what baking can do
Open
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
and look for the stars as the sun goes down
each breath that you take has a thunderous sound
Amalia is standing outside an empty store for absolutely no reason at all.

That's what she tells herself, anyway. That the only reason she keeps walking on this road is because it's scenic. That the modest stone storefront doesn't remind her of another shop, miles and lifetimes away. That she hasn't wondered about the state of the kitchen, hasn't imagined the counter full of baked treats, hasn't begun subconsciously taking stock of the vendors nearby that would sell the supplies she'd need.

And right now? Right now, she's definitely not peering in through the windows, trying to get a better view of the space. It couldn't work, anyway - she's far too busy, she reminds herself, though if asked with what she's not sure she could say.
Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
the lullaby
And you should know,
I left but never lost my place
The last person the alchemist thought he'd bumped into on a supply-run was Amalia. Famously hidden away in the Tower doing gods-knew-what important research about relics and libraries and such, Remi wasn't sure whether or not he ought to interrupt her from...lurking? before an empty storefront or not.

"Boo."

Turning, or perhaps in the reflection of the window, Amalia will find a rather hulking demigod suddenly at her side, wearing a smile and faded chambray shirt. "I was starting to think you were actually locked away in the Tower. We thought you might need to be rescued." They didn't, not really, but it was an amusing enough idea to bat around the dinner table.
and these nights I miss you most
my heart is yours to break
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Boo.

The alarm with which the Angel turns is probably the first sign that something has changed, her fingers reaching instinctively for the hilt of a sword that is not there. Only when she registers that it's Remi behind her does the girl relax , a light flush contrasting against the bags beneath her eyes.

"Long time." Where Remi is hulking Amalia is wiry, the recent seclusion and it's accompanying loss of weight even more evident as she stands before her friend. Her empty hands drop down to her sides; she smiles slightly at Remi's playful words, a rueful, tired thing. "The Temple, actually- and no. If anyone needs rescuing it's Gideon from me." Too-slender shoulders rise and fall in a shrug.

With one last look she steps away from the storefront, and all the dreams she doesn't have. "I meant to visit but..." Another shrug as she trails off, looking at the ground. She'd already turned to him once when her life imploded. It would be rude to repeat the act.
Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
the lullaby
And you should know,
Despite her somewhat aggressive turn, Remi's smile doesn't waiver nor does his own posture shift. There is precious little in this world capable of truly wounding him, and even an explosive outburst from Amalia wouldn't scratch the surface. The line between self-assured and full of himself is not one that Remi walks with any sort of confidence these days, but such is the life of a demigod.

"Very long." He agrees, his eyes dipping down towards her pale skin that doesn't seem to have experienced any of Longheat's sun, nor any of its accompanying meals. "Well, consider yourself rescued then." Remi replies sunnily, trying not to wonder how much water he could place in the hollows of her collarbones, nor to stare at the rocky outcropping of bone from her shoulders.

"We have all been there." He says with a dismissive shake of his head. Gods knew that he and Ronin had gone off and on the grid more times than he could count let alone remember. "This life...well. At least we understand." He meant to say something like this life asks terrible things of us, or we get good at picking up the pieces and moving on, but it all sounded hollow and flat in his mind.

"Mateo has been spending a good amount of time with the florist next door to us. He keeps asking which plants he can eat. You wouldn't happen to know, would you? Normally I would go in for trial and error, but.." Well. He wanted to keep his son alive.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
This unflappably sunny Remi who talks about children and bakers is rather a shock to Amalia; were it not for the unmistakable physical changes in him, she might think they were back in the Hollowed Grounds laughing and discussing cakes, years and lifetimes ago. But this place and this person are not what she remembers: Amalia and Remi are both more and less than those sunny, bygone youth.

Is there a fine mist of tears in her eyes, or is that just the light of her halo? Either way Amalia suddenly looks away, her voice gruff with gratitude for something she didn't know she needed. "I... Yeah. Thank you," is the muted, murmured answer that doesn't say everything she feels. But validation, the feeling of being seen- well. The Shield trusts Remi to understand just how much it means.

But then things shift to flowers and children. The tension has drained from Amalia's features, replaced by weariness and curiosity. "Hmm," she muses thoughtfully, "Some of them. The ones that grow in the Grounds too, yes- and I'm trying to learn some of the others. To bake with." It's the only thing that's kept her sane in these long, long weeks.
Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
And you should know,
He might have reached out for her, to draw her into a silent hug were it not for the things that would happen if he did. Such was the price of being able to draw emotions up from those he touched, and so instead of breaching her privacy, the alchemist merely offers her as understand a smile as he can possibly manage.

'Maybe we could come by sometime..?" Realizing then that perhaps Amalia was thinking of starting a bakery up once more, Remi straightens and turns to look at their warped reflections in the dusty glass. "Are you thinking of moving in here? Ronin did all the work for us when we took over the building just a block away, but it was not a complicated process." Folding his arms comfortably across his chest and imagining just how fat Ronin might get if Ama's bakery was on the way to the breakfast cart in the morning, he chuckles fondly before swinging his gaze back to Ama.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
She wants to lean in for a hug, just as he wants to give it, but of course she knows just what he's capable of. And as much as Amalia may wear her feelings on her sleeve, the aching loss that gnaws in her chest isn't something she's ready to share. Thus they exchange smiles and little else, the girl wrapping her arms around herself in an unconscious act of self-soothing.

"Come over-? Oh." Heat creeps uninvited up Amalia's neck and onto her cheeks. She turns back to the empty storefront, wistfully biting at her cheek. "No, I... I think about it, sometimes, but..." she trails off into a shrug, still staring at the dusty windows and trying not to picture warmth and laughter tucked within. "How do you do it, Remi? Run a shop, have a family, and serve your god?" She shakes her head, tired and impressed. "I can't even manage one."
Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
And you should know,
"But..." He prompts with a leading smile, before it fades somewhat before growing decidedly crooked. "Poorly, most of the time." He admits with an easy laugh. "Ronin and I have had our fair share of difficulties. Though, ever since we started being brutally honest with one another and keeping nothing back, things have been much better. As for the shop..." Were Ama to come over, she'd find dozens of projects in various states of completion. The back room was littered with random objects and sketches of things he wanted to make if only he had the time.

"Even though I do not spend as much time in my shop as I would like, it helps remind me that life is not all war-fighting and impossible choices. Sometimes it is nice to just go there and intentionally block it all out." Ignorance might be bliss, but wilful ignorance was divine.

'Just last week Ludo told me it might have made a mistake choosing me, so..." He shrugs his shoulders, seemingly unbothered by the chaos he'd just described as his life. "...I think sometimes you have to just do what you need so that you do not explode."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"At least you're still together." None of the bitterness in her voice is meant for Remi, but still a bite of envy colors her dark voice. All of Amalia's choices gave left her where she began: lost, alone, struggling against stream. Tiredly she rubs against her wrist, thumbing over a scar that isn't there. "That sounds nice," she agrees wistfully, eyes drifting back to the clouded window. "Maybe..."

But then Remi confesses something serious in so nonchalant a tone it gives her whiplash. Amalia's head snaps back around; "It said that? Why?" She reaches for Remi and then hesitates, thinking better. "What will you do?"
Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
And you should know,
"Mmhm." He hums, not needing to touch her skin to know that he probably shouldn't take the bite in her voice personally. Even if it's latent jealousy over her brief tryst with Ronin, the alchemist wouldn't mind. He'd be jealous too, and was, often, of Ronin and his time spent with others.

Smiling softly at how her hand starts and then stops, Remi pulls in an understanding breath as he shoves his hands in his pockets as if to relieve them both of the urge. "I very nearly killed someone. With...out...a reason that everyone would agree with." The words are said slowly as Remi's mind tries to fix the best way to say it. Eventually, he gives up and lets the rest of it tumble out. "Ronin said he thinks I will be the one to incite this war, and I mentioned as much to Ludo. It said it was not up to me, but to someone like Vi or Mort, and when I disagreed..." Trailing off only to open and close his mouth like a fish to indicate his confusion, Remi shrugs again.

"Apparently I have become a little too eager for war, even for the herald of death."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
I very nearly killed someone. "Who?" It takes a fair bit of self control for Amalia to school her expression as she remembers an incident out on the water, where Remi very nearly killed her. Fortunately Remi's words tumble out and bury the flash of pain and fear that rolls like thunder through Amalia's ears, giving her time to form an entirely new reaction to this new twist of fate.

"Do you... want the war to start?" It's Amalia's turn to form her words slowly as she tries to organize her own thoughts on the matter. Turning from Remi, she looks back at the cloudy window and the promises that lay unfulfilled within. Her arms pull tighter across her chest, and when she speaks again her voice is soft, wistful and nostalgic for all they've lost. "Sometimes.. sometimes I wish it would. Just so it could be over, and we could go back to how things were before."
Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
And you should know,
"Nate." He replies with a weary sigh. The alchemist's thoughts when it comes to the ascended are complicated to say the least. Just now he has no inclination to go after him, but he's sure it wouldn't take much for Nate to rile his fury again. "Want to? No." Remi answers quickly, perhaps too quickly. Furrowing his brow, he considers for a few seconds more, before giving his shoulders a boyish shrug. "I mean...as it is, Wessex is the only one who is strong when it comes to the ascended. If the war were to start now, we would have the advantage, so..."

Remi nods in dark agreement. It isn't a thing easily said, and likely all the more difficult for someone like Amalia. "Hey...you don't...feel like attacking me, do you?" Said with boyish charm, Remi raises his brows and offers the Angel a sunny smile. "Ludo has let me...mimic the abilities of other demigods. But only if I'm injured by them first." He shrugs, as if this is all just par for the course when it comes to Ludo.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Nate. The name makes Amalia's eyes narrow, a low growl vibrating unbidden from her throat. "What did he do now?" She can't say she blames Remi for that particular murderous tendency, though she also can't pinpoint why.

But then they've moved onto the lesser and greater of the Ascended, and though it brings a lump to her throat and fresh pallor to her cheeks Amalia has to nod. "If we took her that might be enough to make the others stand down," she agrees, trying not to think about how desperately she doesn't want to take her one-time mentor. It's part of what's carved such deep hollows in her cheeks, the knowledge that one day it might - will - come to that.

Remi's abrupt change of topic is... Startling, but not unwelcome. Blinking, the Angel turns to fix the Lullaby with a briefly bemused look... Before shrugging, because after all, stranger things and that. So instead of agreeing she simply sends a gust of wind surging toward her friend, while simultaneously summoning a pane of hard glass behind his shins, intending to send the behemoth that is Remi toppling to the ground... Or at least to make him stagger a little.
Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
And you should know,
The list of things Nate hasn't done is likely shorter, not that Remi says so. "I apologized to Sunjata after what happened with Vai...I even let him hit me in a dream and said he could kill me as well, if it would help. I thought we left things as resolved as they could be. But then Nate found me in an alley, so I let him take a few swings as well to get it out of his system." Remi's jaw feathers. At the time he'd thought this was the right thing to do. That if Nate felt like he'd accomplished something, then the matter could be put to bed at last. "But I think it only made it worse. He can't hurt me and seeing it for himself...so then he threatened to come back with more power. From the Voice, presumably." Rubbing between his eyes, Remi gives another boyish shrug as his hand falls back to his side. "I bumped into him the other day, and he just...he kept pushing me." Metaphorically and literally. 'And now with what is happening with Hotaru it...it is just a mess.' Did Ama know about that yet?

Honestly, Remi doesn't expect Ama to just...agree. Not so abruptly as she does, anyway. Shoved backward, the alchemist's wings flare outward as he tries to steady himself. The silent arrival of light turned sharp is unexpected as well, and it cuts neatly into his skin. Rising up into the air once he realizes that he can't continue to step backward, Remi spins and looks at the shards of glass that glitter with sunlight and blood. "Wow, Ama." He grunts, impressed, as drops of blood splatter onto the pavement below where he hovers.