whatever, let's get lost on Mars
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Oh, empty my heart
A familiar face waving past in the milling crowd had Seren's eyes go wide. When she was able to detangle herself from fathers, siblings and uncles, she strayed off along the laden tables in search for Sah.

It was impossible to move at more than a leisurely pace. Everyone around her seemed set on filling their bellies with food and drink. Having become entangled in a winding queue, she emerged slightly flushed with a plate full of sweets in one hand and a large bottle of something slightly sour and sparkly in the other - more food than she could possibly eat on her own.

There was a strong urge to hover up into the air and spy around for the young wolf... but the idea of the many eyed crowd staring at her from below put her off the idea straight away.

Biting her lip, she withdrew to the outskirts of the party area and found a spot where large boulders jutted out of the flowery meadow. Seating herself on one of them, she set the burdens down and kicked off the shoes with a soft groan of relief; sinking her toes into dewey grass was always the best feeling.
I've got to make room for this feeling
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2895
I have never feared the storm
Sah glanced up from his corner of the party when he saw Seren walk by. He's noticed her earlier but she'd been occupied with family so he hadn't intruded. As she walked past, she didn't spare him a glance. It seemed that concealed as he was, the demigod hadn't noticed him. Glancing around for a second, Sah and Lilly then made their way over.

The demigod had chosen a beautiful and slightly isolated spot, perfect to talk in without having to yell over the crowd. Plopping down on the other rock across from Seren, the Abandoned gave her a warm grin. "Hey Seren. Long time time no see. I have to say, I didn't expect to see you before I sent off my next letter." A lot had happened since then, too much to write a brief one at least.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
Apparently she was way easier to spot than she was good at looking. She had been seated no more than a few minutes when footsteps through tall grass announced the arrival of exactly the person she had been looking for.

"Sah! Hi. I knew I saw you. You came all the way from Halo for this?" Beaming back at him, she leaned down to greet Lilly with soft coos and gentle strokes over the ears. Relaxed and perfectly at ease in the gathering twilight, she was glad Umbra was not there to be grumpy; the dragon had flown off with Sugar, playing tag or playfighting somewhere far off.

"You were writing me a letter?" This surprised her a little, but by the look on her face, Seren was quite pleased. "Want to tell me what it's about, or is it a surprise?" Ah, the dilemma.
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah's lips twitched into a wider smile. He hadn't expected Seren to beam when she saw him. And seeing Lilly so happy to see the demigod was sweet, the pup was wagging away and preening under the attention. It made that weird warm feeling in Sah's stomach return, but he quickly ignored it and focused on the conversation. "I did. The whole situation seemed bizarre and I sincerely doubt it's just going to be a normal party. I wanted to come and see what happened for myself." He explained his suspicions. As for the letter, he nodded. "I was responding to your lost one. Just checking in on how you were doing and answering the questions you asked. You asked about my kind's culture remember?"He reminded her.

Sah settled into his seat, enjoying the warm sunlight. "I may as well answer now. No, my kind did not have organize culture and books. Having paws and no thumbs made reading and writing kind of useless. We could read magic runes though. And we did have a rich oral based culture." Sah's smile turned mischievous. "And yes, I am surprisingly good with words for a wolf. My mind hasn't changed since I came to Caido, I'm just now capable of writing." He explained with a slightly teasing tone.

Sah eyed Seren with mild concern. "But I was also going to ask if things had settled? You were pretty distraught and although I'm glad you had the sense not to write it all down, I was still worried about the details." He watched her body language, trying to see if there were any signs of further stress or anxiety.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
Seren nodded eagerly, understanding his suspicions. "It is strange, isn't it. I was listening around a bit when looking for you, and no one seems to know who sent the invitations. Do you think it might be spirits?" Her eyes glittered at the thought. Having never come across any herself, they were fantastical along the same lines as pirates and mermaids in her mind. Out there, somewhere, if only she could find them.

In all honesty, Seren had forgotten much about the letter she had sent. Once questions were asked and put on paper they were gone from her mind, and she was a little stunned that Sah rememebered them so vividly. But she settled in to listen all the same, intrigued all over again by the descriptions of a culture now lost. Sneaking bites from her plate to herself - and the puppy, when she thought Sah wasn't looking - she absently dragged it over to where he could reach it too.
"Do you still remember how to write those runes?" The idea of symbols charged with magic was interesting. "Maybe you'll be able to use them again, eventually. How did they work?"

His searching eyes would find nothing amiss. Seren looked perfectly relaxed where she sat, draped leisurely over the rock like it was a settee in her livingroom. Calm and a new peace had settled into her vivid eyes, and they glittered faintly when she gave him a reassuring smile.
"Mh? Yes, I'm fine. Writing to you helped, and I was able to talk things out with another friend as well. I got to see my mother the other day too, so everything feels much better now. Not as overwhelming." Warmth made the blue color of her irises deepen into almost violet. "No need to worry about me, Sah."
SEREN
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah hummed at the idea of spirits being the cause. "Maybe? They can be pretty interesting beings. I actually met one recently. At least I think that's what they were? I visited the shrine in Halo and instead of my prayer being answered by a god, something possessed one of the candles and asked me about my life story." He gave a small shrug. "It was pretty odd. Flattering, but odd." Sah bit his lip, trying to hold in his laughter as Seren snuck Lilly snacks. The movement was obvious, and even if it wasn't, the overwhelming excitement and anticipation coming from the pup through their bond was clear enough.

As for runes, that made Sah pause. "Maybe? I still remember what they looked like, and how they were used. I never used them myself, but I might be able to try? From what I understand it was like writing a spell down only for you to use your energy later to actually activate it." He paused, trying to put it into words. "Kind of like pre-preparing it almost?" It was a bit of a difficult concept to explain, especially to someone who's knowledge of magic had a completely separate foundation.

Observing Seren, Sah was glad to see that she was telling the truth. The demigod truly did seem ok, and it made the last of Sah's tension bleed out. "I'm glad." That did remind him though. Sah scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. "One other thing happened lately that I was going to tell you. That kind neighbor of mine? Her name's Ilma. Well... it turns out one of my sparring partners in Halo is her daughter. She brought me over for dinner after a session and that's how I found out. And..." A shy smile came to his lips. "They adopted me. I'm still processing it but....I never expected both my neighbor and her daughter to be ok with it, and yet..." Sah shrugged, honestly not sure how to put the emotions into words. "It's a bit overwhelming still."
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
"Really?" It was tempting to lean in further as Sah explained about his encounter, but the slight motion forward almost had Seren toppling off the rock. So she settled for nibbling a cookie with focused intensity instead. "And did you answer?" Her grin turned a little teasing. "You do seem to like talking about yourself." Sah really had no business telling anyone else to guard their secrets. Not that she minded of course, it was just a little ironic.

A finger traced invisible symbols in the air as Seren processed the notion of these runes. The idea of inscribing magic for later use was interesting indeed, though not something she had seen before.
"Most of the magic here in Caido is applied directly by the caster, or tied to items," she mused.
"It could be quite useful if you were able to, say... bind your own magic into something and have it trigger when used. A book that zapped you when opened, or..." Gesturing vaguely, she offered for Sah to keep on with the thread if the notion appealed. "Like laying a trap," she clarified. It would be a clever application, if it worked as intended.

Reaching down so Lilly could lick her fingers clean, Seren looked up when Sah's tone changed. The relaxation was good, and she listened with widening eyes as he explained the sudden inclusion into family. The kind neighbor she remembered, though the sparring partner was new.

"That's... very kind of them," she said slowly, still processing. She could only imagine Sah's confusion. "Seems a little out of the blue, but... are you alright with that?" It was her turn to study her friend, searching his gaze and posture for anything that might suggest discomfort with the idea. Something dark and slightly oily slithered through her stomach at the mention of this sparring daughter bringing him home for dinner - Seren promptly downed another sugary treat. She must be hungrier than she thought.
SEREN
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah snickered, catching onto the irony. "Oh, I'm fine talking about my basic life story. But the private and personal aspects? I keep those under lock and key. And sharing my past abilities doesn't reveal a lot about my current ones given the whole new body thing." As Seren threw out ideas for runes, Sah couldn't help the proud grin that appeared on his face. "You're spot on. That's how they were used. And also to store information." He explained.

Lilly was loving the attention from Seren. And she loved that her bonded felt warmer whenever the demigod was around. A win-win in the eyes of the young pup. Meanwhile Sah noticed Seren's appraisal, her clear concern causing that very same warm, fluttering sensation that Lilly had noted. "It's not completely sudden. I met Ilma in my first week here. She's my next door neighbor and I've seen her nearly everyday that I've been in Caido. She brought me a home cooked meal everyday  while I sorted myself out upon arriving." Sah's ears turned a little. "She's the one who's been teaching me how to be human. Even the more awkward to talk about parts of it." A small chuckle left him. "She has no tact or shame about any of it. I'd be lost without her." He explained, his voice fond.

"And Aino? I don't know her as well, but she's kind. Had the demeanor of an older sister towards me even before the whole 'adoption' thing. I'm looking forward to getting to know her better." Sah gave a small shrug. "It might not really be sudden but it does feel weird. Unexpected, that's for sure. But I think I like it. I.. I never thought I'd have a pack again. Not apart from Lilly that is." Said wolf pup gave happy yip, tail wagging as she leaned into her bonded's side. Sah gave her ears a ruffle, the adoration for her clear in his eyes. He glanced back at Seren with a small smile. "It's a lot to process, but they're not putting any pressure on me. They just made it clear that if and when I need them, I'm welcome and have a place with them."
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
"Fair enough," she laughed. Pulling a foot up under herself, Seren was a little soothed to realize that it truly was a family kind of thing he was building. Or being dragged into - same difference. Ilma sounded like a fun person to be around, while Aino was more of a mystery.

"My family is sort of complicated too, so I think I understand," she mused. "I have my dad, and his husband and their young son. And then there's my sister on mother's side, with another person, who is... sort of an uncle, I guess? He and dad are good friends. And then he has a husband too. And an ex wife. Who is soon having a child with ... someone I know." Seren bit her lip, just in time before the secret came spilling out. Not hers to tell.

It was a whole tangled mess of connections, most of which sort of made her family with people but also not quite. "It feels like strangers are being brought in from everywhere, and I don't know how to feel about it."

Smiling down at the talkative wolf cub, the girl shrugged lightly. "As long as you are happy, that's all that matters. Don't let them push you into anything you're not comfortable with, though. You can help people out and be close without making them family."
SEREN
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah listened as Seren described her famiy situation, his eyes growing steadily wider as he leaned forward to listen. "That really is complicated." Extensions upon extensions being built before her eyes, it sounded daunting. Suddenly having new family members and wanting to get along with them for the sake of your other family members. "Stressful too. I think the best you can do is take it day by day. Maybe just let whatever relationship between the newer members and you that develops, run its natural course? If they just end up being amicable with you or becoming friends, who knows? I don't think family bonds can be forced, regardless of blood or marriage binds."  He noted, brows furrowed slightly as he contemplated the concept.

Seren's continued concern made him smile. "I won't and I'll  keep that in mind." Sah gave a sudden chuckle. "Speaking of family. I actually met your dad soon after we first did. I may have been an awkward mess. Not sure if I made a great impression."
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
It was her turn to become wide eyed. Her father had been in the Greatwood along with her? It was not what she had expected, and for a moment she wondered whether he had been keeping tabs on her. But probably not... a nimbus could travel both far and fast, there was no reason why Ronin wouldn't be any particular place.
"What makes you think that?" she asked, a little tentative. Awkward... might be fine. Sah was still alive and well and seemed unharmed, so it was probably fine. It should be fine.

Reaching for the bottle, she dipped her free hand into the pocket space and rummaged for a bit, before producing two cups. Holding out one to Sah with a querying rise of a brow - did he want some? - Seren went back to the topic of family.

"I agree. So far things have been fine, there is some grumbling here and there, but people can be civil with each other. I just hate to think of what will happen when..." Hesitating, she looked up at Sah. Studied his honest, sincere face, and pressed on. It was hardly a secret anyway. "My uncles husband... Nate. He is an Ascended." Her bottom lip was starting to turn red from all the nibbling - this was not the kind of conversation she had wanted, but there they were. Talking about the difficult stuff. "And my uncle is sworn to my mother. The father of her child. It's... It can only become messy."

And the starchild did not even know the half of all that went on beneath the surface, kept from her by considerate parents.
SEREN
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah grimaced. "I uh.. my lack of experience with human customs and conversations really showed itself. As we spoke he seemed to warm to me, but I'm not sure if even he knows what to make of me. But he knows that we're friends and still let me live, so I'm assuming that I'm not in mortal peril." He chuckled slightly, giving Lilly a good scratch behind the ears. "At least I hope not."

Sah took the offered glass with a grin, but that grin turned into a look of solemn focus as Seren further explained the tension in her family. An Ascended married to the father of one of Safrin's kids? No wonder there were conflicts in the family. The war would literally tear them apart. Sah hummed, brow furrowed. "I hate that for you. Having a family divided by such harsh lines, by a war, is not something that I'd wish on anyone. If you ever need to vent or if you need help, please don't hesitate to ask." That was about all the he could do, being the Abandoned Outlander that he was. He didn't have the power or influence to do more than simply be there for her. He hoped that would be enough.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
She couldn't help the giggle that slipped from her, at the image of Sah trying and failing to explain their first encounter - all while her father's expression grew gradually more confused.
"I think you're fine," she tried to reassure, still chuckling as she poured the drink into his mug. "If dad starts murdering my friends, I'm going to have to talk to him... I have no idea what this drink is by the way, so be careful." She didn't think they would serve anything alcoholic where children could reach, but then again...

Looking up, Seren's gaze caught on the somber expression on Sah's face. It still surprised her how easily he extended his support. Even knowing he was not as strong as he had been - knowing too how dangerous it might be to become too tangled up in her troubles.

"Thank you, Sah," she murmured, color rising unbidden on her cheeks from the prolonged eyecontact. "That means a lot." Gaze darting away, she fumbled with bottle and mug and only barely managed not to spill everything over herself before it was safely deposited on the rock again. Taking a sip from her own cup, she found the beverage tart and sweet with the taste of berries, yet sparkling on the tongue. If there was something stronger in it, she could not detect it.

"What, eh... how did your packs work, back in your home?" she asked, fumbling for some other topic that might be less heavy. "Was everyone related, like our families?" Wolf customs felt like a safe thing. Distant, at least for her.
SEREN
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah gave a small chuckle at the idea of Seren protesting at Ronin attacking him. He really hoped that that never happened.  He gave Seren a small smile at her fumbling. "You're welcome." He stated simply, trying not to laugh at how flustered she currently was. Taking his offered glass, Sah took a sip, wincing slightly as the movement aggravated the injury on his hand. That weird paper in Torchline had bit him hard, and although bandaged and healing, it still ached a bit.

The question into his pack's dynamics wasn't unexpected, but it did bring a melancholy look to his face. "Somewhat. Our pack did have the basic structure of Caido's wolves. That it was a family unit often led by the parents or grandparents. But our kind had massive extended families and often took in orphans. So my pack had my aunts, uncles, parents, cousins, etc. But there were also members not related by blood, and their families. Our pack was over 30 strong." He gave a small sigh, his smile wistful. "My mom was the Alpha before me. The title only ever belonged to one individual. Upon her death...I took over."Sah took a sip of his drink, composing himself. "So in short, yes they were family. By blood, marriage, adoption, and choice. And everything in-between."
Sah