-like creatures, the heads of glowing antlers so tightly packed that not a door or window could be opened. To the frustration of many a hunter, no doubt, which was the entire point.

As they made ready to return home, Korbin spent the time amusing Noah with more and wilder uses for this new reindeer-whispering skill of his. From pulling sleighs like dogs to being ridden like horses, he had soon painted a vibrant picture of an empire built on the backs of these dull, skittish creatures, and by the time they saw the gates of the Citadel, Noah had just been crowned king of the reindeers, complete with a crown of horns.

Korbin thought it was all very funny. Whether Noah agreed... well.

- FIN