a few of my favorite things
For Seren <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

It's so easy to spot Seren among the crowd. The Madame would know the dark haired demigod anywhere. She checks to make sure that Locke and Paige are good for the time being, smiling to herself as she watches him wrangle with the young girl, getting a good hold on her as they approach one of the stalls. Maeve slips away, trailing after the starchild, tip toeing through the grass with a devious smile curling on her lips. It only takes her moments to catch up, springing forward and looping her arms around the other girl, covering her eyes with her hands. "Devine qui?" Maeve coos in her ear, giggling despite herself, fully preparing to pull the girl into a hug when she turns around.

They've both been so busy and Maeve has a lot to tell her. Hopefully the girl would have some time to spare. Even if there were plenty other things and people to see. She just hopes that she makes the list.
And I was catching my breath
Staring out an open window
catching my death
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Glitter in the sky, glitter in my eye, shining just the way I like
"Divine... quishe? Now you made me want to eat pie."

There was only one person who spoke like that, and who would approach her so easily. Smiling widely, Seren reached up and pulled the smooth, fragrant hands from her eyes and turned to squeeze Maeve into a tight hug. More than happy to see her friend here.

"Hi Maeve! It's good to see you again. Did you come on the boat?" She had seen the large ship anchored by the river as she came rushing in, dangling from Umbra's claws. Traveling by ship sounded so much more relaxing in comparison, if perhaps not nearly as fun.

Reaching for a small tart from a table just behind the Madame's back, Seren withdrew and took a big bite of the treat. The taste of fruit and cream and crunchy crust exloded in her mouth; it was divine. Generously she held it out for her friend, in case Maeve wanted a bite too.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

"Good thing there is probably pie to find around here."

Her laughter grew and she easily wrapped her arms around Seren, hugging her close with a hum, pressing a quick kiss to her cheek. "Mhmmm. I came with Locke and Paige." She motioned towards her two travelling partners, smiling as she turned to look back at the other girl, taking her hands in hers and giving them a little squeeze. Maeve released her so she might grab the tart she was going for on the table behind her, eyes lighting up at the sight of the confectionary, licking her lips in anticipation.

Maeve wrapped her fingers around her friend's wrist, steadying her hand so she might take a bite, groaning at the taste. "Oh that's wonderful. I bet we could make Locke make something like it." She mused, releasing her to wipe at the crumbs sticking to her bottom lip, "How did you get here?"
catching my death
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Mouth full of sweets, it took a while before Seren was able to make more than humming sounds.
"Locke's here too? Perfect, this time he will not get away without talking to me." Her smile was grimly determined; the man had promised to show her something, and Seren really wanted to know what it was. "Who is Paige?" The name was one she had never heard - maybe it was one of Maeve's girls?

The question made Seren grin widely. Biting off a piece of crust, she purposely dragged out the answer by chewing slowly, so that Maeve would have to wait in suspense for the answer.
"I flew," she delivered casually once she decided to stop being dramatic. The lofty, superior look only lasted for a few moments, before it fractured into silver laughter. "Actually, Umbra flew. I just dangled from his claws and tried to keep from knocking into trees along the way." It must have looked ridiculous.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Huffing a laugh at her friend's sudden determination, Maeve shook her head, turning to pluck a tart for herself off of the table behind them. "He wants to see you too. Believe me. He's been talking about it." Ever since he sent the letter and hadn't heard anything back. The newly attuned was getting restless. If it wasn't for the fact that Maeve had seen her not that long ago, he likely would have gone looking for her, but as it was the Madame had soothed his worries. "Paige is the daughter of one of my girls, Elaine. She's been helping so much with rebuilding I offered to give her a bit of a break." She explained, not wanting Seren to think that she just plucked a random kid from the street, but knowing Locke, it wouldn't be that ridiculous to imagine.

Her brow arched in disbelief, waiting for the charade to crack and for Seren to deliver the truth. Luckily, she didn't have to wait long. Maeve rolled her eyes at her friend, pushing playfully at her shoulder, "Trying to make it sound cooler than it is. He's gotten that big then? Impressive. Aidon is growing by the day too."
catching my death
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"I was going to reply to his letter, but then I figured I would just turn up and surprise him," Seren lamented. "I hope he hasn't been waiting too much." Reaching for another pastry - this one seemed to have a cherry theme, confirmed as she bit through the golden crust - she chewed thoughtfully and hummed in response to the news about the girl.

"Oh, I see. That's really nice of you, to take her. Are you practicing?" Nudging her friend playfully, the idea of kidnapping children never even occurred to her. "Having a baby dragon is not challenge enough, eh? I see what this is, mhm." Grinning, Seren steeled herself for more shoves, teasing or otherwise.
Seren
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"I think he's had some other things to distract him." Maeve mused, knowing of his newly acquired shift and visit to Frey, but not daring to ruin the surprise. Locke would be rather upset if he didn't get to show the starchild himself just what he could do now. Following her queue, Maeve grabbed another tart of her own, eyeing the blue pastry cream curiously before taking a bite. It wasn't a familiar flavor, but that by no means meant it was a bad one and she hummed at the taste, licking her lips to catch a few stray crumbs. She was mid swallow when Seren made her jest, making her cough, brows knitting together.

It was a moment longer before the Madame could manage to speak, "Practicing? Gods no. At least, not for any plans in the near future." A child would only complicate things right now. Not just the war, but the newness of their relationship. Not that Locke wouldn't make a good dad. Even as she glanced over her shoulder to watch him with Paige now it was clear that he had that part under control, but now wasn't the time for it. "Aidon would take offence to that. He is perfectly behaved. Apparently, he knows how to play hopscotch. Odd little thing." Maeve huffed with a soft laugh, thinking fondly of her bonded who had undoubtedly found Umbra by now should the dragon be here.
catching my death
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren laughed and rubbed Maeve's back as the woman coughed, clearly taken aback by the suggestion.  "Never say never," she said cheerfully. "I think it would be a great idea, but that's me." She finished off her pastry in two more bites, and looked around for something to drink.

Seeing a nearby stash of glasses and bottles, the girl hooked arms with Maeve and dragged her over. As she handed her friend a glass, she made a wry grimace at Aidon's amicable nature. "I'd take hopscotch over the stunts Umbra has been pulling lately," she muttered. "I met a new friend before I came across you in the Grounds, and for no reason at all he just decided I was not allowed to be near them. He acted downright aggressive, and nothing I said seemed to even get through."

It was a point of worry, to be sure. With how big her dragon was becoming, she simply could not have him go rogue on strangers like that. Not to mention his attitude towards Melita's companion. "One day he is going to land us in more trouble than I can talk us out of." Disgruntled, Seren downed the contents of her glass in one draught.
Seren
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Her brows raised, head cocking to the side as she regarded her friend curiously, "You do?" She asked softly, clearly surprised by her words even as the thought takes root in her head, hazel eyed babies with dark curls and faint freckles. Maeve drew her bottom lip between her teeth, trying desperately to fight the smile that threatened to spread on her lips, "Do you think we'd truly be a good fit for it? Him and I?" The Madame hadn't dared to hope, knowing better than to get lost in her own fantasies when they only led to disappointment and heartbreak, but would it be so bad to entertain this for a moment?

She's pulled from her thoughts literally and figuratively as Seren suddenly tugged her towards another table with some unknown drink being served. A glass is pushed into her hand and she's all too happy to drink the sweet, fizzy liquid despite not knowing what it is. "Oh? That's rather strange... I know he's protective, but he didn't act that way towards me. I wonder what set him so on edge..." Perhaps the dragon had sensed something that Seren hadn't? It was his job to keep her safe and bonded took that very seriously. While Maeve couldn't be sure, it was hard to imagine that the dragon was just aggressive for no real reason. "Maybe your father can help you with some training to better communicate with him?"

Maeve hummed thoughtfully, brows knitting together, "That is a reason for concern. I can say that much. I certainly hope you can figure it out." She grabbed another glass, setting her empty one back onto the table, focusing on her friend once more. "What have you been up to besides that? Did you finally go to see your mother?"
catching my death
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Refilling her glass, Seren shrugged. "Yeah, why wouldn't you be? I mean, I haven't seen you two together, but both of you are good people. If it's something you want, of course you'd be a good fit." In her limited experience, all it should take to be parents was patience and a lot of good will.

She chewed at the edge of her cup, frowning at something only she was able to see and hummed in grudging agreement. "I'd rather not get dad involved if I don't absolutely have to," she admitted. "It would be embarrassing. I think... what we really need is some time just for me and Umbra. To really sort out the reasons why he's doing this, without distractions." Perhaps training or patrol duties back home in Stormbreak would do the trick.

Mention of her mother pulled Seren out of the glum brooding, and she broke out in a brilliant smile. "Yeah! She loved the potpurri you helped make, so thank you for that idea. I got everything I wanted... and more.." Blue eyes glittered mischievosly in the fading light, reflecting the flickering torch light in a way that was hardly reassuring. Especially not when paired with a grin that was a little sharp-toothed and rather hungry looking.

The whole expression spoke of trouble.
Seren
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Oh if Seren only knew how much Maeve craved a family of her own. Children, a partner, and a home. How she had confessed these desires to Safrin the first time she met her and how the goddess was sure that she could so easily find that for herself if she wished. While she could likely have a child with any number of people given her profession, Maeve wanted more than just that. She wanted it all. It wasn't until recently that she thought she might be able to have it. "Maybe... It would be difficult, but maybe..." She finally agreed softly, unaware of the way her hand drifted down to her flat belly, resting there for a moment before coming back up to hold her glass.

"As a last resort, of course. He might have some insight is all. Maybe even some of the other dragoons." The Madame offered as an alternative, smiling reassuringly at the younger girl even as she listened. "I think that would be a good idea. It's taken time for Aidon to understand that not everyone is someone I need to be protected from. Perhaps Umbra is just taking his job a bit too seriously." Or the dragon just had a smaller threshold for what he considered appropriate. Still, it wouldn't do for him to not listen to Seren.

The news of Seren's visit and the fact that Safrin liked the offering she helped to prepare had her own smile brightening, "Really? Oh, I'm so glad to hear that. I went to see her too, but you tell me of your visit first." She encouraged, stealing a bottle from the table and urging her towards a more secluded spot so that they might sit and catch up away from the din of the party. Maeve knew Seren well enough to realize that the look she was giving her absolutely spelled trouble, "And what exactly did you get, little star?"
catching my death
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
It was reassuring that at least someone knew of her trouble with Umbra. It made the whole situation easier to bear, not to mention that it offered Seren enough peace of mind to set the matter aside. While Maeve said almost the same things as Harper had, it did not change what she had to do - and that was not something she could accomplish tonight.

So Seren happily launched into explaining the last visit with her mother, excitement rising within as her friend seemed suitably interested.
"Well, I had asked for a way to travel more swiftly, so that I can avoid the Voice's portals. Since they do nasty things to those who step through them too often. And she showed me how to open pathways to different regions, from my Island. I can go practically anywhere now." The sense of freedom it offered was indescribable, but shone like relief in the girl's eyes all the same.

"And," Seren added, her grin turning almost feral, "when I worried about being unable to protect my friends, Mother told me to go and prove myself. I have plenty of interesting fights ahead of me, and I look forward to it."

It was so easy to mistake Seren for someone who was only kind and sweet and compassionate. Only rarely did her fiercer side shine through, but this was absolutely one of those times. Bristling with energy, raring for a fight - to test her limits and see what she was made of.

Only with some difficulty did she keep from sloshing drinks over herself in the excitement. "How did your visit go?" she asked, as she turned her attention back on Maeve.
Seren
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve's eyes widened as she took a sip of her drink, listening closely to what the starchild had to say of her visit with her mother, feeling the excitement rolling off of her in waves. "You have your own portals now? Well, aren't you just moving up in the world! That's wonderful. No more having to ask dad for a ride." The Madame teased, giving her a playful wink as she toed off her shoes, flexing her toes with a sigh as she lounged in the grass and wildflowers that grew around them. She never underestimated Seren. Not for a single moment. She was probably one of the few who acknowledged the girl's full potential. Who so easily told her to chase everything her heart desired.

This news didn't come as a surprise to her and Maeve was eager to see what the girl might get up to in the coming seasons. "Prove yourself, hm? I suppose you'll just have to find some trouble then or make it yourself." Maeve laughed softly, taking another sip from her drink before drawing quiet at the question, considering her own meeting with Seren's mother. It had gone well. As well as it could have gone. There was potential for their conversation to lead to something bigger, but all Maeve could do was wait.

"She liked the perfume, I think." The Madame began, eyes distant as she recalled the conversation, "We talked a lot... I told her that I was worried about Sunjata and Torchline." She was sure to keep her voice down, not wanting anyone to overhear what she had to say, knowing how quickly gossip like this spread, how harmful it could be. "He and I had a... disagreement after he got back. I'm worried about him and told him as much. He didn't take it well. He's in a bad way, Seren." There was a sadness to her voice, concern clear on her features as she met the starchild's gaze, taking a breath to continue. "I told her my concerns. How I was worried that Nate might be swaying him further away, how paranoid he's become, how his personal life is bleeding into the work he should be doing for Torchline. She said she would talk to him, but also asked me who I thought would be a good fit if he were to step down."

At this she drew her bottom lip between her teeth, brows knitting together as her fingers ran absentmindedly across her glass, "I told her that I wasn't sure, but that I wanted to help. That seemed to make her happy... I'm not sure if anything will come of it, but I think she's going to make him have Nate step down." It made sense to her that Safrin would make that happen. She had been right in her concerns, pointing out how the Voice could use this to take control, how much damage she could cause. The very thought made her stomach turn violently, "We talked about the Voice too. How dangerous it was to have Nate in a position of power because that essentially meant the Voice was in power too. I didn't realize how dangerous she was. How dangerous all of it was."

Maeve grew quiet for a moment, teeth worrying her bottom lip as she found herself lost in thought, still unsure of what it all meant. A minute or so passed before she blinked, focusing back on her friend with a small smile, "She made me something... So I can get to someone who needs me in seconds. All they have to do is hold it and think of me. Then I'll be there. It's a pair, though. I'm not sure who I'm going to give the other one to."
catching my death
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Almost immediately,  Maeve's recounting of the meeting with Safrin had Seren's smile fade. With Sunjata's name brought up, and Nate's, and the matter of their governing the land of her birth suddenly put into question, it would perhaps be stranger to see her continually cheerful.

"I... that, is a lot to take in," she murmured eventually, when Maeve quieted. Bringing the refilled cup to her lips, Seren sipped, gut heavy with unease. It seemed that ever since the fire, things were only getting worse in Torchline. Or possibly, the incident served to highlight flaws and issues that had always been there.

"What are you going to do?" she asked, giving herfriend a long look. "With... everything?" One person to offer aid. One region to... aid? Overtake? Seren did not envy her this dilemma.
Seren