so that we may grow
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Nephele
the world will not be destroyed
by those who do evil
She is not here.

It is evident even from a distance. The aura, the life force that had once belonged in the grand structure of the tree, it is missing. Leaving what feels - to Nephele, to all the Fae - like a carcass, desecrated and strung up in mockery of what it used to be. Not even the decency of seeming like a grave or a shrine. Only a gaping wound that cannot close until she is returned.

Nephele desperately wanted to be part of the group that went to find her, but she knows that even with Ludo's gifts she is too weak for such efforts. Instead, she intends to finish the quest it had given her, and make herself stronger. For the future.

Her wings carry her nearly soundlessly as she descends through the branches overhead, her fingertips gently tracing the tips of the Mathair's limbs as she goes. Once her feet are upon the forest floor once more, Nephele looks up at the giant tree, and considers anew the question she has agonized over for days - how to harvest a branch in a respectful manner. Hands on her hips, cloaked in Ludo's impossibly dark rags, Nephele considers the branches in immediate view. Perhaps one already wounded? So that it can be removed and new growth can occur, like pruning?
but by those who watch
without doing anything
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 10 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 49 - Endr: 51 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
NOAH
An epidemic of the mannequins
Contaminating everything
We thought came from the heart
The lynx was not entirely sure where exactly he was. He moved carefully because of this. His head was low, ears perked and listening carefully. He had no eyes in the sky this day, having left Eira at home. He was on what he hoped would be a short mission, just scouting for the guild. Already he had taken plenty of notes and his head was full of images he would need to sketch later on.

Despite his paws being massive snow-shoe type paws, the lynx still held the classic trait of his fellow felines in that he was able to move almost soundlessly across the forest floor. The movement caught his eye and he crouched down quickly, hidden behind bush and bramble. the woman fluttered by, and Noah lifted his head just so. She was covered in dark, flowy rags. The hunter's heart sputtered within his chest -- the only creature he knew to wear such attire was the herald of death himself.

He had to follow.

The lynx trotted behind the herald, reaching out across the bond to ask them to stop, to wait for him, to--but he only met silence. Frustration and curiosity mixed within him and, though cautiously, he approached.

It never did right from the start
Just listen to the noises
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Nephele
by those who do evil
Silence indeed is all he will receive. Nephele is not of the common age to have obtained animalistic shapes and the bonds that come alongside them. The presence of the lynx does not go unnoticed entirely, but Nephele's attention slides past easily, at home with the notion of wild animals existing in her immediate surroundings as they have every day of her long life. Only when the lynx approaches boldly does the Fae turn, luminous hazel eyes descending to the creature. The rags flow about her like water as she turns and gracefully squats to be more on the cat's level.

"Hello, noble friend. Are you hunting today?" Her hand travels beneath the rags to her hip pouch and the dried meats within it. Deft fingers pluck a strip and toss it gently to the grass between them in offering, unaware of the man that lingers behind slitted eyes. "Stay safe and away from our Grandmother, small one. I must harvest one of her branches." Nephele would hate to accidentally harm the creature, and hopefully the food is what it seeks, and it will venture back off into the forest.
but by those who watch
without doing anything
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
NOAH
I can't wait for this no more,
My eyes have come undone
As the silence grew between them, Noah took a step back. It was not enough, however. He had already approached enough to catch her attention, and as she turned towards him he knew that she was not the herald he thought her to be. the lynx's eyes narrowed suspiciously as she spoke to him and offered the dried meats, but he did not move another muscle. If curiosity had killed, and it was true that the attuned shifts were always present somewhere in an attuned's soul, then Noah surely was a cat.

His blue eyes shifted momentarily towards the tree before he took a few steps back, the dried meats uneaten. The hunter shifted easily back to the form of man, crouched on one tree and at eye level with the fae before him. "Perhaps I could be of assistance." His voice was smooth as it rumbled out behind lips caged by beard.

If my star will ever rise,
Let it be the only one
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Nephele
by those who do evil
Nephele cocks her head as the lynx backs away, not entirely surprised. Most wild animals would do the same even at the gentlest toss, but usually they would investigate the food at bare minimum. When it continues to slink backwards she merely reclaims the meat, brushing it free of any minor clinging debris to put back in her bag. Only to startle when out of the corner of her eye, a man takes the place of the lynx. Shrinking back a little herself, wings flaring, Nephele lets her chakrams drop from her elbow to her hands defensively for a moment, heart rabbiting in her breast as hawk-amber eyes unblinkingly settle on the man.

Some Fae do have animal shifts, but usually they are elders, and don't conceal themselves this way. The man's rumbling voice eases her slightly, tucking her weapons back up into her long sleeves. Delicate wings slowly ease back down to lay flat against her spine, and she releases a slow breath to expel any momentary fear she'd felt. Only her talk with Remi keeps her from snapping at the man for his offer, protective of the desecrated tree after it was destroyed by the Ascended. "I would...appreciate the help," she softly replies, still a little stilted from being startled. "Are you one of the humans Remi has recruited to move here?" Light feet carry her toward him, hovering at the edge of his physical range like a leery cat.
but by those who watch
without doing anything
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH
My eyes have come undone
Noah did not move as the woman reacted to his shifting. He merely lifted his hands, palms out towards her, in a gesture that would hopefully reassure her that he meant no harm. Eventually, her tension eased and Noah was able to stand. While he was not a small man, he towered over the fae in a way he didn't around others. At her question, she shook his head. "I am not. I was simply exploring. A few people and I do a lot of research about Caido's flora and fauna." While their name was the Monster Hunters Guild, the hunting had been little to none as of late. They were still gathering information. He wasn't even sure where Aisha's quest for this knowledge had taken her.

"When you said grandmother -- who did you mean?" Noah asked her, looking out around the forest. She had said she needed to harvest a branch, which indicated a tree. Trees, as far as Noah knew, were not sentient in the way people were, much less able to produce offspring in a way that would tie them to others as grandparents.

Let it be the only one
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Nephele
by those who do evil
Hawk-gold eyes dart to his open palms, wings like hackles slowly smoothing downward to a more natural relaxed position instead of preparing to dart away into the skies. Curiosity tilts her head in a birdlike manner, wildfire hair cascading down to contrast against the pitch material that hangs about her shoulders. "I am a botanist, should you have any questions," she offers in an uncharacteristic show of kindness. Those of the scientific persuasion more easily maneuvered past the guards around her heart and mind.

Humming softly at his confusion, her wings turn her in midair to gaze upon the Mathair. "Mathair - our grandmother. A goddess of the forest, and the changing of seasons, who lived in this tree. Her magic was interwoven into the very land, like the root systems of trees." Drifting closer she lays her palm against the scorched wood, and though her face can only be partially seen, it hardens into something dark and deadly. "She was wounded, and chased out of her home, by The Voice. She brought her Ascended here, and killed many of our warriors who valiantly tried to defend the goddess. The tree was scorched, and we have been searching for her ever since." That she still lived was the only faith that kept her going sometimes.

Turning back to Noah, still hovering easily above the earth, Nephele's fingers caress the material around her shoulders. "Ludo bid me to harvest one of her branches, that it might make something for me." What, exactly, she wasn't sure - but for all their rocky start, Nephele trusts Ludo, and she's sure whatever she receives will aid her in her fight against the Ascended.
but by those who watch
without doing anything
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH
My eyes have come undone
As Nephele continued to soften before him, Noah did too. He lowered his hands and smiled at her offer of help -- surely it would come in useful one day, if not today. As she went on to explain exactly what she meant, Noah nodded. He had read stories and accounts of what the Mathair meant to the fae. What the Mathair was at its core though was unknown to the hunter.

"I can help." Noah offered, his jaw feathering as she mentioned the ascended. His hatred for the Voice and her followers continued to grow as he gained more and more information of what they had done. Next, he was sure, they would go for his home's own deity. The Eirachi was powerful, but against the Voice he was not sure she could stand. "Especially if it aids you and your people against the ascended."

Let it be the only one
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Nephele
by those who do evil
He has a handsome smile, she thinks distantly as they both relax around one another like uncertain animals. But they are kindred sorts, and it eases the trepidation, the instinctive raised hackles as animal perceives animal.

It soothes her only further in a way to hear the bite of bared fangs behind his words against the Ascended. Kinship sparks like embers in her hawk-gold gaze. “Thank you. I am Nephele of Sidhe,” she introduces, fluttering over to him to extend her hand, “of family Amoret. Greatwood guide you. The habitual saying slips out in the natural Fae tongue, but even to his ears it will sound cordial, friendly. Whether he takes her hand or not, she turns to look at the branches overhead.

“We do not have many iron weapons, as they harm us. It will be arduous work, but I can rope it so that I can lower it to you to prevent it crashing to the ground?” If Noah has other tools they would not go amiss, but even his assistance in catching the branch would make the harvesting more respectful.
but by those who watch
without doing anything
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH
My eyes have come undone
"Noah Olson, of Halo." He extended his hand to shake hers, and was glad that even in this place where he knew very little there were still universal, cultural truths and commonalities that spanned across all of Caido. It was simple, but Noah felt even more at ease as they shook hands. The smallness of her hand was not lost on him as he all but devoured her fingers in their handshake. He was careful not to squeeze too hard -- but just enough to make sure his greeting was strong and respectable.

"I can summon animals for assistance as well..." Noah said, gesturing vaguely towards the forest. Surely, if she were so comfortable with his form as a cat, there must be some others in the vastness of her home. "That way we aren't encumbered from bringing it down and carrying it." It was just a thought, a leveling thought helpful thought, but he would follow the lead that she gave.

If she accepted, Noah would close his eyes momentarily and call forth forest creatures for help.

Let it be the only one
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Nephele
by those who do evil
Halo. The place in the North, cold and biting, and yet his hand is warm and rough when she takes it in her own. Her bones may be delicate beneath his, but the strength in his squeeze as he does not shy from it is a gesture that strokes the last few standing hairs at her nape back to smoothness. "What brings you so far from your mountain range?" There is curiosity there in her golden eyes, as there always is.

Whatever it is that has driven him here - or pulled? - she is grateful for the assistance as it's offered. To say Nephele is independent is a vast understatement, as it would be for most any Fae. Still, she is a sharp woman, and the weight of the limb she intends to harvest a problem she had stalwartly told herself was one that could be dealt with when it came to fruition. To head it off at the pass is a relief. "It would make the task much easier," she agrees, unwilling to outright ask the man to utilize his gift. Still it is done, the rustle of undergrowth grabbing her ears once more, revealing a moose that is trailed by another, indomitable and towering but docile in the moment.

Uncertain how long his thrall would last, Nephele lets her wings carry her upward to the listing branch, touching the worn bark with gentle, reverent hands. It is an apology as equally as an expression of gratitude for what this branch will become, what it will help her achieve. Then she begins to saw away at the natural break where damage of some sort had occurred - it sours her insides to think perhaps it was during the battle with Ascended. She toils away, and only when the limb begins to creak and sway does she grab the looped rope from her hip to toss down to Noah after draping it over a stronger main branch. "It is almost time to begin pulling," she calls down, wanting him to be ready for the increase in tension in the rope as it begins to bear the weight of the falling branch.
but by those who watch
without doing anything
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH
My eyes have come undone
"Exploring, learning," The hunter replied simply with a warm smile and a slight turn of his jaw. He was always gathering information for the Monster Hunters Guild. In exploring a new to him land, gathering knowledge and observing, generally proved to be fruitful enough a task to be able to take back to his comrades.

The moose lumbered in as commanded, gruntling lowly and huffing as he lowered his great antlered head. Noah touched the creature's forehead before looping the rope through and betwixt firm antlers, making sure it was secure and firm and in no way would cause harm to his commanded creature. The moose grunted and stepped forward at Noah's mental command, pulling any slack out of the rope as the fae worked above them. At her prompting, Noah and the moose both pulled, steady and slowly, pulling the branch down and free until it came crashing down to the forest floor. "Now where does this need to go?" Noah asked, patting the moose's shoulder in appreciation as it stood beside him, shifting its weight with anticipation.

Let it be the only one
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Nephele
by those who do evil
“Noble pursuits. I am a scholar myself. What is it you seek to learn?” Or was he combining the act of pursuit of knowledge with the act of adventuring, letting it come to him naturally? For Nephele the two were not compatible, but she was a scholar of a different breed. Single-minded and intent.

Nephele admires the moose for a moment, majestic in its massive presence, as she watches with bated breath as the branch is supported on powerful shoulders and antlers. Uncertain whether she worries more for the branch or the creature at Noah’s bidding. Still, all ends up well, and Nephele’s smile is genuine - and rare at that - as she descends through the remaining branches to settle with a whisper of feet on grass at Noah’s side. One arm rises to direct towards the main path, remaining for now in the transient, ever-shifting nature of the woods. “I have a small shelter I made nearby to cut it into manageable pieces without carrying it all the way to the Village.” Lifting back off her feet with a hum of gleaming copper wings, she drifts closer to Noah, closer than before with a sense of camaraderie besting newly in her breast.

Winding the rope so the moose wouldn’t trip on it, she loops it over the branch as they begin to walk. “Do you follow a certain herald?” Nephele is not usually the type for small talk but with the nature of their meeting and the distance yet to cover, it’s a better alternative than silence.
but by those who watch
without doing anything
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH
My eyes have come undone
The moose waited patiently, as Noah commanded it. The fae wrapped up the rope and, with the prompting, fell in step behind the hunter and the fae as she led the way. "Mostly our guide exists to understand the creatures of Caido, and to be able to keep peace between them and the people." It was a simple explanation that left out the hunting part of their guild, which often times meant to kill the creatures terrorizing populations in favor of peace for the people.

Noah nodded to her, having only to look at her from the corner of his eye given their current proximity. "Frey." He arched an eyebrow at her, volleying into his following statement. "I'd be hard pressed to say that I don't assume you follow Ludo, given your attire." His arched brow curved even higher as his lips curled into a smirk. "I'd be shocked if you said another."

When they arrived at their destination, the moose shook the hefty branch from its antlers and snorted. Noah patted it's side, mentally offering his thank you before the moose headed back out into the forest, to exist as moose did.

Let it be the only one