walking a tightrope with you
For Locke <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

It's finally finished. Her home was rebuilt and they were going to be opening soon. The girls were starting to move into their new quarters, settling in and getting familiar with the new building that she lovingly made for them. She's yet to tell Locke the news of it all. How they finished it up, her talk with Safrin, and everything in between. There was so much and she's excited to see him just so they can catch up. He's been off most of the day, out and about figuring out things with his new shift, which is perfect for her. That means she has time to prepare.

The Madame isn't a good cook by any means, but she's picked up a few things in their time living together and she's put them to use now. She's spent most of the day cooking, putting together a whole meal for them to share complete with drinks and candles and everything. Maeve finishes setting the table, arranging the flowers carefully in the vase and lighting the candles, windows open to let in a gentle breeze while giving her the perfect view of the setting sun. She takes a breath, smiling to herself before heading into the backroom, dressing in a simple floral dress and touching up her makeup. The final touch is the necklace he gave her so long ago. Her fingers trail over it lightly as she smiles at her reflection, taking a steadying breath, anticipation swirling in her belly. He should be home any minute.
Babe, there's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this
Oh what a sin
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
LOCKE

He has been out most of the day, returning favors for the things he needed for the Halenani, figuring out his shifts. You know, the usual things he does now. But the sun is starting to set and he should go home. He's kind of excited about it, he's always excited to go home to Maeve. It's strange, how in a season, someone can so fully insert themselves into your life. Especially his', with how touch and go he is about things.

Locke isn't expecting a set table or dinner to be ready. His heart flutters in his chest when he sees her. She's got that necklace on, the one he gave her when he fucked everything up the first time. He doesn't think about it too hard, making his way over to her. The man slips his arms around her waist, pulling her into a hug and pressing a kiss to the side of her neck. "Mm, since when did you know how to make dinner?" He's teasing of course, pressing another kiss to her jaw before pulling away.

"What's all this for? Didn't forget your birthday, did I?" He's not sure he knows her birthday actually. Whoops.
I wanna make up my mind
But I don't know myself
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Maeve giggles, leaning into his embrace as she lets her arms wrap around his neck, turning to face him with a bright smile. "I've picked up a few things. I wanted to surprise you." She hums, pressing up onto her tiptoes so she can give him a proper kiss before she lets him draw back, turning to the little stove and stirring a fragrant smelling concoction that's full of meat and vegetables, a pot of rice set to the side. "I just thought it would be nice to have a dinner together. We've both been working hard on different things and I just wanted us to have a little bit of time together." Especially since she'll be moving back to the Halenani in the coming days. With work starting up again and having to manage the brothel properly she won't have as much free time as she did before.

"Here... Taste." Carefully she dips the wooden spoon into the curry, bringing it up to his lips so he can properly taste it, but she's excited to see what he thinks. Personally, she thought she did a pretty good job. It's a little less spicy than the one he makes, but it's still really pretty tasty without the extra heat. Her brows lift, bottom lip caught between her teeth as she waits patiently for his verdict, bouncing lightly on her toes. "Well? Good, right?"
Oh what a sin
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
LOCKE

He hums softly, grinning into the kiss before she pulls away. "Did you now? Must be a better teacher than I thought." He follows after her, because of course he does. Watching her cook does something for him he can't quite explain. Has anyone ever cooked a meal for him? Like just for him? It smells good too. "Yeah. Been busy lately." Admittedly he could be around more but he doesn't want to bother her so he's been trying to make space for her. It's a fine line to walk.

Locke leans forward to sip the offered stew. A moment as he thinks before he nods, "Not bad, Ansel. Might make a proper chef out of you yet." As if he knows anything about proper chefs or how to be one. He gives her a little grin before stepping back. "So this is just kinda a little special dinner?" He's skeptical, kind of. They've never even had a proper date so maybe it feels a little odd to him. That's not her fault or his though, it's just the way the deck has been dealt.
I wanna make up my mind
But I don't know myself
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It's the first real meal she's cooked too. The one pancake she flipped and got stuck on Ronin's ceiling doesn't count at all. This though? This was all her and it was made special just for him. He's done so much to help her in the last season and she just wanted to do something special for him in return. It's a small thing and in no way compares to all he's done, but it's a start. "We have been. Which is why I wanted to do this." She hums, watching as he takes a bite of the curry, eyes bright as she waits for his verdict. Her smile grows, bouncing a little on the balls of her feet excitedly, doing a little dance. "See! I told you it was good!" Maeve declairs, placing the spoon back into the pot, covering it with the lid so the heat doesn't escape after she kills the flame.

His skepticism causes her to arch a brow, glancing back at him over her shoulder, "Yeah. I just thought it would be nice." They haven't had a proper dinner date before. Not if you don't count all the dinners they shared down on the beach. Those were nice, but they weren't anything like this. So formal and set with intention. "If you want to go and clean up we can eat afterwards. I'm sure you want to wash the day off." Maeve hums, turning to face him properly, wiping her hands with a cloth as she leans lightly against the counter.
Oh what a sin
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

She's so excited and it's very cute. Her excitement earns her a little chuckle and he shakes his head. "I knew you had it in you." He takes another taste just to be sure before reaching over to grab the salt and holding it out to her. "A little more, you can figure it out though. I trust your judgement." He mostly wants to see what she'll do.

"Well, thank you. It smells really good." His fingers trail across her arm as he moves past her to make himself a glass of water, chugging it as she talks. Locke sighs softly, nodding. "Yeah. M'sweaty and you're over here dressed all nice." Maybe he shouldn't have hugged her, oops. He starts to leave but stops, turning to look at her for a second before smacking her ass with a grin and darting off into the bathroom.

He strips down and steps into the shower. He doesn't plan to be in there for very long but it's hot in Torchline and he feels sticky. When he gets out, he's got a loose white tunic and the matching white pants. He doesn't wear them often but it's one of his nicer outfits. Plus, it's cooler, especially with the breeze coming off of the ocean. Locke finds his way to Maeve again. "You look nice.. I meant to say it earlier."
I wanna make up my mind
But I don't know myself
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

He holds the salt out to her and she purses her lips, deflating just a little bit, but takes the salt and adds a couple of shakes before giving it a good stir. She gives it another taste, humming softly, "I think it's good now." Maeve says with a decisive nod, placing the salt back onto the counter, covering the curry once more.

Goosebumps rise in the wake of his touch and her belly flips, an excited fluttering stirring there, eyes tracking him across the small kitchen as he gets himself a glass of water. She watches him drink deeply from the glass, noting the way his throat bobs and she swallows in turn, cheeks flushing as she follows a drip of water down from the corner of his mouth. Maeve blinks, focusing on him as she hufs out a soft laugh, "All nice? I didn't think I was dressed nicer than usual." She teases, drawing her bottom lip between her teeth, peeking up at him from beneath her lashes. Maeve turns her attention to the table, intent on starting to dish their food up, but a smack to her ass makes her jump and she sends a playful glare over her shoulder at him as he retreats.

By the time he comes back, the food is served and drinks have been poured, waiting for them to sit down and enjoy. Maeve turns back to him, smiling softly as she holds a hand out to him, drawing him close, "Thank you. You don't look too shabby yourself, mon amour. Who knew you could clean up so good." She teases, drawing him in for another kiss, "Let's eat before it gets cold." Maeve murmurs, pulling away from him to take a seat at the table instead, placing her napkin in her lap.
Oh what a sin
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

Locke grins against her lips, lingering for a moment before he pulls away from her. "I don't usually clean up so you know." Just for her. Always just for her. He waits for her to sit before sitting down across from her. Another little grin as he leans down to take a bite of his food, humming softly. "S'really good." Maybe it's just him but he's feeling antsy. He hadn't noticed it before but his eyes keep falling on the necklace and it reminds him of too many things. Has she ever worn it since they've gotten together? He's not sure. He's pretty sure she lost it the Halenani..

He leans on one hand as he eats, trying to curb the urge to wolf it down. He didn't realize how hungry he was until he started eating. Plus, it really is good. "Added just the right amount of salt, by the way. Knew you'd figure it out." She was a quick learner. Probably why she'd taken over the brothel at such a young age. He licks his lips slowly, looking at her for a moment before taking another bite. "So what have you been up too?"
I know I was born and I know that I'll die
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It was very true. Most of the time he was wearing the bare minimum. Not that it mattered to her. The Torchline heat was intense even out of Longheat. She couldn't blame him for not wanting to wear so many layers with the way everything seems to cling this time of year. Maeve hums, a smirk curling onto her lips, "Well you look really nice. I like it." She reassures him before taking a seat, picking up her fork and digging in, bringing a small bite up to her mouth. It is really good. The meat perfectly tender, the spice level just right, and it isn't too salty. The rice is a little mushy, but that's about the worst there is to say about it. Maeve offers him a bright smile, cheeks flushing at the compliment, "I'm glad you like it. I was worried it wouldn't turn out, but I think I managed well enough." She murmurs, taking another bite and chewing slowly, savoring the flavor on her tongue.

Maeve catches his eyes dipping down again and again. At first she thinks he's looking at her cleavage despite that there isn't much on display, but then she realizes he's staring at her necklace. Her fingers lift to brush against it, suddenly worried he doesn't like seeing it anymore, "I don't think I told you that Seren found it when we were cleaning up... I've been saving it to wear for you as a surprise." She comments softly, glancing up at him from beneath her lashes, gathering another bite onto her fork.

There is a sudden heaviness in the air, both of them looking at each other between bites, trying to figure out how to fill the silence. When is the last time they had a moment to sit and talk without it being after a crisis? She honestly can't remember at this point. "A lot. I've been preparing to re-open, of course. Then there was the questioning with both Jata and Aurelia about the fires. I also went to see Safrin. I finally turned in my quest." Maeve begins, chewing on her bottom lip, stomach tightening with her nerves as she meets his gaze. She gently wipes her mouth before reaching into her pocket, withdrawing the other pendant, cradling it in her palm. "I wanted to give this to you... All you have to do is hold it and think of me and I'll be with you in moments." Maeve explains, extending the pendant out to him. It's made of clear glass, delicate curves holding a sprig of fresh lavender that will never lose its color, a chain of silver attached to it so it can be worn around his neck if he wishes.
Oh what a sin
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

He winks at her as he takes another bite, leaning on his hand as she talks. "Well I'm going to expect more dinners now." He's joking, kind of. He has a feeling it won't happen. She's so busy already and the Halenani isn't even open. What are they gonna do when it is? He doesn't want to think about it really.

Hazel eyes flick down again, watching her fingers trail along the necklace. "Oh yeah. I'm surprised she did. Looks good on you though." The corner of his mouth quirks up but there's a flatness to his tone. It's not that he doesn't like the necklace of course. It's just.. Well, he still feels like shit about all of that, even if she's forgiven him. But maybe she hasn't. He wouldn't blame her.

Locke's head tilts to one side, mid bite but not finishing it. "They questioned you?" He's not sure how to feel about it. No one has asked him anything. He talked to Nate a little bit but he wasn't questioned. If Maeve was an innocent bystander as he had assumed, why would she be questioned by both of them? He licks his lips, finally finishing his bite. A mention of Safrin and she's holding a necklace out to him.

He looks at it and then back at her. In theory he understands that there will be times they're apart, they were today. But he scrutinizes it for a moment before taking it. He runs his thumb over the smooth glass. "Why me?" It's a more loaded question than it seems, really.
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Her smile grows and she huffs a soft laugh, shaking her head at him, "I can definitely try. My dinners will be later than they are now once I start working again, but we can still eat together." Maeve hasn't told him yet that she's planning on moving back now that it's rebuilt. She wants him to come with her. There is plenty of room. Her apartment is much bigger than it was before, but she wasn't sure if he'd actually move in with her there. His home was nice and she loved how close to the beach it was, but she needed to be there with her girls.

Maeve drops her fingers from the necklace, bottom lip catching between her teeth at the tone of his voice, noting the way it dips into something almost cold. Does he not like it? Was he upset to see her in it? Maybe the memories surrounding it were still hard for him. Part of her thinks that the storm washed all of that away. The necklace might have been given to her on a night that fell apart for them, but it was the reason they were here now. That meant something to her. "I thought it was gone forever. I'm glad it isn't... I know that night didn't end well, but we ended up here still. That's all that really matters to me."

She takes another bite of her food, chewing slowly as she nods, taking a sip of water to wash down the bite. "Aurelia did formally. Just to get my account of that night. Then I talked to Jata about it. Much of the same thing. I'm one of the few people who saw Aurelia get attacked and was able to confirm that it was lightening." Maeve explains, not thinking too much of it, knowing that it was really just a formality at this point. She was an innocent bystander in it all, just as Locke was aware of, but she was still a witness.

The conversation shifts to her visit with Safrin and the necklace, her hand extending to offer it to him, breath catching as she waits. He looks between her and the pendant, not moving for a bit, leaving her to awkwardly hold it out. Her cheeks flush as he finally takes it from her, voicing his question and she licks her lips, glancing down at her plate. "Well... Things are going to start changing soon and I- I wanted to be able to get to you if you ever needed me. I love you, Locke. I don't ever want you to be somewhere without me if you needed me." Maeve murmurs, reaching up to tuck a stray curl behind her ear, daring to look up at him as her stomach twists nervously.
Oh what a sin
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

He nods, licking his lips slowly. She has to go back, he knows that. Even as much as he wants to keep her here and lounge in the sun and cook and make babies and just bask in each other, the real world still exists. She'll go back and continue to take clients, he'll likely go back to what he was doing before. Maybe they'll drift apart again. Fucking when it's fun but nothing else really. That's how it was the first time. "Sounds good to me."

Another smile, this one softer but at least it's real this time. He's trying to get over it, over himself. But it's a slow process. At least she's being patient with him. Not that she really knows what's going on but it's fine. He takes another bite, humming softly. "I'm glad she found it then." He means it too. It might have been a shitty day but they wouldn't be here without, not really.

"Makes sense then, I guess. I talked with Nate, a little, about the Wren Society but nothing else. I don't think they know who did it yet." He mimics her, taking a drink himself before wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. There's a little sauce there so he carefully licks it off. It's a mess really. "How was Sunjata? He was so quiet at the jailhouse.. And Nate seemed.. Nervous?" Not that Locke knew him all that well but still. He could tell something was off even if he wasn't sure what. And it's easier to focus on that than the lingering anger around the whole Sunjata thing.

He looks back at the little pendant before looking at her, nodding softly. "I wonder how much things are going to be changing.." It's cool and light in his hand as he presses his lips against it before tucking it away. "Love you too. Wish I had something I could give you." Besides a necklace tied to their fucked up past.
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

His words don't match the look in his eyes. Maeve can see the gears turning, the way he focuses hard on his thoughts before he speaks, a tightness in his shoulders that speaks to unease. She knew it was going to be hard going back. That it would be an adjustment, but just because she was going to be working again doesn't mean that they have to stop what they have. That's the last thing she wants. "I thought that some nights we could eat here and other nights there... My apartment is bigger this time. I made sure to have a full kitchen." Maeve murmurs, hoping it's enough that he'll start to catch on that this isn't ending, that they aren't changing.

The smile he offers up actually brings a soft light to his eyes, spreading warmth through her chest and allowing her to relax slightly, releasing a tension in her shoulders she didn't realize she was holding. "Me too." She returns his smile, leaving it at that as she focuses back on her meal, managing a few more bites before he's asking about Sunjata, sharing his thoughts on Nate and how he only talked to the man a little bit about everything.

A breath pushes past her lips and she shakes her head, "He's not good. It's bad. I'm worried about him. I've never seen him this paranoid or quick to snap. If he doesn't let someone help him he's going to fall apart." Maeve can't help the worry that builds in her chest, brows drawing together as she recalls their conversation, how they both blew up with the stress of it all. "They believe it to be Hotaru too. I told him I didn't think that was possible or that she would attack it with my workers inside, but I'm not sure he believes me." A breath pushes past her lips, shoulders slumping a touch, "Either way, the last I heard they were holding her for everything." It was all a fucking mess.

"I don't know... Some people don't think it'll affect those like me and others seem to think no one is safe. I don't know where we're going to fall, but I want us to be able to be together if something does happen." She reiterates, relief settling in her belly and untangling the knots there as he presses the pendant to his lips and tucks it away safely. At least they have this now. At least they won't be unable to get to each other should they need to. Maeve isn't sure where things will take them, but the idea of not being able to reach him at all makes her sick in a way she's never felt before. "Don't have to give me anything, mon amour. You're more than enough for me."
Oh what a sin
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

His mouth twitches but he catches himself before his expression can change much. There it is. The half admission that she means it. He kind of shrugs, looking down at his food instead of her. It takes him a minute to think of what to say. The words are on the tip of his tongue but they don't come easily anyway. "Yeah? Could try, I guess." It's not even really the thought of drifting apart that scares him, or the thought of her sleeping with other people casually. It's the thought of her being away from him. How is he supposed to sleep at night if she's not there? He doesn't say anything else, not for the moment.

Of course she's worried about him. "Not everyone needs help. He needs time." There's an understated your help under there but he's not going to say it. Sunjata has a husband and a god who can help him. Why would he need Maeve? Except Maeve is too quick to help. It's going to get her hurt one day, it already has. He's biting the corner of his lip and he hasn't noticed, not until the faint taste of iron fills his mouth. He brings one hand up, leaning on it so Maeve doesn't notice. It hurts but it's fine. "And why wouldn't she attack it with your people inside?" It's almost accusatory but not quite. He doesn't think it was Hotaru, he didn't see her there and if he's understanding the timeline right, it doesn't make sense. Unless she can teleport that is. "I guess that's understandable. Holding her. Don't want other places being burnt down, do we?"

He takes a shaky breath, nodding slowly. "Too bad there's no way for me to get to you, if something where to happen. Doesn't sound like these work both ways." There's that tightness in his chest again and he gives her the barest smile. Everything is just so stressful and he hates it. He was handed a clock that's going to alarm but all the faces have been removed so he has no idea when. "I don't think I'm getting away from the shit. I think I've messed up already." He says it with a sigh, shaking his head. His food is already forgotten about but it's fine. He'll eat it later or something.
I wanna make up my mind
But I don't know myself